PDA

View Full Version : Building a family tree for the whole world

June Pelo
17-03-08, 00:42
I have translated an article about DNA from Norden newspaper of 6 Mar 2008. It mentions Finlander Torbjörn Nikus as well as Michael Swanson and Rolf Berlin. The article is attached.

Karen Norwillo
17-03-08, 14:26
June,
I had the pleasure of meeting Torbjörn in 2004. We are distant cousins. We met and exchanged info. I did some research here for him and he did the same for me. I treasure a beautiful blue vase he gave me. Karen

Ayla
17-03-08, 14:39
That was such an interesting read, thank you so much for sharing June.

Ayla

JRipley
25-03-08, 17:42
Thank you June, the article was interesting and informative.

I hope everyone who is interested knows that Y-DNA can only be collected from a man, as MT-DNA can only be from a female.

There are different "levels" of testing but for my male cousin, it was the first test (12 markers) that determined his haplogroup to be N.

For my MT-DNA it took twice as many markers but it was still informative as
H1b is pretty much confined to Finland these days.

Jennifer

wcscott
23-04-08, 03:29
I have translated an article about DNA from Norden newspaper of 6 Mar 2008. It mentions Finlander Torbjörn Nikus as well as Michael Swanson and Rolf Berlin. The article is attached.
June,
Thank you for translating and posting that article.
My FTDNA kit# is 2841 so one can see that I've been waiting a long time for results from my ancestral kinsmen.
Even though my first marker(s) showed me as probably Finnish .. at the time, even Bennett Greenspan didn't have enough data to confirm that .. now he does! But I'm still quietly desperate to find my paternal grandfather's family thru y-dna and locale matching.
I know my father's father was in Buffalo, NY or nearby around 1915-1920. But finding him beyond that much information is gonna be tough .. luckily, my DNA profile seems to be relatively rare, so far...even among Finns.
Just for the fun of it, both my father and I sorta look like Nicola Tesla and I understand that some of the Finn migration may well have come from Croatia or that part of the Baltic region (many, many years ago)
Chris Scott

kivinen1
02-05-08, 20:01
Thank you June, the article was interesting and informative.

I hope everyone who is interested knows that Y-DNA can only be collected from a man, as MT-DNA can only be from a female.

There are different "levels" of testing but for my male cousin, it was the first test (12 markers) that determined his haplogroup to be N.

For my MT-DNA it took twice as many markers but it was still informative as
H1b is pretty much confined to Finland these days.

Jennifer

Hi Jennifer,

Just a little clarification is needed here. True, Y-DNA can only be collected from a man, but mtDNA is passed down from mother to child, so men and women both have mitochondrial DNA (mtDNA). Men, however, can not pass the mtDNA to any of their children.

So, a man wanting to know what his mtDNA haplogroup is can test himself and know exactly which haplogroup his mother and her mother and her mother and so on belonged to.

Unless he has a female sibling or a cousin that came from a sister to his mother, the man is considered a "terminal" member.:)

kivinen1
10-05-08, 02:20
I got a perfect 25 of 25 marker match today on my y chromosome DNA.

Actually, I have 13 exact matches at 25, but this one is more interesting due to geography.

I had already been in contact with him when we were 12/12, and I wanted to see if he was planning on going for more like me, I did 67.

Anyway, his most distant known I1 (formerly I1a) is only a few dozen kilometers away from my most distant known I1.

My paternal paper trail stops at 1810, but his goes back to abt. 1610, and I have some of it. I may be able to work back through the towns that his people were in.

Last month he had e-mailed me, and sent a photo of himself. He is the exact spitting image of my youngest nephew, down to the curly red beard, blue eyes and burly build, and they are both in their mid 30's.

I know he is waiting for the next 12 markers to show up. Now I have to convince him to go for the 67.

This was fun news, now I'm very curious about the next results.:eek: