PDA

View Full Version : Sabina from Finland

Kipo
14-03-08, 10:41
Our little family is trying to find Sabina who moved to USA at 1906. She took a ship Astraea from Hanko, Finland at 3.11.1906.(to Worcester MA) She was born at Jurva 31.10.1889 and died 20.3.1971 Usa

Her maiden name was Päivikkö, but I think she had changed the name because it is so difficult name :)

She had two daughters...We hope we can find her grandchildren etc.

Many people have helped me but she is a mystery lady. We haven´t found even passenger records at USA.:confused:

She maybe travelled with Samuel Rintamäki and Hulda Kaunisoja..

Ayla
14-03-08, 12:04
Hello Kipo!

I just wanted to wish you good luck with your search and also to tell you to hang on tight because you could well be starting on a roller coaster ride of emotion! :)
There are some wonderful friends here who do unbelievable things when helping to search. They manage to find so much more information that you can ever hope to find yourself.

Do you have any idea where in the USA Sabina lived? If you or your family remember anything, anything little at all, then it could be a big clue to help narrow the search.

Also, don't ever give up. I had also been looking for a mystery lady, my mum's cousin in America. I am so happy to say I have found her (another thread). I didn't even know her surname or date of birth, just my great aunt's name and date of birth. The only thing my mum remembered was 'something about Massachusetts', but she could never remember why this state rang a bell in her mind. So this was our starting point.

I would ask your family again for any other little details, it is always better to post too much information so the friends here have something to work with.

Enjoy the search and good luck!
Ayla

Kipo
16-03-08, 14:28
Hi Ayla!

I have trying to find Sabina about 4 years..I have only one living relative who know something and she said that Sabina had atleast 2 daughters. She (Sabina) also sent tickets to one relative and wanted her to come to Usa. That relative falled in love, get married and didnt go. She didn´t like about that and was littlebit angry..:D After that she didnt have contact to Finland. Now I have one picture and I hope Sabina is in the picture, I have posted it to other genealogy forum.

No no, I wont give up...:D I think that my only hope is that her grandchildren are surfing internet and find me. Maybe someday that happens.

Ayla
16-03-08, 16:46
Yes, that could happen but don't wait for that. The answers are always out there. I was looking for my cousin on and off since I was about 20, so my search has lasted about 20 years although I wanted to find her since I was a child but had no idea how to do that then :))
Why dont you post the picture here too? I have. You never know!
Also you could ask the experienced members about the possible alternatives to the name 'Päivikko'. A long shot but it is always best to ask everything.
You should see some of the posts and questions I asked in the beginning! :D
Some of them seem so silly now but then I had no idea so I had to ask.
It is....the only way to learn. ;) :D

Kaj Granlund
17-03-08, 18:19
You have a date of death. Do You also know where she died?

Kipo
17-03-08, 19:51
No, there is only date of death at Jurva. I put a picture to topic: Recognize the picture. I don´t know if its Sabina in the photo but they must be my relatives.

Kaj Granlund
18-03-08, 08:33
well then I wouldn't be too sure that it is the actual date unless you check the parish office if they have a death certificate in a file in the archive. Might just be that she was declared dead at that date.
She went to Worchester MA. I suppose as she came from Jurva she was Finnish speaking. And might have joined one of the Finnish congregations in Worchester. So I suggest: try to get in contact with some person that can check the church records. There were also Swedish speaking congregations in that town. If you are lucky (I was) the pastor kept good records and you can follow her. If you find an accurate date of death, and place. Then search the obit in the newspaper. There might be information about the names of her children.

Kipo
18-03-08, 11:45
Kaj, I called to Jurva (parish office) and they said that usually they give all information, and I have (virkatodistus) certificate where is only mark "Died at America at 20.3.1971" They also said that I can call after summer if they have then time to check papers.

Few people are helping me, they focus now to MA.

Kaj Granlund
18-03-08, 13:40
Ok. Then there must have been a person that in 1971 gave the information to the parish office. The interesting question then is who was that person? Is that person living and does that person maybe still have some documents. cause theses information is not automatically transfered from USA to Finland.

Denise
18-03-08, 16:35
Hi,
Here is one possibility for your Sabina. Dates are off a bit, which isn't all that unusual. When checking for passenger records of Samuel Rintamäki, I also found a Simon Rintamäki going to Samuel Rintamäki's in Crystal Falls, Michigan. It appears that Samuel Rintamäki immigrated in 1902 from passenger records I found. Anyway, this Sabina is from Jurva, going to Quincy, Massachusetts. Also, does anyone know if a shortened version of Sabina, would be Sanna? I have also found another possibility for Sabina using that name.

Best Regards,
Denise

Boston Passenger Lists, 1820-1943
Name: Sabina Tonkkala
Arrival Date: 26 Oct 1911
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1894
Ethnic Background: Finnish
Port of Departure: Liverpool, England
Ship Name: Cymric
Port of Arrival: Boston, Massachusetts
Friend's Name: Anne Kujaupaa
Last Residence: Finland
Birthplace: Jurva, Finland
Microfilm Roll Number: 171

Source Information:

Ancestry.com. Boston Passenger Lists, 1820-1943

Denise
18-03-08, 16:47
Hi,
Here is the Sabina in the above passenger record, now married, with a child in this 1920 Census in Quincy, Massachusetts. She lives next to Rintamäki families, and also to Kujanpää's whom she was going to see on her passenger record. Just a possibility.

Regards,
Denise

Kipo
18-03-08, 17:02
I know that Sabina was 17 when she left Finland, but passenger records tells that she emigrated 3.11.1906.

One people helped me and she told me that Sabina has bought tickets to Cunar Line ships(--->Worcester) and Samuel Rintamäki and Hulda Kaunismäki bought tickets at the same time. I don´t know is there any connection. I have to check are these other names near our family, Sabinas aunt or something. My helper haven´t found them from Boston passengerlists etc.

The name Kaunisoja changed Kaunismäki in some place, dont know why.

Kipo
18-03-08, 17:13
Well, should I check this, do you think that it is common that there is 5 years wrong at age etc. ? And I know that she had two girls, and there is boy...

Thank you very much about helping me =) There are atleast 5 people who is searching Sabina right now and several have tried before..;D

Denise
18-03-08, 17:26
Hi,
Here is Sabina's passenger record from the Institute of Migration.

Maybe this will help.
Denise

Detailed passenger information
Last name Päivikkö
First names Sabina
Age or age group 17
Port of departure Hanko
Place of destination Worcester
State of destination MA
Country of destination USA
Price of ticket FIM 211
Ship from Finland Astraea
Date of departure from Finland 03.11.1906
Ship from England *
Date of departure from England . .9999
Ocean Line Cunard Line
Port of departure in England *
List and page 61/60
Remarks *
------------------------------------------------------------------------
This Samuel Rintamäki going to Crystal Falls, Michigan in 1902 is the one I keep running acrossed on Ancestry immigration in 1902. I'm not finding one for 1906 at all.

Search results (Passenger records)
Last name First names Place of destination State Country Date
Rintamäki Samuel Crystal Falls MI USA 19.04.1902
Rintamäki Samuel Worcester MA USA 03.06.1902
Rintamäki Samuel Worcester MA USA 03.11.1906

Last name Rintamäki
First names Samuel
Age or age group 19
Port of departure Hanko
State of destination MA
Price of ticket FIM 211
Ship from England *
Ocean Line Cunard Line
List and page 61/60
Remarks *

Last name Kaunismäki First names Hulda
Age or age group 1N
Port of departure Hanko
State of destination MA
Price of ticket USD 40
Ship from England *
Ocean Line Cunard Line
List and page 61/60
Remarks *

Denise
18-03-08, 17:31
Hi,
Do you know if the name Sanna would be a shortened version of Sabina?

Denise

Kipo
18-03-08, 17:34
Hi!

Sorry, I forgotted to answer that. Sanna is best name near Sabina. :)

Kipo
18-03-08, 20:54
Denise: I think Sabina Tonkkala is not my Sabina, there are still Tonkkalas at Jurva, not related to me. This Sabina was from Niemenkylä, Jurva

I have certificate about Sabinas family in Finland and they lived at Jurva, Järvenpää village, number 5 Kesti

Karen Norwillo
18-03-08, 20:58
Kipo,
There are two sites I found with information about the ancestry of the Päivikkö family One is on Geni and was placed by a Mirja Tikkanen. It has all the brothers and sisters of Sabina. Do you have this info? The other is an Ancestral List and shows the same info. I just Googled Päivikkö. Looks like Sabina was one of 7 children. Unfortunately, it doesn't have any more on Sabina in the US.

Kipo
18-03-08, 21:06
I´m Mirja :D

I have a geni tree but what ancestral list? One gentleman helped me and make some kind of file about my family but he didn´t mention ancestral list or anything. Am I stupid, is that different thing than Geni.com ?:confused:

I have also googled and everything, I even thought that I found Sabina from ancestry.com but there was only people who had lived at street called sabina.

Well, I have made noise at every forum at internet. If Sabinas relatives want to find Finnish relatives it will be easy :D

Kipo
18-03-08, 21:27
Oh, you propably mentioned knuuttila.us pages (ancestral file) Knuuttila is related to me. He has also searched Sabina...

Kaarina
18-03-08, 22:03
this is from ancestry.com
California Voter Registrations 1900-1968 Sabina Päivikkö Residence 1962 Orange Co, California USA

kaarina

Kipo
18-03-08, 22:13
Kaarina: That is the info what I mentioned earlier (people who have lived at street called Sabina etc.)

And Janne Paivikko is my cousin, his name is coming up from ancestry too =)

Kipo
18-03-08, 22:30
If anyone has access to ancestry.com there is Sanna Hantamaki and Sanna Hautamaki at Boston passenger records. I would be very glad if someone would check the records?

Kaarina
18-03-08, 22:42
Is this same Janne?

www.facebook.com/people/Janne_Paivikko/722904319

Kaarina

Kipo
18-03-08, 22:44
Yes, same Janne. He was exchange student years ago, thats why his name is at ancestry :)

Karen Norwillo
19-03-08, 00:27
Here are some of the images for Sanna. I chose those with a birth year close to 1889. None are from the 1906 time. You do know that the Astraea was a "feeder" ship from Hango to England, not the ship that Sabina would have arrived in the US on. Unfortunately, the name of the ship is not given on Migration Institute, only that it was the Cunnard Lines.

Denise
19-03-08, 04:35
Hi,
Here's another Sanna immigrating in 1906.

Denise

Boston Passenger Lists, 1820-1943
Name: Sanna Perkio
Arrival Date: 26 Apr 1906
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1888
Ethnic Background: Finnish
Port of Departure: Liverpool, England
Ship Name: Saxonia
Port of Arrival: Boston, Massachusetts
Friend's Name: Maria Perkio
Last Residence: Finland
Microfilm Roll Number: 92

Source Information:

Ancestry.com. Boston Passenger Lists, 1820-1943

Kipo
19-03-08, 10:18
What do you think about this one:

Name: Samuel Eliguis Kesti

City: Berkeley

County: Alameda

State: California

Birth Date: 1 Dec 1881

Race: White

Roll: 1530662

Name: Samuel Elignis Kesti

Arrival Date: Oct 1906

Birth Date: abt 1882

Birth Country: Finland

Race/Nationality: Finnish

Port of Arrival: St John, New Brunswick, Canada

is from Jurva and has been at Worcester 1900 -06, brother Jaakko

Sabinas brothers name is Juho Eligius. Maybe Samuel is Sabinas cousin or something. I have to order birthcertificates from Jurva parish to now are they related.

Sabinas father was Elias Päivikkö, he was Kesti but changed his name to Päivikkö.

Kaarina
19-03-08, 10:59
This is Tikkasten sukuseura/Mirja Tikkanen/who have webpage to
www.knuuttila.us/nimet/pafg02.htm#66C
address to
www.tikkastensukuseura.fi

If they have someting more about Sabina

Kaarina

Kipo
19-03-08, 11:23
Kaarina: Tikkanen doesn´t mean anything in this case, it is my married name. My maiden name is Päivikkö. :)

I mentioned earlier about knuuttila.us pages, owner of the pages is related to me and he doesn´t know anything about Sabina.

Karen Norwillo
19-03-08, 18:07
Is this possibly Sabina's sister Maria Eleanoora arriving in US, going to Mass. Travelling with a Jacob Kesti? Est. birth of 1887 matches your info. Karen

Karen Norwillo
19-03-08, 18:23
Here are the 1900 census images from Worcester, Mass. for Maria (Meryi) and Jacob Kesti. She works as a laundress in the hospital and he as a wire drawer. Date of emigration match.

Karen Norwillo
19-03-08, 19:05
I searched the Cimorelli Immigrant Ships List, and the only Cunard ship arriving in Nov 1906 to Boston was the Ivernia. It arrived 11/22/1906 from Liverpool to Boston. The other Cunard ships arriving in Nov 1906 to NY were the Carmania, Lucania and Caronia. I would think if Sabina was headed to Worcester, she would have landed in Boston if possible.

Kipo
20-03-08, 08:40
I havent heard that Maria Eleonoora have been at Us but now I´m sure I have to call to Jurva and order more certificates about Kesti people.

What I know about Maria Eleonoora: B. 1887 Jurva Husband Tuomas Helminen B. 1871 Karvia, Finland Married Marias first and Tuomas second marriage at 1910.

What do you think, maybe she went to Canada first? I told before about Samuel Eligius Kesti who did the same? There are so many (Kesti) front names what we have in our family that I have to write or call to Jurva and get birthcertificates ( or virkatodistus- what is name to that in english- help =) )

Somehow I have a feeling that those Kesti´s are related. But let´s wait and see.

Thank you for your help Karen!

Kipo
22-11-10, 23:05
Hi!

After 7 years, we have found Sabinas family. :) Dont stop searching-never :D This is awesome.Thank you to all who tried to help me! One person who tried to help me years ago didn´t forget that I want to find her and she did a big job. She went to USA with our familys old surname Kesti, and her husband was from Finland too. And now we are sending emails with her grandchildren etc. Nice! :)

I wanted to say this in here too because many of you have tried to help me and many of you are searching someone like me. Dont give up, they didnt know at USA that they have family in here to. :D