PDA

View Full Version : Hello from Finland

CateG
03-01-08, 14:14
Hello all! I´m new here and would like some help to find my American and Canadian relatives. On my fathers side it would be the name Gullback. My fathers grandfather was Viktor Gullback and he worked in either Usa or Canada in 1917-1923 and them came back to Finland. But he also had two brothers who left Finland in 1923 and 1926. I would like to know what happened to them. I don´t remeber their names now.. =/ but I guess one of them could be Oskar..

I´m also looking for John Spåra who has lived/is living in Vancouver. His father was Johannes (Hannes) Spåra and was my grandmothers brother. Where is he now and does he have children?

I´m also interested in the name Björkvall, my grandfathers father Johannes (Hannes) Björkvall also visited America or Canada, but came back, he also two brothers or sisters who left Finland.

If anyone know anything about these people, please contact me!

/cate

Ayla
03-01-08, 14:35
Hi Cate,

I'm sorry I can't help you but there are some wonderful people here who are very good at finding information to help you get started. I just wanted to say hello and welcome. I am pretty new here too, about a month.

It has been like a rollercoaster ride for me so hold on tight and enjoy it! Once you get started it is like a domino effect, there will always be leads to follow etc. It is so interesting too. Good luck with your search!

Warm Wishes from London

Ayla

CateG
03-01-08, 15:38
Hello! Yes, this is so interesting but hard! I really hope to get in touch with some people that could help me, I´ve tried google also and even found something there! even facebook!! and I´m planning to go to the Us next year so hopefully I´ll get in touch with some relatives and meet up!!
Good luck to you too!

/Cate

Denise
03-01-08, 17:48
Hi CateG,
Here is a bit of information on Oscar Gullback. :D

Welcome to Finlander Forum!
Denise

British Columbia Death Index: 1872 to 1979
Name: Oscar Arvid Gullback
Death Date: 22 Jan 1972
Place of Death: Port McNeill
Registration #: 1972-09-002808
BCA #: B13315
GSU #: 2034298

and obituary mentioning the name Gullback. Probably a relative! :)

J.A. Cominetti
J. A. "Tony" Cominetti, 93, of Poulsbo died Sept. 1, 1998, in Bremerton.
He was born May 1, 1905, in Jersey City, N.J., to Pasquale Cominetti and Faustina Monteleoni. He was raised in Vancouver, British Columbia.
In November of 1967, he married Margaret Bolan.
Mr. Cominetti worked for 15 years with Prudential NW Real Estate in Poulsbo. He retired in 1989 at the age of 85 with more than 40 years in real estate.
He was a member of the University Masonic Lodge No. 83, the Scottish Rite and the Nile Temple, all in Seattle.
Survivors include his wife; a son, William Simonton of Poulsbo; a daughter, Catherine Simonton of Seattle; three brothers, Dominic of Vancouver, British Columbia, Albert of Edmonds and Frank of San Diego, Calif.; two sisters, Charlene Gullback of Vancouver, British Columbia, and Francis Marxsen of Seattle; four grandchildren, William Simonton and Michele Simonton, both of Poulsbo, Won Jac Simonton of Austin, Texas, and Jin Kyong Simonton of San Antonio, Texas; and one great-grandchild.
A celebration of life will be held at 2 p.m. Sept. 5 at the Cedar Glen Club House, 16300 State Hwy. 305, Poulsbo.
Arrangements are under the direction of Poulsbo Mortuary, "The Stone Chapel".
Memorials may be made to Lutheran Social Services, Respite Care, 830 Pacific Ave., Bremerton, WA 98337, or Fishline of Poulsbo, 18916 Third Ave., Poulsbo, WA 98370, or Hospice of Kitsap County, P.O. Box 3416, Silverdale, WA 98383-3416.

James Olson

Source Information:
Ancestry.com. British Columbia Death Index: 1872 to 1979 [database on-line]. Provo, UT, USA: The Generations Network, Inc., 2001. Original data: British Columbia Vital Statistics Agency. British Columbia, Canada. British Columbia Vital Statistics Agency: P.O. Box 9657, Stn Prov Govt, Victoria, BC V8W 9P3.
Description:
An Index of deaths in the province of British Columbia, Canada, from 1872 to 1979. It includes surname, given name, gender, year, month, day, event place, and registration number.

Denise
03-01-08, 18:22
Hi,
This is probably a relative...

Denise

Nevada Marriage Index, 1956-2005
Name: Helen Lisel Gullback
Spouse: Jesse Daniel Anthony
Marriage Date: 24 May 2002
Marriage County: Clark
Officiant type: Religious celebrant
Recorded date: 29 May 2002
Recorded county: Clark
Book: 529
Page: D439870
Instrument number: 79428

Source Information:
Ancestry.com. Nevada Marriage Index, 1956-2005 [database on-line]. Provo, UT, USA: The Generations Network, Inc., 2007. Original data:

Nevada State Health Division, Office of Vital Records. Nevada Marriage Index, 1966-2005. Carson City, Nevada: Nevada State Health Division, Office of Vital Records.

Clark County, Nevada Marriage Bureau. Clark County, Nevada Marriage Index, 1956-1966. Las Vegas, Nevada: Clark County, Nevada Marriage Bureau.

Description:
This database contains an index to marriages for Clark County, Nevada (including Las Vegas) from 1956-1966 (with a few marriages from earlier and later years). The database also contains a statewide index to marriages from 1966-2005. Information available in the database includes: names of bride and groom, marriage date, and marriage place.

Denise
03-01-08, 18:26
1930 United States Federal Census
Name: Andrew Gullback
Home in 1930: Minneapolis, Hennepin, Minnesota
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1885
Birthplace: Sweden
Relation to Head of House: Head
Race: White

Education:

Military service:

Rent/home value:

Age at first marriage:

Parents' birthplace: View Image
Neighbors: View others on page
Household Members: Name Age
Andrew Gullback 45
Gullback 45

Source Citation: Year: 1930; Census Place: Minneapolis, Hennepin, Minnesota; Roll: 1098; Page: 17B; Enumeration District: 228; Image: 617.0.

Source Information:
Ancestry.com. 1930 United States Federal Census

Denise
03-01-08, 18:36
1911 Census of Canada
Name: John Spara
Marital Status: Married
Birth Date: Oct 1880
Birthplace: Ontario
Family Number: 5
Relation to Head of House: Head
Tribal: Irish
Province: Alberta
District: MacLeod
District Number: 3
Sub-District Number: 6
Census Year: 1911
Page: 1
Neighbors: View others on page
Household Members: Name Age
John Spara 30

Source Information:
Ancestry.com. 1911 Census of Canada

Denise
03-01-08, 18:42
Border Crossings: From Canada to U.S., 1895-1956
Name: Adam Spara
Arrival Date: 8 Dec 1906
Birth Date: abt 1868
Race/Nationality: Finnish

Ship Name: Empress of Britain
Port of Arrival: St John, New Brunswick, Canada
Port of Departure: Liverpool, England

Source Information:
Ancestry.com. Border Crossings: From Canada to U.S., 1895-1956

Denise
03-01-08, 18:47
Border Crossings: From Canada to U.S., 1895-1956
Name: Narl Spara
Arrival Date: 27 May 1905
Birth Date: abt 1884
Race/Nationality: Scandinavian

Ship Name: Tunisian
Port of Arrival: Quebec, Canada
Port of Departure: Liverpool, England

Source Information:
Ancestry.com. Border Crossings: From Canada to U.S., 1895-1956

Denise
03-01-08, 19:02
Here is the start of a family tree. Contact:
Ian Cattrall cattrall*iinet.net.au

Ahnentafel, Generation No. 1

1. Karl Nilsson SPARA was born 23 MAR 1741 in Munsala, Finland, and died 19 DEC 1798 in Munsala, Finland. He was the son of 2. Nils Karlsson SPARA and 3. Anna Tomasdotter SPARA.

Ahnentafel, Generation No. 2

2. Nils Karlsson SPARA was born 11 JUN 1715 in Munsala, Finland, and died 25 NOV 1772 in Munsala, Finland. He was the son of 4. Karl Martensson SVARTNAS and 5. Brita SIMONSDOTTER.

3. Anna Tomasdotter SPARA was born 1718. She was the daughter of 6. Tomas Jonsson SPARA and 7. Sofia ERIKSDOTTER.

Children of Anna Tomasdotter SPARA and Nils Karlsson SPARA are:1. i. Karl Nilsson SPARA was born 23 MAR 1741 in Munsala, Finland, and died 19 DEC 1798 in Munsala, Finland.
ii. Brita SPARA was born 20 JUL 1760 in Munsala, Finland, and died 19 AUG 1760 in Munsala, Finland.

Ahnentafel, Generation No. 3

4. Karl Martensson SVARTNAS was born ABT 1660 in Munsala, Finland. He was the son of 8. Marten Olofsson GASTGIVARS and 9. Lisa Martensdotter HARJUX.

5. Brita SIMONSDOTTER was born ABT 1672, and died 10 JAN 1742 in Munsala, Vexala By, Finland.

Children of Brita SIMONSDOTTER and Karl Martensson SVARTNAS are:2. i. Nils Karlsson SPARA was born 11 JUN 1715 in Munsala, Finland, and died 25 NOV 1772 in Munsala, Finland. He married Anna Tomasdotter SPARA 30 NOV 1738 in Nykarleby, daughter of Tomas Jonsson SPARA and Sofia ERIKSDOTTER. She was born 1718.
ii. Karin Karlsdotter SVARTNAS was born ABT 1718 in Munsala, Finland, and died 4 MAY 1773 in Munsala, Finland. She married Isak Eriksson SKRIVARS 2 DEC 1739 in Munsala, son of Erik Isaksson SKRIVARS. He was born 1713, and died 24 JUN 1773 in Munsala, Finland.

6. Tomas Jonsson SPARA.

7. Sofia ERIKSDOTTER.

Child of Sofia ERIKSDOTTER and Tomas Jonsson SPARA is:3. i. Anna Tomasdotter SPARA was born 1718. She married Nils Karlsson SPARA 30 NOV 1738 in Nykarleby, son of Karl Martensson SVARTNAS and Brita SIMONSDOTTER. He was born 11 JUN 1715 in Munsala, Finland, and died 25 NOV 1772 in Munsala, Finland.

Ahnentafel, Generation No. 4

8. Marten Olofsson GASTGIVARS. He was the son of 16. Olof MATTSSON.

9. Lisa Martensdotter HARJUX. She was the daughter of 18. Marten Nilsson GAMMELGARD.

Children of Lisa Martensdotter HARJUX and Marten Olofsson GASTGIVARS are:4. i. Karl Martensson SVARTNAS was born ABT 1660 in Munsala, Finland. He married Lisa Tomasdotter HELSING, daughter of Tomas Jonsson HELSING. He married Brita SIMONSDOTTER. She was born ABT 1672, and died 10 JAN 1742 in Munsala, Vexala By, Finland.
ii. Lisa Martensson GASTGIVARS.
iii. Margeta Martensdotter GASTGIVARS.
iv. Elsa Martensdotter GASTGIVARS.
v. Matts Martensson GASTGIVARS.
vi. Anders Martensson PESONEN. He married Maria Sigfridsdotter PESONEN, daughter of Sigfrid Hansson PESONEN and Maria Henriksdotter HAGA.
vii. Nils Martensson HOLM. He married Malin Simonsdotter STORSVART, daughter of Simon Sigfridsson STORSVART and Sara Davidsdotter SKRIVARS.

Ahnentafel, Generation No. 5

16. Olof MATTSSON was born in Mona ? , Munsala, Finland.

Children of Olof MATTSSON are:8. i. Marten Olofsson GASTGIVARS. He married Lisa Martensdotter HARJUX, daughter of Marten Nilsson GAMMELGARD.
ii. Matts OLAFSSON.
iii. Bertil OLAFSSON.
iv. Gertrude MATTSSON.

18. Marten Nilsson GAMMELGARD.

Child of Marten Nilsson GAMMELGARD is:9. i. Lisa Martensdotter HARJUX. She married Marten Olofsson GASTGIVARS, son of Olof MATTSSON.

CateG
08-01-08, 14:22
hello! oscar arvid gullback:
yes, this is my father´s grandfathers brother! now I just have to find his grandchildren!

THANK YOU!!!

CateG
08-01-08, 14:31
yes, helen gullback is my cousin and lives in Pembroke. I wish to see her next summer if we travel to america.. =)

now there´s about 15cm snow here!

Ayla
08-01-08, 15:58
Ahh that is so lovely to hear! Well done! I am trying to find the same relatives, the children and grandchildren of my grandmother's brothers and sisters. She had 7 brothers and sisters. I have found 1 family, so only 6 left to find :))
It really is a wonderful feeling. I hope to see them in August when I go to Finland.
Very well done!

CateG
09-01-08, 10:40
hello again!

Hmm, do you have any tips of other pages that could help to find relatives? I´ve tried white pages in usa and canada and anciestry.com, don´t understand that site, I´ve made my family tree there, but so what if no one can see it..??any ideas?

have a nice day!
cate

Ayla
09-01-08, 12:48
Hi Cate,

I am still new to all of this but I have written somewhere a list of different sites to try, not many but it is a start. The bad thing is that I have so much paper now that I can't find this list yet!
Also, I haven't made my tree yet but I am going to buy some geneaology software and do it through there. I am going to get Family Historian. Then I think the information I put in can be shared properly with others.
There is a lot to take in with this wonderful subject and still I get confused but I am hoping things will become clearer soon! :)))

Ayla
xxxx

CateG
12-02-08, 11:24
hello again! I still haven't found any living relatives from this Björkvall or Spåra family.would be so nice to find those who are living! =) tips of any more sites that could help..?