PDA

View Full Version : Fogde, Mathias (Matts, Matt) Mattsson

Stig Fogde
10-01-08, 19:24
I would be extremely grateful for any hints that might help me trace my great grandfather, Mathias (Matts) Mattsson Fogde, born in Malax in Ostrobothnia on April 7, 1865. My great aunt told me that Matts, who left for the States in 1896, destination Chicago, was supposed to have died in a logging accident in Michigan, probably in 1897. However, his younger brother Wilhelm, had a search ad for him in the June 19, 1913, issue of Finska Amerikanaren. Subsequently, Matts Mattson Fogde was declared dead in 1914. A person called Matt Fogde is mentioned in Emigrantbiografier (4.61) by Anders Myhrman: this piece of information is from Herman Werner Reeth from Korsholm (Mustasaari). According to Reeth, this Matt Fogde settled down in Aniak, Alaska. I have a picture of my great grandfather taken in Crystal Falls, Michigan (McCourt).

The younger brothers of Matts, Johannes (born 1869) and Wilhelm Fogde (born 1873), also left for the States, namely for Calumet, Michigan, Johannes in 1901 and Wilhelm one year earlier in 1900. Any information related to Matts, Wilhelm or Johannes Fogde would be of great help.

"Looking for great grandpa",

Stig Fogde

Helsingfors

Karen Norwillo
10-01-08, 23:21
Stig,
Here is Matts arrival in Boston 30 Aug 1896 on the Cephalonia. As you said, his destination given as Chicago. I do see two others from Mustasaari, an Alfred Goop and Johanna Gro?, Groh or Grok. They are going to Crystal Falls, Possibly he went there also. I am from Crystal Falls originally and it was a big logging area. There were many logging camps. I checked the Iron County GenWeb site, but didn't see a Fogde or Mattsson, Mattson, Matson matching his age. There are two Matt Mattson in the cemetery, but they died in the 20's and 30's. There is a Matt Fogde in the MN Death Index who died 14 Mar 1914, but no other information. McCourt was a popular photographer in that area in the late 1900's. Karen

Stig Fogde
11-01-08, 13:09
Thank you, Karen!

I was pleasantly surprised at how fast I got a reply on this forum. Although I have used the Internet frequently for at least a dozen years or so, I have never been part of any web community before so this is all new to me. For some reason my ad was published twice though I tried to follow the instructions, but I must have done something wrong.

The document you sent me was yet another valuable piece to the puzzle.

When I visited the States in the seventies and the eighties I also spent some time in Michigan, but at that time I didn't know that my great grandfather and his brothers had been in the Upper Peninsula, so I never got any further than St. Ignace on the other side of the Mackinac Bridge.

Stig

Karen Norwillo
11-01-08, 15:55
Stig,
Sorry about the typo in my previous post. That date should be 1890's, not 1900's. I checked for him under many possible names, but didn't see him on the 1900 Census. There are many Fogde entries that may be relatives. With the dangers of the logging camps, it is very possible he was killed in an accident. Both my grandfathers, all my uncles, my father and even my paternal grandmother and mother worked at the camps. Mom and grandma were cooks. Karen

Stig Fogde
11-01-08, 22:01
Karen,

If my great grandfather actually died in a logging accident that took place somewhere around Crystal Falls, I think C. F. would have been the first place for his wife/widow to write a letter to in order to get some kind of death certificate, because that is where the picture I have of him was taken. It seems strange that his widow knew that Matts died in a logging accident without knowing where it happened. That's why I at this point am more inclined to believe that this is a story that was invented to cover up something else. Of course, I might very well be mistaken. Anyway, Matts was finally declared dead in 1914 after his younger brother had tried to locate him by putting an ad in Finska Amerikanaren.

Somehow I'm intrigued by the possibility of him dissappearing to Alaska trying to strike it rich. Even if I am able to trace him there, a bunch of new questions will arise: Did he settle down there for good or move on to some other place? Did he remarry - perhaps having assumed a false identity - etc. etc. ??? There are lots of Fogdes in the States, but, considering the Ostrobothnian custom of assuming the name of the farm as one's last name, the vast majority of the Fogdes are almost certainly not my relatives. It would be nice, though, to be able to find his descendants!

Thanks again for helping me on the way!

Stig

Karen Norwillo
11-01-08, 22:29
Stig,
Here are the arrivals of Johannes and Wilhelm. When Wilhelm came in 1900, he says he's going to his brother Matt Fogde in Calumet. In 1901, Johannes is going to Wilhelm in Calumet. So if Matt was in Calumet in 1900, he didn't die in 1897. Both brothers came through Quebec, Wilhelm arriving 9 Jun 1900 on the Parisian and Johannes 28 May 1901 on the Numidian. I have to go back and redo Johannes. Will send. Karen

Karen Norwillo
11-01-08, 22:32
Here's Johannes. You'll note his name is spelled Fagde on the manifest.

Karen Norwillo
11-01-08, 22:53
Stig,
I did some searching on MIGenWeb Houghton County where Calumet is located. I found an obit from the Houghton Mining Gazette that looked interesting. Dated Jan 17, 1901 Thursday..Funeral of the late John Mattson who was crushed to death by rolling logs in Sidnaw on Monday was held in the home of his brother Matt Mattson of Dollar Bay. Burial in Lakeside Cemetery Calumet.
Found no Fogde in Calumet, but lots of Mattson's. Karen

Stig Fogde
11-01-08, 23:43
Karen,

Wow! I am really impressed by the way you manage to unravel the comings and goings of Matts, Johannes and Wilhelm. My great aunt Ida might have gotten the facts wrong: perhaps it was the second youngest brother Johannes Mattsson who died in a logging accident and not the oldest brother Matts Mattsson Fogde? Ida was so small when her father left for the States that she couldn't have had any real recollections of him, whereas she had vivid memories of her stepfather, whom she described as a kind and affectionate person.

In other words, it is highly possible that the John and Matt mentioned in the obituary were in fact Johannes and Matts Mattsson Fogde!

Just a while ago I decided that I too must subscribe to Ancestry.Com so that I can get access to all the records available.

I am very grateful for your precious help, but at the same time feel a little bit guilty about you spending so much time by the computer searching for my relatives...

I am determined to learn the ins and outs of genealogical research on the Internet and of the software (Disgen) I am using for the registration of relatives.

Stort tack!

Stig

Stig Fogde
12-01-08, 00:03
Karen,

I noticed that one of the parishes you are researching is Utajärvi. This is a real small world: my daughter Leena's boyfriend Marko Väyrynen is from Utajärvi. His parents and his youngest brother still live there.

I also noticed that you are a RN. I, too, have some connections to health care. For about fifteen years I worked as a translator at Helsingin yliopistollinen sairaala, the Helsinki University Hospital, where one of my main duties was to translate patient information from Finnish into Swedish. My older sister, Tove Savonen, is working as a secretary/assistant with the Finnish RN's Union, Tehy.

It's almost past midnight here in Helsinki so I think I'll turn in and perhaps read a few chapters from a novel.

Good night!

Stig

June Pelo
12-01-08, 01:34
Just a comment: The Fogde name isn't seen often, but in K-G Olin's book "Egen lyckas smed" he mentions Frank/Frans Fogde, b. 29 Dec 1900 in Övermark, lived in Bunker Hill, Coos Bay, OR - member of Suomi No. 1 lodge.

June

Henrik.Mangs
12-01-08, 08:45
Frans Fogdes father Edvard Markusson Fogde b.19/12 1864 and mother Johanna Sofia Johansdotter Enlund b.8/9 1863.
WBR
Henrik Mangs

Karen Norwillo
12-01-08, 15:52
Stig,
Don't ever feel guilty about my time spent. So many wonderful people have helped me with my research, I'm just repaying in kind. Besides, I love a good challenge. Keeps the old brain working. Yes, my father's family roots began in Utajärvi. My paternal grandfather's family name progressed from Junttila to Jaakkola to Sulasalmi with moves from Utajärvi to Kemijärvi to Kuolajärvi, now Salla. Karen

Stig Fogde
12-01-08, 20:03
Karen,

I'm relieved to hear you feel that way about it - repaying in kind: that's what I too want to do when I have come a little bit further along the road.

June and Henrik,

My great-great-great grandfather Johannes Mattsson (1795-1849) was the son of Matts Ericsson, the owner of the Styris farm, also located in Övermalax. Johannes Mattsson came as a crofter to the Fogde farm around 1833-34. In other words, he was not related to the owners of the Fogde farm. The first wife of Johannes was Beata Johansdotter Dahla (1799-1826) and his second wife Maja Lisa Mattsdotter Söderback (1802-1876). The Matts (Mathias) Mattsson Fogde whom I'm looking for is his grandson. Matts married Fanny Carolina Klockars from Vasa and they had four children before Matts emigrated to the States, where he disappeared somewhere after 1900/1901.

So I don't think that Frans Fogde and Erik Markusson Fogde are related, not very closely anyhow. Maija Koskenohi has studied the "original" Fogdes in Malax, but not those Fogdes whose paternal lineage go back to the Styris. Thanks to Gustav Styris, whom I've visited a couple of times in Malax, I know that my roots in Malax go back to the 17th century, if not even further.

Have a pleasant weekend!

Stig "Styris" Fogde

BeverlyCooper
14-01-08, 01:39
My grandfather Johannes Alfred FOGDE was born 28 Dec 1892 in Malax and emigrated to America in March 1910. His younger brother Viktor Alexander Fogde born 15 October 1894 and a sister Hilda Elisabet Damstén born 25 October 1901 also immigrated to America. Johannes originally immigrated to San Francisco, CA and later moved to Coos County, Oregon where he was employed as a logger. Viktor emigrated to Washington in 1913 and later settled in Northern California. They both took the name Johnson in America. Hilda went to Vancouver, BC, Canada in 1927 and used her husbands name Smedman.Their parents were Johannes Israelsson FOGDE b. 14 February 1868 in Malax and Beata Louvisa Danielsdotter Stolpe / Staf b.28 May 1866 in Malax. I’m not sure which Fogde farm the lived on but our relatives must have known each other at some point in time.

I descend from a long line of Fogde’s in Malax going back to Per Simonsson FOGDE in the 1600’s. You mentioned Maija Koskenohi has studied the FOGDE family and I wondered if someone knows how I can contact Maija. Are you familiar with the website http://www.qnet.fi/westside/malax/malax.htm which has great information on Malax families.

Since our families go back to the 17th century in Malax we must be related.

Beverly Cooper

Stig Fogde
14-01-08, 18:14
Beverly,

I got hold of Koskenaho's research (116 pages in print) through Vasanejdens släktforskare (http://www.netikka.net/wasaroots/) so I've had no personal contact with her. Johannes Alfred Fogde does not seem to be in the index of names. I'll recheck as soon when I have a little bit more time. Yes, I'm familiar with the web site you mentioned and I think it may be of great help to you.

Stig

Stig Fogde
15-01-08, 15:36
Beverly,

I went through the Koskenaho papers (116 typed pages), checking both by name and birthdate, and the only name I found of those you mentioned was the "original" Fogde, Per Simonsson. I also searched the file I once got from Göran Berglund, but none of your Fogdes were to be found, except this first Fogde.

But the same goes for my relatives; they could be found neither in Koskenahos nor in Berglunds material. Apparently we Fogdes are fairly numerous, after all. And like I mentioned, my branch of the Fogdes are relatives to the owners of the Styris farm.

Stig

BeverlyCooper
17-01-08, 20:35
Stig,

Thank you for checking the Koskenaho and Berglung files for my Fogde relatives. It is wonderful to have this forum to get such quick responses to our inquiries.

I live in Oregon and will be visiting Vaasa this summer and I will bring along my Ahnentafel to add to their collection.

Thanks again
Beverly

Stig Fogde
17-01-08, 22:23
Hi, Beverly

If you come by Helsinki, you can send me an e-mail in advance. If I'm around at that time, we could exchange information on our research; I ought to be a little wiser by then.

Stig

jjohnson
29-04-15, 06:22
I think that the Viktor Alexander Fodge you refer to here is My Great Grandfather. The names of his brother and sister are correct as well as his date of birth. My family is from Northern California. After speaking to my grandmother she is convinced that your grandfather and my great grandfather were brothers. I would love to talk to you more and find out if she is correct. My Grand Mother would love to learn more about her families history.

BeverlyCooper
29-04-15, 08:01
I sent you a private message.
Beverly Cooper