PDA

View Full Version : From Stenvatten to Nybrann

Steven
10-10-07, 02:55
As I am new to this forum I would like to say hello to all of you!

Having lived in Jakobstad, I do speak and read Swedish, but not Finnish, unfortunately. My interest in family history has really taken hold - I've reached that age apparently - and my research has been quite successful on my grandmother's side (Lassfolk and Sandnabba), but I had a good bit of information to go on. More problematic is my grandfather Herman Andersson; I know he was born in Stenvatten, Purmo on Sept. 2, 1870. One sister was Selma Johanna Andersdotter born in 1886. It seems that the family moved to Nybrann before 1893, when Herman married Anna Lena Jakobsdotter (Lassfolk). The church records for births in Purmo apparently don't extend to the 1870's, so I haven't been able to determine Herman's father and mother. I wonder if anyone might be able to point me in the right direction?

Many thanks!

June Pelo
10-10-07, 04:22
Steven, Welcome to Finlander Forum!

It appears that Herman used the name Herman Andersson Waldenström, b. 16 Sep 1870, Purmo, d. 29 Jun 1934. He and Anna Lena had a son Frans Josef, married to R. M. Andersson and they had a daughter who married H. A. Lindell and had 4 children. There's data available on all these people, but no parents indicated for Herman. Jaska has some Purmo data and perhaps he might have something about Herman's parents. I'm sure he'll be reading this.

June

June Pelo
10-10-07, 04:33
In my Emigrant database the following names appear:

WALDENSTRÖM, Ellen Ellvira Stormåns-
b. 15 Sep 1905, Forsby, Finland To Canada

WALDENSTRÖM, Frans Josef Hermansson
b. 7 Aug 1914, Nybränn, Finland To USA

WALDENSTRÖM, Hans Göran
b. 1 Dec 1940, Nybränn, Finland To USA

WALDENSTRÖM, Jarl Erik
b. 13 Jun 1942, Nybränn, Finland To USA

WALDENSTRÖM, John Valfrid
b. 12 Oct 1903, Nybränn, Finland To Canada, Chicago, Illinois (1928),
Menlo Park, California (1968)

WALDENSTRÖM, Karin Margareta
b. 15 Feb 1948, Nybränn, Finland To USA

WALDENSTRÖM, Karl Alfred Hermansson
b. 2 Mar 1908, Nybränn, Finland To USA - Chicago, Illinois?

WALDENSTRÖM, Karl Gustav
b. 4 Dec 1943, Nybränn, Finland To USA

WALDENSTRÖM, Magnus Herman
b. 6 Jul 1911, Nybränn, Finland To USA

WALDENSTRÖM, Rakel Maria Andersdotter
b. 4 Apr 1921, Larsmo, Finland To USA

WALDENSTRÖM, Runi Karl Peter
b. 9 Jun 1950, Nybränn, Finland To USA

WALDENSTRÖM, Ruth Evelina Östman-
b. 3 Feb 1920, Forsby, Finland To USA

June

Steven
10-10-07, 05:13
Hi June! Thanks for such a quick response! Yes, you have identified 3 of my dad's brothers, John Valfrid, Magnus Herman, and Frans Josef. He had one other brother Anders, and 4 sisters; Maria, Esther Lillqvist, Anna, and Lea Helena. He also had some cousins; Carl Mikael Lillqvist (b. 1916) and Josef Magnus Johannes Lillqvist (b. 8/24/1918) whose mother was Selma Johanna Andersdotter, my grandfather's sister, and Henry Hugo Evert Nordling (b. 3/30/1909) whose mother's name I don't know but was another sister of my grandfather.

Jaska Sarell
10-10-07, 15:37
Jaska has some Purmo data and perhaps he might have something about Herman's parents.

Unfortunately not, at least not yet :(
There's Purmo microfilms available for births until 1875, so it will be easy to find the names (first and patronymic) of Herman's parents. It can then be compared with marriage records already in HisKi. As available communion books extend to 1867, some uncertainty exists if the parents married between 1868 and 1870.

Steven, at least we have common early ancestors in Kylänpää/Lassfolk and Kornjärvi lines. I have copied a bit from Släkten With including Anna Lena Jakobsdotter Lassfolk to my database, but not her family.

Will gladly do preliminary checks for Herman on my next visit to the NA.

:) Jaska

cdahlin
11-10-07, 22:11
Steven, Welcome to Finlander Forum!

It appears that Herman used the name Herman Andersson Waldenström, b. 16 Sep 1870, Purmo, d. 29 Jun 1934. He and Anna Lena had a son Frans Josef, married to R. M. Andersson and they had a daughter who married H. A. Lindell and had 4 children. There's data available on all these people, but no parents indicated for Herman. Jaska has some Purmo data and perhaps he might have something about Herman's parents. I'm sure he'll be reading this.

June

I know H.A. Lindell very well. He lives in USA today with his wife, but I see him every summer when he visits Forsby. Frans Josef died ab. 2 years ago and his home was sold on auction.

I do not know if H.A. Lindell's wife perhaps knows more about her grandfather and great grandparents. If you are interested I may try to find their adress or e-mailadress in USA.

There is also a chance that Tommy Olin in Purmo could have information about Herman. I am going to have a meeting with Tommy in a couple of weeks.

Christian

Denise
11-10-07, 23:33
I don't know if this obituary is any help, or even if it is the people you are looking for, but if it is I can get the addresses and phone numbers from the US Public Records on Ancestry. Let me know...

Denise

Alice D. (Lindell) Willmer
CHASSELL — Alice D. (Lindell) Willmer, 77, a resident of Willson Memorial Drive, Chassell, passed away at her home on Wednesday, Aug. 18, 2004, following a lengthy illness.
The former Alice D. Adams was born in Chassell on May 6, 1927, a daughter of the late Adolph and Delia (LaMarre) Adams.
She had resided in the Chassell area, the Hancock area and in Hoyt Lakes, Minn. for 10 years before returning to make her home in the Chassell area.
Her first husband, Herman A. Lindell, preceded her in death on March 22, 1952.
On Nov. 21, 1964, she was united in marriage to James Albert Willmer and he preceded her in death on April 25, 1996.
She was preceded in death by her parents; both husbands, Herman A. Lindell, James A. Willmer; and a daughter, Kathleen N. Willmer.
Surviving are a son, Robert Lindell of Armstrong Lake, Minn.; a daughter, Donna (Skip) Carlson of Aurora, Minn., Chris (Mike) Barbibeau Andre of Menominee, Mich.; nine grandchildren; four great-grandchildren; a sister, Roseanne (Ernest) Richard of Brainar, Minn.; a brother, Morris (Arlene) Adams of North Branch, Minn.; and numerous nieces and nephews; and her best friend, Mary Bezotte of Chassell.
Funeral services will be held Saturday, Aug. 21, 2004, at 11 a.m. in the Memorial Chapel Funeral Home in Chassell with Fr. Larry Van Damme to officiate. Burial to be in the Chassell Cemetery. Friends may call at the funeral home on Saturday from 10 a.m. until time of services.
Relatives and friends may go to www.memorialchapel.net to send condolences to the immediate family and view Alice’s obituary.

JDKotila
12-10-07, 03:04
Steven,

I searched the Finnish tax register for the years 1875 & 1880 and HisKi for the possible family of your Grandfather Herman Andersson.

Possibly the christening record of Herman's father Anders :

Purmo parish Christening records (HisKi)

Anders
b: 7.26.1850
c: 7.28.1850
farm:Stenvatten
father: Matts henriksson
mother: Maria Andersdotter {age:28}
-------------------------------------------

Henkikirjat {Finnish tax census register}
Year: 1875
Parish: Purmo
Vilage: Overpurmo
Farm/House: # 20 Stenvatten

Matts Henriksson
(wife:) Maria
children: Anders* (wife: Anna, 2 males/0 females children )
Johan
Anna

If Anders and Anna are Herman's parents, then Herman Andersson would be one of the 2 males listed
link to document:
http://digi.narc.fi/digi/fullpic.ka?kuid=627997&zoom=1&x=1&y=1&sx=400&sy=400

---------------------------------------------

Henkikirjat {Finnish tax census register}
Year: 1880
Parish: Purmo
Vilage: Overpurmo
Farm/House: # 20 Stenvatten

Anders Mattsson 1850
(wife:) Anna 1848
(brother?)Johan 1855
(mother) Maria 1822

link to document:
http://digi.narc.fi/digi/fullpic.ka?kuid=633872&zoom=1&x=1&y=1&sx=400&sy=400

If this does prove to be the family of Herman Andersson then you will be able to locate much more on them on HisKi database.

Best regards!
John Kotila
Michigan

Denise
12-10-07, 03:30
From the Institute of Migration Sheriff's Records:

Last Name First Name Home Parish Born In Date Destination
Valdenström Frans Josef Purmo 1914-Aug-07 1934 Sweden
Valdenström Johan Valfrid Purmo 1903-Oct-13 1928 Canada
Valdenström Karl Alfred Purmo 1908-Mar-02 1937 America

Steven
12-10-07, 21:23
Thanks very much to all who have responded to my query! Jaska, I wanted particularly to let you know that I have gotten a good bit of information from Tommy Olin (I had sent an e-mail just before joining this forum, but I have had some difficulties with my e-mail software and wasn't that confident it was working). I had a picture of my dad by a gravestone at Purmo cemetery with the initials A M S Nybran, born 1850 died 1895, and wondered if that might have been my great grandfather. I found an Anders Mattsson Stenvatten born in 1950, but nothing more. Well, that was my great grandfather, and his wife was from Esse, where they were married in 1869. That would be the Anders born to Mats Henriksson and Maria Andersdotter that show up in the tax records. And now it looks like he had a brother, Johan. Thanks JD! And thanks also Denise - I know my unce Johan Valfrid emigrated well before the others, but I didn't know when.

Steven

Jaska Sarell
13-10-07, 01:06
Hi Steven,

Your message fits well with the details I gathered today.
Herman was born on 2 Sep 1870, christened on 4 Sep.
Parents: bdeson Anders Mattsson Stenvatten, hustru Anna Johansdotter [age 22]
Godparents: bden Henrik Henriksson Stenvatten, hustru Maja Andersdotter, drg Anders Karlsson Herberge och pig Maja Mattsdotter Stenvatten --- (these include Anders' uncle with wife and his sister)

The only suitable Anders Mattsson living at Stenvatten in 1867 was the one John mentioned, born 26 Jul 1850. His parents were Matts Henriksson Stenvatten b. 8 Feb 1821 and Maja Greta Andersdr Stenvatten, b. 14 Apr 1822. Maja Greta was a sister of Johan Andersson Stenvatten, b. 6 Apr 1821, about whose wife David Bawden recently queried.

Anders Mattsson married on 28 Nov 1869 in Esse with Anna Johansdr Tarvonen, b. 17 Oct 1848. Her parents were bondemåg Johan Mattsson Kiisk, b. 15 Jun 1820 and Clara Andersdr Tarvonen, b. 19 Jan 1823.

I attach a chart of a few ancestors, as they appear in my database. Matts Henriksson's mother's name seem to vary in HisKi data, Maja Lena or Greta Lisa (patronymic variation Simonsdr and Pehrsdr may mean her father was named Simon Petrus). The Hoffman folks in Pedersöre is not so clear either.

:) Jaska

June Pelo
13-10-07, 02:10
Jaska wrote: Anders Mattsson married on 28 Nov 1869 in Esse with Anna Johansdr Tarvonen, b. 17 Oct 1848. Her parents were bondemåg Johan Mattsson Kiisk, b. 15 Jun 1820 and Clara Andersdr Tarvonen, b. 19 Jan 1823.

Just thought I'd mention that Johan Mattsson Kiisk and Clara Andersdotter Tarvonen were Karl-Gustaf Molander's morfarfarmor (maternal great great grandparents), through their son Matts Backsholm. Clara's name has sometimes been recorded as Clara Mickelsdotter Tarvonen, according to Karl-Gustaf.

June