PDA

View Full Version : Looking for Hagstrom/Norrgard relatives from Alands or west Finland

Hagstrom,C.
15-01-08, 21:23
Hej, my name is Christopher Hagstrom from New Britain, Pennsylvania near Philadelphia,USA and I am a new member here. I would be most grateful for any info./assistance in tracing my paternal great-grandparents, Otto Wilhelm Hagstrom and his first wife, Edla Sophia Norrgard.Unfortunately I have very little to go on in the way of birth/death dates/parish membership. I do know from my grandfather, Harry O. Hagstrom, that they probably came from the Aland Islands (Ahvenenmaa) and emigrated to Philadelphia and then settled in Camden, New Jersey & ,later, Riverton NJ.
A member of this forum very kindly contacted me from a query I left on the Alands Emigrants Institute guestbook. He related that the surname Norrgard seems to be from Osterbotten in the Swedish-speaking west coast area of Finland at the Gulf of Bothnia. I am also told from family sources that Edla Sophia's family were possibly merchants(jewellers). The forum member further related that he and a co-ordinator from the Alands Institute found US Census info from 1910 showing an Otto Hagstrom, widower,b.about 1866, emigrated 1890 from Finland.Any info.much appreciated--thanks!

Kaarina
15-01-08, 22:22
Hej, my name is Christopher Hagstrom from New Britain, Pennsylvania near Philadelphia,USA and I am a new member here. I would be most grateful for any info./assistance in tracing my paternal great-grandparents, Otto Wilhelm Hagstrom and his first wife, Edla Sophia Norrgard.Unfortunately I have very little to go on in the way of birth/death dates/parish membership. I do know from my grandfather, Harry O. Hagstrom, that they probably came from the Aland Islands (Ahvenenmaa) and emigrated to Philadelphia and then settled in Camden, New Jersey & ,later, Riverton NJ.
A member of this forum very kindly contacted me from a query I left on the Alands Emigrants Institute guestbook. He related that the surname Norrgard seems to be from Osterbotten in the Swedish-speaking west coast area of Finland at the Gulf of Bothnia. I am also told from family sources that Edla Sophia's family were possibly merchants(jewellers). The forum member further related that he and a co-ordinator from the Alands Institute found US Census info from 1910 showing an Otto Hagstrom, widower,b.about 1866, emigrated 1890 from Finland.Any info.much appreciated--thanks!

Hi
I found this from http://hiski.genealogia.fi

Christened - Ahlainen
8.7.1849 F:Rusth: Robert Norrgård and Lovisa 34 Edla Sophia
Christened - Merikarvia
5.4.1834 Kasaböle f:d:B Johan Norrgård and Caisa Lisa Johansdr 44 Edla Sophia
Christened - Pomarkku
3.3.1852 Tp: Joel Norrgård and Maria Andersdr. 33 Edla Sophia

I have to one Edla Sophia Norrgård in my list, b. 17.1.1851, but she died in Merikarvia 27.1.1898

Kaarina

Denise
15-01-08, 22:40
Hi Christopher,
Welcome to Finlander Forum! :) Without birthdates to go on, or even a guess, here are a few records that may be your Edla.

Best Regards,
Denise

Detailed passenger information
Last name Norrgård
First names Edla
Age or age group 21
Port of departure Hanko
Place of destination Boston
State of destination MA
Country of destination USA
Price of ticket FIM 253
Ship from Finland Polaris
Date of departure from Finland 21.09.1910
Ship from England Saxonia
Date of departure from England 27.09.1910
Ocean Line Cunard Line
Port of departure in England *
List and page 83/83
Remarks *

Detailed passport information
Last name Norrgård
First names Edla
Other names *
Date of birth . .1889
Marital status 1
Religion Lut.
Occupation Taloll. tr
Home parish Ylimarkku
Province VAA
Passport date 10.09.1910
Passport number 6544
Passport valid (year:month) 5:0
Destination Amerikka
Passport issued by VAA
Remarks *

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Last name Norrgård
First names Edla
Age or age group 14
Port of departure Hanko
Place of destination Dollar Bay
State of destination MI
Price of ticket FIM 320
Ship from Finland Arcturus
Date of departure from Finland 10.12.1902
Ship from England Celtic
Date of departure from England 17.12.1902
Ocean Line White Star Line
List and page 31/38
Remarks Mk Johanna Norrgård.

Last name Norrgård
First names Edla
Age or age group 40
Port of departure Hanko
Place of destination Dollar Bay
State of destination MI
Price of ticket FIM 232
Date of departure from Finland 12.04.1902
Ship from England *
Date of departure from England 99.99.9999
Ocean Line Cunard Line
List and page 28/31
Remarks Mk Emil, Wendla, Hilma ja Elsa Norrgård.

Last name Norrgård
First names Edla
Other names *
Date of birth . .1861
Marital status 2
Religion Lut.
Occupation Mäkitupal. vmo
Home parish Maalahti
Province VAA
Passport date 10.04.1902
Passport number 1329
Destination Amerikka
Passport issued by VAA
Remarks Sp 4 lasta.

Denise
15-01-08, 22:52
Hi Christopher,
I found this passenger record on Ancestry for an Edla Norrgård.

Denise

Boston Passenger Lists, 1820-1943
Name: Edla Norrgard
Arrival Date: 7 Oct 1910
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1889
Ethnic Background: Scandinavian
Port of Departure: Liverpool, England
Ship Name: Saxonia
Port of Arrival: Boston, Massachusetts
Friend's Name: Lina Karlson
Last Residence: United States of America
Birthplace: Koosnas, Finland
Microfilm Roll Number: 156

Source Information:
Ancestry.com. Boston Passenger Lists, 1820-1943

granskare
15-01-08, 22:59
Swenson 231 = Michigan, Houghton County, Dollar Bay, First Lutheran
231 13h Frans Isak Stoor Feb 27 1879 Pörtom 1895
231 13w Edla Amanda f. Norrgård Jun 30 1888 Malax 1902

here is that Edla who went to Dollar Bay Mi and if she is the one, her husband is also listed.
Good luck,

Kaarina
15-01-08, 23:03
Hi
I found this from http://hiski.genealogia.fi

Christened - Ahlainen
8.7.1849 F:Rusth: Robert Norrgård and Lovisa 34 Edla Sophia
Christened - Merikarvia
5.4.1834 Kasaböle f:d:B Johan Norrgård and Caisa Lisa Johansdr 44 Edla Sophia
Christened - Pomarkku
3.3.1852 Tp: Joel Norrgård and Maria Andersdr. 33 Edla Sophia

I have to one Edla Sophia Norrgård in my list, b. 17.1.1851, but she died in Merikarvia 27.1.1898

Kaarina

Hi again,
I found to this, the first Edla b. 8.7.1849 in Merikarvia died 14.10.1858 and the second Edla is maybe old to Otto!
And the third Edla from Pomarkku can be possible to Otto

Kaarina

Denise
16-01-08, 01:39
Hi Christopher,
Here is an Otto Hagström married to an Edla in the 1900 US Federal Census in Philadelphia.

Denise

1900 United States Federal Census
Name: Otto Hagstrom
Home in 1900: Philadelphia Ward 39, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1865
Birthplace: Russia
Relationship to head-of-house: Head
Spouse's Name: Edla
Race: White
Immigration Year: 1894
Neighbors: View others on page
Household Members: Name Age
Otto Hagstrom 35
Edla Hagstrom 35
Elba Hagstrom 2
Ellen Hagstrom 9.12
John Antella 38

Source Citation: Year: 1900; Census Place: Philadelphia Ward 39, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania; Roll: T623 1480; Page: 12A; Enumeration District: 1003.

Source Information:
Ancestry.com. 1900 United States Federal Census

Denise
16-01-08, 01:42
Christopher,
I hit the reply button before attaching the census! :p

Denise

Denise
16-01-08, 02:19
Hi Christopher,
By 1910 Otto was listed as widowed in Camden, New Jersey. Here is the census.

Denise

1910 United States Federal Census
Name: Otto M Hagstrom
Age in 1910: 44
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1866
Birthplace: Finland
Relation to Head of House: Head
Father's Birth Place: Finland
Mother's Birth Place: Finland
Home in 1910: Camden Ward 2, Camden, New Jersey
Marital Status: Widowed
Year of Immigration: 1890
Otto M Hagstrom 44

Source Citation: Year: 1910; Census Place: Camden Ward 2, Camden, New Jersey; Roll: T624_872; Page: 19A; Enumeration District: 13; Image: 948.

Source Information:
Ancestry.com. 1910 United States Federal Census

Hagstrom,C.
16-01-08, 03:59
Hi Denise,Thanks so much...this is possibilty:have photo of wedding cert.from City of Phila.dated Nov.1895.Edla was Otto's first wife & she died after they both had influenza around time of 1918 pandemic.Your passengr.list finds do not seem to match what I know of her approx.age or time/place emigrated to(Phila.)

Hagstrom,C.
16-01-08, 04:12
Denise,You are a wonder! Thanks so much! The posts from the 2 census' are very likely my relatives:at the time Otto & Edla were born,I suppose Finland was considered a grand duchy of Russia(hence the birthplace listed).Also,they had at least 3 daughters(Ebba,Ellen,Alma,& poss.1 other who was adopted out),1 son(my grndfathr,Harry b.1901)& anothr son who may have died btwn 10-14 yrs old.,called Jonny.

Hagstrom,C.
16-01-08, 04:27
Hej Kaarina,Thanks so much for the christening/birth records & your efforts! I think the only one possible would be the one from Pomarkku.However,post#7 from Denise shows a 35yr.old Edla at time of 1900 US Fed.Census--b.about 1865 & more matching w/Otto's age/birth yr.How can I get more info.on actual birthplace/dates & emigration place/dates? Thanks again!

Hagstrom,C.
16-01-08, 05:24
Denise,re:post#9/1910 census/Camden NJ,shows earlier date emigration from 1900(1890 vs 1894) & age of son Harry(my g.fthr) seems high(I know his d.o.b as 1901) & there is no othr mention of othr kids.Also,if Edla died by this time,it's earlier than I'd known.I do know that(from family stories) when Edla died,Otto temporarily placed kids in Chestnut Hill PA orphanage so he could continue working & my gfthr stopped school to work w/him.Otto re-married to another Finnish lady who emigrated to Phila.(named Anna;surname unknown)about 2 yrs later.There were at least 2 more sisters & maybe 1 brother aftr Harry(One sister adopted out to family near Seattle WA & brother died in accident w/coalcart,1913-14.Name of adopted-out sister unknown).Is there a way I can copy your att.thmbs of census pgs.?Sorry,not very computer savvy! Also,1900 census shows d.o.b for Otto as Mar.1865 & for Edla Feb.1865.Can these be used to find actual place of birth or of emigration?
Please let me know of anything else that any of you may find and my heart-felt thanks and appreciation for all of your interest & efforts.
Warmest regards,Christopher Hagstrom

Denise
16-01-08, 06:05
Hi Christopher,
Here is the correct passenger record for Edla! :D

Denise

Philadelphia Passenger Lists, 1800-1945
Name: Edla Norgaard
Arrival Date: 22 May 1893
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1867
Ship Name: Lord Gough
Port of Arrival: Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Last Residence: Wasa
Microfilm Roll Number: T840_19

Source Citation: Roll: T840_19; Line: 23.

Source Information:
Ancestry.com. Philadelphia Passenger Lists, 1800-1945

Denise
16-01-08, 06:54
Hi Christopher,
On Edla's passenger record she states she was from Vaasa, was 26 years of age which would make her born about 1866-67. On the 1900 Census it is recorded that she was born February 1865. Vaasa's records end on
http://hiski.genealogia.fi/historia/indexe.htm the year of 1855. Hopefully someone will have access to records there and look it up for you. On the 1900 Census Otto is isted as being born in March 1865. I've been unsucessful finding a passenger record for him as of yet. Maybe that would provide further clues. There are many Otto's on Ancestry, but none that I feel comfortable saying they are correct. I'll keep looking. As far as copying the census and passenger records, you can right click on the image (without enlarging it first, click "save picture as" and load it onto your desktop or wherever you want to save the image. If you have a program such as Adobe you can play around with the saved image and enlarge and print it. The records aren't very clear or legible if you just try to copy them on your printer. I'll get back on searching tomorrow; it's getting late and I have to work in the morning..but I usually find time at work to search on the computer. :D

Good night!
Denise

P.S. You will find with each record found on any of your ancestry, mistakes have been made in transcription such as birth year, immigration dates, age at marriage, etc. which cause you to question what info. you have. I had a great grandmother who always celebrated her birthday on July 3rd, but when I finally received her birth records from the parish we found out she had been born March 7th! (ex. b.07.03.1865 when reading a record here in the US you would think July 3, 1865, when it is really March 7, 1865) The only records I have found to be accurate are from the parish records in Finland. They are meticulous with record keeping.

Kaarina
16-01-08, 12:45

Hi Christopher

You can also try to this link
http://www.genealogi.se/roots/

Kaarina

Hagstrom,C.
17-01-08, 04:37
Hi Denise,
Thank you kindly for staying with me on my search! The passngr record you found does indeed seem to be correct as it dovetails nicely with the 1900 census info.Your helpful guidance re:my other questions will be most useful,too.
I cannot emphasize enough how much I appreciate your time/effort on my behalf.Anything that you care to do, at your convenience of course, & pass along will be most gratefully received. Look forward to hearing from you!

Hagstrom,C.
17-01-08, 04:46
Hej Kaarina,

Thanks so much for that link and for your continued interest! I checked it out briefly and have determined that as I acquire( or if I acquire?!) more specific facts related to actual birth dates,parishes, former place of residence,etc., many of these type of links to European records will be very useful.

Again,many thanks for staying with this. Regards from,
Christopher

Denise
17-01-08, 05:31
Hi Christopher,
The 1920 Census lists Anna as widowed, if this is the correct family I have found. Do you happen to know where Edla was buried? New Jersey or Pennsylvania?

Denise

1920 United States Federal Census
Name: Anna Hagstrom
Home in 1920: Camden Ward 11, Camden, New Jersey
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1878
Birthplace: Finland
Father's Birth Place: Finland
Mother's Birth Place: Finland
Marital Status: Widow
Sex: Female
Home owned: Own
Year of Immigration: 1900
Able to read: Yes
Able to Write: Yes
Image: 984
Anna Hagstrom 42
Ebba Hagstrom 22
Ellen Hagstrom 20
Harry Hagstrom 18
Alma Hagstrom 15

Source Citation: Year: 1920;Census Place: Camden Ward 11, Camden, New Jersey; Roll: T625_1023; Page: 14B; Enumeration District: 73; Image: 984.

Source Information:
Ancestry.com. 1920 United States Federal Census

Denise
17-01-08, 05:41
Hi Christopher,
Would this be the correct Harry Hagstrom?

Denise

1930 United States Federal Census
Name: Harry Hagstrom
Home in 1930: Lower Alsace, Berks, Pennsylvania
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1901
Birthplace: New Jersey
Spouse's Name: Evelyn

Education:

Military service:

Rent/home value:

Age at first marriage:

Parents' birthplace: View Image
Harry Hagstrom 29
Evelyn Hagstrom 26

Source Citation: Year: 1930; Census Place: Lower Alsace, Berks, Pennsylvania; Roll: 1999; Page: 1A; Enumeration District: 119; Image: 895.0.

Source Information:
Ancestry.com. 1930 United States Federal Census

Denise
17-01-08, 06:28
Hi Christopher,
Here are 2 possibilites for Otto's passenger records, and neither one is very helpful. :( In fact, I believe both of these records are of the same person when leaving and arriving to N.Y. I've also attached the image of the ship "Arizona".

Denise

Swedish Emigration Records, 1783-1951
Name: Otto Hagström
Birth Year: abt 1866
Place of Origin: Amerika
Destination: New York
Record Date: 29 mar 1892
Port of Departure: Göteborg
Database Name: EmiHamn
Archive Call Number: 47:335:3749
Principal Person: Hagström Otto

Source Information:
Ancestry.com. Swedish Emigration Records, 1783-1951

Discover Your Family StoryNew York Passenger Lists, 1820-1957 New York Passenger Lists, 1820-1957
Name: Otto Hegstrom
Arrival Date: 11 Apr 1892
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1866
Port of Departure: Liverpool, England; Queenstown, Ireland
Ship Name: Arizona
Search Ship Database: View the Arizona in the 'Passenger Ships and Images' database
Port of Arrival: New York, New York
Line: 35
Microfilm Serial: M237
Microfilm Roll: M237_585

Source Citation: Year: 1892; Microfilm serial: M237; Microfilm roll: M237_585; Line: 35; .

Source Information:
Ancestry.com. New York Passenger Lists, 1820-1957

Hagstrom,C.
17-01-08, 19:38
Hi Denise!
You are correct with the 1920 Census & the 1930 Census shows my grndprnts. I'm afraid the Ottos on the pass.recs.are not mine: mine would most likely show arrival to Phila. about 1894, per the 1990 census you found.I'm most interested in tracing Edla & Otto's info.at this point( death recs./prob.listed for Camden NJ around 1910 & then by 1920,rspectvly)so I can find where/when specifically they came from,in order to see if there are living relatives there/for poss.visit,etc. Also,there was supposed to be one othr daughter(possibly named Edith) who may have been adopted out or left to work in Seattle area abt.time of Edla's death and one othr son(johnny) who died in accident, maybe around 1900-14 in Camden/Phila area/age 10-14.
How would one find this? As always,much appreciated--you're remarkable!

Denise
17-01-08, 20:30
Hi Christopher,
Looking online for Camden, New Jersey vital records, I found these options.

Camden County Vital RecordsCamden County Clerk
5th and Mickle Boulevard
Camden, NJ 08103-4001
(856) 225-5300
Camden County Historical Society
Park Blvd & Euclid Ave.
Camden, NJ 08103-3697
(609) 964-3333

I would try the historical society first as they may be able to look these deaths up for you for free or a minimal charge. Through the county of Camden, or the State of New Jersey, there will probably be a substantial charge for each death record. If you "google" Camden, New Jersey genealogy you will come up with quite a few sites that you may be able to post a query on and may be able to get further help that way too. Tracking "Edith" may be a problem as she probably married. I'll see what I can find out. There weren't any Otto's on the Philadelphia passenger records with the surname Hagström. There are Ottos such as Otto Karlsson's (he may be using the patronymic of his father's name) but without knowing more it's difficult to be positive.

Best Regards,
Denise

Hagstrom,C.
17-01-08, 22:02
Hi Denise,
I neglected to answer a question you had from an earlier post(#19) re: Edla's burial place-- I'm fairly certain it was in the Camden NJ area, although I have no concrete facts except for family anecdotes. Otto is most likely there,too.
None of the family that would know for certain are alive any longer to verify.

I also remember that after Edla's death & Otto's remarriage to Anna(and,obviously, before his death sometime between 1910-20),Otto built a new home for the family in Riverton NJ, just outside & to the north of Camden.And when I say he built it,I mean exactly that--he was apparently a master carpenter by trade, according to my grandfather Harry(who was taught by his father and had for many years a large oak carpenters'chest with Otto's tools). Again,this is all family apocrypha. Thank you!

Denise
22-01-08, 05:53
Hi Christopher,
Check out cemetery photos on Hiski for your Norrgård surname. Maybe some clues. http://www.genealogia.fi/haudat/indexe.htm

Denise

P.S. You have to use the umlaut over the å in the name when typing it in or you won't come up with anything. (type 0229 on your calculator side while holding down the alt key on the keyboard)

Hagstrom,C.
22-01-08, 16:52
Hi Denise,
Thanks for that link & also for the info on how to type the letter correctly-- that makes all the difference, as I was not getting any result without it. However, I'm also finding that I'm still halted in my progress without being able to find death/birth dates for either Otto or Edla or to learn where they're actually from,parents'names, siblings, etc. Any ideas/help most appreciated... thanks!

christer
23-01-08, 19:38
Hi Christopher
I checked births for Feb 1865 in Vasa, just one with given name Edla but surname was Wiik. In neighbour parish Korsholm also just one given name Edla but surname was Nyman. Will have to check more later on.Norrgård is a very common surname around Vasa.

christer

Hagstrom,C.
23-01-08, 23:13
Hej Christer:
Thanks so much for that! I suspect that Edla Sophia's Norrgård's family may be from Vaasa area, but I have no firm evidence as yet. You may have noticed in this thread one of Denise's posts(#14) shows a passenger record whose info most closely matches my Edla:'last resid."shows Wasa.My great-grandfather Otto's family may also be from west Finland. I chkd another of Denise's links to cemetery photos(gen.fi.) and there are quite a few Hagströms there also. However,there must be some connection to Ålands as well because that was what my grndfthr Harry always said when I asked where my great-grndprnts came from( he always pronounced it very broadly,like oh-landt).
Your interest & efforts are most appreciated.Pls be in touch with anything you have...Best regards,Christopher.

Ingemar Ekman
02-02-08, 14:16
Hi Christopher,

You mentioned that your ancestors had some connection to Åland. I found in Håkan Skogsjö´s books 3 women with surname Norrgård that moved from mainland Finland to Åland islands

Norrgård, Anna Irene born 1903 in Jeppo Ostrobothnia moved to Vårdö Åland
Norrgård, Gerda Johanna born 1913 in Jeppo Ostrobothnia moved to Vårdö ÅLand
Norrgård, Mirjam Sievä Kyllikki born 1911 Luvia Satakunta moved to Sund Åland

(My grandmother Selin moved 1890 from Sideby Finland to Åland and so did several of her cousins and relatives as well 1890-1910 so I was thinking if Edla Sophia Norrgård moved first and then later her relatives.
/Ingemar

christer
03-02-08, 19:49
HI Christopher

If its the right passengerrecord May 22 1893 you got from Denise then we can read that her ticket was paid by Ida Orre, she was also going to Ida Orre. Well, Orre surname is not very common so there is only two places to look at around Vasa. One is Malax 15 miles south of Vasa and the other is Korsholm,Böle and Böle is the village i live in.Passenger record also said last recidence was Vasa wich means that her passport is issued by Vasa and i have access to that record ,will go to the archive on Tuesday evening and take look in the passport record.
Christer

Denise
03-02-08, 20:23
Hi,
I have found two passenger records for an Ida Orre on Ancestry. I don't know if these will help, but one is from Mustasaari, Korsholm. I'll also check the Institute of Migration and post what I find.

Denise :)

New York Passenger Lists, 1820-1957
Name: Ida Orre
Arrival Date: 18 Aug 1894
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1854
Ethnicity/Race*/Nationality: Finnish
Ship Name: Campania
Search Ship Database: View the Campania in the 'Passenger Ships and Images' database
Line: 12
Microfilm Roll: M237_630

Source Citation: Year: 1894; Microfilm serial: M237; Microfilm roll: M237_630; Line: 12; .

Source Information:

------------------------------------------------------------------------
Name: Ida Elisabet Orre
Arrival Date: 10 Mar 1921
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1898
Ethnic Background: Finnish
Port of Departure: Copenhagen, Denmark
Ship Name: Hellig Olav
Friend's Name: Ernst Orr
Last Residence: Finland
Birthplace: Muslasaarb, Finland
Microfilm Roll Number: 262

Source Information:

Denise
03-02-08, 20:33
Hi,
Here is what I found on the Institute of Migration on an Ida Orre.

Denise

Last name Orre
First names Ida Irene
Other names *
Date of birth . .1895
Marital status 1
Religion *
Occupation Taloll. vävyn tr
Home parish Mustasaari
Province VAA
Passport date 12.07.1899
Passport number 2436
Destination Amerikka
Passport issued by VAA
Remarks Ph äiti Karolina Orre.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Last name Orre
First names Ida Maria
Other names *
Date of birth . .1890
Marital status 1
Religion *
Occupation Mäkitupal. tr
Home parish Sulva
Province VAA
Passport date 13.07.1899
Passport number 2461
Destination Amerikka
Passport issued by VAA
Remarks Ph äiti Maria Sofia Orre.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Last name Orre
First names Ida Elisabet
Age or age group 23
Port of departure Helsinki
Place of destination Gardner
State of destination MA
Price of ticket USD 245
Date of departure from Finland 19.02.1921
Ship from England Hellig Olav
Date of departure from England 25.02.1921
Ocean Line Skand. American
List and page 101/72
Remarks *
--------------------------------------------------------------------

Detailed Sheriff's records information
Last name Orre
First names Ida Elisabet
Occupation Parcellägaredotter
Home parish / residence Mustasaari
Born in 1895-Mar-13
Date of passport/migration 1920
Place of destination America
Additional information Passport Nr 1688.
Source Passport archive of Vaasa province. Box 120. Document: Photo only

Karen Norwillo
03-02-08, 20:34
Christopher,
I don't know if you know this person, but, there is a woman who answered an old post on Roots.web query boards in 2002. She is a Hagstrom and she has information on Otto and Edla. She talks about a Harry Otto Hagstrom born 1901 in Camden, NJ whose parents were Otto Wilhelm Hagstrom and Edla Norgard. I Googled Otto Hagstrom in Riverton, NJ. Karen

Denise
03-02-08, 20:39
Here are the farm names from Institute of Migration with Orre dwellers.

Denise

Search results (Farm names)
Dweller's name Parish name Village name Farm name/Status Time period
Orre Hollola Pyhäniemi Alestalo No 1 1871-1880
Orre Vaasa Vaasa Apprentices, Bk 3, pg 466 1857-1864
Orre Sulva Rimal Berg No 2 1858-1865
Orre Maalahti Yttermalax Brännback No 23 1857-1865
Orre Längelmäki Västilä Brottmåls forteckning, pg 513 1861-1873
Orre Lapväärtti Lappfjärd Bynsmark, pg 332 1860-1866
Orre Karunki Karunki Drengar J, pg 194 1869-1880
Orre Vaasa Vaasa Drengar, Bk 3, pg 523 1857-1864
Orre Hollola Kastari Eerola No 6 1871-1880
Orre Vesilahti Kaltsila Erkkilä No 1 1868-1877
Orre Längelmäki Länkipohja Frääsäri, pg 198 1861-1873
Orre Mustasaari Smedsby Gädda No 3 1857-1863
Orre Hausjärvi Hausjärvi Handverkare, pg 119 1868-1874
Orre Kalvola Keikkala Handverkare, pg 167 1867-1876
Orre Hausjärvi Oitti Handverkare, pg 336 1868-1874

Orre Hollola Hatsina Handverkare, pg 45 1871-1880
Orre Hausjärvi Hamina Handverkare, pg 91 1868-1874
Orre Hollola Uskela Hannula No 7 1871-1880
Orre Vesilahti Järvenranta Heikkilä No 1 1868-1877
Orre Sumiainen Sumiainen Hirvelä No 4 1863-1872
Orre Orivesi Onnistaipale Hörtänä No 7 1860-1869
Orre Messukylä Messukylä Hurinki No 4 1868-1877
Orre Sulva Sundom Öfverby Husfolk, pg 186 1858-1865
Orre Mustasaari Södra Helsingby Husfolk, pg 197 1857-1863
Orre Mustasaari Höstvesi Husfolk, pg 223b 1857-1863
Orre Mustasaari Böle Husfolk, pg 38 1857-1863
Orre Mustasaari Böle Husfolk, pg 40 1857-1863
Orre Mustasaari Böle Husfolk, pg 43 1857-1863
Orre Mustasaari Böle Husfolk, pg 44 1857-1863
Orre Mustasaari Stafversby Husfolk, pg 678 1857-1863
Orre Kokkola Kokkola Hyresfolk, pg 178 1857-1863
Orre Tampere Tampere Hyresgäster A, pg 377 1867-1877
Orre Vaasa Vaasa Hyresgäster, Bk 2, pg 326 1857-1864
Orre Akaa Käyrälä Iso-Mikkola No 1, pg 99 1861-1867
Orre Kärkölä Marttila Juhola, pg 207 1865-1874
Orre Längelmäki Pääskylä Jussila, pg 264 1861-1873
Orre Petolahti Petalax, Norra Juth No 3 1858-1864
Orre Kauhava Kauhava Kampinen No 16 1854-1860
Orre Messukylä Haihara Keskinen No 2 1868-1877
Orre Maalahti Yttermalax Klockars No 20 1857-1865
Orre Hollola Hatsina Kohilo No 2 1871-1880
Orre Hollola Voisti Köninki No 2 1871-1880
Orre Maalahti Yttermalax Köpings No 3 1857-1865
Orre Orivesi Pitkäjärvi Kuijamaa No 1 1860-1869
Orre Ypäjä Perttula Kujala, pg 10 1863-1869
Orre Maalahti Övermalax Lågas No 32 1857-1865
Orre Längelmäki Korpi Leponenä, pg 140 1861-1873
Orre Soini Kuninkaanjoki Leppälä No 16 1855-1862
Orre Sulva Översundom Lervik No 7 1858-1865
Orre Sulva Västersolf Lindmans No 8 1858-1865
Orre Mustasaari Singsby Liten No 4 1857-1863
Orre Petolahti Nyby Lolax No 2 1858-1864
Orre Kruunupyy Övrebråtö Lybäck No 5 1855-1862
Orre Mustasaari Karperö Mård No 8 1857-1863
Orre Mustasaari Martois Martola No 1 1857-1863
Orre Vesilahti Sakoinen Måså No 1 1868-1877
Orre Maalahti Yttermalax Mattlars No 11 1857-1865
Orre Kärkölä Kärkölä Maukola No 2, pg 86 1865-1874
Orre Karunki Karunki Mikkola No 2 1869-1880
Orre Mustasaari Smedsby Näs No 9 1857-1863
Orre Alatornio Alatornio Oäkta barn, pg 487 1869-1880
Orre Kumlinge Kumlinge Oldansos No 8, pg 8 1868-1874
Orre Mustasaari Södra Jungsund Pellas No 2 1857-1863
Orre Hollola Toivola Perho No 1 1871-1880
Orre Oulu City No 65 Pg 113 1868-1880
Orre Oulu City O Pg 162 1868-1880
Orre Karunki Karunki Pigor A, pg 187 1869-1880
Orre Karunki Karunki Pigor B, pg 188 1869-1880
Orre Karunki Karunki Pigor J, pg 196 1869-1880
Orre Alatornio Alatornio Pigor, O, pg 476 1869-1880
Orre Kaarlela Kaarlela Pigor, pg 505 1859-1866
Orre Sumiainen Raikkaus Pihlajamäki No 6 1863-1872
Orre Petolahti Petalax, Norra Prost No 12 1858-1864
Orre Kärkölä Hähkäniemi Ransikkala No 4, pg 35 1865-1874
Orre Maalahti Övermalax Röj No 2 1857-1865
Orre Ylöjärvi Mäkkylä Rusthål No 1, pg 204 1867-1876
Orre Padasjoki Jokioinen Saksala, pg 100 1866-1875
Orre Orivesi Orivesi Siukola No 4 1860-1869
Orre Mustasaari Smedsby Storgård No 1 1857-1863
Orre Muhos Muhos Sukunimet / Surnames pg 178 1881-1891
Orre Sulva Översundom Svarvar No 3 1858-1865
Orre Maalahti Yttermalax Svenn No 7 1857-1865
Orre Viitasaari Keitelepohja Tervaniemi No 6 1857-1866
Orre Hollola Hatsina Tikkala No 5 1871-1880
Orre Kaskinen Kaskinen Tjenstefolk, pg 132 1860-1866
Orre Kristiinankaupunki Rural Tjöck/Tiukka Tjenstefolk, pg 169 1859-1865
Orre Karunki Aapajoki Torpare, pg 178 1869-1880
Orre Alatornio Kaakamo Torpare, pg 190 1869-1880
Orre Karunki Karunki Torppare, pg 91 1869-1880
Orre Isokyrö Orismala Varsanpää No 14 1858-18
Orre Bergö Bergö West No 1 1868-1876
Orre Ruovesi Visuvesi Ylistalo No 3 1863-1869
Orre* Maalahti Yttermalax Bromans No 12 1857-1865
Orre* Längelmäki Länkipohja Frääsäri, pg 197 1861-1873

Denise
03-02-08, 20:51
Hi,
On Institute of Migration I found a Norrgard family on a farm named Orre in Mustasaari.

Norrgård Mustasaari Böle Orre No 5 1857-1863 :)

And here is the full list of farms named Orre and their dwellers.

Search results (Farm names)
Dweller's name Parish name Village name Farm name/Status Time period
- Maalahti Yttermalax Orre No 21 1857-1865
- Mustasaari Böle Orre No 5 1857-1863
- Kauhava Alakylä Orrenmaa No 15 1854-1860
Annala Kauhava Alakylä Orrenmaa No 15 1854-1860
Annala Kauhava Alakylä Orrenmaa No 15 1854-1860
Aro Kauhava Alakylä Orrenmaa No 15 1854-1860
Autio Kauhava Alakylä Orrenmaa No 15 1854-1860
Båsk Mustasaari Böle Orre No 5 1857-1863
Ek Kauhava Alakylä Orrenmaa No 15 1854-1860
Fred Mustasaari Böle Orre No 5 1857-1863
Hällström Kauhava Alakylä Orrenmaa No 15 1854-1860
Hellman Kauhava Alakylä Orrenmaa No 15 1854-1860
Hirsimäki Kauhava Alakylä Orrenmaa No 15 1854-1860
Holma Kauhava Alakylä Orrenmaa No 15 1854-1860
Huhmarsalo Kauhava Alakylä Orrenmaa No 15 1854-1860
Järf Mustasaari Böle Orre No 5 1857-1863
Kaikko Kauhava Alakylä Orrenmaa No 15 1854-1860
Kankaanpää Kauhava Alakylä Orrenmaa No 15 1854-1860
Kankalo Teuva Teuva Orrela No 8 1857-1863
Kaselius Teuva Teuva Orrela No 8 1857-1863
Keisala Kauhava Alakylä Orrenmaa No 15 1854-1860
Kello Kauhava Alakylä Orrenmaa No 15 1854-1860
Kello Kauhava Alakylä Orrenmaa No 15 1854-1860
Ketola Kauhava Alakylä Orrenmaa No 15 1854-1860
Ketola Kauhava Alakylä Orrenmaa No 15 1854-1860
Kirkkomäki Kauhava Alakylä Orrenmaa No 15 1854-1860
Kiviholma Kauhava Alakylä Orrenmaa No 15 1854-1860
Kleimola Kauhava Alakylä Orrenmaa No 15 1854-1860
Klockars Maalahti Yttermalax Orre No 21 1857-1865
Köping Maalahti Yttermalax Orre No 21 1857-1865
Korkiakoski Kauhava Alakylä Orrenmaa No 15 1854-1860
Körri Kauhava Alakylä Orrenmaa No 15 1854-1860
Kortesoja Kauhava Alakylä Orrenmaa No 15 1854-1860
Kujala Kauhava Alakylä Orrenmaa No 15 1854-1860
Kull Maalahti Yttermalax Orre No 21 1857-1865
Kull* Kauhava Alakylä Orrenmaa No 15 1854-1860
Kuokka Kauhava Alakylä Orrenmaa No 15 1854-1860
Lähdetmäki Kauhava Alakylä Orrenmaa No 15 1854-1860
Lähdetmäki Kauhava Alakylä Orrenmaa No 15 1854-1860
Lepistö Kauhava Alakylä Orrenmaa No 15 1854-1860
Lustig Kauhava Alakylä Orrenmaa No 15 1854-1860
Malberg Maalahti Yttermalax Orre No 21 1857-1865
Mattlars Maalahti Yttermalax Orre No 21 1857-1865
Munk Mustasaari Böle Orre No 5 1857-1863
Norrgård Mustasaari Böle Orre No 5 1857-1863
Nygård Kauhava Alakylä Orrenmaa No 15 1854-1860
Nyman Mustasaari Böle Orre No 5 1857-1863
Öberg Maalahti Yttermalax Orre No 21 1857-1865
Olin Mustasaari Böle Orre No 5 1857-1863
Österberg Mustasaari Böle Orre No 5 1857-1863
Palomäki Kauhava Alakylä Orrenmaa No 15 1854-1860
Penttilä Kauhava Alakylä Orrenmaa No 15 1854-1860
Penttilä Kauhava Alakylä Orrenmaa No 15 1854-1860
Perälä Kauhava Alakylä Orrenmaa No 15 1854-1860
Perälä Kauhava Alakylä Orrenmaa No 15 1854-1860
Pitkäjärvi Kauhava Alakylä Orrenmaa No 15 1854-1860
Pölkky Kauhava Alakylä Orrenmaa No 15 1854-1860
Pölkky Kauhava Alakylä Orrenmaa No 15 1854-1860
Pouttu Kauhava Alakylä Orrenmaa No 15 1854-1860
Pukkijärvi Kauhava Alakylä Orrenmaa No 15 1854-1860
Pukkinen Kauhava Alakylä Orrenmaa No 15 1854-1860
Rannanjärvi Kauhava Alakylä Orrenmaa No 15 1854-1860
Riihimäki Kauhava Alakylä Orrenmaa No 15 1854-1860
Söderberg Maalahti Yttermalax Orre No 21 1857-1865
Staf Maalahti Yttermalax Orre No 21 1857-1865
Stor Maalahti Yttermalax Orre No 21 1857-1865
Stor Kauhava Alakylä Orrenmaa No 15 1854-1860
Storbacka Kauhava Alakylä Orrenmaa No 15 1854-1860
Storgård Mustasaari Böle Orre No 5 1857-1863
Sutki Kauhava Alakylä Orrenmaa No 15 1854-1860
Svenn Maalahti Yttermalax Orre No 21 1857-1865
Tossbacka Kauhava Alakylä Orrenmaa No 15 1854-1860
Tuhlari Kauhava Alakylä Orrenmaa No 15 1854-1860
Tuvelin Maalahti Yttermalax Orre No 21 1857-1865
Vähämäki Kauhava Alakylä Orrenmaa No 15 1854-1860
Veitti Kauhava Alakylä Orrenmaa No 15 1854-1860
Vuollet Kauhava Alakylä Orrenmaa No 15 1854-1860
Warvelin Kauhava Alakylä Orrenmaa No 15 1854-1860
Wichtelin Kauhava Alakylä Orrenmaa No 15 1854-1860
Wichtelin Kauhava Alakylä Orrenmaa No 15 1854-1860

Hope this helps! :D

Denise

Karen Norwillo
03-02-08, 20:53
Here is the reply to that post, edited. Harry Otto Hagstrom was born in 1901 in Camden, NJ to Otto Wilhelm Hagstrom and Edla Norgard.
Other siblings of Harry were Ellen Hagstrom, Ebba Sophia Hagstrom Bauer, John Hagstrom and either Edith or Hilda Hagstrom. She was taken in by the Holmes family when Edla died. Harry was 5 at the time. The children were put in the Lutheran Orphanage in Chestnut Hill, PA. When Otto met and married Anna Pasala, he built a two story brick home on River Road in Camden. He brought the children back to be reared by Anna. He had no more children. Otto died when Harry Otto was 15. That would be 1916. John died at age 13 in an accident.
It would appear from the post that the writer is a grandchild of Otto and Edla.
It also says Anna came from an island between Sweden and Finland. She worked for a wealthy family in Philadelphia.
Hope this helps. Karen

Denise
03-02-08, 21:13
Here is info. on Anna Pasala.

Denise

Last name Pasala
First names Anna
Other names *
Date of birth . .1878
Marital status 1
Religion Lut.
Occupation Ent. palvelijatar
Home parish Alahärmä
Province VAA
Passport date . .1900
Passport number 0
Destination Amerikka
Passport issued by HKO
Remarks *

Karen Norwillo
03-02-08, 21:16
Here's Otto and Edla in 1900. Also found the only Harry Hagstrom born 1901 in SSDI born 4 Mar 1901 and died Sept 1982 in Mohnton, Berks, PA.
Ebba Bauer born 26 Dec 1897 and died Mar 1977 in Reading, Berks, PA.

Hagstrom,C.
04-02-08, 01:44
Hi Christer, Denise, & Karen:First off, let me give all of you my heartfelt thanks for your interest & diligence in finding all of this. To clarify for further investigation:1)Christer,this Ida Orre is not known to me in connection to Edla,but pls do follow-up if you think it's pertinent;2)Denise,the Norrgård family*Orre farm,Mustasaari,Böle sounds promising.How do we connect that to Edla?;3)Karen,that Roots.web post is my family.The youngest girl is Edith.John & Marie Holm listed as witness on Otto/Edla's marriage cert.Betwn John & Edith,there is a sister Alma,b.1904.I did not know Anna's surname til now--thx! Now, how do I connect all this back to Europe? Can more be learned about what happened to Edith( I've that Holm family moved to Washington state/Seattle abt.1910--was given a picture recently of all 6 kids of last time they were all together!)Pls keep digging & be in touch with anything found.Many thx & my best to all! Christopher

Karen Norwillo
04-02-08, 01:49
Did you read the 2002 answer to that post? It says Alma lives in PA. I will send you the info PM. Karen

Denise
04-02-08, 02:38
Hi Christopher,
If you go to Hiski, look at Korsholm/Mustasaari parish. The records start at 1671 and end in 1850 that have been transcribed. Type in Orre surname and Norrgård, and you will see both of those families living in the Böle (Böhle) village! :D I think this is a very good lead for Christer to find records that are later in regard to finding Edla.

Denise

Hagstrom,C.
04-02-08, 04:51
Hi Denise:
Thx for the Hiski info.Pls forgive my lack of expertise, but I don't really know exactly how to get on it & find the search area you mention. I think that you may have provided a link in an earlier post, but if that is not so, could you pls forward the appropriate info.for this? Thank you! Christopher

granskare
04-02-08, 05:07
http://hiski.genealogia.fi/historia/indexe.htm

this is the english page. in hiski find the village you are interested in. You may wish to check the "how to" section.
granskare

Denise
04-02-08, 05:13
Hi Christopher,
Here is the link http://hiski.genealogia.fi/historia/indexe.htm
When you get to that screen go to SEARCH PROGRAM FOR HISTORY BOOKS and then you will see a screen on your left side with all the parishes. Scroll down until you get to KORSHOLM-MUSTASAARI, highlight it, scroll down to SELECTED and then in the next screen click ALL-1671-1850 and then a search screen will appear. Type in Orre or Norrgård in the LAST NAME and click the SUBMIT box. Another screen will appear with all the Orre or Norrgård names, and you will be able to see all the names that lived in Böle village.
If you have any problems, let me know.

Have fun searching,

Denise
04-02-08, 05:21
Hi Christopher,
I forgot to mention that when you are on the site for Hiski, the link I sent you, if you click on the green leaf it will take you to another page. Check it out: it has lots of information for you to search ex. family societies, cemeteries, researchers, place names, etc. Just browse around as the site has articles to read, and tons of info.

Best Regards,
Denise

christer
05-02-08, 22:35
Hi Christopher
I found your Edla Sofia in passport record from Vasa:Passport record no 979 March 29 1893 going to Amerika. Edla was born February 18 1865 in Malax and moved to Vasa 1882. You are a lucky boy Christopher because Edla Sofia was found in the family book " Kiöping" which include 4 books of descendants of the Kiöping family from Malax.Each book contains something like 800 pages each and is one of the most researched families around Vasa.For example my wife Marlene is a descendant of Kiöping, my mother in laws boyfriend too so these books are familiar to me. I attached descendants of Edla Sofia for you.
I tried to look for Ida Orre too,looks like she was not a close relative but im sure she has connection to Malax because there is a lot of Orre surnames in those books too.Dont get confused about the many name changes in your family tree because this is how the did in Finland, changed name when they moved from a place to another.Also many children had the same given name,if a child died young the next one got the same name,can be confusing sometimes.Enjoy reading the document and feel free to ask whatever you need.
Christer

Hagstrom,C.
06-02-08, 16:44
Hej Christer: Tackar så mycket(hope that's right)! I am indeed a lucky boy to have so much info.in existence, but also for the generosity of people like you who do so much for someone they've never met...thank you.I'm awkwardly trying to parse what is there; some questions,please:1)was Edla's father married 2x & what happened to 1st wife?;2)When did father die/buried where?;3)Is Malax a village/can a precise address be found for their home?;4)Some way to learn what far did for living?What Edla did in Vasa?
Any connections of Otto Wilhelm Hagström to this area? Anything else you may find/know most appreciated...thanks again & best regards,Christopher.

christer
07-02-08, 17:20
Hi Christoper
"Tackar så mycket" is just perfect.You see, swedish language is not difficult.
So to your questions
1 Johan Gabrielssons first wife Beata Stina Nordman died Nov 13 1892 at age of 52 years.If im not wrong he married his second wife Anna Sofia Eriksdotter Stolpe in 1896.Will check it up.Anna Sofia had one child before, Erik Alfred Annasson Stolpe wich indicates that she was not married before.Erik Alfred Stolpe emigrated to USA March 3 1902.
2 There was no note in the Kiöping book about his death and churchrecord ends at 1900 so im not able to check in the churchrecord and no gravestone for Johan Norrgård at HIski is found.I will ask a friend who has done a lot of Malax research so i guess we will find that too.
3 Malax is a parish with several villages, when i have looked in the churchrecord i will know the village, farm and farmnumber if they were farmers
4 For Edla no mentiones exept for jungfru= maiden, have to check again
No connections were found to Hagström so far.
I will be at the archive on Saturday so hopefully i have some answers for you
after that.
Christer

LBacklund
07-02-08, 19:31
Hi Neighbor!

I did find a Voicemail from you on my work telephone.

Looks like a lot of wonderful people are ready to help find answers to your geneological questions and that you will have to carefully make sense of all the data. For example, when someone suggested that Edla may have come from övermark, not Malax, I searched an old history of övermark and did find a reference to a Norrgård in the 18th century. I also possess a copy of a more recent work published in 1989 that replicates parish records. But since she does not appear to have come from övermark, the other suggestions are better worth pursuing.

Let me know when the best time to telephone would be. I would be happy to help you.

Best Wishes,

L Backlund

Hagstrom,C.
09-02-08, 22:39
Hej to all:

I have just found some further info. on my grt-grndfthr Otto Wilhelm Hagström from the historical society local to their former residence in Camden County. On some federal records called Works Project Admin.#354-4,1937-38, Otto's d.o.b was listed as c.3/1866; place of birth: Russia (Finland/Åland a grnd duchy of Russia at that time); death date: 15 Jan 1917; Father's name: Christian; Mother's name: Sophia. Using parent's first name w/ Hagström(or patronymic Christiansson w/Otto) is it possible to find Otto's home in Finland?
Any guidance/assistance most appreciated! Regards, Christopher

christer
10-02-08, 20:29
Hi Christopher

I digged in the churchrecords yesterday for more info about Edla Norrgård and found some answers to your questions
1,4. Edlas father lived as a tenant farmer at Norrgård farm no 39 in Övermalax
his first wife Beata Sofia died of tuberculosis Nov 13 1892.in Malax
Johan remarried Dec 6 1896 to Sofia Ericsdotter Stolpe b.Aug 5 1852.
2 I have sent a request to some friends i Malax for deathdate of Johan
Gabrielson Norrgård and location of Norrgård no 39 and possible old houses
still remaining.
3 Edla worked as a maid servant in Vasa, unfortunately records dont tell us in
which family.
No connections to Malax as far as i can see, i have sent a request for possible info about Otto Hagström to a friend who lives on Åland so lets see if he can find out something.
Christer

Hagstrom,C.
25-02-08, 23:40
Hej to all,
Need some help on how to follow-up a piece of info.found recently scanning Heritage Quest site at local library. Found my grt-grndprnts infant daughter Edith (see earlier posts this thread;i.e.#39)b.1906 & adopted out of the family upon her mother Edla's death same year. She is listed on 1920 US Fed.Cen. from Trafton, Snohomish Co., WA as 14 yrs.,b. abt 1906 in NJ;daughtr of John & Mary Holm,b.i Finland. These are the same people listed as witness on Otto/Edla's 1895 marriage cert.
How can I trace Edith further? Also, how do I find naturalizatn info on Otto,Edla, & the Holms so I can find place of origin in Finland, etc.?
Thanks! Christopher

Denise
26-02-08, 03:35
Hi Christopher!
I just finally found the 1900 Census for the correct John and Mary Holm. I kept listing John as Finnish as he stated on his 1920 Census, and had a heck of a time finding him. In 1900 he states he is from Russia, which I guess I should have thought of as a possibility. I'll now try to find his passenger record with this new info. In the 1920 Census the birth and immigration were different. Usually when you can find the first census after immigration, it seems to have more accurate information since it must be fresh in the person's mind! :confused:

Best Regards,
Denise

1900 United States Federal Census
Name: John Holm
Home in 1900: Philadelphia Ward 39, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1860
Birthplace: Russia
Relationship to head-of-house: Head
Spouse's Name: Mary
Immigration Year: 1888
John Holm 40
Mary Holm 31

Source Citation: Year: 1900; Census Place: Philadelphia Ward 39, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania; Roll: T623 1480; Page: 18A; Enumeration District: 1003.
Source Information:
Ancestry.com. 1900 United States Federal Census

Denise
26-02-08, 07:09
Hi Christopher,
Still no luck with the passenger record. This is a tough one...but, I found these births to a Holm and a Mary Stron in Washington State. Maybe a connection?

Washington Births, 1907-1919
Name: Holm Holm
Birth Date: 28 Apr 1912
Sex: Male
Father's Name: ??Lon Holm
Mother's Name: Mary Stron
Image Filename: 2867

Birth Date: 17 Jul 1913
Mother's Name: ??AR Stron

Birth Date: 8 May 1915
Sex: Male

Birth Date: 13 May 1918

Hasse
26-02-08, 07:59
As Ingemar notified yesterday there is an article in one of the Åland newspapers yesterday. The article of course is in Swedish so it might be an obstacle for some of you.

The article (http://epaper.nyan.ax/earkiv/2008/02%2D25/642942.htm) as text. Here (http://epaper.nyan.ax/earkiv/2008/02%2D25/page9.htm) is the complete page.
A snipplet from the article text:"...Christopher Hagstrom i New Britain, Pennsylvania USA letar efter information över sin farfarsfar Otto Wilhelm Hagström född ca 1866 i Finland. Enligt Christophers farfar Harry som var född 1901 i USA, hade de anknytning till Åland och som Christopher skriver, fritt översatt: – Det borde finnas någon anknytning till Åland för min farfar Harry sa alltid att han hans föräldrar kom från Åland. Han uttalade det alltid mycket brett, som ett ”Oh-landt”..."
Btw - in the same newspaper there is an article (http://epaper.nyan.ax/earkiv/2008/02%2D25/page8.htm) covering a speech held by Maria Enckell. Ålanders in Alaska.
A snipplet from the text: "...”Den förste europé som helsade oss välkomna efter fullbordad nordostpassage var en numera i Kalifornien bosatt finne från Björkboda bruk i Kimito socken, der jag vistats mycket under unga år. Han var av Alaska-kompaniet sänd för att verkställa något timmermansarbete på Beringön. Då vi ångade fram mot kolonien rodde han oss till mötes och hälsade oss med ropet ”är det Nordenskiöld”..."
Hasse

Denise
26-02-08, 14:17
Hi Christopher,
Still working on Edith...I think I have found her in the 1930 Census, married, and adopted mother Mary Holm living with Edith and family in washington.

Best Regards,
Denise

1930 United States Federal Census
Name: Edith J Colburn
[Edith J Holm]
Home in 1930: Tafton, Snohomish, Washington
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1906
Relation to Head of House: Wife
Mother's Name: Mary
Spouse's Name: William

Education:

Military service:

Rent/home value:

Age at first marriage:

Parents' birthplace: View Image
William Colburn 31
Edith J Colburn 24
Marjorie M Colburn 6
William H Colburn 5
Mary Holm 61

Source Citation: Year: 1930; Census Place: Tafton, Snohomish, Washington; Roll: 2520; Page: 3B; Enumeration District: 130; Image: 509.0.
Source Information:
Ancestry.com. 1930 United States Federal Census

Denise
26-02-08, 14:33
Hi Christopher.
Found this obit. for Edith's daughter, Marjorie's husband, Harold W. Moeller. We're getting closerto finding your relatives in the US anyway! :D

Best Regards,
Denise

Harold W. Moeller
Harold Walter Moeller of Renton died Jan. 18, 2005, in Renton. He was 82.

Born Dec. 30, 1922, in Wenatchee, he served in the Air Force during World War II and the Korean War. He graduated from the University of Washington in 1948 with a bachelor's degree and married Marjorie Edith Colburn on Feb. 21, 1948, in Seattle. He lived in Renton since 1942.

Mr. Moeller was a salesman and real estate agent, having worked in the advertising department at the Renton Chronicle, and as a real estate salesman. He also was the owner of Phaff Sewing Machine Store in Tacoma. He was a past member of the Renton Eagles.

He is survived by his wife, Marjorie Moeller of Renton; sons, Michael, Craig, Rich and Steve, all of Renton; daughter, Sharon Watson of Mississippi; 12 grandchildren; and three great-grandchildren.

Visitation will be from noon to 5 p.m. today at Greenwood Funeral Home in Renton. A funeral will be held at 2 p.m. Friday at Greenwood Funeral Home in Renton. Burial will be at Washington Memorial Park in SeaTac.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

United States Obituary Collection
Name of Deceased: Harold Walter Moeller
Age at Death: 82
Birth Date: 30 Dec 1922
Death Date: 18 Jan 2005
Newspaper Title: South County Journal
Newspaper Location: Kent, WA, Us
Obituary Publication Date: 20 Jan 2005
Locations Mentioned in Obituary: Renton; MS; Wenatchee; Tacoma; Seattle
Other Persons Mentioned in Obituary: Michael; Sharon Watson; Craig; Steve; Marjorie Moeller; Marjorie Edith Colburn; Rich

Source Citation: Newspaper: South County Journal; Publication Date: 20 Jan 2005; Publication Place: Kent , WA , Us..
Source Information:
Ancestry.com. United States Obituary Collection

Denise
26-02-08, 14:39
Hi Christopher,
I p.m. you with Marjorie Moeller's phone and address.

Denise
26-02-08, 14:44
Hi Christopher,
Here is the death of Edith's son William H. Colburn.

Social Security Death Index
Name: William H. Colburn
SSN: 535-10-7818
Last Residence: 98226 Bellingham, Whatcom, Washington, United States of America
Born: 25 Dec 1917
Died: 30 Jun 1998
State (Year) SSN issued: Washington (Before 1951 )

Source Citation: Number: 535-10-7818;Issue State: Washington;Issue Date: Before 1951.
Source Information:
Ancestry.com. Social Security Death Index

Denise
26-02-08, 16:26
Hi Christopher,
I p.m.'d you the phone and address of Marjorie's son, Michael Moeller.

Regards,
Denise

Denise
26-02-08, 16:42
Hi Christopher,
Here is additional info. on Harold Moeller, Marjorie's husband.

Denise

U.S. Veterans Gravesites, ca.1775-2006
Name: Harold W Moeller
Service Info.: CAPT US AIR FORCE WORLD WAR II, KOREA
Birth Date: 30 Dec 1922
Death Date: 18 Jan 2005
Cemetery: Washington Memorial Park
Cemetery Address: 16449 International Blvd Cameron Smock V P & General Manager Seattle, WA 98188

Source Information:
National Cemetery Administration. U.S. Veterans Gravesites, ca.1775-2006

Hagstrom,C.
26-02-08, 20:57
Hi Denise! Thx so much for all the info. I got the pm's & tried to send reply but not sure it went to you.I'll try again.In meanwhile,looks like the 1930 census is definitely my Edith--thanks so much! Is it possible to find further info./death date,etc. for John & Mary Holm or Edith? BTW, why has my thread gone to GSF & what is GSF? Thx again for all your hard work & I'll try you on pm again. Best regards,Christopher

Hasse
26-02-08, 21:30
...BTW, why has my thread gone to GSF & what is GSF? ...r

I took the liberty and moved the thread to another subforum which is built up as an interchange forum between Finlander and the Suku -forum.
The Suku forum is the Finnish-/Swedish -language genealogy forum upheld by the Genealogical Society of Finland. Since I'm administering both forums I felt that this particular thread might get some extra coverage also on that forum - maybe giving some feedback at some point.

Hasse

Hagstrom,C.
26-02-08, 23:06
Hej Hasse,
Thanks for the explanation & apologies for my lack of expertise! That's an excellent means to gain add'l. exposure for my search, of course. Is the SUKU forum only in Finnish or Swedish language & how would I gain access to view?
Again, many thanks & best regards,
Christopher

Denise
26-02-08, 23:44
Hi Christopher,
I understand you have to be a member (and I am not sure how to do the membership) to be able to post and answer queries on that site. I myself have wanted to answer some of the queries that Hasse reposted on Finlander Forum, but found it was not possible for me to be able to post a reply, and many times I had the information that the person was searching for. :( It appears it is all in the Swedish language. I'm just getting the hang of Finnish a little bit! :D so Swedish is still beyond my capabilities.

Sincerely,
Denise

Hasse
27-02-08, 09:16
The Suku forum - a bilingual Finnish/Swedish -forum can be joined the same way as Finlander - but of course the language of the questions are our two national languages. The Finlander forum is in tight cooperation with the Suku forum and I have set up an exchange mechanism for searches that might give some response from the other forum. Answering must however always be done on the original forum! The link to the original message thread is posted in the message on Finlander!! (The exchange mechanism is more of an announcement mechanism to let people on the other forum know about certain discussions going on)

As a general rule I would say that English language questions and the emigration -related questions should be posted on Finlander and Finnish/Swedish "dealing with questions local to Finland" may be posted on the Suku forum.

http://suku.genealogia.fi

At some point in the future I can foresee that the cooperation with the Suku forum will get even tighter - to the benefit of all interested in Finland and genealogy in Finland.

Hasse

Ingemar Ekman
04-03-08, 18:55
Hi Christopher,
Some great news from Johan Granlund in Mariehamn. Johan read the article in the newspaper "Nya Åland" and he has been to the Provincial Archives of Åland and found these Otto Wilhelm born in Finland with the mother's first name Sofia ( Sophia)

1. Otto Wilhelm born 2 March 1868
Mother Sofia Wilhelmina Wallenius
Father the taylor Otto Wilhelm Christén at the farm Orras in village Ebbo in Borgå

2. Otto Wilhelm born 21 April 1864
Mother Maria Sofia Lindroos
Father the farmer Wilhelm Vilander at the farm Tupala in village Levando in Mäntsälä

3. Otto Wilhelm born 17 March 1864
Mother Sofia Kauppinen
Father Josef Myntin Wilhelm Liukkonen at farm no 5 in Laurikkala in Kristinestad Österbotten

4 Otto Wilhelm born 8 July 1864
Mother Beatha Sofia
Father the carpenter Anders Lillqvist from Petersb in Viborg´s Swedish parish

Some comments: Otto Willhelm's wife Edla Sophia was born pretty close to Kristinestad?
If I remember correct you found recently in the death records that Otto Wilhelm was born in April 1864.
A guess: Is it possible that the father died and than the mother was remarried Christian Hagström ?

We hope that any members in Finlander and Suku will send any suggestions
/ Ingemar

Hagstrom,C.
04-03-08, 23:47
Hej Ingemar,
My thanks to you & Johan Granlund for this info from archives in Mariehamn. Not sure if any of these are my Otto Wilhelm: 1) The death record from US cemetery where he/Edla are buried states he died on 15 Jan 1917 at age 52 yrs,9 mos,9 days which puts his birthday, working backward, at 6 Apr 1865(?); on 1900 US Fed.Census his d.o.b. listed as Mar 1865;2) I don't know if Otto's father died & mother re-married--I have absolutely no info about Otto's family before emigration;3) To best of my knowledge, Otto only met Edla after emigration to US/don't think they knew each other in Finland--they married in Philadelphia,PA USA on Nov 23,1895-- but it's always possible. I think they met in Phila. through Finlander friends John & Mary Holm. Thx for all & pls let me know if anything else is found. Regards,Christopher

Hagstrom,C.
05-03-08, 16:16
Hej to all:
Small correction to birth date calculation from cemetery record on my previous post: as was kindly pointed out to me, Otto's birth date would be 6 Apr 1864 (not '65) if age at death was 52 yrs, 9 mos, 9 days on 15 Jan 1917.

Apologies for my mathematically-challenged skills.Thanks! Christopher

June Pelo
19-03-08, 01:25
I did a quick check of HisKi parishes for an Otto Wilhelm, b. 6 Apr 1864 and although there were 43 children named Otto Wilhelm born in 1864, there was only one born on 6 Apr - in Johannes - St. Johannes parish:

Otto Wilhelm, b. 6 Apr 1864 in Waahtola Village No. 1 to crofter's son David Johansson Nikulainen who married 20 Oct 1861 to Anna Lovisa Johansdotter Kurki, age 30. I didn't find any other children born to them in that parish.

I found no record of Otto Wilhelm's birth in Åland. And the names of the above parents don't match what you have posted.

Hagstrom,C.
20-03-08, 17:03
Hi June,
Thanks so much for that info. However, it doesn't seem to match other info. for my Otto as given on records here in US for him. In particular, the US Fed.Census' for 1900,1910, & 1920 all point to Finland Swede origins for him & his parents (copies are attached to early pgs of this thread). Also, on these census', his birth date listed variously as 3/1865 & 1866.
The birth date I gave came from death age listed on his cemetery record & his parents first names came from a 1937-38 W.P.A. record which was probably transcribed, possibly inaccurately, from some orig. doc. I know that record sources here are notoriously unreliable sometimes compared to European records.
Thanks again & pls be in touch with anything else you may have.
Regards,
Christopher

Hagstrom,C.
28-03-08, 21:54
Hej to all,

I had a question/small appeal for help regarding something I found while googling on the internet: I found a site called "wasaroots" which had the names of persons who, I think, research family names from around Vasa. One listing showed "Norrgård Nr 39, Malax". In an earlier post to this thread from Christer, he noted that he'd found my great-grandmother's family were from"Norrgård Nr 39 Övermalax". I wondered if these two might be the same place & if so, whether that person might have info related to my Norrgårds.

Also, I found another person's listing which had the name "Häggström" instead of Hagström or Hagstrom as my great-grandfather's family name was spelled in US. Is it possible that our name was simplified/shortened from that spelling & that I should check that person's file? I also saw next to that a "Holmlund": my great-grandparents had friends named Holm; might that have been shortened,also? Perhaps they were all originally from Vasa area & knew each other before America.

Any thoughts as to whether this is a valid line of reasoning or how to follow-up? Any help most appreciated!
Christopher

June Pelo
28-03-08, 22:37
I would say you need to be flexible when it comes to the way names are spelled. Haggstrom, Häggström, Hägström, etc. My own family name has been mis-spelled many ways: Palo, Polo, Pilo, Pillow, Pellow, Pälo, etc. So just follow up on any that look promising. And, yes, many names were shortened upon emigration. I'm attaching an interesting article about name changes.

Hagstrom,C.
08-05-08, 03:34
Hej to all,
I have another appeal for help adding to some info I just got about my gr-grndmthr Edla's sister. Her name is Hilda Lovisa Johansdttr Norrgård, b.8Jun1880,Malax.She apparently came to US twice:25 May 1902 & 16 Sept 1915;she died 2 Feb 1968, WA state, USA. Could anyone find/advise how to find more about Hilda Lovisa or her family here in US?
Thanks! Christopher

olof
09-01-11, 20:55
Hi,
I have found two passenger records for an Ida Orre on Ancestry. I don't know if these will help, but one is from Mustasaari, Korsholm. I'll also check the Institute of Migration and post what I find.

New York Passenger Lists, 1820-1957
Name: Ida Orre
Arrival Date: 18 Aug 1894
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1854
Ethnicity/Race*/Nationality: Finnish
Ship Name: Campania
Search Ship Database: View the Campania in the 'Passenger Ships and Images' database
Line: 12
Microfilm Roll: M237_630

Source Citation: Year: 1894; Microfilm serial: M237; Microfilm roll: M237_630; Line: 12; .

Source Information:

------------------------------------------------------------------------
Name: Ida Elisabet Orre
Arrival Date: 10 Mar 1921
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1898
Ethnic Background: Finnish
Port of Departure: Copenhagen, Denmark
Ship Name: Hellig Olav
Friend's Name: Ernst Orr
Last Residence: Finland
Birthplace: Muslasaarb, Finland
Microfilm Roll Number: 262

Source Information:

Hi Denice
I am a relativ to Ida Orre and Mother Karolina Orre b.Walderman.Have you any moore info about the family?
Olof