PDA

View Full Version : Finnish Tax Census

Denise
07-11-07, 14:51
I have been trying to understand how to read and research these Finnish Tax Census records http://digi.narc.fi/digi/fullpic.ka?kuid=499363&zoom=1&x=1&y=1&sx=400&sy=400, as I've been looking for my great grandfather, Heikki Tanskanen's birth of 19 Jan. 1880 in Polvijärvi, without success. I think I'm on the correct page to search, and I've found many Heikki Tanskanen's, but not knowing how to read or use these records is frustrating me. His parents were Antti/Anders Danskanen/Tanskanen, and Maria Karttunen.
I have searched all other resources without success, but Hiski, etc. records do not go to 1880. The only record I've found so far is off of LDS, as I know his parents names are correct, and there are 2 siblings listed, but Heikki is not.

Husband
Anders Danskanen

Birth: 05 FEB 1837 Juuka, Kuopio, Finland
Christening:
Marriage:
Death:
Burial:

Wife
Maria Karttunen

Birth: 15 MAY 1845 Kaavi, Kuopio, Finland
Christening:
Marriage:
Death:
Burial:

Children

1. Anders Petter Anderss. Tanskanen
Male

Birth: 03 NOV 1866 Karttula,Sotkuma, , Kuopio, Finland
Christening:
Death:
Burial:

2. Kaisa Stiina Andersdr. Tanskanen
Female

Birth: 30 AUG 1872 Sotkuma, Kontiolahti, Kuopio, Finland
Christening:
Death: 09 APR 1928 Jaaski, Viipuri, Finland
Burial:

If anyone can give me some pointers, or instructions on how to read these tax records, I would be thrilled, as I'm hoping to find his family.

Thank-you,
Denise

Jaska Sarell
07-11-07, 16:01
Hi Denise,

You should find something like:
Anders Tanskanen (or Danskanen) 37, h. Maria 45, followed by names of children and birth years
Often under-aged children are mentioned as a quantity only; b 2-3 means two sons and three daughters

That applies to 1880 records, earlier tax records are less informative.

I glanced quickly through those Polvijärvi records without finding perfect matches. I hope you are luckier :p

:) Jaska

Denise
07-11-07, 17:00
Hi Jaska,
At what age are children listed by name, instead of quantity? :rolleyes: And to what year are these tax census records recorded? Are there later ones than 1880, hopefully like the year 1900? And were they recorded every ten years like the U.S. Federal Census records? Also, the underlined name, would that be the farm name on the tax census?

Thank-you, :)
Denise

christer
07-11-07, 17:06
Hi Denise
I will take a look at Polvijärvi churchrecord on Saturday, looks like we have births,communionbook and childbook for that time period.

Christer

Denise
07-11-07, 17:23
Hi Christer,
I would appreciate your help... but I feel so bad that I have been unable to locate anything on your great grandfather, Kristian Kloo, in Bessemer, Gogebic County, Michigan. You've already gone above and beyond, helping me with the Kinnunen's. All I can say, is Thank God for people like you on this forum. You're awesome! :D

Thank-you,
Denise

P.S. I have not given up on searching for Kristian...:)

Jaska Sarell
07-11-07, 18:41
Denise,

At least those persons due to pay person tax have always been mentioned in these tax records (fi henkikirjat, sw mantal längd). Children under 16 and people over 63 were freed from tax, as well as disabled and some others, rules changing a bit from time to time. In later years, like in 1880, some of the freed person names are mentioned. Seems to vary whether under-aged children are listed by names or just quantity.
These records, which were kept annually, continue long in the 1900's, though then more like a general census including everyone. Those are not even microfilmed. NARC digital archives have them online only every five years from early 1800's until 1880.
Yes, the underlined name is the farm name.

Good, that Christer is able to help you for church records :D

:) Jaska

Denise
07-11-07, 20:47
Hi Jaska,
Thank-you for the information; eventually I will learn to read them! :o

Best Regards,
Denise