PDA

View Full Version : Finnish Army

Denise
01-10-07, 21:16
I just found out that an ancestor, Heikki Kinnunen, born about 1864-1866, was a Captain in the Calvary of the Finnish Army. Where can I find out more on this subject? and is it possible that a list exists that his name may appear on? I know very little about him as I've just begun researching that family. Thank-you for your efforts as they are much appreciated. :D

Sincerely,
Denise

Gunnar Damström
02-10-07, 05:04
In 1878 the Finnish Diet enacted a law regarding compulsory military service. According to the law, every Finnish citizen turned 21 was eligible for military service for the defense of the Crown and the Fatherland. However, only a small fraction of the population was drafted for the three-year service (two years if you had completed elementary school; one year if you had completed high school). The total force was 5600. The draftees served in eight battalions, one for each province. In addition all eligible citizens were provided 90 days military training. The training was concentrated to the summer months.

The officers and non commissioned officers of the battalions were Finnish citizens. The command language was Russian. The officers were trained at the Hamina Military Academy. Since there was a limited demand for officers in the Finnish battalions a large number of the graduates from the Academy still sought commissions in Russian regiments.

Denise
02-10-07, 22:36
Hi Gunnar,
Thank-you for the information. I understand Heikki Kinnunen was quite the disciplinarian, and now I know why! Anyway, are there records available that you know of with the names of the military men?

Thank-you.
Denise

bert
06-10-07, 10:19
Hej Denise
Here is something who mayby could help you find your captain.
http://www.suku.fi/genos/indexr.htm
BR

Denise
06-10-07, 16:43
Hi Bert,
Thank-you for the link. I've browsed through it but was unable to find Heikki Kinnunen. Is there a specific section I should look at to find him? I can't read it, as I don't speak or read any other language but English :( I can decifer some words in Finnish and Swedish, but very little. I truly do appreciate your effort in helping me. Thank-you,

Best Regards,
Denise

Gunnar Damström
08-10-07, 01:18
Denise.
You could fax your inquiry to the War Archives in Helsinki (in English) Krigsarkivet - Sota-arkisto,Verkstadsgatan 6 - Työpajankatu 6, 00580 Helsingfors
Customer service, fax nr +358 9 1812 6512. Ratsuväenarkistot (cavalry archives). Let me know if you receive the desired information.
Gunnar

Denise
08-10-07, 16:25
Hi Gunnar,
Thank-you for the fax number of the War Archives in Helsinki. Would they also have information on members of the Red Guard that died during the Finnish Civil War? I appreciate your help.

Sincerely,
Denise

Gunnar Damström
08-10-07, 17:14
You could try the following website: http://vesta.narc.fi/cgi-bin/db2www/sotasurmaetusivu/main?lang=en . Let me know if you find the information you looked for.

Gunnar

Denise
08-10-07, 18:04
Hi Gunnar,
O.K. I already have the information from the War Victims site on the Finnish Civil War. I was hoping maybe there might be further information at the War Archives in Helsinki. Anyway, thank-you, and I will let you know if I get info. back on Heikki Kinnunen from Helsinki.

I appreciate your time and effort,
Denise

Gunnar Damström
10-10-07, 06:23
I asked my frends to check the following book: Keisarillinen Suomen kadettikoulu 1812-1903. Haminan kadetit kolussa ja maailmassa. JS BN 951-31-2875-X. It is a matrikel of all officers graduated from the Hamina (Fredrikshamn) Imperial Cadet Academy 1812-1903. Heikki Kinnunen is not mentioned. Would he have an aka?

Denise
10-10-07, 13:29
Hi Gunnar,
I faxed my request to Helsinki a couple days ago, and maybe they'll turn something up. But, it's funny that I can't find a death record for him either. Lake View Cemetery in Calumet has him listed in their records as Henry Kinnunen. I know at one point the family changed the surname to Kinonen, and that is what my uncle goes by today, but other than maybe Heikki's father's first name being Antti, could be Andersson? Could it be possible that he did not graduate and wasn't listed? Or would one have to graduate to be considered a Captain? I'll let you know if I get any results from Helsinki.

Thank-you for checking on this for me.
Sincerely,
Denise

Denise
10-12-07, 22:26
Thanks to Gunnar's help I just received Heikki Kinnunen's Military Records from Helsinki which I hopefully can attach all in one post. There are many other names on these records besides Heikki's, such as the surnames of Hjerppe, Jarvela, Raappana, Moilanen, Hiltunen, Laitinen, Ristiniemi and a few others.

Thank-you so much Gunnar!!! :D

Best Regards,
Denise

O.K. My file was too large to attach, even compressed, so I will have to split this up in 2 posts. Sorry!

Denise
10-12-07, 22:40
I'm sorry, but now the site will not let me do another attachment. I keep getting a "database error" and the technicians are aware of the problem. I will try to post the rest later this evening! :mad:

Denise

Gunnar Damström
10-12-07, 22:47
Bummer. Glad you found Heikki Kinnunen. Interesting journal.
Gunnar

Denise
11-12-07, 04:23
Here is Part 2 of the military records on Heikki Kinnunen. :) and I guess I'm going to have to do three more posts as the file is still too large!

Denise
11-12-07, 04:27
Part 3 :cool:

Denise
11-12-07, 04:30
Part 4 :rolleyes:

Denise
11-12-07, 04:36
Part 5 :D

And, since I cannot read or speak Finnish, I would appreciate some assistance in the translation of these documents if there is anything of importance about Heikki that was not written in English from the archives to me on page 1. :o

Thank-you so much!!!

Denise

Gunnar Damström
11-12-07, 07:04
Denise. The only additional information I could find was that Heikki Kinnunen was not church confirmed and was not a good reader. I hope other Finlander readers have made a note of the meticulous records kept by the military archive of the old Finnish military. I was pleasantly surprised.
Gunnar

Denise
11-12-07, 13:04
Hi Gunnar,
Thank-you for the additional information on Heikki. I will pass it along to my uncle. Yes, the records are very nice and neat and I was also surprised. Am I correct in assuming that the last pages all connect side by side, and then you scroll across from the name to read them?

Thank-you again, Gunnar.

Sincerely,
Denise

Gunnar Damström
11-12-07, 17:17
That's the way it is. Please excuse my curiosity- did they charge you for the effort?

Denise
11-12-07, 17:49
Hi Gunnar,
Yes, they did charge me for their efforts; 54 Euros, which I believe is about $44. US dollars. They charge 53 Euros per hour. I hope my bank knows how to do this payment for me; actually I was a bit shocked at the price! :( Maybe I would feel better about it if it was a direct ancestor, and not my mom's sister's husband! He was very excited to get the records, but I don't have the heart to ask for payment from him as I am the one who went ahead and ordered these records without asking price first, and besides that, I faxed my request which was another $10. :eek: I guess my genealogy habit is getting quite expensive with full access subscriptions to Ancestry and the Institute of Migration. My mom asked me "what are you going to do when the well runs dry?" :D She doesn't understand the genealogy bug!!!

Best Regards,
Denise