PDA

View Full Version : Lindgren - Beckman

Johan
08-02-08, 20:59
These persons I am related to moved from Sweden to an unknown destination somewhere in America. I would like to have your help in finding these destinations.
The persons in question are:
- Adriana MATHILDA Lindgren b. 9.5.1824 in Naglum. She emigrated 4.6.1869.
and her sister's two children:
- Gabriella Eleonora Beckman b. 6.7.1867 in Glava. She emigrated 31.8.1888.
- Karl Mattias Beckman b. 14.7.1866 in Glava. Accountant. He emigrated 26.2.1889.

Thankful for any information!

granskare
12-02-08, 01:56
http://aforum.genealogi.se/discus/index.html

have you tried the above swedish place?

granskare

granskare
12-02-08, 02:39
now that swedish site charges 100 skr to post something but free to read it.
I had access to ancestry & found this guy, probably you knew this and bad thing is he is going to "w.territory" but hey, that could be Washington state!
I attached it, I think and the dates are correct, ship is Servia. He is on the bottom line and is a clerk.
btw, how did you know those emigration dates? from the church books?
ok, hope this is your man
chuck

Johan
12-02-08, 13:11
Thank you for this information!

Yes, the emigration dates are from church records. I got them looked up from the parish records and answered on Anbytarforum.

One new thing I now know is that Gabriella Eleonora came back and married a sea captain in Sweden. She can therefore be dropped from the list.

Johan
23-04-08, 01:58
Carl Mathias Beckman was born 14.7.1855 (not 1866).

I have looked in ancestry.com and found one Carl Beckman with spouse Caroline in Dekalb, Illinois in Censuses 1910 and 1930. He is said to have been born in 1854 or 1855. Could he be "my" C.M. Beckman?

One new person belonging to this emigrating "family" is Casper Lindgren b. 13.11.1829 in Naglum. He emigrated as a widower to U.S.A. in 1872. I found one Charles Lindgren born 1829 (spouse Elisabeth) in Census 1900 and living in Hennepin, Minnesota. There is also the arrivaldate, which I couldn't look up. Is it too farfetched to assume the name changing from Casper to Charles. ...?

kivinen1
23-04-08, 04:04
now that swedish site charges 100 skr to post something but free to read it.
I had access to ancestry & found this guy, probably you knew this and bad thing is he is going to "w.territory" but hey, that could be Washington state!
I attached it, I think and the dates are correct, ship is Servia. He is on the bottom line and is a clerk.
btw, how did you know those emigration dates? from the church books?
ok, hope this is your man
chuck

Chuck, does that look like it says "Clark" on the same line? There is Clark County here that used to take up most of the State and old Territory. Towns like Hockinson, Brush Prairie, Venersborg, La Center are in Clark County, these are the towns of the Finns and Swedes and Norwegians and Danes.

Just a thought.:) Ilmari

Johan
15-05-08, 00:19
Thank you, Ilmari! The thing is that he was a clerk, but the whole family lived near Všnersborg in Sweden (you mention a town called so in the Clark region - surely after the town in Sweden).

Johan
15-05-08, 00:30
Something new about the Lindgren family:
Maria Eleonora Lindgren who was born 2nd of August 1825 was in her second marriage married to prison director Olof Engelbert Insulin who was born in 1818. This Insulin is said to have "fled" to America in 1869.
I looked in ancestry.com in historical records and found one W.E. Insulin from Sweden coming to New York. Could someone be so kind as to look at his arrivalyear in Passenger and Immigration lists? Would be greatly appreciated.

There seems to be a certain Susan Insulin in Arkansas, Pope county dying in 1933. Could she be a daughter of him of a later marriage perhaps?

The name Insulin seems to be extremely rare.

kivinen1
15-05-08, 00:33
Venersborg is a census-designated place (CDP) in Clark County, Washington, United States. The population was 3,274 at the 2000 census.

The community was established as "Venner's Villas" in the late 19th and early 20th centuries, when a land entrepreneur named J. C. Lanerberg purchased land from various sources (the government, the railroad, and other landowners), divided the land into ten-acre lots, and marketed it in large urban areas throughout the United States, highlighting its resemblance to rural Sweden. As a result, many of the people moving into the area in between 1900 and 1940 were of Swedish ancestry. The growth of nearby Vancouver and Portland led to an influx of new residents in the 1960s.

The land was originally heavily timbered. A number of farms and orchards were established in the early 20th century, some of which are still exist.

As of 2000, the community is still extremely rural; there is one store, which has closed and opened several times since the 1960s, and a small community church

Also from the area newspaper:

Venersborg
50 Years Of Growth Recorded
Compiled from The Columbian Archives

The founding of one of Clark County's richest communities in history and tradition, Venersborg, was commemorated in Aug, of 1959 in a special exhibit at the Clark County Fair.

The early days of settlement and the changes brought about in the Eastern Clark County community during the past years were colorfully recalled in a display prepared by the Venersborg Homemakers Club. A historical narrative of the events was compiled and recorded for the exhibit by Esther Moberg, a resident of the area.

According to Mrs. Moberg's research, the colony of Venersborg was established in 1909 by the Swedish Land and Colonization Company. The name chosen for the community means, in Swedish, "friendly haven."

The founding company purchased hundreds of acres of land and divided it into tracts ranging from 10 to 40 acres in size. Colorful advertisements of the area were distributed throughout the nation and immediately attracted Swedish immigrants from all parts of the country.

After they arrived in Portland, the trip to Venersborg was still a major one for the newcomers. They had to ferry across the Columbia River to Vancouver, ride a trolley car to Sifton, and then hire a horse and buggy at a livery stable there for the final lap of their journey.

The roads were narrow, crooked and hub-deep with mud in the wintertime. The last few miles were even constructed by laying slab-wood on the ground, with the round side up.

The new settlers were taken to the company's headquarters which is now the site of the Henry Aday ranch. Here they lived until their new houses were constructed. Frequently the men would come "out west" to buy land and build their houses before ever sending for their families.

The colony was well under way by August, 1910, when the famous Yacolt forest fire swept over the site. Many homes were burned and most of the settlers were forced to run for their lives to escape the sudden devastation.

Even the tremendous fire was not enough to hinder the colonization, however, and settlers continued to flow into Venersborg. In 1911, a store was constructed at the settlement by a man named Hagberg, who came from Rhode Island. The store for many years served as the post office, and continues to operate in Venersborg, even though it has changed hands many times over the years.

A one-room school was built by the residents in 1912 and served 34 children when it opened. This building is now owned by the Venersborg Community Club and is used as a meeting place for 4-H clubs, the Homemakers Club, and for all community functions.

Five acres of land was donated by the founding company for a church, and in 1913 the Methodist Church was completed. A year later a second church was erected on land donated by John Kullberg and it was called the Swedish Mission Church. Swedish services were held at both churches for many years.

In 1916 Venersborg saw its first telephone when a line was connected between Orchards and the Warren Mattson residence. The year 1920 was highlighted by the establishment of the Venersborg Cannery Association, a cooperative in which local farmers pooled their resources to process their crops.

The nearest high school was at Battle Ground, six miles away, and children who wished to attend were forced to either ride horseback or board at Battle Ground. But in 1922 three residents, Emil Peterson, Axel Johnson and John Dahlin, purchased a new touring car which was used as a school bus.

This was also the year that a new road to Venersborg was graded. It was not graveled, however, and many times the new touring car had to be pushed much of the way to Battle Ground.

In 1925 a brush fire destroyed several houses, a sawmill and the cannery. The cannery was rebuilt but it was abandoned a few years later.

Electricity came to the community in 1925, and in 1931 consolidation with the Battle Ground School District closed the little country school house. In recent years many new homes have been built and now there are about 60 families in Venersborg. The days of farming and lumbering which attracted the early settlers are over, however, and most of the residents commute to Camas, Vancouver or other nearby areas for their employment.

Karen Norwillo
15-05-08, 17:21
Johan,
I found this on Ancestry.From Passenger and Immigration Index 1500's-1900'
W E Insulin 1845 NY, NY 6412.40
Primary Immigrant: Insulin W E
Annotation: Date and port of sailors abandoning ship. Extracted from records in Stockholm, Sweden Archives, signum D1h:1 (1841-1859). Date of registration, rank, place of residence and other general information may also be provided.
Source: Olsson, Nils William "Swedish Seamen Who Deserted in US Ports 1841+1858. In Swedish American Genealogist, vol 3:4 (Dec 1983) pp 141-157
Page: 149
Karen

Johan
16-05-08, 01:49
Thank you both!

He could have still come to that area, but as a first residence place it can be ruled out.

W.E. Insulin have another profession as my O.E. Insulin and comes earlier to U.S.A. than 1869. This rules him out.