PDA

View Full Version : genealogy software

Freelund
06-11-03, 14:38
Are there posts anywhere about what might be a good genealogy software to get started inputting family data? I think that is my next task, but not sure which one to choose--there are so many! Am I correct in assuming that GEDCOM is a type of file format and not a software for inputting date? Most of the softwares appear to have the ability to export to GEDCOM format. And, I believe TALKO requires that format. Would welcome any suggestions, comments or insights on the choosing process.

If this subject has been addressed elsewhere, just let me know where.

Thanks. :confused:

Hasse
06-11-03, 16:24
Originally posted by Freelund
Are there posts anywhere about what might be a good genealogy software to get started inputting family data? I think that is my next task, but not sure which one to choose--there are so many! Am I correct in assuming that GEDCOM is a type of file format and not a software for inputting date? Most of the softwares appear to have the ability to export to GEDCOM format. And, I believe TALKO requires that format. Would welcome any suggestions, comments or insights on the choosing process.

If this subject has been addressed elsewhere, just let me know where.

Thanks. :confused:

In this forum there are several genealogy software mentioned and partly commented with information where these can be found etc.

Choose to list the "First Aid - The Help Forum > Software and how-to -stuff " from the beginning (look down under the last thread name listed and change the last pull down menu :"Showing threads xx to xx of xx, sorted by xx in xxx order, from the beginning"

In the user option everybody can choose which messages can be seen, the last days messages, the last 5 days, the last ... days, ... , from the beginning. This may also be changed for one view by setting the "from the beginning" and pressing "Go"

Freelund
06-11-03, 16:36
Hasse,
Thanks. Eventually I'll get this site figured out.
:cool:

Karen Norwillo
08-11-03, 17:38
I just purchased Roots Magic and it's great. Very user friendly. Thanks, June, for the suggestion. I'm almost ready to send my GedCom to Hasse. Karen Norwillo

June Pelo
09-11-03, 00:45
Karen,

I'm glad you like it. I have it as well as Family Origins, its predecessor. I think Kevin also uses RM. It's still fairly new on the market and not as well known. But it received very high praise from the Smart Computing magazine recently.

June

Freelund
09-11-03, 01:42
Thanks for your replies.

I had decided Roots Magic was the one to go with and tried to locate a copy here locally without success. I wanted to get started this week-end. I'll go back to their web-site and order it online tonight.