PDA

View Full Version : Nykarleby

June Pelo
30-03-08, 21:14
George Sundquist, President of the Finlandia Foundation, wrote this article about traveling to Nykarleby, Finland.

June Pelo
30-03-08, 21:18
I'll have to ask Hasse what happened to the attachment to this posting.
June

Hasse
30-03-08, 22:24
June

For some reason the attachment was 2.6 MB, ie. something very "Microsoft Office" -like happened to the document. When I opened the document and resaved the rtf file I could get it shrunk to 8 kB - which means that 99,99% was unnecessary space. The big size was the reason the file didn't upload.

Hasse

June Pelo
31-03-08, 00:38
Do you suppose the picture of the old school house was too large? The article was typed in Microsoft Word, but not saved as 2 MB!!

sune
31-03-08, 21:13
I simply must put in a small correction to the otherwise correct text. Jakobstad was founded in 1652, not "around 1649".

Sune

Hasse
31-03-08, 21:44
I just added the picture to the attachment document. Thus - to see the whole document with the picture of the church and all you have to download the pdf -document.

Hasse

debbiesantelli
16-04-08, 18:54
Just as conversations with George are interesting and culturally rich, this story offers both historical and current perspectives of the Nykarleby area. Thanks for posting it, June - it took me along on a very pleasant ride...

I am printing a copy to share with my parents today.

Debbie

Gwenda
18-04-08, 09:00
Thank you very much. Nykarleby is where my grandfather came from, so I was really pleased to see the picture and article.:D

bert
20-05-08, 19:04
Hi Gwenda
My mother is also from Nykarleby .What name had your grandfather ?Did you have relatives there yet ?
Sincerely,

Gwenda
27-05-08, 09:38
Hi Bert

Sorry, I haven't been into Finlander for a week or so, and only just noticed your posting. My grandfather was Matts Sundberg. His details and those of his parents, grandparents, etc. are in a message I posted to Finlander way back in 2004 (29/1/04) in the Genealogy Forum, entitled Sundbergs - Looking for Cousins. There is also a story I posted to the History and Culture Forum of Finlander about the same time entitled Matts Sundberg - from Nylarleby to Australia. I think, if memory serves me correctly, the story is in two parts.

I believe I do still have some distant relations still in Nykarleby - a Heidi Strandvall (born Sundberg) and Fredrik Liljestrom.

bert
27-05-08, 10:09
Hi Gwenda
Thank you for your reply.Fredrik Liljeström have a great website about Nykarleby .
www.nykarlebyvyer.nu .I think you already know about that.Greetings from Kållby .I was born in Ytterjeppo Nykarleby lkm and my mother was born in Nykarleby and are back there now after he´s retiring .