PDA

View Full Version : Ekholm

April Phipps
04-11-07, 00:05
I am hoping that there is someone out there that will be able to help me find information on my grandfather's family. His name was Erick Ekholm, born in Finland on June 8, 1878 in either the Vra or Vaasa area. He came to America in 1896. I was told that he came through Canada and then to Colorado, where he was a miner. He changed his name from Ekholm to Holmes when he got to America. In 1904 he married my grandmother, Anna Lovisa Sundell (also from Finland), daughter of Johan Johansson Sundell and Lena Isaksdr Sktt in Colorado. He had a brother, Jacob Jacobson, who came to America in 1892. From what I was told, there was another brother, Alfred, who came over and stayed in Canada, as well as two sisters, that I don't have names for. My grandfather and grandmother lived for a time in Ballard, Washington, where my father, Alvin Holmes was born in 1907. By 1910, my grandparents had purchased land in Prosser, Washington, built a house and barn and raised four children; Alvin, Anna, Arthur and Walter. They farmed the land until they passed away, my grandmother on February 14, 1947 and my grandfather on July 16, 1954. Both my grandparents, my great-grandmother Lena Sundell and my grandfather's brother Jacob are buried in Prosser, Washington. Unfortunately by the time I became interested in tracing the family, there was no one left who could remember any family history, so I am hoping that there is someone who can help me fill in the blanks.

Denise
04-11-07, 01:31
Hi April,
On the Institute of Migration I found the passport of Erik Ekholm. :D

Regards,
Denise

Detailed passport information
Last Name Ekholm
First names Erik
Other names *
Date of birth . .1878
Marital status *
Religion *
Occupation Torpp. pka
Home parish Vyri
Province VAA
Passport date 08.04.1896
Passport number 782
Passport valid (year:month) 3:0
Destination Amerikka
Passport issued by VAA
Remarks *

Denise
04-11-07, 02:04
Hi April,
Erik Ekholm came through the port of Boston and was travelling with his cousin, Erik Nyquist, both going to Bessemer, Michigan to brother Johan Ekholm's. Here is his passenger record.

Denise

Boston Passenger Lists, 1820-1943
Name: Erik Ekholm
Arrival Date: 26 Apr 1896
Estimated birth year: abt 1878
Port of Departure: Liverpool, England
Ship Name: Bothnia
Port of Arrival: Boston, Massachusetts
Friend's Name: Johan Ekholm
Last Residence: Woro
Microfilm Roll Number: 18

Source Information:
Ancestry.com. Boston Passenger Lists, 1820-1943

Denise
04-11-07, 02:13
Hi April,
Here is Anna Lovisa Sundell's passport record and passenger record from the Institute of Migration. She was headed to Colorado.

Denise

Detailed passport information
Last name Sundell
First names Anna Lovisa
Other names *
Date of birth . .1878
Marital status *
Religion *
Occupation Torpp. tr
Home parish Vyri
Province VAA
Passport date 18.10.1900
Passport number 3089
Passport valid (year:month) 5:0
Destination Amerikka
Passport issued by VAA
Remarks *

Detailed passenger information
Last name Sundell
First names Anna
Age or age group 22
Port of departure Hanko
Place of destination Denver
State of destination CO
Country of destination USA
Price of ticket FIM 385
Ship from Finland Arcturus
Date of departure from Finland 20.10.1900
Ship from England *
Date of departure from England . .9999
Ocean Line Allan Line
Port of departure in England *
List and page 12/29
Remarks *

Denise
04-11-07, 02:27
Hi,
Here is Anna Sundell's Border Crossing from Canada to the US.

Denise

Border Crossings: From Canada to U.S., 1895-1956
Name: Anna Sundell
Arrival Date: 5 Nov 1900
Birth Date: abt 1878

Ship Name: Tunisian
Port of Arrival: Quebec, Canada
Port of Departure: Liverpool, England

Source Information:
Ancestry.com. Border Crossings: From Canada to U.S., 1895-1956

Karen Norwillo
04-11-07, 17:41
April,
Here are the 1930 census for Erik and Anna and his WWI Draft Reg.
There are so many Ekholm on the emigration lists, several females which might be the sisters, but without names hard to tell. There are several that fit the timeline by age. An Ebba Ekholm arrived in Boston 11 Aug 1906, age 18, b. abt 1888, going to Bro-in-law Adolf Ekstrom in Tyngsborg, Mass. Then there's a Lydia Ekhom, 17, b. abt 1892, arrives 4 Jul 1909 going to Minnie Ekstom in Mass. A Wilhelmina Ekholm arrived 2 Oct 1903 going to Quincey, Mass. This could be Minnie???
Found several Alfred Ekholm and Holms, Holmes etc in Canada.
Karen

Kerstin
04-11-07, 19:13
Hello!

There is an Lena Sundell arriving to New York on the 24 of july 1907. She is a widow and she is born abt 1849. She is coming from vr and she is going to her son in law Erik Holmes in Seattle Washington. Her nearest relative back in Finland is Anders Isaksson in Vr

MVH Kerstin

Karen Norwillo
04-11-07, 19:35
The Minnie Ekstrom could very well be the Wilhelmina Ekholm who came to Mass. in 1903. I found the family in several census in Tyngsboro or Tyngsborough, says US 1903. Won't send info until we're sure she's a relative. Karen

April Phipps
04-11-07, 20:13
Denise, Thanks so much for the information. I had been able to find my grandparents passport information earlier, but the problem I have is that once they left Finland I had no way to figure out my grandfather's side of the family, as all the web sites I have been on seem to have a gap in the years I was interested in. I am not sure that the Erick Ekholm that went to Michigan was my grandfather. My Uncle Art never mentioned a Erik Nyquist, nor a Johan Ekholm while he was alive, but then he was in his 90's when I became interested in researching my grandfather's family and he had trouble remembering family history. The only sibling of my grandfather that I knew of was Jacob Jacobson. I have been able to trace my grandmother's family back to the 1700's, but can't seem to go any further back than my grandfather on his side. I am hoping that there will be something that turns up and I will be able to find out about my great-grandfather Ekholm and his wife and the other siblings of my grandfather. I will see what I can find out about the Michigan connection and if it leads to Colorado where my grandparents met. Thanks again - I really appreciate your assistance!

April Phipps
04-11-07, 20:25
Kerstin, Lena Sundell is my great-grandmother. Last year I was able to find more information on her side of the family through ancestry.com, as well as find a distant cousin in Finland. It was through this connection that I learned that my great-grandmother's family took on the name of the farm, Sktt as their last name and did not use Karlander, which was the name I was looking for. I am not sure if this might be one of the reasons I am having difficulty with my grandfather Erick Ekholm's side of the family. Anyway, I very much appreciate any help I can get. Thanks!

June Pelo
04-11-07, 22:49
April,

Do you know the first name of Erick's father? I checked HisKi and Talko for an Erik, b. 8 Jun 1878 anywhere in Finland, but didn't find him. HisKi doesn't have Vörå records for 1878. Coincidentally, I noticed that Linus Torvald's great grandmother was Alexandra Ekholm from Pargas, b. 1870-1880.
June

June

April Phipps
05-11-07, 00:15
June,

I believe his father's name was Jacob and he died in 1919 in Finland. My Uncle Art had written down a family tree of sorts, which listed my grandfather, his brother Jacob, another brother Alfred and two sisters, who were not named. So far, I haven't been able to link my grandfather with any of his family in Finland. There was a letter from a cousin, Alfred Ekholm written in 1936 that was in my Uncle's papers, but I don't think it has much information to go on.

April

Karen Norwillo
05-11-07, 16:46
April,
You might try contacting Vörå for the information. The email address is vora*evl.fi (substitute the at symbol) or you can write to
Vörå forsamling
Bertby-Lålaxvägen 10
66600 Vörå FINLAND

I've had good luck asking from them. Much of my family is from this area.
Karen

Karen Norwillo
05-11-07, 20:32
April,

I was checking out the WAGenWeb for Benton county and it says there is a photo available of the tombstone of Erick Holmes and Arthur Franklin Holmes in East Prosser Cemetery. Erick Holmes died 16 July 1954 in Prosser and Arthur born 2 Oct 1912 died 1 Aug 2005. You may have this, but I thought I'd pass it on just in case. I tried following their link to view it online, but it wouldn't work I have an email address I will PM of the person who should be able to get you that photo if you need it. Karen