PDA

View Full Version : US Records Post 1930

Ayla
22-01-08, 01:27
Hi ya,

Please can someone help me with this question. I just want to get something clear in my head :confused: .
On Ancestry we cannot access a lot of records post 1930, there are some for various states not all. (As far as I understand).
So, if I can't find a record of someone's death, is it because that particular state have not made these records available online yet?

(I can't find any record of my great aunt's death in 1929 even though I know she died in MA and it was on 12 August 1929. She died very young, age 39)

So, if these records arent available online yet, then would I be able to obtain a copy if I flew to MA, and went to Essex County to the relevant place?

Thanks!

Ayla

Denise
22-01-08, 04:54
Hi Ayla,
Have you tried contacting any of the genealogical sites in Massachusetts for help? Try this site... http://www.sawyerfreelibrary.org/?&MMN_position=199:199
I'm sure I used this site when trying to help someone else on locating ancestors, and the librarian was very helpful. As far as the vital records online, each state in the US does their own thing. Some prefer to charge for vital records as high as $35.00 for a record usually when obtained through the state. On Ancestry,com you can order vital records, I believe, this is the link https://secure.ancestry.com/VitalChek/selection.aspx?ct=bd&sor=Affiliates&sdo=url&sda=http%3a%2f%2fwww.ancestry.com%2fsearch&cj=1&o_xid=0001259144&o_lid=0001259144
I always try to go through the town clerk or county clerk first, because as I said the state vital records can be pricey. Do you happen to know what town she lived in in Essex County? I can see if I can try to help you obtain the death record. I remember one clerk in Essex had one area of records and another clerk had the other area records. It's a bit confusing how they have it set up.

Denise

Ayla
22-01-08, 14:39
Hi again Denise,

I will try your MA links in a minute, thank you! I have emailed USCerts, last week, no reply yet. :(( Apparently they can send you marriage certificates etc, for a fee of course. I will give it a few days and write again if no news still. They were the first place I tried.

Also, I know that Elli used to live in Peabody, Essex, in fact, her address was 13 Oakland Road (The number 13 is right, not 100% sure about Oakland). I zoomed in on the 1930 census and printed it off, Oakland Road looks like Oakland but it could be something slightly different, it's hard to see)
According to the census, Elli's dad owned this house in 1930 and it was worth about $4500. Elli's dad was also a blacksmith and worked in a leather factory.

I will try anything ;)

Ayla
xxx

Ayla
22-01-08, 15:15
Denise,

I have sent an email to the library now, fingers crossed! Also I checked out the ordering of the certificates from ancestry but I dont have the information about Elli's marriage, apart from her surname. I didnt think I could order unless I had found the certificate I was looking for...?:confused: So I never bothered as I have been able to print off all the bits you have sent and also what I found myself. Would they be able to send me certificates of events after 1930? If they can then GREAT! If they can't then let's see what the library say.
Many thanks again!
Ayla
xxx

Karen Norwillo
22-01-08, 16:34
Ayla,
I've been very successful in getting old records from an organization called Random Acts of Genealogical Kindness or RAOGK for short. Just "Google" RAOGK MA and then see if there's someone for Essex county. If there is, there's usually an email contact. Email them with all the positive info that you know and exactly what you'd hope they could find for you. They usually only ask for reimbursement for copying costs. With todays gas prices, they may request a small travelling fee. It's harder to get newer records than old ones, especially without specific dates. Karen

Karen Norwillo
22-01-08, 17:18
I checked RAOGK and I don't see anyone who matches your need in Essex county. I also found MA Vital Records, births , marriages and deaths, maintains no online indexes or records. Records available only at the Registry or the town where they occurred. Only certified copies available regardless of intended use. Mass. Registry is located in Dorchester and cost of research is 9.00/hr. Here is the website for the Peabody Historical Society and Museum. www.peabodyhistorical.org The Peabody Town Clerk is located at City Hall 24 Lowell St Peabody, MA 01960. Without dates, I'm not sure they can help.

Ayla
22-01-08, 18:27
Thank you so much for those links Karen, this is just what I need, I keep googling MA and goodness knows what comes up but it's all been useless!
I look forward to giving both those a try!

Denise
23-01-08, 16:42
Hi Ayla,
Here is the street map of Peabody. The street in between Englewood and Sheldon (where the star * is) is called Kirkland Road. This is what I p.m. you about. I'll call Ilene back at the county clerks office in Massachusetts. :D

Denise

Ayla
23-01-08, 17:10
wow, I can't believe it! I wish I could get on a plane and go visit!
It's so good to find more links etc. Good luck with Ilene, can't wait to hear. If hubby thinks he is playing poker tonight he can think again! :D

Denise
23-01-08, 17:52
Hi Ayla,
O.K. Here is John Pajari's WW1 Draft and the 1930 Census and map of distance between Peabody and Gloucester. Like I said in the p.m. John Pajari probably had a relative (brother?) that came to stay with them, and only 19 miles from Elli's residence in 1930.

Denise

Denise
23-01-08, 18:02
Ayla,
Here is John Pajari's passenger record. States his father's name was Heikki Pajari. Looks like he was from Alatornio, Finland and going to his cousin's home in Lanesville, Massachusetts, John Petterson's.

Denise

Denise
23-01-08, 18:11
I would guess this John Pajari and Fredrica to be Henrik Pajari's parents. :)

Denise

Tervola - christened

Father's last name: PAJARI => Pajari, Pajari eller Mickote, Pajari eller Liimatt, Pajaris, Pajari el. Sandberg
Child's first name: H => Hans, Hedvig, Helena, Henrik, Henrika, Herman, Hokan, Mathilda, Hans?
Born Christened Village Farm Father Mother Child

29.7.1739 29.7.1739 kn. Matts Henrichss. Pajari Anna Nilsd:r Kando Hans

10.1.1747 17.1.1747 Olof Pajari Brita Koifvuniemi Henric

18.7.1808 24.7.1808 Öfverpackola B:d. Olof Larss. Pajari Brita Henric
------------------------------------------------------------------------
16.7.1847 18.7.1847 Öfv. Paakola Backst. Johan Pajari Fredrica 27 Henrik :)
------------------------------------------------------------------------
9.10.1854 15.10.1854 Backst. Joh. Pajari Erika Herman

14.4.1855 26.4.1855 B:d. Olof Pajari Anna Greta Henrik

Denise
23-01-08, 18:17
Ayla,
Does anyone's name stand out on this WW2 Draft???? :D

Denise

Denise
23-01-08, 18:21
Massachusetts Death Index, 1970-2003
Name: Aino E Pajari

Spouse: Russell N Tirrell
Spouse Death Certificate: 049562
Spouse Death Place: Weymouth
Spouse Death Date: 20 Oct 1999
Spouse Birth Place: Massachusetts
Spouse Birth Date: 3 Jan 1908

Source Information:
Ancestry.com. Massachusetts Death Index, 1970-2003

Denise
23-01-08, 18:34
Hi Ayla,
Here is a passenger record of a George Pajari from Helsinki, Finland and resident of Canada. Could be our Elli's husband?????

Denise

Ayla
23-01-08, 19:49
That WW2 Draft is so clear! Wish they were all like that!
As for George, mmm, I did see him before too but the 'Canadian' bit threw me so I discounted him. Maybe I shouldn't have!

I have also found someone called Evert Bolmquist (don't ask me how I got to him! I can't rememmber! :D ) but he, believe it or not, travelled from Finland to the US on 6th November 1940, his FINAL destination was S Porcupine, Ontario, Canada.
Evert was born in Purmo and he was 33 years and 10months in 1940.

BUT what really made me fall off my chair was that on this passenger list, listed as a friend was.......my Elli Jokinen!!! I could not believe it!
So in 1940 she was 26 years old and still single then. She was the friend waiting for him. Goodness knows what happened, he isnt a Pajari but now Im wondering who he is!!! And Canada too! Like George. Mmm, got to look at a map of Canada now :D