PDA

View Full Version : Looking for information on Maria Johansdotter Wick/Wiik/Wik

budjohnson
28-03-08, 22:08
I am looking for information on Maria Johansdotter Wick/Wiik/Wik. Her parents etc.
What I have is:
Lakeview cemetary, Escanaba, Delta County, Michigan, USA
Record there says she was Mrs. Andrew (Anders) Finstrom born in Finland.
Her date of birth is listed as Dec. 29, 1878
Her father is listed as John (Johan) Wick and her mother is listed as Margaretta Wick.
She died on Dec. 28, 1943

Swedish-Finn Historical Society - Temperance Society lodge 13 record has:
Givenname_US Mrs. Andrew
Surname_US Finstrom
Surname Wick
Patronym (Not entered)
Birth_village Forsby
Birth_parish Pedersöre (Should have been Nykarleby)
Birth_country Finland

1910 Escanaba Delta County Michigan census record has:
Mary wife of Andrew
Daughter Elsie M
Mary's Date of entry is listed as 1905

1920 Cornell (Outside of Escanaba) Delta County Michigan census record has:
Mary Finstrom Head of household
Daughter Elsie 10
Son Conrad 8
Mary's Date of entry is listed as 1905

1930 Escanaba Delta County Michigan census record has:
Mary Finstrom Head of household
Son Conrad 18

Elsie was married 30.09.1929

The closest Ships manifest in 1905 that I found had Maria Wik from Nykarleby Finland going to a friend Anne Johnsson in East Orange New Jersey. The ship was the St. Paul from Southhampton England and arrived on Feb. 25, 1905.

Bethany Luthern Church record (Swanson 226)
Only shows that she was born in Finland. No birthdate or place of birth given.

June Pelo
28-03-08, 23:01
I found only one Maria Johansdotter Vik - in the Talko database, submitted by Göran Berglund: She was born 19 Dec 1877 in Vik, Karby, to Johan Petter Andersson Vik and Greta Eliasdotter Vik. There was no further information about her, but she was one of 9 children born to this couple.

budjohnson
29-03-08, 01:50
I found only one Maria Johansdotter Vik - in the Talko database, submitted by Göran Berglund: She was born 19 Dec 1877 in Vik, Karby, to Johan Petter Andersson Vik and Greta Eliasdotter Vik. There was no further information about her, but she was one of 9 children born to this couple.

June

Thank you so much.

Bud

Karen Norwillo
29-03-08, 20:40
Bud,
Using the "all" selection on Hiski and entering Maria, 1877-1879, Karby, I got a hit with date of birth as 29 Dec 1877 Maria to Johan Andersson and Margareta Eliaesdotter of Wik farm, Pedersöre. So looks like it's probably her, just a year earlier. Event #31174. Karen

budjohnson
30-03-08, 19:51
Hi Karen
Thank for that. That must be her. The strange thing is that it is under Pedersöre in HisKi and the village listed is in Nykarleby.
Bud

June Pelo
31-03-08, 02:00
Perhaps Karby at one time was considered part of Pedersöre. I found this at http://finlander.eget.net/archive/index.php/t-1259.html:

Between Jakobstad and Nykarleby in the village of Karby in Pedersöre parish, there is located a stone and a sign with the text,” According to legend, King Adolf Fredrik of the Swedish Realm dined here during his trip in Finland in the year of 1752...”

Kaj Granlund
07-04-08, 19:01
Karby is still a part of Pedersöre