PDA

View Full Version : Swedish Illustrator Gustaf Tenggren

Alan J. Bundy
17-01-08, 21:49
Hello to all,
This has to do with culture so I hope it is suitable.
I have been helping the Swedish researcher Lars Emanualsson with some Cleveland information about the great but neglected illustrator Gustaf Tenggren. He just had published in the American magazine Illustration, A History of American Illustration, a quarterly, in Issue 21, an article- Gustaf Tenggren, A Brief Biography, with a Tenggren illustration on the cover.
Gustaf emigrated to America in the 1920s and worked as an illustrator, eventually working for Walt Disney on Snow White and Pinocchio. Most probably know him from the Little Golden Books, but he was a very, very good serious artist as can be seen from the many illustrations in the magazine. These can be seen in small format on the website www.illustration-magazine.com. He is in the company of Arthur Rackham, Edmund Dulac, Kay Nielsen, and the Swede John Bauer. Lars mentions also, of interest to me, that Gustaf was once a neighbor of Rachel Carson, author of The Silent Stream, in Maine, and did some painting relating to environmental pollution, as this disturbed him. There is also more on the Internet, as usual, about him, but I'm thrilled as can be that this attention is being paid to him.

Very best,
Alan Bundy

Alan J. Bundy
19-01-08, 17:41
Hello to all,
I just wanted to add a bit more about Gustaf Tenggren. First, I mistakenly mentioned Rachel Carson's classic book as The Silent Stream when it is actually The Silent Spring.
Tenggren was an illustrator before he emigrated to the U.S., so its very possible that not only Swedes but Swedish Finns might have seen his illustrations, unless somehow his book or books? would not have been sold in Finland, but I would still think they might have been seen there.
So I just wanted to mention that since Lars is still gathering material for his biography, he would probably appreciate hearing any information or perhaps memories anyone might have involving Gustaf. I don't know if he had any Swedish Finn relatives. But if someone has any remembrances of him they might be of some help and I can put them in touch with Lars. You never know what might be of help and lead to some new information or discovery!

Very best,
Alan Bundy