PDA

View Full Version : Helen Miller

Jorma Penttinen
19-12-07, 17:58
She was born May, 5th in 1913 Her name was Helmi Irene Hietala. She got married with George Miller who died 1978 in Sacramento.
They have children. One of them is Carol, but I do not know her lastname after she got married. Helen father was Leander who came back Finland but Helen stay U.S. Helen and George lived in Sacramento. Helen and my mother (her sister) exchanged of letters, but after 1994 my mather does not got letters from Helen and she does not know what has happend. I send one letter Helen's address but no one has responded. How I could get information what have happend.

Karen Norwillo
19-12-07, 19:20
Jorma,
I think I found your Carol Miller in Sacramento, her birth, marriage and possible address. I will send you the info by Private Message. Found her parent's 1910 arrival. Karen

Karen Norwillo
19-12-07, 19:42
Here's the 1910 arrival to Boston for Leander Hietala. Found him on the Institute of Migration, left Finland 27.04.1910 arrived Boston 12 May 1910.

Karen Norwillo
19-12-07, 21:54
Here's the second page of his arrival. Looks like he was going to friend Frans Hirsimaki in Proctor, Vermont (my error with Mass. previously) Can't find him anywhere else. Do you know what state Helmi was born in? When did they return to Finland without Helmi? Glad you got the private message. Hope it's who you're seeking. Proctor, VT was the site of marble quarrys and many Europeans came here to work. You mentioned something about Leander carving. I found two arrivals for a Frans Hirsimaki from Isojoki/Storå to Proctor. Karen

Jorma Penttinen
20-12-07, 14:54
Karen, Thank you very much for your information and your searching. Frans Hirsimäki and Leander Hietala were cousins together. Their fathers lastname were Korsbäck but both of brother changed it. Leander’s father took name Hietala and Frans’s father took name Hirsimäki. Leander returned Finland about in 1918-19 with his daughter Aili but died in 1921They had also a boy named Frans Nikolai who died in U.S 1910. Leander’s wife died in 1913 in U.S. I have no idea where Helmi “Helen” was born. I mentioned that Leander worked at lumber camp some where.Jorma

Karen Norwillo
20-12-07, 16:26
Jorma,
I found Helmi Hietala and Aili in the 1930 census in White Township, St Louis county, Minnesota. They are in the household of Mike and Hadi Neff and are both listed as adopted daughters. Both girls say they were born in Minnesota, parents born Finland. Aili is 24 and Helmi 16. I'll go back and get the image and attach to another post. Karen

Karen Norwillo
20-12-07, 16:45
Here's the 1930 image. I went back and checked 1920 and 1910 for Aili. She may not be Helmi's sister Aili as she was listed as an adopted daughter in 1910 already. Aili seemed to be a popular name on the MN census for that area.

Jorma Penttinen
20-12-07, 18:17
Karen, That Aili can not been "real Aili" I mean Helmi´s sister because Aili was born May 16, 1912 and Helmi May 5, 1913 and Aili came Finland and pass away May 21, 1921 in Finland. Helmi have to been adopted because she stayed alone U.S. I have never heard about her new family in U.S
Jorma