PDA

View Full Version : Kolam/Kolamb and Caino/Kaino

June Pelo
04-03-08, 23:01
I have a request for information on the origins of these family names. I tried to find something on the Net, but had no luck. I have data on these families, but no information about the names. Can someone refer me to a source?

Denise
05-03-08, 13:41
Hi June,
I found these on the Institute of Migration.

Best Regards,
Denise :)

Search results (Farm names)
Dweller's name Parish name Village name Farm name/Status Time period
Kolam Teerijärvi Kortjärvi Ahlsved No 5 1854-1860
Kolam Alaveteli Alaveteli Pigor 1854-1865
Kolam Alaveteli Alaveteli Pigor 1854-1865
Kolam Evijärvi Ina Pohjois-Ina No 2 1853-1861
Kolam Kaarlela Kaarlela Tjenstefolk, pg 410 1859-1866
================================================== ===
Search results (Farm names)
Dweller's name Parish name Village name Farm name/Status Time period
Kaino Teerijärvi Hästbacka Åsbacka No 15 1854-1860
Kaino Teerijärvi Teerijärvi Drengar, pg 254 1854-1860
Kaino Teerijärvi Hästbacka Emet No 14 1854-1860
Kaino Teerijärvi Hästbacka Forsbacka No 8 1854-1860
Kaino Kaustinen Kaustinen Inhyses, pg 103 1857-1868
Kaino Veteli Yliveteli Inhysesningar, pg 403 1856-1863
Kaino Veteli Yliveteli Inhysesningar, pg 406 1856-1863
Kaino Veteli Yliveteli Inhysesningar, pg 421 1856-1863
Kaino Karstula Kyyjärvi Kotkalampi No 6 1850-1860
Kaino Alaveteli Alaveteli Markusbacka No 16 1854-1865
Kaino Alaveteli Överby Ollisbacka No 1 1854-1865
Kaino Veteli Yliveteli Pakkala No 6 1856-1863
Kaino Alaveteli Alaveteli Pigor 1854-1865
Kaino Teerijärvi Teerijärvi Pigor, pg 270 1854-1860
Kaino Teerijärvi Teerijärvi Pigor, pg 273 1854-1860
Kaino Kruunupyy Kruunupyy Pigor, pg 335 1855-1862
Kaino Kruunupyy Kruunupyy Pigor, pg 341 1855-1862
Kaino Kalajoki Pitkänen Pitkänen No 7 1855-1864
Kaino Veteli Yliveteli Pollari No 4 1856-1863
Kaino Alaveteli Alaveteli Skriko No 15 1854-1865
Kaino Teerijärvi Hästbacka Sunabacka No 3 1854-1860
Kaino Kaustinen Kaustinen Tjenstefolk, pg 321 1857-1868
Kaino Kaarlela Kaarlela Tjenstefolk, pg 400 1859-1866
Kaino Veteli Yliveteli Tjenstefolk, pg 467 1856-1863
Kaino Kaustinen Kaustinen Virkkala No 16 1857-1868

Denise
05-03-08, 13:46
Hi June,
Also found this at Amazon Books site...
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000WRAQQY/?tag=ounainhi03-20

Denise :)

June Pelo
05-03-08, 21:23
Thanks, Denise. Now I need to find out how the Kolam/Kolamb name came to exist.

Jaska Sarell
05-03-08, 22:30
June,
I think we all have some early Kolam reference to Kuhalampi - wherever that reference comes from:confused:
Anyway Kuhalampi is a farm name in Kuortane.

:) Jaska

June Pelo
06-03-08, 01:40
Jaska,

Yes, I have that name, too. Descendants in the US are curious about how and where the name came from.

June

cdahlin
06-03-08, 07:51
Kuha is a fish (Gös in Swedish).
Lampi is a small lake.

So it sounds to me that Kolam (Kuhalampi) means a lake with the fish "Gös".

Unfortunately I do not know the english name for Gös. It is a very good fish that you can eat at restaurants.

Christian

harrysme
06-03-08, 08:39
June

Propably you know this: http://www.loffe.net/content/view/1203/61/

The farm of Kolam in Terjärv was mentioned 1556

Harry

Den äldsta jordaboken över Terjärv, från år 1549 uppräknar 11 bönder. Under de därpå följande åren överges 3 hemman, men de återstående 8 har blivit brukade i en oavbruten följd till våra dagar. De är Granö 2 hem*man, Storrank, Fagernäs, Lytts, Byskata och Hästbacka 2 hemman.

År 1549 är Storrank det största hemmanet och säkert även det äldsta. Närmast i storlek och ålder kommer Ravall på Hästbacka. De övriga hem*manen är tämligen små. Under den senare delen av l500-talet tillkom en*dast 2 hemman, nämligen Kolam, som upptogs år 1556 och Lillrank som ut*bröts från Storrank år 1590.

I början av 1600-talet sker en livlig kolonisation. I norr har vi Emmet av år 1603. De stora obebodda ödemarkerna vid Rekijärvi, Kortjärvi och ännu högre upp får sina första bebyggare. Framstegen markeras av Dövnäs år 1607, Kortjärvi 1613, Skytt 1619 och Vidjeskog 1623.

Mot slutet av 1600-talet sker talrika hemmansklyvningar, så att av de gamla och stora hemmanen uppstår många nya. Nybyggen upptas isynner*het i Kortjärvi. Under 1700-talet fortsattes nybyggarverksamheten med god fart. Till en början var hela Terjärv en enda by, men på 1830 talet infördes officiellt indelningen i 3 byar: Kyrkoby, Hästbacka och Kortjärvi.

Jaska Sarell
06-03-08, 10:33
Fi kuha, Sw gös, Latin Sander lucioperca.

My Finnish-English dictionary gives name pike perch.
My Swedish-English dictionary gives pikeperch.
Wikipedia Finnish and Swedish articles lead to equivalent English page for zander (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zander).

:) Jaska

June Pelo
06-03-08, 21:00
I received this response from a genealogist in Finland:

Kolam is (most probably) derived from Finnish Kuhalampi i.e. kuha + lampi (Kuha= pike perch, lampi = lake) .

June Pelo
06-03-08, 21:02
Thanks, Harry. I'll forward your information on to family members here in the US.

Hasse
07-03-08, 11:58
I received this response from a genealogist in Finland:

Kolam is (most probably) derived from Finnish Kuhalampi i.e. kuha + lampi (Kuha= pike perch, lampi = lake) .

I'm no expert on names, but one thing bothers me in the name Kolam, Kolamby and the probable Finnish language name Kuhalampi. Directly xlated Kuhalampi is something in the line of pike perch pond or lake as mentioned. But - during the years I grew up in almost the neighbouring village I never even heard about somebody catching that kind of a fish anywhere in the neighborhood. My father had a deep interest in fishing and we went often fishing to the ponds, lakes and the sea close to our home - but never did we catch or hear anybody catching "gös". If there would have been "gös" in the waters near us I'm sure people would have tried to catch them since the fish is so delicious. I have therefore sometimes wondered if the "Kuha" -part in the Kuhalampi/Kolamb/Kolamby is phonetically derived from something else, some other old word in the vocabulary of the Finnish or Swedish languages of that time.

In the Swedish language dialects in the area we pronounce the Kolamby with a long long "o" vowel - "kooolambyyiji(n)". (the ooo is pronounced approx. as a long "o" in the English word "root"

It would be nice to get some indications where the first inhabitants came from to the current Kolamby village. Did they migrate up the Kronoby/Påras river an settled there or did they come down the same river from the Terjärv side. As I understand the homesteads in Hopsala, Kronoby - among others Gustaf Michelsson as late as 1883, had "utskiften" in the area between Kolamby and the current Åsbacka -road which indicates that there might have been natural connections to the people nearer the coast. Of course this says nothing of where the name of the village or the lake/pond has come from.

My own weak hypothesis is that the "water" names in the area are quite much older than the homesteads and that the new settlers were identified as for example "Matts Eriksson who settled at Merijerfwi", a person living at a location. Since one of my hobbies is boating I have found the names of the different current villages along the Kronoby/Poras river to have lots of "navigation information" included. In a way I feel that the names could be descriptive in a simple roadmap for travelers using the river in more ancient times: Terjärv/Teerijärvi (teeri=orre=Black Grouse; järvi=sjö=lake), Kivjärv/Kivijärvi (kivi=sten=stone), Merjärv/Merijärvi (meri=hav=sea) - the last lake before reaching the sea.

Kuhajärvi would point to the type of fish you could catch in a lake along the river - if the fish type existed there - nevertheless a little difficult to use as navigation information...

Hasse

June Pelo
07-03-08, 17:54
Thanks, Hasse. I think that's the kind of information Kirsi is looking for -I'll send it on to her.

June

bert
13-03-08, 20:56
Hi
For about a year or two back lot´s of fish died in Lepplax .There was also lot´s of gös
who died .The Kronoby /Påras river ends in the lake of Lepplax .
BR
Bert

cdahlin
27-04-08, 20:07
Hi!

Just as Bert told us, much of the fish in the Lake of Larsmo died ab. 1½ years ago when the acidity of the water went too low. But we still have the fish called Gös (Finnish=Kuha, English=Peak-Perch) as you can see on the picture. This "beast" was in my fishing net this morning; 1 kg (ab. 2 lbs) and 45 cm (18 inches). This delicious fish ended up on our dinner table!

So we still have a "Kuhalampi" in the Lake of Larsmo, in Kronoby!

Christian

Ayla
27-04-08, 21:31
Going back to the name Kaino, could Kainu and Kaino be variations of the same name or are they completely different? Is Kainu a shortened version of the place name Kainuu perhaps?
My cousin is married to a Kainu so just wondering, little brain cells working here in London :D

cdahlin
27-04-08, 22:15
Hi Ayla!

No, Kainuu is in the east of Finland, next to the Russian border. This region is called "Kajanaland" in Swedish. You can read more about it on Wikipedia. See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kainuu

Caino (Kaino) was a farm in Vetil.

I do not know if these two names COULD have something in common, but I suppose that this is very long ago if there is any!

This does not mean that the Kainu you mentioned MAY have his ancestors in the Caino/Kaino farm.

My family tree goes back to Caino in Vetil, as most of the now living people in our region do.

Christian

Ayla
28-04-08, 11:45
Hi Christian,

Thanks for your info. I hope to be merging my info with my Kainu family soon so I will know more about how they changed their name later.
Ayla
xxxx
94 days until Helsinki trip. :)