PDA

View Full Version : Justus Valkama from Keuruu

Eriksson
28-10-07, 19:12
This time I am searching for info about Justus Valkama who was born in 1874 in Keuruu, Finland. His wife was Ottilia Viitala, born 1880, and they had five kids: Reino, Vilho, Meimi, Einari and Saima. Children were born between 1900-1905.

About 1905 or 1906 Justus moved to North America and never came back. He died probably in 1930's or 1940's.

His descendants don't know where he resided or when he passed away, so I am trying my luck to find any clues via Internet. Unfortunately, this is big longshot as no one knows even the fact did he go USA or Canada... If related people would know even a state that would help much - now this is a very difficult request!

Thankful for all information!
Marko

Denise
29-10-07, 12:52
Hi Marko,
This may be the Justus you are searching for in this 1910 Census in Michigan.

Best Regards,
Denise

1910 United States Federal Census
Name: Justin Walkunn
[Justus Wolkann]
Age in 1910: 36
Estimated birth year: abt 1874
Birthplace: Finland
Relation to Head of House: Boarder
Father's Birth Place: Finland
Mother's Birth Place: Finland
Home in 1910: Stambaugh, Iron, Michigan
Marital Status: Married
Race: White
Year of Immigration: 1906
Neighbors: View others on page
Household Members: Name Age
Alfred Falander 48
Rika Falander 44
Grace Emil Falander 20
Walter Falander 15
George Falander 13
Tamey Falander 10
Raphael Falander 8
Oscar Falander 4
Gust Anderson 23
Albert Alford 21
Oscar Aland 22
Jacob Sircken 23
Matt Leppanen 27
Andrew Wirtarian 23
Justin Walkunn 36
Isaac Nierni 36
Nicolas Saetarenen 21
Peter Mathla 21

Source Citation: Year: 1910; Census Place: Stambaugh, Iron, Michigan; Roll: T624_652; Page: 19A; Enumeration District: 145; Image: 221.

Source Information:
Ancestry.com. 1910 United States Federal Census

Denise
29-10-07, 12:56
OOOPs! Forgot to attach the census.

Sorry! :o

Denise

Eriksson
29-10-07, 13:02
Hi and thank you for the census! Do you have a change to look at that Justus Wolkann from census's of 1920's and 1930's as well? He really may be the person I am searching for...

Marko

Denise
29-10-07, 13:30
Hi Marko,
Here is Justus' border crossing from Canada to the U.S. He was going to Crystal Falls, Michigan to brother-in-law, Kaappo Rintala's?

Denise

Border Crossings: From Canada to U.S., 1895-1956
Name: Justus Walkamaa
Arrival Date: 13 Oct 1906
Birth Date: abt 1874
Birth Country: Finland
Race/Nationality: Finnish

Ship Name: Ionian
Port of Arrival: Quebec, Canada
Port of Departure: Liverpool, England

Source Information:
Ancestry.com. Border Crossings: From Canada to U.S., 1895-1956

Denise
29-10-07, 13:34
Hi Marko,
I browsed through 1920 and 1930 Census records, but didn't find him yet. I'll keep looking. If I find nothing more, I'll call the Iron County clerk's office and order a death record, if they have one, as it's only a few dollars.

Sincerely,
Denise :)

Eriksson
29-10-07, 13:50
Thanks again, this time you found something more than I could expect: Kaappo Rintala is my great grandfather and at last I know where he resided while being in USA! This far I have only supposed that he was in Michigan but no idea about more exact place. Just fantastic! How could I find more information about Kaappo?

However, your finding also proves that "Justus" is Justus. So if you can find same man from census' of 20's or 30's we can be sure that it is he.

Marko

Denise
29-10-07, 15:29
Hi Marko,
This is getting interesting. The Rintala's were very good friends, and or, family of mine. I still have not completed my family genealogy in Crystal Falls, but I just spoke with my mother, who seems to think they were good friends of my great grandmother, and grandmother. Also, I have a picture of an Annie Rintala, which I will attach. Although, the Rintala's may have been related to Karen Norwillo, as the picture has her Fernquist relations in it. My great grandmother, Toini Palmgren, had a brother named Charlie, and Charlie was married to a Jenny Fernquist. They divorced, and Jenny Fernquist married to someone in Karen Norwillo's family, I believe a Fredrickson. That's how Karen Norwillo and I are related, and the Rintala's may be her family. I'll p.m. her, and find out.
Also there was a Valkama married to one of my Fraki's, and also a Matt Walkamaa that is on a list of people who attended my great-grandmother's son, Tauno's funeral. I know I have you totally confused by now, but I'll send you what I have, and will keep looking for more.

Denise

Denise
29-10-07, 15:43
Hi Marko,
I have a Riitta Anneli Valkama, b. 22 Aug.1945 married to a Jorma Eerik Fräki, b. 5 Dec. 1946 in my records.

Denise

Eriksson
29-10-07, 15:44
Hi you again

My great grandfather Kaappo stayed in USA only few years. He was there since 1901 and I guess he got back to Finland about 1907. And his family was here.

Actually I though he came to Finland in 1905, but the census you found tells that he was in USA still in late 1906! I believe now that he has visited in Finland at least once before moving permanently back.

So I'm afraid Annie Rintala and other Rintalas who were friends of your ancestors were not related to us! Sons of Kaappo's brother were in USA too but they resided in Hartford, Connecticut.

Marko

Karen Norwillo
29-10-07, 16:14
The Annie Rintala was actually Annie Rantala. She was married to my uncle Oscar Fernquist, and she was also a cousin on my father's side of the family.
Karl Palmgren (Charley) was the first husband of my Aunt Jennie Fernquist, my mother's half-sister. Her father was killed in a mine accident when she and her two brothers were very young. She was raised by my grandfather Stevenson. She then married Melvin Johnson, not Fredrickson. I have many pictures of Annie Rantala and alot of info about her family. You will find both the Rintala and Rantala name in Crystal Falls, my birthplace. They may have been from the same family, but took different spellings in the US. Possible. If you look at my Gedcom on Talko, it's all there. Karen

Karen Norwillo
29-10-07, 16:22
Denise,
I have that same picture. That is the wedding picture of Carl Palmgren and my aunt Jennie Fernquist. That is my aunt Annie Rantala and uncle Oscar Fernquist standing up for them. Karen

Denise
29-10-07, 17:27
Hi Marko,
I just faxed over my request to Iron County Clerk's office for a death record for Justus. She's looking it up, and I sent her a check for the research. Hope she finds him; it will probably be about 5-7 days before I hear from them. I'll keep in touch. I'm also continuing looking for him in 1920 and 1930 Census records, etc.

Regards, :)
Denise

Karen Norwillo
29-10-07, 20:54
Marko,
The Rantala and Rintala names are both found in Alahärma. My Annie descends from Esa, Esaias, Rantala born 24 Apr 1811 and died 13 Sep 1854. His wife was Elisabet, Liisa, Gustafsdotter Rengo. Next generation..Juho Esaiasson Rantala, married to Anna Antintytär Pesonen. Next generation Juho Juhonpoika Rantala 21 Sep 1870 in Alahärma, died 26 Apr 1928 in Crystal Falls. He was married to Maria Mathilda Peltola 23 Feb 1872 and died 11 Apr 1910 in Idaho. Annie was born 5 Jun 1899 in Stambaugh, Iron, MI.
I found two other entries for a Gabriel Rintala, one arrival on 11 Apr 1902 on the Germanic, says going to Montana. Again 25 Feb 1907 in Halifax going to Ishpeming, MI. 1902 has him as born abt 1869, the 1907 about 1873. Do either of these match your Kaappo? Kaappo/Gabriel was also my paternal grandfather's first name.
Karen

Eriksson
29-10-07, 22:20
Hi you

Our Rintalas are from Alavus and don't have any connection to Alahärmä. Even though the distance between those places is not a remarkable big.

However, many thanks again - hopefully county clerk's office can give us a little bit information about Justus!

Marko

Denise
30-10-07, 00:57
Hi Marko,
On the Institute of Migration there is also a record of Justus and he is going to Crystal Falls, Michigan.

Detailed passenger information
Last name Walkamaa
First names Justus
Age or age group 32
Port of departure Hanko
Place of destination Crystal Falls
State of destination MI
Country of destination USA
Price of ticket FIM 312
Ship from Finland Polaris
Date of departure from Finland 26.09.1906
Ship from England Ionian
Date of departure from England 04.10.1906
Ocean Line Allan Line
Port of departure in England *
List and page 46/92
Remarks *

Denise
30-10-07, 01:47
Hi Marko,
On the Institute of Migration I've found your great- grandfather, Kaappo Rintala.

Passport Information:
Last name Rintala
First names Kaappo
Other names *
Date of birth . .1873
Marital status 2
Religion Lut.
Occupation Loinen
Home parish Alavus
Province VAA
Passport date 31.10.1901
Passport number 2827
Passport valid (year:month) 5:0
Destination Amerikka
Passport issued by VAA
Remarks Sj vmo ja 6 lasta.

Detailed passenger information:
Last name Rintala
First names Kaapo
Age or age group 31
Port of departure Hanko
Place of destination Hancock
State of destination MI
Country of destination USA
Price of ticket FIM 297
Ship from Finland Polaris
Date of departure from Finland 02.11.1901
Ship from England *
Date of departure from England . .9999
Ocean Line Allan Line
Port of departure in England *
List and page 15/67
Remarks *

Denise
30-10-07, 18:03
Hi,
Found the 1920 Census. He's listed as Gust Walkama.

Denise

1920 United States Federal Census
Name: Gust Walkama
Home in 1920: Stambaugh, Iron, Michigan
Estimated birth year: abt 1875
Relation to Head of House: Hired Man
Marital Status: Single
Sex: Male
Year of Immigration: 1906
Able to read: Yes
Able to Write: Yes
Image: 484
Simon Steck 59
Katherine Steck 53
Katherine Steck 24
Agnes Steck 15
Anton Steck 23
Leona Steck 13
Walter Steck 18
Victor Koski 38
Gust Walkama 45

Source Citation: Year: 1920;Census Place: Stambaugh, Iron, Michigan; Roll: T625_773; Page: 5B; Enumeration District: 186; Image: 484.

Source Information:
Ancestry.com. 1920 United States Federal Census

Eriksson
30-10-07, 18:23
Could Gus be a same man? At least interesting detail that he is mentioned as "single". Maybe he was so long away from home that he forgot his wife in Finland...

Do you have an idea that does the Crystal Falls' clerk's office have information about persons' movings away from Crystal Falls? I'm wondering that my great grandfather Kaappo must have left Michigan soon after 1906 and I am curious to know the more exact time.

Marko

Kerstin
30-10-07, 19:14
Hello!

Border Crossings from Canada to US 1895-1956 about Kaapo Rintala
Name Kaapo Rintala
Arrival date 15 nov 1901
Age 29
Birth date abt 1872
Gender Male
Race/Nationality Finnish
Ship name Parisian
Port of Arrival Quebec Canada
Port of departure Liverpool England
He is coming from Vasa and he is going to his brother Juho Rintala in Hancoc Michigan

MVH Kerstin

Denise
30-10-07, 19:17
Hi Marko,
I would have to say that this Gust is Justus. I just called the County Clerk's office, and updated them that I found him in the 1920 Census, so they are doing a search for a death record after 1920. They do not have any records of "moving" as you do in Finland. I wish they did, as it sure would make searches easier here in the U.S. Were there other relatives that immigrated on your Rintala side of the family?

Denise

Eriksson
30-10-07, 19:40
Hi Kerstin and Denise! Thanks for the latest messages - this really is getting more and more interesting. Now Kerstin founded a document about Kaappo's arriving to USA: he had an older brother Juho and I didn't know he was too in Michigan!

There have been few relatives from Rintala side in USA but Kaappo, his brother Juho and sons (Salomon and Gust) of their other brother were the only ones who used that name. Few relatives of Kaappo's wife were in USA too.

Oh yes, and the connection between Kaappo and Justus are their wifes: they were sisters.

Denise
30-10-07, 20:08
Hi Marko,
Here is Kaapo Rintala's passenger record from the Canadian Archives.
http://www.collectionscanada.ca/
Regards,
Denise

Passenger Lists, 1865-1922
Detailed Description
View Image Results | Search
Ship: PARISIAN
Departure Port and Date (yyyy/mm/dd): Liverpool, England - 1901-11-07
Port and Date of Arrival: Halifax, N.S. - 1901-11-15
St. John, N.B. -
Remarks: Date of arrival could apply to either port, List Number: 105
Reference: RG 76
Microfilm: T-495

Denise
30-10-07, 20:15
Hi Marko,
Could this be the right Salomon Rintala?

Denise

1910 United States Federal Census
Name: Salomon Rintala
[Solomon Rintalo]
Age in 1910: 23
Estimated birth year: abt 1887
Relation to Head of House: Boarder
Home in 1910: Bates, Iron, Michigan
Marital Status: Single
Year of Immigration: 1904
George S Goulett 50
Mary G Goulett 32
Alfred G Goulett 7
Agnes A Goulett 1
Henry Bode 21
Albert Jewel 33
Dickie Remphrey 51
Willie Chartoncan 19
Salomon Rintala 23
Mike Dehoe 45
Victor Erickson 47
Thomas Lang 50
Nels Nelson 39
Johan Kasterincin 31
Alex Hangos 27
Pother Vankoenauvea 29
Carmine Markette 26
Walter Poplosky 27
Louis Illavais 19
Charley Smith 34
Joe Dickson 30
Anton Petruson 26
John Clarka 22
John Morris 40
Lucy Hardwick 23
Mathew Czvat 28
Mathew Feldy 36
Andrew Monosky 28
Tone Zuch 39
Joe Chepway 45

Source Citation: Year: 1910; Census Place: Bates, Iron, Michigan; Roll: T624_652; Page: 5A; Enumeration District: 137; Image: 12.

Source Information:
Ancestry.com. 1910 United States Federal Census

Eriksson
30-10-07, 20:47
Hello!

Have I understood right: Kaappo travelled first to Canada and from there to USA and Michigan?

However, I am now in believe that he went back to home around 1904 and soon returned to Michigan. Another trip to Finland must have been some time 1907-1909 and later, maybe 1910-1911 he went to North America yet one more time. And the permanent moving to Finland has happened about 1912 or 1913. This is my current theory...

Yes, that is "my" Salomon. I know that he resided later in Hartford, Connecticut. As far as I know he had no family. His brother Gust (also in Hartford) had a wife but it seems that they had no kids. They had a sister Sanna Katri Wirkkala in Fitchburg, Massachusetts and I know the names of her children, and some of them must still be alive, but I have no idea how to get their current names. I mean her daughters are married for sure and they are using another family name.

But about the original topic, take a look at this: http://www.rootsweb.com/~miiron/Stambaugh_Cemetery/Stam_Wa.htm

There is Justice Walkama of Crystal Falls, buried in 1948 - he was 73 year old. I have a feeling that this is Justus!

Marko

Denise
30-10-07, 21:00
Hi,
I called the Iron County Clerk's office again, and the death record for Justus has been mailed to me. Justus died on October 8, 1948. I should have the record in a few days, Marko, and then I will post it.
Yes, Kaapo travelled to Canada first, and then came over the Canadian border to Michigan.
Denise

Denise
30-10-07, 21:12
Detailed passport information
Last name Rintala
First names Juho
Other names *
Date of birth . .1861
Marital status 2
Religion Lut.
Occupation Mäkitupal. pka
Home parish Alavus
Province VAA
Passport date 18.11.1904
Passport number 3207
Passport valid (year:month) 5:0
Destination Amerikka
Passport issued by VAA
Remarks Sj vaimo ja 6 lasta.

Karen Norwillo
30-10-07, 21:26
Justus Walkama is on the Stambaugh Cemetery Index. Says grave located in section 9 lot 41, buried 11 Oct 1948, age 73, says listed in record grave not found. This is probably a notation from whomever was indexing the cemetry for MIGenWeb, Iron County. Probably no marker on grave. Karen

Karen Norwillo
31-10-07, 20:14
Here is Justus Walkama's WWI Draft Registration. He does name a wife in Finland.

Eriksson
31-10-07, 20:50
Hello

Thanks for the draft card! I will print it out and give descendants of Justus.

About Juho Rintala: as well as Kaappo Juho have been more than one time in USA. This is his second trip to there as he was in Michigan back in 1901 when Kaappo went to his place. Sad that in Alavus town (from where the men were from) they didn't book the returns of immigrants from North America. Otherwise it could be so easy to check how long people were abroad and when they came back...

Marko

Denise
01-11-07, 20:45
Hi Marko,
I just received Justus' death certificate which I have attached. :)

Regards,
Denise

Eriksson
01-11-07, 20:53
THANK YOU! I am sure his grandchildren and great grandchildren will be very pleased to get this paper.

You all have been very kind - big thanks! Don't know what to say as this is so much more that I could even hope.

Marko

Denise
01-11-07, 21:01
Hi Marko,
You are welcome! :D Many people have gone out of their way for me on this site, and I know how frustrating it can be when you can't get help. Let me know if you need anything else.

Best Regards,
Denise

Eriksson
01-11-07, 21:53
You bet: I can tell you that it is only a matter of time when I need help next time! There are plenty of related people out there in USA and Canada and some time I have to concentrate on their history as well.

Marko