PDA

View Full Version : Mystery surrounds Aina Sigrid Määttä nee Brander

Ayla
09-01-08, 13:44
Morning all!

PLEEEEEEEASSSSE can anyone help me with some possible suggestions for this bizaare piece of my family puzzle.
Denise, if you get a bit of free time sometime please can you also advise. I am starting a new thread, it is kind of a continuation of one further below about my great aunts Aina Sigrid and Ines Ingrid.

Now I must focus on Aina. I sent a letter in snail mail to a lady I truly believed was my second cousin, her name is Ann Weiric nee Eichele.

My great aunt Aina was, I thought, her grand mother. I collated all the info I found with many thanks to Denise and others who told me where else to look etc. Even then, I checked, double checked etc before I wrote to her.

In my letter I wrote everything, dates, names, children's names etc. I thought that the more info I give the better. Anyway, I was so excited as I got an email from her last night but then I was quite sad because she said that her grandmother Aina was an only child, whose maiden name was Pehko and that she was from Joensuu and not Pori. :(((

BUT then she said that she was very confused because all of the dates, birthdates, death dates, husband's name, his dates of birth and death, the year of entry to the USA etc all MATCH. the only thing that doesnt is the surname Pehko instead of Brander and that she was an only child!

Is it really possible, that there were 2 different Aina's from Finland, with the same birthdate, same death date, with husband's of the same name and same birth and death date, same date of entry even into the States......???

To me, that seems a bit too much of a coincidence. I have emailed her back to ask her what proof she has that her grandmother was born in Joensuu and about her Pehko surname. My info comes from the Uusi Sukukirja and I know my grandmother had a sister called Aina Sigrid Brander who married a John Määttä etc etc. Until she writes back I would love to do a bit of searching for this other Aina Pehko.

Please can anyone help, advise etc. Year of entry to the USA for my great aunt was 1915. Her name again was Aina Sigrid Määttä nee Brander.
Her birthdate was 27 December 1892. She was married to John Määttä.

Was there another Aina called Aina Pehko born in Joensuu but went to the States with hubby John I wonder?

:confused: :confused: :confused:

Oh yes, my little brain cells have come up with a possible answer to this, it is quite far out there which is why Im not going to say it here. But if the general idea out there is that the above is rather odd then I will run my idea by you and see what you think. ;) Basically I still think they are the same lady and until someone can show me proof otherwise I would love to think I have found her!

Kiitos niin paljon kaikesta!

Ayla

harrysme
09-01-08, 14:15
Ayla

I did not quite understand, what kind of facts you have.

But generally it was quite popular on those days to change Swedish names (Brander) to Finnish (Pehko).

At www.genealogia.fi is a long list of Branders, who had changed their names, mainly to Paloheimo, but no Pehko.

Harry

Denise
09-01-08, 16:44
Hi Ayla,
I have found just two Pehko surnames on Ancestry. Here is what I found, and there is not a Aina.

Denise

Detroit Border Crossings and Passenger and Crew Lists, 1905-1957
Name: Aline Pehko
Arrival Date: 19 Aug 1943
Birth Date: abt 1877
Birthplace: Haukivouri
Birth Country: Finland

Port of Arrival: Detroit, Michigan

Microfilm Roll Number: M1478_77

Source Information:
Ancestry.com. Detroit Border Crossings and Passenger and Crew Lists, 1905-1957

World War I Draft Registration Cards, 1917-1918
Name: Johan Pehko
City: Manhattan
County: New York
State: New York
Birthplace: Finland;Russia
Birth Date: 7 Jun 1891
Race: White
Roll: 1787087
DraftBoard: 170

Nearest Relative:

Height/Build:

Color of Eyes/Hair:

Signature: View Image

Source Citation: Registration Location: New York County, New York; Roll: 1787087; Draft Board: 170.

Source Information:
Ancestry.com. World War I Draft Registration Cards, 1917-1918

World War I Draft Registration Cards, 1917-1918
Name: John Pehko
City: Manhattan
County: New York
State: New York
Birthplace: Finland
Birth Date: Jun 1891
Race: White
Roll: 1787087
DraftBoard: 170

Nearest Relative:

Height/Build:

Color of Eyes/Hair:

Signature: View Image

Source Citation: Registration Location: New York County, New York; Roll: 1787087; Draft Board: 170.

Source Information:
Ancestry.com. World War I Draft Registration Cards, 1917-1918

Denise
09-01-08, 16:56
Hi Ayla,
On the Institute of Migration most of the Pehko names were Pehkonen. There is not an Aina among them. This is what I found.

Denise

Detailed passenger information
Last name Pehko
First names Alina
Age or age group 57
Port of departure Helsinki
Place of destination New York
State of destination NY
Country of destination USA
Price of ticket USD 126
Ship from Finland Arcturus
Date of departure from Finland 03.11.1937
Ship from England Queen Mary
Date of departure from England 10.11.1937
Ocean Line Cunard/White S.
Port of departure in England Southampton
List and page 133/123
Remarks *

Last name Pehko
First names Hjalmar
Age or age group 19
Port of departure Hanko
Place of destination Astoria
State of destination OR
Country of destination USA
Price of ticket FIM 541
Date of departure from Finland 04.06.1910
Ship from England Cedric
Date of departure from England 11.06.1910
Ocean Line White Star Line
Port of departure in England Liverpool
List and page 78/16
Remarks *

Last name Pehko
First names Michal
Age or age group 58
Port of departure Helsinki
Place of destination Toronto
State of destination ON
Country of destination CDN
Price of ticket USD 99
Date of departure from Finland 18.09.1934
Ship from England Alaunia
Date of departure from England 29.09.1934
Ocean Line Cunard Line
Port of departure in England Southampton
List and page 133/49
Remarks *

Ayla
09-01-08, 16:58
Thanks Denise, they don't match do they? I'm happy really because I have a real big hunch about this one. I am pretty sure they have got to be the same person, I just need to prove it to Ann.

Harry, sorry if I made things unclear, I can talk for England and am known to go on a bit! I did make an earlier post, a few threads down, there is loads of info there, I didnt want to repeat it all again.

I know all about the name changes etc but this is nothing to do with that. Basically, my aunt, Aina Sigrid Määttä nee Brander shares the same date of birth, same date of death, same name for a husband with the same dates for him too, so everything is the same than this other lady called Aina Määttä nee Pehko. (the differences are the maiden name and place of birth)

So I am questioning whether or not these 2 ladies are the same, it all seems to easy to say, yes, there were 2 Ainas who shared all these dates etc but they are different women.

Not sure if I have explained myself properly here, maybe I am losing the plot! :eek:

Denise
09-01-08, 17:03
Hi Ayla,
On google do the following...

*site:genealogia.fi pehko*

You will come up with previous posts on Pehko, and also you can use that method to search for previous posts on anyone's name. This is one post I found on Alina Pehko, as well as many other posts on Pehko names.

Denise

From "pechkoff" <alp*simple.isys.ca>
Date Sun, 13 Feb 2000 07:36:50 -0500
Reply-to finngen*genealogia.fi

In my search for information about my families, I have these unfinished bits of info that I'd like to complete. If anyone out there can assist, please contact me.

1. My paternal grandmother, Alina PEHKO, owned a large log building in the Minden area around 1930 to 1940. It was her home and business address - she was a naturapathic doctor and massuese. Would like photos and info on house.

2. My mother's family (Makinen) lived in the Stobie village near Frood Mine in the Sudbury area from 1913 to 1941. My grandfather, Herman Makinen/Wilhelmsson/Ahola was a blacksmith for the British American and Inco mining companies. Would like photos and info on Stobie.

Ayla
09-01-08, 18:11
Thanks for the link, I always wondered how I could go through old posts without clicking through each one manually zzzzzzzzzz :)

Also, going back to this search for Aina Pehko or Pehkonen, are you saying that of the records you have checked, there is no record of someone called
Aina Pehko or Pehkonnen going to the States in 1915?

If there was such a lady, surely something would have come up? Could it be that there was no Aina Pehko, that she was really Aina Sigrid, my great aunt, but for whatever reason, didnt want to say anything?
Could it be, that the reason why Ann could not find anything about her Aina Pehko grandmother, was simply because she has been using the wrong name all this time?
Could it be....that I'm right? :confused: :confused: ;) :)