PDA

View Full Version : Kaarlo Erkki Olofsson Kärppä

Karen Norwillo
23-12-07, 18:54
I am looking to "flesh out" the info I have about the second husband of my paternal great-grandmother, Anna Maria Gabrielintytär Kotala. Kaarlo was born 7 Jan 1831 in Kemijärvi to Olof Olofsson Kärppä and his wife Lena. Hiski gives no paronymic or surname for Lena. Kaarlo and Anna married 27 Dec 1883 in Kuolajärvi. He died 11 Oct 1921 in Kemijärvi. I also found a sister to Kaarlo, Caisa Greta born 25 Sep 1824 in Kemijärvi. There is also an Olof Olofsson Kärppä who drowned 20 Sep 1854 at age 32 yrs, 4 mos and 13 days. That would have his birth at 7 May 1822. Not sure if this is a brother.
Any help about family appreciated. Karen

christer
23-12-07, 23:58
Hi Karen
Attached churchrecord from www.digiarkisto.org 1816-1822 and 1824-1831.Parents of Olof Kärppä b.1794 wife Lena b.1794 no surname or patronymicon.You were right , Caisa Gretha was sister of Carl Erik ( Kaarlo Erkki) and Olof, the one who drowned was a brother , seems to be another brother too b.1828 that died as a child. Father of Olof is Olof Kärppä b.17.5.1770 wife Susanna b.1779. There is a
lot more info about Kärppä on this site, unfortunately Kemijärvi churchrecord is not very easy to read and indexes are missing for a lot of scanned pictures so you have to scroll thru all the pictures.Good luck.
Christer

Karen Norwillo
24-12-07, 21:34
Christer,
Thank you so much. I had looked at some of those records, but, you're right, very hard to read. I have to check out more years.
On Hiski, I found a possible first marriage for Kaarlo (Carl Erik) On 4 Mar 1855 in Storby, Kemijärvi Carl Eric Olofsson Kärppä and Brita Maria Olofsdotter Salmijärvi. On 15 Jun 1855 there were twin daughters born to this couple in Storby, Brita Kaisa and Maria Lena. Mother 28 yrs. There was also a son Johan Erik age 1 yr 4 mos who died on 7 Apr 1858, Karl Erik Olofsson Kärppä listed as relative. The only Brita Olofsdotter Salmijärvi I found was a Brita Caisa born 29 Nov 1827 to Olof Olofsson Salmijärvi and wife Lisa. Confused by difference in second name if this is same person. I've looked for a death for Brita, but the records don't go that far. It would have to be before 1883 if this indeed the man who married my great-grandmother.
Thank you again, Karen

Karen Norwillo
24-12-07, 22:52
Christer,
I think I resolved the issue of Brita Maria. There were several Brita Sallmijärvi born in 1827. One born 16 Dec 1827 Brita Maria to Olof Sallmijärvi and wife Carin, I think. The other born 23 Sep 1827 to Olof Sallmijärvi and wife Lisa, this was Brita Caisa. I also found that second Brita Caisa born 29 Nov 1827 mentioned earlier. In looking at the "census" records for 1824-1830, there is a Sallmijärvi no. 5 where Olof and Carin and Brita Maria live, and a Sallmijärvi no. 6 where Olof and Lisa and Brita Caisa live. Hopefully I got that straight. I've found the Salmijärvi spelled with one or two l's.

christer
25-12-07, 19:28
Hi Karen
Attached some pictures from Digiarkisto, perhaps you already found all these info about Kärppä.The Brita Maria Salmijärvi b.16.12.1827 is the right one.I found the record when Carl Erik and Brita Maria Kärppä moved to Kuolajärvi 24.3.1856, they had one child Anna Greta b.5.11.1852 with them,info is on line 3 on " Utflyttade",could not find any info about twins.
Christer

Karen Norwillo
25-12-07, 21:23
Christer,
Thank you so much. I didn't see these. I did find some earlier years. That move to Kuolajärvi explains why he was there when he married my great-grandmother in 1883 after she was widowed. I appreciate all you've done. Karen

Karen Norwillo
27-12-07, 18:48
Christer,
I found the death records of the twins. Brita Kaisa died 17 Jun 1855 and Maria Lena 7 Jul 1855. I'm not sure who's daughter Anna Greta is. Karl and Brita weren't married until 4 Mar 1855, just before the twins were born. I'm not sure that Johan Erik I found is Karl's. He wasn't with them when they moved to Kuolajärvi and he didn't die until 7 Apr 1858. Karen

christer
27-12-07, 20:48
Hi Karen
When i checked the church book 1848-1854 it says daughter Anna Greta b.5.11.1852 and also in the moving record it says daugter Anna Greta b.5.11.1852 so they must have had this child before marriage which is pretty unusual at that time.This child Johan Erik who died May 7 not April 7 1858 was indeed Karl Erik and Britas child . It says Karl Erik Olofsson Kärppä from Kuolajärvi and i think Kuolajärvi belonged to Kemijärvi at that time.Attached the death record for Johan Erik Kärppä.Its on the right side of the page.

Christer

Karen Norwillo
28-12-07, 19:37
Christer,
I went back and saw that Kuolajärvi at the end of the notation which I didn't see the first time. Thank you. If I'm correct at my subtraction, that would have his DOB abt 7 Jan 1857 since he was 1 yr and 4 months at death.
Since those twins were born just 3 months after their marriage, I guess the birth of Anna Greta as his is plausible. I couldn't find her birth or Johan Erik's. I thank you so much for the help. Do you know at what point Kuolajärvi became Salla? Karen

christer
28-12-07, 22:28
Hi Karen
Those things that you cant find the documents are sometimes very frustrating, dont know why the childrens birth are not registrated by the priest, perhaps he just forgot to do it, who knows.
Anyway, Kuolajärvi name was changed into Salla in 1936.

Christer

Karen Norwillo
19-01-08, 20:09
How do I find out which cemetery my great-grandmother is buried in? She died 1 Apr 1923 in Kemijärvi. Karl Kärppä died in 1921. I assume they are buried in the same place. I will be visiting the area this year and would like to find her grave, if possible. My great-grandfather, her first husband, is buried in Salla and I plan to visit there also. Karen

christer
19-01-08, 22:32
Hi Karen
I think the best way for you is to contact Kemijärvi church, if your ancestors died in Kemijärvi they probably are buried there and there is only one cemetery in Kemijärvi.Church dont always have cemetery lists like you have in USA but im sure they have the info you need.
Here is contact info: Kemijärvi seurakunta fax + 35816815543
Email :Vicar lasse.marjokorpi*evl.fi

I found your Sulasalmi in the Oulu passportrecord today too.There was five young men from Kuolajärvi getting their passports on May 6 1891
record no 704 Lauri Pekka Ollinpoika Salla b.1870 Kuolajärvi
record no 705 Petteri Juhonpoika Kellokumpu or Wierelä b.1867 Kuolajärvi
record no 706 Kaaperi Mikonpoika Sulasalmi b.1869 Kuolajärvi
record no 707 Hermanni Juhonpoika Jussila Kuolajärvi
record no 708 Matti Alarik Mikonpoika Sulasalmi b.1864 Kuolajärvi
they all got passports valid for 5 years and i suppose they all travelled together to Amerika
christer

Karen Norwillo
19-01-08, 23:00
Christer,
Thank you. Number 706 and 708 on that list were my grandfather Gabriel Sulasalmi and his brother Matti Alarik. I have a DOD for Matti in 1892 in USA, but have yet to find out where he died. No one seems to know. I emailed the contact in Kemijärvi for his input for my Great-grandmother. Karen