PDA

View Full Version : Looking for ELLI PAJARI -HELSINKI

Ayla
17-01-08, 22:29
My search has taken me to the States and now back again. I simply cannot find any records of my second cousin Elli in America after the 1930 census. It is as if her and her father disappeared off the radar!

My great aunt died very young in 1929, the census was in 1930 and they were listed there. After that, nothing. I can't even find my great aunt's death details in the USA :(( Not sure what I'm doing wrong.

Anyway, I must assume that cousin Elli went back to live in Finland.

So, would anyone have any info on her for me plz.Here are the details :

Elli Pajari (nee Jokinen) born 17 Feb 1914 Finland but was naturalized as a US citizen.
Died 14 September 2000 in Helsinki.

I don't know who her husband was or is. But I do know that it isn't Wilbur H Pajari as previously thought.
Huge thanks!
Ayla

Ron Karjala
31-01-08, 02:31
Hi Ayla,

This may not be the same person. One of my 3 daughters had a 5th grade teacher named Eleanor Pajari. I don't believe she ever married. She was born 17, September 1913 in Minnesota and died 10, April 1988 in Kent, Wa. US.
She taught elementery school in Des Moines, Wa.

Happy hunting, Ron Karjala, Federal Way, Wa.

Ayla
31-01-08, 02:42
Hi Ron,

Thank you so much for that info, sadly, no, it isnt the same lady BUT I am going through all the Pajari families I can find at the moment to see if anyone knew her. My Elli's married name was Pajari, so my best bet now is finding someone who knew her husband/was related to him. It looks like I will only get my answers once I find out who he was. I dont even know his first name
:(((

Every bit of info helps, it is someone else to look into. Maybe she was related to my Elli's husband etc. You never know! ;) Many thanks again.

Ayla
(London, England)

Denise
31-01-08, 05:12
Ayla,
I found your Elli Pajari!!!! :D :D :D She must have married someone with the surname Mäkelä and then a Pajari! I don't know why I never thought of looking for her married name of Pajari on the Institute of Migration! Yippppeeee!!!! It appears she died in Palokka 18.10.2000.

I'm so excited!
Denise

Reference Records
Last name: Pajari
First names: Elli
Other name: Mäkelä
Date of birth: 17.02.1914
Place of birth: Karstula
State of birth: VAA
Country of birth: SF
Date of death: 14.09.2000
Place of death: Palokka
State of death: *
Country of death: SF

References: - Raivaaja 18.10.2000: 4 (Kuolleita).
Remarks: KP: Palokan terveyskeskus. Pso: Anselm Pajari (k). Vih: 1960. LS: 1952.

Denise
31-01-08, 05:18
Ayla,
I think this is her also.

Denise :D

Detailed Sheriff's records information
Last name Mäkelä
First names Elli
Occupation -
Home parish / residence -
Born in -
Date of passport/migration 1958
Place of destination -
Additional information -
Source Passport archive of Vaasa province. Box 103. Document: Photo only

Denise
31-01-08, 05:29
Then this must be hubby!

Social Security Death Index
Name: Anselm Mat T. Pajari
SSN: 002-14-1948
Last Residence: 964 (U.S. Consulate) Helsinki, Finland
Born: 21 Mar 1924
Died: 19 Apr 1998
State (Year) SSN issued: New Hampshire (Before 1951 )

Source Citation: Number: 002-14-1948;Issue State: New Hampshire;Issue Date: Before 1951.

Source Information:
Ancestry.com. Social Security Death Index

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
U.S. World War II Army Enlistment Records, 1938-1946
Name: Anselm M Pajari
Birth Year: 1924
Race: White, citizen (White)
Nativity State or Country: New Hampshire
State: New Hampshire
County or City: Hillsborough

Enlistment Date: 9 Mar 1943
Enlistment State: New Hampshire
Enlistment City: Manchester
Branch: No branch assignment
Grade: Private
Grade Code: Private
Term of Enlistment: Enlistment for the duration of the War or other emergency, plus six months, subject to the discretion of the President or otherwise according to law
Component: Selectees (Enlisted Men)
Source: Civil Life

Education: Grammar school
Marital Status: Single, without dependents
Height: 03
Weight: 105

Source Information:
National Archives and Records Administration. U.S. World War II Army Enlistment Records, 1938-1946

Denise
31-01-08, 05:53
Here's more on Elli's husband, Anselm.

Denise :)

Detailed information (Reference records)
First names: Anselm
Other name: *
Date of birth: 21.03.1924
Place of birth: New Ipswich
State of birth: NH
Country of birth: USA
Date of death: 19.04.1998
Place of death: Jyväskylä
State of death:

References: - Raivaaja 22.04.1998: 10 (kuolleita).
Remarks: Pso: Elli. Vanhemmat: August ja Maria Pajari.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
And this must be Anselm's father, August's passenger record from the Institute of Migration. ;)

Detailed passenger information
Last name Pajari
First names August
Age or age group 32
Port of departure Oulu
Place of destination Conneaut
State of destination OH
Country of destination USA
Price of ticket USD 46
Ship from Finland Astraea
Date of departure from Finland 14.04.1900
Ship from England *
Date of departure from England . .9999
Ocean Line American Linen
Port of departure in England *
List and page 7/65
Remarks *

Denise
31-01-08, 06:04
Here's more on Elli's husband, Anselm.

Detailed information (Reference records)
First names: Anselm
Other name: *
Date of birth: 21.03.1924
Place of birth: New Ipswich
State of birth: NH
Country of birth: USA
Date of death: 19.04.1998
Place of death: Jyväskylä
State of death:

References: - Raivaaja 22.04.1998: 10 (kuolleita).
Remarks: Pso: Elli. Vanhemmat: August ja Maria Pajari.
And this must be Anselm's father, August's passenger record from the Institute of Migration. ;)

Last name Pajari
First names August
Age or age group 32
Port of departure Oulu
Place of destination Conneaut
State of destination OH
Price of ticket USD 46
Date of departure from Finland 14.04.1900
Ship from England *
Date of departure from England . .9999
Ocean Line American Linen
List and page 7/65
Remarks *

Denise
31-01-08, 06:09
And here is spouse Maria Pajari's passenger record!

Boston Passenger Lists, 1820-1943
Name: Maria Pajari
Arrival Date: 3 Jul 1912
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1882
Ethnic Background: Finnish
Port of Departure: Liverpool, England
Ship Name: Franconia
Port of Arrival: Boston, Massachusetts
Friend's Name: August Pajari
Last Residence: Finland
Birthplace: Kenn, Finland
Microfilm Roll Number: 180

Source Information:
Ancestry.com. Boston Passenger Lists, 1820-1943

Denise
31-01-08, 06:27
1910 United States Federal Census
Name: August Pajora
Age in 1910: 31
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1879
Birthplace: Finland
Relation to Head of House: Head
Father's Birth Place: Finland
Mother's Birth Place: Finland
Spouse's Name: Maria
Home in 1910: Milford, Hillsborough, New Hampshire
Marital Status: Married
Race: White
Year of Immigration: 1903
Neighbors: View others on page
Household Members: Name Age
August Pajora 31
Maria Pajora 28
Arvs Pajora 9
Nannie Pajora 4
Atolf Pajora 1 4/12

Source Citation: Year: 1910; Census Place: Milford, Hillsborough, New Hampshire; Roll: T624_864; Page: 4A; Enumeration District: 158; Image: 124.

Source Information:
Ancestry.com. 1910 United States Federal Census

Denise
31-01-08, 06:34
1920 United States Federal Census
Name: August Pagari
Home in 1920: New Ipswich, Hillsborough, New Hampshire
Relation to Head of House: Head
Spouse's Name: Mary
Father's Birth Place: Finland
Mother's Birth Place: Finland
Marital Status: Married
Sex: Male
Home owned: Own
Year of Immigration: 1903
Able to read: Yes
Able to Write: Yes
Image: 1038
Neighbors: View others on page
Household Members: Name Age
August Pagari 41
Mary Pagari 37
Aarvi Pagari 18
Nannie Pagari 14
John A Pagari 10
Miriam Pagari 5

Source Citation: Year: 1920;Census Place: New Ipswich, Hillsborough, New Hampshire; Roll: T625_1009; Page: 2B; Enumeration District: 155; Image: 1038.

Source Information:
Ancestry.com. 1920 United States Federal Census

Denise
31-01-08, 06:42
Boston Passenger Lists, 1820-1943
Name: August Pajari
Arrival Date: 16 May 1903
Ethnic Background: Finnish
Port of Departure: Liverpool, England
Ship Name: Mayflower
Port of Arrival: Boston, Massachusetts
Friend's Name: Matti Pafari
Last Residence: Finland
Microfilm Roll Number: 61

Source Information:
Ancestry.com. Boston Passenger Lists, 1820-1943

Denise
31-01-08, 07:07
And here are the Pajari's and the farms and years they lived there. :)

Search results (Farm names)

Dweller's name Parish name Village name Farm name/Status Time period
Pajari Kemijärvi Isokylä Puikko No 40 1877-1886
Pajari Keminmaa Lautiosaari Torvinen No 13 1865-1874
Pajari Kemijärvi Isokylä Yli-Kärppä No 4 1877-1886

Denise
31-01-08, 18:12
Hi Ayla,
You can probably order copies of Elli's obit. from this newspaper as that is where the Institute of Migration got their information from for their website on her death. http://www.raivaaja.org/

Best Regards,
Denise :D

Denise
31-01-08, 19:45
Hi Ayla,
I just called the newspaper in Fitchburg, Massachusetts for you, and the sweet lady there is going to look up the obituary for Elli Pajari and mail it to me snail mail. They can't fax or email it to me... Sorry :mad: As soon as I receive it I will scan it and post it for you.
Denise

Ayla
31-01-08, 20:00
Hi Denise,

I am stunned, shocked, emotional, everything rolled into one! I cannot thank you enough. I cant believe all the information you have found, that is simply amazing! I cannot wait to see what the obit says, I am dying to find out if they had children, maybe even with her first husband, omg this is sooooooooooooo exciting!!
I had a day away from the computer as it was my 40th birthday, this, by far, has been the best present for me! Thank you SOOOOOOOOOOOOO much!
I am sooooo excited!
So much information to look at and see what else I can find now I know who she was married too. Unbelievable. No problems about snail mail, good things come to those who wait, and we all have to be patient in this game dont we!

I must ring my mom right NOW!!!

Ayla
xxxx

Denise
31-01-08, 20:19
Hello again,
Just want to wish you a very, very Happy Birthday Ayla! :D

Denise

Ayla
31-01-08, 21:02
Please does anyone know what the abbreviations below mean?
Many thanks!

References: - Raivaaja 18.10.2000: 4 (Kuolleita).
Remarks: KP: Palokan terveyskeskus. Pso: Anselm Pajari (k). Vih: 1960. LS: 1952.

(many thanks Denise, still stunned I'm 40 but I have some good genes from my mum's side, not a grey hair or wrinkle yet, in fact my mumi only started going grey at 70. Can't be bad eh! :)))

Denise
31-01-08, 21:04
Hi Ayla,
I've been trying to figure out what the abbreviations on this mean; hopefully if I'm incorrect, someone else on Finlander will be able to help you.

"References: - Raivaaja 18.10.2000: 4 (Kuolleita).
Remarks: KP: Palokan terveyskeskus. Pso: Anselm Pajari (k). Vih: 1960. LS: 1952"

References: Raivaaja (Pioneer-Finnish American Newspaper) October 18, 2000 is when they published the obit. There were 4 postings of Elli's death.
Remarks: KP: (Homeplace) Palokan terveyskeskus (senior row house apartments) Pso: Anselm Pajari (husband) Vih:married 1960. LS (place of departure) 1952.

I think I have that correct! :rolleyes:

Denise

Ayla
31-01-08, 21:12
All sounds good to me. Guess who is going to visit Palokka this summer! I dont know where in Finland it is but I told my mom that we just have to go there!!! :)))
(we are going to Helsinki anyway, it is our first trip back in 20 years, well, apart from my 3 day Lapland trip in December :))

I can't wait!!!!

Denise
31-01-08, 21:27
Hi Ayla,
I believe it is a bit southeast of Saarijärvi.

Denise

Ayla
31-01-08, 21:44
Lovely!
Now, was there any first name for Elli's first husband by any chance? I think if she had any children they would have come from the first marriage perhaps.
Could it mention something in the obit do you think?

Denise
31-01-08, 22:51
Hi Ayla,
No, there was not a first name mentioned for the Mäkelä listed at all; just what you see that she was going by the surname Mäkelä when she married Anselm Pajari.

Denise

Ayla
01-02-08, 00:15
Ok Denise, thanks so much. I shall knuckle down and go through the Makelas I can find. Maybe if I narrow it down to those in MA first. Seems like quite a common name though :rolleyes: It's great to have some names.
Give me a shout when the obituary comes, I can't wait!
Ayla
xxx

ohhh just a thought

I don't suppose there are any members here who may have this Mäkelä family in their list please. The details are above in the previous posts in this thread.
Many thanks!

Denise
01-02-08, 01:52
Hi Ayla,
In a previous post that I can't find now, didn't you mention that you found Elli Jokinen in S. Porcupine, Ontario and she was single, in 1939? I think I would start there. I was browsing a bit at work today thru Mäkelä's in Ontario, Water's Township, Sudbury to be exact, and found there was a place called "Mäkelä's Farm" on someone's obit. Just google; there's a ton of info. there; I just didn't have time while at work today. I think she married her Mäkelä husband in Canada, and possibly her second husband, Anselm Pajari there, before moving with Anselm to Finland. Also, the row house apartments, google "Palokan terveyskeskus" and sites come up that show the type of housing.

Denise:)

Denise
01-02-08, 02:57
Ayla,
About Anselm; I forgot he and Elli were married in 1960, so most likely Finland for that marriage.

Denise

Ayla
01-02-08, 11:40
I have been googling all night, my eyes are all googled now! :D

I didn't find Elli in Ontario, I just suspected that she might have gone there with that friend of hers in 1940. I sent a letter in the post early last week to the Finnish Church in S Porcupine, their email address wouldn't work, so hopefully someone there can fill some gaps for me. No news yet from them, I really hope someone will answer, even if it is a negative, it all helps. I wrote them my email address in the hope that they can respond quickly.

I am getting closer, I can feel it in my 40 year old bones :D :D
I also am working on the Finland side, trying to find out more about when she went back there etc. Interestingly, when i told my mom about Palokka she said the name rang a bell with her. (great when she remembers all these facts which have been hidden in her subconscious all these years!)
She remembers that her other aunt, Elli's aunt too, had a pharmacy in that area, near Jyväskylä and that she remembers visiting many times as a child in the 40's!

So Elli must have had some contact with this aunt and her children to have gone back there......possible? Anything's possible!

So I do have many things in motion to find the answers to my missing questions, fingers crossed they start coming soon. I would love to find Elli's children.Exciting stuff!

Thx again Denise!

Ayla
xxxx

christina
01-02-08, 22:43
Hi.
You kan try to e-mail Palokan Pharmacy, http://www.palokanapteekki.fi/ email: palokanapteekki*apteekit.net to ask about your aunt.

Christina Nordback

Denise
01-02-08, 23:03
Hey Ayla,
Gut feeling tells me this was Elli's Mäkelä husband. He was born in 1912 according to a census record and died in 1954, abou the time she went to Finland. Looking through WW2 Draft Registrations there are 3 other possibilities, and through deduction looking at one's with spouses names listed and ruling them out, etc. these are the one's that are also possibilities.

Kauno W. Makela b. 1917 MA.
Walfred A. Makela b. 1911 MA.
Walter J. Makela b. 1917 MA.

Social Security Death Index
Name: Reino Makela :D
SSN: 029-16-2057
Died: Dec 1954
State (Year) SSN issued: Massachusetts (Before 1951 )

Source Citation: Number: 029-16-2057;Issue State: Massachusetts;Issue Date: Before 1951.
Source Information:
Ancestry.com. Social Security Death Index

Denise
02-02-08, 05:55
Ayla,
Here's an interesting one, Johan Nikolai Makela, born 1894 in Finland, resided in Massachusetts during the WW1 Draft, and in New Hampshire during the WW2 Draft. New Hampshire is where Anselm Pajari resided...But maybe this Johan Nikolai Mäkelä is too old for Elli? Sorry, but this site won't let me attach the images for some reason.

Regards,

World War I Draft Registration Cards, 1917-1918
Name: Johan Nikolai Makela
City: Gardner
County: Worcester
State: Massachusetts
Birth Date: 12 Dec 1894
Roll: 1684565
DraftBoard: 13

Nearest Relative:

Height/Build:

Color of Eyes/Hair:

Signature: View Image

Source Citation: Registration Location: Worcester County, Massachusetts; Roll: 1684565; Draft Board: 13.
Source Information:
Ancestry.com. World War I Draft Registration Cards, 1917-1918
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
U.S. World War II Draft Registration Cards, 1942
Name: Johan John Nikolai Hill
Alias: Johan Nikolai Makela
Birth Date: 23 Dec 1894
Residence: Cheshire, New Hampshire
Birth: Finland
Roll: WW2_2368102

Source Citation: Roll: WW2_2368102; Local board: Cheshire , New Hampshire.

Source Information:
Ancestry.com. U.S. World War II Draft Registration Cards, 1942

Ayla
02-02-08, 11:55
Thank you so much for that Christina! I will look into that.
Denise, thank you for those names, I was getting so confused when I saw hundreds and hundreds of Mäkeläs! You may just have narrowed this list down somewhat for me! :D Looks like Mäkelä is a common surname :rolleyes:

Denise
13-02-08, 19:23
Hi Ayla,
I just received Elli Pajari's obituary in the mail today. It is all in Finnish, and hopefully someone can translate it for you! :D

Best Regards,
Denise

P.S. Hope it was worth waiting for, and has some useful information to further your search!

Ayla
13-02-08, 20:03
Dear Denise,

You have been so wonderful in helping with this search for my second cousin Elli Jokinen, all those records on ancestry, everything. Thank you so very much for this obituary. I read it, my mom read it......:confused: it can't be her. I am so stunned, upset, devastated....I just can't believe it.

The obit says that she went to live in the USA in 1952. But my Elli was born there in 1914. It said that she had no children but is sadly missed by her brothers and sisters. My Elli was an only child as far as I know and as far as the photos tell me. I am so sad and disappointed. It looks like I have to go right back to the drawing board and start again doesn't it.

The last known bit of info I have of her that I found on ancestry is that she was named as a friend of someone called Evert Blomquist who travelled to MA from Finland in 1940. MA was not his final destination, S Porcupine, Ontario was. I wrote to the church there a few weeks ago and had a reply to say they didnt know Elli or this man. Dead end there too.

What do you think about why I can't find Elli's mom's death recorded in 1929? Or her father's. I thought all records up to 1930 were online. I'm so :confused: now, don't know what to do. Mom told me to leave it now until tomorrow and start again with a clear head, but you know how long I have been trying to find her :(((((( I still can't believe I have been chasing the wrong lady. Maybe I need to look more at this Evert man and Canada.

So sorry Denise, you tried so hard for me. :(

Denise
14-02-08, 07:11
Hi Ayla,
I'm going through the Institute of Migration for possible relatives of your Jokinen family in Peabody, Massachusetts. Here is Einar Jokinen, in 1913, going to his brother's (Erhard Jokinen) home. Maybe find a connection somewhere.

Best Regards,
Denise

Last name Jokinen
First names Einar
Age or age group 21
Port of departure Hanko
Place of destination Peabody
State of destination MA
Price of ticket FIM 265
Ship from Finland Arcturus
Date of departure from Finland 23.04.1913
Ship from England Franconia
Date of departure from England 29.04.1913
Ocean Line Cunard Line
List and page 90/63
Remarks Pori!

Denise
14-02-08, 07:29
Interesting one...?

Last name Jokinen
First names Alma
Age or age group 30
Port of departure Hanko
Place of destination S. Porcupine
State of destination ON
Country of destination CDN
Price of ticket USD 142
Date of departure from Finland 22.06.1922
Ship from England Empress of France
Date of departure from England 29.06.1922
Ocean Line C.P.R. Line
Port of departure in England Southampton
List and page 105/92
Remarks *

Ayla
14-02-08, 17:04
That's great Denise, thank you. I have an account with Ancestry but I cant find anything much there :))) This looks good, I will look into this Einar more. I just need to find some other family who may have news about Elli.
Also, with Alma, this S Porcupine keeps cropping up doesnt it!! I have a contact at the church now there. She doesn't respond quickly to emails but I can write back and ask for these new names too. I asked her originally to search for Elli Jokinen and that friend of hers Evert but she said they had no one in their church records of those names. I will write again and see what she says.
My goodness, we have to be so patient with this dont we! Not my strong point sadly, typical Aquarian! :D
Is there any way I can change the title of the thread back to Elli Jokinen instead of Pajari?

Denise
14-02-08, 17:41
Hi Ayla,
Just got off the phone with Peabody City Clerk, Salem City Clerk, Salem City Hall, and numerous other places and finally found out that Ines (Brander) Jokinen and spouse Erhard/Erhart Jokinen are buried in Harmony Grove Cemetery, 30 Grove Street, Salem, Massachusetts 01970. Ines, as you know died August 12, 1929, and Erhard died September 24, 1930. The kind lady at Harmony Grove Cemetery asked me to put a request in writing, and she would go upstairs in their archives to look at what paperwork they have as to their cause of death and any more they may have on the family. She said she would look as time allows, so it may be a bit of time for some answers. Elli is not buried there.
So, I'm off to write my request to Harmony Grove Cemetery and get it in the mail today. Hang in there! We're getting closer! :D

Best Regards,
Denise

P.S. I'm an Aquarian too! In fact, today is my birthday! 53 years young!

http://www.rootsweb.com/~macsalem/HarmonyGroveCemetery.htm
http://www.findagrave.com/php/famous.php?page=cem&FScemeteryid=91058
http://maps.google.com/maps?sourceid=navclient&ie=UTF-8&rlz=1T4IRFA_enUS248US249&um=1&q=harmony+grove+cemetery&near=Salem,+MA&fb=1&view=text&latlng=42524842,-70910256,3968347757288472723
http://books.google.com/books?id=9iP5brDeiq4C&pg=PA258&lpg=PA258&dq=harmony+grove+cemetery+in+salem+massachusetts&source=web&ots=mJIXgkQYcu&sig=9LCqN2YLQDbz3qJd4BUzQT7YMGA

Ayla
14-02-08, 17:56
That's so sad :( . Elli was 15 when she lost her mum and then 16 a year later when she lost her dad. :(
I always had this feeling that she was alone, I could never put my finger on it.
Now I know why! Poor Elli, 16 years old and no parents, what happened to her!

Hopefully we will get a cause of death for both of them later. So they are buried in Salem. I need to study a map of MA now, this is doing wonders for my Geography! :D Thank you so much Denise. Big hug.
Ayla

Ayla
14-02-08, 18:00
OMG I just saw the rest of your message :))))
HAPPY BIRTHDAY!! On Valentines Day too! I hope you are getting thoroughly spoiled today!
xxx

Ayla
14-02-08, 18:39
Here are the photos I have of Elli. I couldnt get the one of her and my grandmother on here, it just wouldnt upload. Shame because the family likeness is uncanny.

Anyway, as I cant change the title of this thread, everyone, please accept this as official notification that I am looking for Elli Jokinen now, not Elli Pajari or Elli Mäkelä.

Born 1914 in MA. I have the travel manifests of a trip she took to Finland with her parents in 1928.
I have her on the 1920 and 1930 census.
I have her on the travel manifest of a friend of hers called Evert Bolmquist, who travelled to MA in 1940 and she was named as his 'friend'.
She was still Elli Jokinen then, aged 26 and unmarried.

After this entry, nothing. It's like she disappeared. Her parents are buried in Salem, the very wonderful Denise found that out for me today. Soooo, I shall be going right back to the beginning and starting again. I have just got to find her. I have been wondering about her all my life and kept being told that she was not alive. Her parents died very young, at age 16 she was alone. All I have are these gorgeous photos. She is my second cousin, my mother's first cousin. Elli's mother was my mother's aunt.

Here we go again eh Denise! Another rollercoaster ride of emotion!

Thank you everyone!
Ayla

(I am checking ancestry but I am pretty new to it and still getting used to it so do please keep your eyes peeled in case I have missed something. Ta! )

Denise
14-02-08, 21:38
Hi Ayla,
Lovely pictures of Elli! :D and a Happy Valentines Day to you... spending my birthday going to our CPA this evening after work to get our business and personal income taxes done! Thrilling, hey? Maybe we can have a nice dinner somewhere to celebrate!

P.S. All requests for info. on Ines, Erhard, and Elli Jokinen are in the mail and on their way to Massachusetts! :p

Ayla
14-02-08, 21:48
Thank you so much Denise, wonderful. Let's see what comes up. I thought it would be nice for you to see Elli's earlier pics too. I also have a photo of her mom and dad but it wouldn't upload. :( Hey ho.

As for taxes, my oh my, I know the feeling. We just got ours done, the deadline is 31st Jan here in England. We were up all night on my birthday, the 30th to get it sorted! :) Hubby's fault, he likes to leave everything to the last minute. (My bits were all sorted and ready of course, organized Aquarian :D )
I must try to keep occupied now with other searches while we wait for the news. It's going to be hard but I am hanging in there! :)
Ayla

Hasse
15-02-08, 01:23
Thank you so much Denise, wonderful. Let's see what comes up. I thought it would be nice for you to see Elli's earlier pics too. I also have a photo of her mom and dad but it wouldn't upload. :( Hey ho.

Try to

squeeze the picture to max 600x600 pixels
keep the size in kB reasonable (100...300k)
save the picture as a .jpg

Ayla
15-02-08, 02:03
squeeze, keep and save Hasse? :D Too technical for me :D :D

It's ok, I understand what the problem is now. It is a picture of a photo and on the page there are 3 photos there. So when I tried to upload it wouldnt do it because I think it couldnt understand what I wanted to do. I can't extract the picture either :((

mmmmm I wonder if I try to upload the image as a whole and then you can click on the pictures separately, I wonder if that will work. Let me try now.

Oh my gosh, I think I did it! Thank you Hasse!

So Denise, here we are. The photo of the women was taken in 1928 in Pori, when Elli and her parents travelled from MA to Finland to visit the family. This is the trip that we have the passenger manifests for. It is also a year before Ines died and 2 years before Erhart died :(( Poor Elli.

Anyway, the lady on the left is my grandmother, next to her is my grandmother's sister in law, next to her is Ines with Elli sitting in front of her and the lady on the far right is my grandmother's other sister in law.

Very poignant isnt it? It's the only pic I have of Elli's mum. In the pic of the 3 men, the man on the far left is my grandfather ;), in the middle is my great uncle Frans and on the right is Erhart, Elli's father.

The smaller picture is of my second cousin Aatos Vuorenheimo and his friends.
So when the info on Ines and Erhart's death comes, this is them. It makes it more real and personal when you see the photos doesnt it. Anyway, almost midnight here now, night everyone!

Ayla
12-03-08, 20:34
A little update, well....it's not little really...it's MASSIVE!

I have found my cousin Elli in Florida, aged 94 and doing well. I can't wait to get more details and communicate with Elli in some way. She is the one whose pic is in this thread. I have been looking for her on and off since I was 4! I'm now 40 so there you go!

I have to say a huge thank you to the amazing Denise who has been on the phone for me and emailing and writing for weeks on end. She has been there all the way, her poor ears must be aching from all the phoning she has done in the last few months and especially in the last few days since we found an Elli that looked a big possibility.Today she confirmed that we have found her...and she is still alive! I am still stunned, shocked, amazed, emotional etc there is a lot of history behind this search which I dont want to bore you all with now! :D

It's a big day for me today! I can officially now say that I have found all my grandmother's brothers and sisters and their families!

If my grandfather is up there watching me, dont worry grandad, I'm going to start on your side now ;)

Lasse1951
12-03-08, 22:17
Congrats Ayla :)

Lasse

Ayla
12-03-08, 22:24
Thanks Lasse ;)
I just reread this whole thread, my goodness what a journey! Denise and I were chasing the wrong Elli for a while there too!

I am still flying here, doubt my feet will touch the ground for a long time yet :D

Also, just to clarify, I have found all my grandmother's brothers and sisters and their families so I can update the Nakkila Brander family history so us younger generations are in it :)) The last time it was done and published was in 1946 so it is time for a big update! :)))