PDA

View Full Version : Help Dating A Photo

Ayla
07-04-08, 18:35
Hi all,

Please can anyone help me date this photo. If we can narrow down to the nearest decade perhaps then that would be great. I am hoping that this young girl's clothing will help date it. Also, any idea about how old she could be. (I'm not that good at guessing ages!)

Huge thanks!

Ayla

Ayla
09-04-08, 01:53
Anyone? pleeeeeeeease? I really have no idea which in decade this photo was taken so any clues/hints/help would be much appreciated.
If I can just work out the decade then that may help me solve the puzzle as to who this girl is.
Huge thanks!
Ayla

Denise
09-04-08, 05:47
Hi Ayla,
When I looked at this photo it reminded me of a letter I have that is dated 1917-1920 from a relative in Finland written to her sister. Her daughter asked for silk ribbons from America from her aunt who had immigrated to the US. I noticed this little girl has what appears to be silk ribbons in her hair. I googled trying to find a site to date your photo, but few have photos of children's clothing. Most are adult women and men's clothing. I'll keep looking, but hope this may be a clue.

Best Regards,
Denise

Merja
09-04-08, 10:08
Hi,

Ive found that the photo itself, not only the image, will help dating it. Like, what kind of paper was used, what is the stamp like, name of the photographer etc
My guess at the age of this child is five to seven but that is pure guesswork! I only have sons :-)

Merja

Denise
09-04-08, 15:30
Hi Ayla,
This dress style with the blouson top and almost sailorlike collar appear to be from 1910-1920 and the site I found stated the following about hair ribbons. Also the dress appears to be dotted swiss silk material which began in 1905. I agree with Merja that the girl appears to be 5-7 years of age.

Denise :)

"From 1910 older girls were wearing softer colours and only small girls wore whites or creams. The younger children often wore styles following yoked smocks, but older girls wore their sashes at waist level.

By contrast after 1910 streamlined pleated navy gym tunics (centre image), drill dresses or sailor looks became the fashion for schoolgirls of the day.

Very large cape collars were worn over coloured slips. Sleeves were fuller at the wrist than they had been since the crinoline era and sometimes the fullness was gathered into a deep 5 inch cuff or was elasticated as a frill.

Bows were used to lift the hair and keep it organised into a centre parting. Coloured ribbons of all types were sometimes arranged with elastic to create coiffure effects.

Three quarter length socks almost reached to the knee."

Ayla
09-04-08, 15:34
Thank you so much Denise and Merja, sadly I only have a copy of the photo but I can ask my cousin for more details and will post back here later. Elli sent it to me Denise, to ask if I knew who she was. Elli has had this photo all her life in her collection and had no idea who it is.
Ayla
xxxx

Ayla
09-04-08, 15:36
Our messages crossed :)))
You are amazing to find this info!

Ayla
25-04-08, 21:03
I have found out who the little girl is and the year. Spot on girls!

It was taken in 1915 and it is of my mom's cousin, Aino Annikki Paloheimo-Junnelius. She was born in 1907 so she was about 8 here.
Wonderful!!
Don't you just love it when puzzles have been solved!
Huge thanks again!

Ayla
xxxx