PDA

View Full Version : Henkikirjat (Kokoelma)

Denise
28-02-08, 06:25
Hello,
I am trying to teach myself how to use this site :o http://digi.narc.fi/digi/puu.ka and would like to know what the difference is between Henkikirjat and Henkikirjat (Kokoelma). I am attaching an image I've found of my Heikki Karppinen and spouse Elsa's tax record or census, and trying to get an idea of what I am looking at. What are the dates on the left side, what do the numbers mean on the right side of the page, etc.? Are the columns on the right a listing for others living with them, and I'm guessing there is one person under the age of 16 in the household? Are the other names above and below the Karppinen name living in the same house also? In other words, HELP ME PLEASE! :D I'm sure these records will prove to be an awesome tool in assisting me in my quest for ancestors.

"Totally Confused" but having fun learning!
Denise

Jaska Sarell
28-02-08, 11:06
Hi Denise,

I cannot see any specific difference in that tree structure - either leads to same documents, though oddly provinces are listed in one or another or both.
I usually go through search page (http://digi.narc.fi/digi/search.ka), giving the parish name there, and browse through available documents - you'll find "henkikirjat" for different years also in this way.

Those fractions are not dates :confused:
I try to list the column headings:

Byns namn - name of village
Hemmanets nummer - farm number in village
Hela hemmanets mantal - "mantal" (tax unit) of whole farm; usually in fractions
Brukningsdelarnes Mantal - "mantal" of farming sections
> Skatte - owned by the family
> Krono - owned by the Crown
> Frälse - tax-exempt farm, farmed by tenant "landbonde"
Rökar - "smokes", i.e. households
> Frie - free
> Betalande - paying
Hemman, hemmansdelar och öfriga lägenheter samt wärdsfolket i hwarje hushåll
- farm, farm fractions and other houses and hosts in each household
Mantalspenning betalande - "mantal" tax paying
> Mankön - male
> Qwinkön - female
Ifrån mantalspenningar befriade - freed from tax
> Öfwer 64 år - over 64 years of age
> Under 16 år - under 16 years of age
> För andra laga orsaker - for other legal reasons
Summa - sum
> Män - men
> Qwinnor - women
> Folkmängd - total number of people
Gerningsören betalande personer (?)
Öfrige personer i hushållet, utom wärdsfolket - other persons in household besides hosts

In the last column: B[arn] children, sometimes shown as quantity only (male - female).

I hope this will help understanding these records. The form differed a bit in different years.

:) Jaska

Denise
28-02-08, 17:46
Hi Jaska,
Thank-you for your guidance on reading these records..very much appreciated! :D Would I be safe in assuming that the person listed above Henrik Karppinen's name is the farm owner, and Henrik worked a piece of land on that farm? and would Henrik and family be living in a separate home on that land? Sorry, if I sound stupid! :(

I appreciate your time Jaska,
Best Regards,
Denise

Jaska Sarell
28-02-08, 19:59
Hi Denise,

Sorry, that I forgot to pay attention to your specific people :(

Henrik is titled inhyses, i.e. a border. Ranta-Hirvelä farm seems to owned by Valborg Mäki-Järvelä, who lives at farm #64, most probably an heir to the previous farm owner.
Henrik's household consists of himself, wife Elsa, a daughter under 16 years and mother Anna, who is mentioned to be in poor health condition (brkl, bräcklig = fragile) - reason for tax freedom, as she's not over 64.

:) Jaska

Denise
28-02-08, 21:46
Hi Jaska,
Thank-you again! I checked out "Anna" who was Henrik Karppinen's mother, and she must have hung in there from that 1870 tax census, as she ended up living another 9 years and dying in 1879. I appreciate your efforts to help me, Jaska. Thank-you again. :)

Denise