PDA

View Full Version : proposed list of all sources for emigrant names

syrene
05-01-08, 00:18
SFHS is currently gathering names/titles (and Internet links if available) to databases, indexes, collections and such which are intended to preserve the names of emigrants from Finland, particularly the Swedish-speaking Finns. The proposal is that such a bibliography when posted on the SFHS website would enable anyone to consider the databases as they search for information on emigrants around the world. Some collections may be family genealogies or indexes which are not digital. But if they exist, then the means to contact a live person for help in viewing the materials would be important to the SFHS bibliography.

Another advantage to such a bibliography is that progress on the lists can be noted through time.

If you are working on such a resource or know of one which should be included, please contact me at my personal email:
<forsmandon*msn.com> My first report to the SFHS board on the current status of such projects is scheduled for next week. However, the list itself would be posted as a project in progress on the SFHS website midyear of 2008.

Thanks so much!
Syrene Forsman

June Pelo
05-01-08, 22:52
Syrene,

Do you know if SFHS has a copy of this document prepared by Frans Lillsunde in 1984: Emigranter från Karleby till Amerika, Kanada och Australien. It has 40 pages and covers emigrants from various villages in Karleby. I think he also prepared something similar for Kronoby.

I've been submitting names of emigrants in my database to SFHS, and the form asks for sources, which I have included.

June

syrene
06-01-08, 01:49
Hi June,
SFHS really appreciates your substantial list of names to the database!

I'll have to check the library/archives catalogue for that title when I get back to Seattle. Good thought!
Syrene

June Pelo
06-01-08, 18:59
Syrene,

Also check for another list by Frans Lillsunde, May 1989, titled: Kronoby Emigranter. It's 31 pages of names of emigrants from Kronoby.

Also Jakobstadsnejdens släkt- och bygdeforskare r.f. has published birth and death dates of emigrants in several of their Släkt och Bygd publications: 33, 35 and 37 entitled: Emigranter från Pedersörebygden som avlidit Amerika by Börje Brandt. He may have issued more names, but I don't have the latest Släkt o. Bygd indexes. I'm sure SFHS has copies of these SoBs.

June

syrene
07-01-08, 01:17
Hi June,
You're correct. SFHS has a number of those issues. Part of the list then must include the numbers of the issues in the archive holdings. The authors of the articles may well have the names around which the article is built already on a database. Those are important enough to merit being included within the list. Many of them are probably part of the TALKO project. TALKO is one of the databases scheduled to be included. The search system on Finlander will also be listed.
Regards,
Syrene