PDA

View Full Version : Prest

June Pelo
08-04-08, 21:32
I have a request that may be impossible to solve. Brita Johanna Andersdotter Prest, b. 14 Dec 1872, Karleby, Finland, emigrated to the US and died 23 March 1950. Nothing more is known about her, except that she had two sisters and a brother who emigrated to Aberdeen, WA 1890-1900. None of their families know anything about Brita. Is it possible to find anything about someone without knowing where they lived?

Karen Norwillo
08-04-08, 23:47
June,
I believe I found the brother in WA, both in Chehalis and King Counties. He is listed sometimes as Ernest sometimes as John E. On the Finnish Deaths in King county is John E Prest born 2 Apr 1875 and died 30 Aug 1941. Father Andrew Prest, mother Hannah Kotta. He was 66. I found him and wife Charlotte on the 1910, 1920 and just him in 1900. WWI Draft Reg says he's a ships carpenter, forman. In 1910, his cousin, R Rasmus and wife Ida live with them in Aberdeen. John says he emigrated 1891. Other records from Seattle. I'll poke around the pages to see if I see Brita Johanna.
Karen

Karen Norwillo
09-04-08, 00:23
June,
Found a Selma Prest arriving Jul 1900 to Boston on "New England" 19, from ?GloKarleby, going to E Anderson, in Duluth. In the WA Birth Index, is a child, son, born 2 May 1904 in Aberdeen, mother: Selma Prest 23, father: Victor Smith 27, a saw setter, both from Finland.
1910 and 1920 family in Aberdeen Ward 1, same as Ernest Prest. By 1920, there are 3 children, Wallace W15, Ralph R 12, Glenn G 6, Victor's brother Isaac 27, sister-in-law Edna S 21, both from Finland, and their daughter Elaine E 3 6/12 born MI. SSDI has Selma H Smith 5 Jun 1881, died 15 Mar 1966, Enumclaw, King, WA.
No sign of Brita yet. Karen

Karen Norwillo
09-04-08, 00:26
Here's the arrival of Selma in 1900 and the 1920 census.

June Pelo
09-04-08, 03:02
Thanks, Karen. That's the correct family. I'm just assuming that Brita probably lived near her siblings, but don't know that for sure. Wonder how her death date was known to be 1950...

Karen Norwillo
09-04-08, 21:21
June,
Attached is the 1895 Minnesota Census for Duluth. See under Anderson, there's Ernest Prest. He's staying with an E A Anderson and his wife Hannah. Could that possibly be Brita Johanna? She said she was going to Duluth and to an Anderson. Maybe she married him. Karen

Karen Norwillo
09-04-08, 21:26
Here's the full page of the 1895 census. I'll check this family closer in other years.

Karen Norwillo
09-04-08, 21:41
I think this is your family. The date of birth fits and there's a Prest staying with them who is listed as a sister-in-law. You gave a 1872 DOB for her, but I noticed on your Emigrants from Ostrobothnia, her DOB is 22 Feb 1871.

Karen Norwillo
09-04-08, 22:15
Here's the other census years. The only Hannah, Johanna or Brita Johanna Anderson I found in the MN Death Index was a Brita Johanna Anderson who died 9 July 1951 in St Louis County. Entering the date they gave you, nothing close comes up. One option is to get a copy of the death record from St Louis County.

June Pelo
09-04-08, 22:50
June,
Attached is the 1895 Minnesota Census for Duluth. See under Anderson, there's Ernest Prest. He's staying with an E A Anderson and his wife Hannah. Could that possibly be Brita Johanna? She said she was going to Duluth and to an Anderson. Maybe she married him. Karen

Karen,

Did you find Brita Johanna? You said (above) that she was going to Duluth to an Anderson. What you found about Lydia Prest and Ernest Prest staying with E. A. Anderson and wife Hannah, has to be correct. Lydia and Ernest were Brita Johanna's siblings and there two other sisters who also emigrated: Hilda and Selma. The only problem with Hanna Anderson is her birthdate. According to the info. sent to me from Finland, she and a twin brother Anders were born 14 Dec 1872 in Karleby, Finland. Is it possible she was mixed up when she gave her birthdate to the census taker? The dates in the Emigrant list were given to me by someone else and I'm sure he could have been wrong because I found mistakes in other dates he gave me.

Lydia Prest is listed as sister-in-law, so she must be a sister of Hannah. I have no information about E. A. Anderson. Lydia married Otto Palm and they lived in Duluth. She disappeared in 1946 and no clue was ever found as to what happened to her; she was declared legally dead 7 years later. According to info. given to me, 4 sisters: Brita Johanna, Hilda Maria, Anna Lydia and Selma Hildur, and a brother Johan Ernst emigrated. All eventually went to WA except Lydia who lived in Duluth. I'll pass all this along to the family to see what they think.
Thanks, Karen.

Denise
09-04-08, 23:33
Hi June,
The Institute of Migration had a passenger record for Selma Prest.

Best Regards,
Denise

Detailed passenger information
Last name Prest
First names Selma
Age or age group 17
Port of departure Kokkola
Place of destination Duluth
State of destination MN
Country of destination USA
Price of ticket USD 63
Ship from Finland Arcturus
Date of departure from Finland 30.06.1900
Ship from England *
Date of departure from England 99.99.9999
Ocean Line Dominion Line
Port of departure in England *
List and page 18/2
Remarks *

Denise
09-04-08, 23:41
Hi June,
There are also passenger records for a Charlotta and John Prest travelling to N.Y. in 1931, an Edvard going to Bessemer, Michigan 1902, and a Herman going to Salt Lake, Utah in 1901. Would you like those records?

Also on passports there is an Erik b. 1873 Vöyri, passport year 1903, and Erik Edvad b. 1883 Oravainen passport year 1903, and an Isak b. 1886 Munsala, passport year 1905.

Would you like me to post those? :)

Regards,
Denise

Denise
09-04-08, 23:45
Hi June,
Also found these on the Institute of Migration under Finnish Americans.

Denise :)

Search results (Finnish Americans)

Last name First names County/City State Country
Prest Frances, Miss Sweetwater County (residence Sudbury, Ontario, Canada) Wyoming USA
Preston E B Bingham Canyon Utah USA
Preston Lois Carbon County Wyoming USA
Preston O D Bingham Canyon Utah USA
Preston O T Bingham Canyon Utah USA

Karen Norwillo
10-04-08, 00:11
June,
My error with saying Brita was going to E A Anderson, it was Selma. But Hannah was already there by 1900, so I think it must be her on the 1895 MN Census. It looks like they all used middle names, at least for awhile. It appears Ernest, Selma and Lydia all went to their sister in Duluth before moving on. Karen

Karen Norwillo
10-04-08, 00:58
The MN Birth Index shows Edward Ernest Anderson born 4 Jan 1902 in St Louis county, MN. MMN incomplete, only Hannah.
I've found E A Anderson as Edward, Engelbrect and Angelbert.

June Pelo
10-04-08, 01:19
When I looked at the record of Selma's arrival in 1900, I saw the name below hers was Edla Pelo - she was my father's aunt! She was on her way to Ely, MN. What a surprise. I imagine the two women got acquainted on the journey.
Denise, I don't think any of those names belong to this Prest family except Charlotta and John Prest - she was his wife and maybe they were taking a trip to Finland. Thanks to Denise and Karen for good detective work.

Denise
10-04-08, 05:54
Hi June,
Thought I would post their passenger record for you! :D

Best Regards,
Denise

Last name Prest
First names Charlotta
Age or age group 57
Port of departure Helsinki
Place of destination New York
State of destination NY
Price of ticket USD 86
Date of departure from Finland 28.07.1931
Ship from England Aquitania
Date of departure from England 08.08.1931
Ocean Line Cunard Line
Port of departure in England Southampton
List and page 133/3
Remarks *

Last name Prest
First names John
Age or age group 56
Port of departure Helsinki
Place of destination New York
State of destination NY
Price of ticket USD 155
Date of departure from Finland 28.07.1931
Ship from England Aquitania
Date of departure from England 08.08.1931
Ocean Line Cunard Line
Port of departure in England Southampton
List and page 133/3
Remarks *

Karen Norwillo
10-04-08, 16:32
June,
On the St Louis county GenWeb, I found the marriage of Presh, Hannah and Anderson, Engebert 1891-03-28. Despite the mispellings, I think it's them. I also posted a request for someone to look for that 1951 obit for Brita Johanna Anderson. Let you know what I hear back. Karen

June Pelo
10-04-08, 18:47
The family thinks Hanna Anderson was Brita Johanna Prest - he just wrote: My mother used to exchange Christmas cards with a cousin named Ed Anderson who lived in Duluth. Any children of Brita's would have been my mother's cousins. Although the 1900 census doesn't show a young son named Ed probably because he wasn't yet born. If a later census would show a son of Ed and Hannah's also named Ed, then I believe that would be 100% proof that Hannah and Brita are one in the same.

He also wrote about Hilda Maria Prest, who emigrated and married Herman Swan: "I do know that when Herman emigrated with his parents, they first lived in Ludington MI; however I don't know his parents names." Can someone find Herman Swan in Ludington, MI before 1900 - he was married in 1900 in Duluth to Hilda Prest. He was born in Sweden 1880.

Denise, I'll send him the passenger records. He was quite excited to get what I sent previously. Thanks. And Karen, thanks for following up on that obit - hope it's Hanna.

June Pelo
10-04-08, 20:31
Hilda Maria Prest was married 1900 in Duluth to Herman Matts Swan, b. 28 Sep 1880 in Sweden - nothing more known about him. We can't find a record of him in Sweden, so I wonder if there would be a record of his arrival in the US in 1888. He came with his parents (no info.) and they ended up in Ludington, MI for a while. It's possible Swan was a name they chose in the US. We found a number of Hermans emigrating from Sweden in 1888, but none with the name Swan and none named Herman Matts.

Karen Norwillo
10-04-08, 22:23
June,
If you look at the 1910-20-30 censuses, you'll see Edward Anderson with Hannah. I did post his stats for birth and death on the previous page. Karen

Karen Norwillo
10-04-08, 22:42
June,
Here's Hilda and Herman in 1900 and 1930. You'll see he lives with his parents, Matt and Sophia in Duluth in 1900. Hilda is listed as d-in-l. In 1930, they're in WA Grays Harbour. Karen

Karen Norwillo
10-04-08, 22:57
Here's 1895 MN Census, 1910 Census WA and Herman's WWI Draft Reg.
SSDI has Herman Swan 28 Sep 1880-Oct 1977 in Seattle, King, other: Hoquiam, Grays Harbor. I didn't find anything in Ludinton, MI. Karen

Karen Norwillo
10-04-08, 23:38
June, If you look at most of the census images, you'll see the Swan family says Finland, except one says Sweden, but that one says Hilda is from Sweden too. Also, the date of emigration says about 1882. I found Mat and Sophia Swan in the MN Death Index. He died 28 Oct 1920 and she died 27 Jun 1924. I see a Hilda M Swan in the WA Death Index 27 Feb 1966 in Seattle. The 1895 MN Census says Mats and Sophia are from Finland and they've been in Duluth 3 yrs and 6 months. So they may have come there from Ludington. Karen

June Pelo
11-04-08, 02:08
Karen,

Yes, the Swan family lived briefly in Ludington and then moved to Duluth, so that probably is the same family. We didn't know the names of Herman's parents, but they must be Matts and Sofia Swan. That's a clue. Someone told us that Herman Swan was born in Sweden, but maybe they thought it was Sweden because he spoke Swedish. Looks like they came from Finland. I'll have to go back and look for E. Anderson, too. Thanks for checking. David will be happy to get the latest.

June Pelo
11-04-08, 03:45
Just tried to do a quick check of HisKi for a Herman Mattsson, b. 28 Sep 1880 born to Matts Swan and Sofia. Didn't find anyone named Herman born on that date. I did find Anders Herman, b. 28 Nov 1880 in Forsby, Pedersöre to Matts Andersson Björn and Lena Sofia. Sounds possible.

Also Herman, b. 19 Apr 1880, Grägg, Forsby, to Matts Mattsson and Lena Sofia Jakobsdotter.

There was no one named Swan, so perhaps Matts and Lena took the Swan name when they emigrated.

Karen Norwillo
11-04-08, 17:00
June,
I requested via RAOGK in MN, a copy of the wedding license for Anderson, Engelbert and Presh, Hannah in 1891. I'm hoping it will contain some more info. Let you know.
I see there are loads of Swan, Svahn, Svahnbäck, Svanholm etc on Hiski. I tried all variations on Ancestry Immigration records, no luck. Karen

June Pelo
11-04-08, 20:02
Thanks, Karen. The family is delighted with the census records and said they have learned a lot, and found answers to unanswered questions. Hannah's son Ed never married and lived with his mother to the last. And they're glad to know the names of Herman's parents: Matts Swan and Sofia, even if they don't know where they lived in Finland. I tried to find them, but evidently they didn't live under the name Swan in Finland.

Karen Norwillo
12-04-08, 18:06
June,
Figured I might as well complete the Prest family. Here's what I found on Lydia and Otto Palm in Duluth. Found Otto's arrival in 1907 on SS Ivernia 23 May 1907. He's going to his sister Lydia Palm in Superior, WI. Found 1910-20-30 census records. Also Otto A Palm died 4 Dec 1937 in St Louis County per MN Death Index. Will need to do in two replies due to size.

Karen Norwillo
12-04-08, 18:14
Here's rest of images. You'll find Otto's stats on his WWI Draft Reg. Also, MN Death Index has Hubert (Bert) Elvin Palm 3 Nov 1910-8 May 1961 in St Louis county MMN Prest, file # 032006-1961-Record # 1466822. Couldn't find anything more on Nathalia W or Dolores G Palm. Hard to trace girls. From what you said previously about Lydia disappearing in 1947, that would have been abt 10 years after Otto died. Sure can't wait for the 1940 census to come available. Karen

cdahlin
12-04-08, 18:23
When I had a search on Hiski for Anders Herman Björn from Forsby I could find his birth. But I also found several death dates with the same name. It looks like the family had several boys with the same name, but all died small.

So I do not think your Anders Herman is here.

Christian

Karen Norwillo
12-04-08, 18:48
June,
On MNGenWeb St Louis county, which incidently is an excellent site for anyone with ties to that county, I found Bert E Palm in the 1949 Duluth Telephone Directory at 230 W 7th St. I also found his high school graduation from Denfield HS in 1929. I'm wondering if Chuck Maki still goes to Swenson? Haven't heard from him lately. Swenson has holdings of the Duluth Posten Vol 11 no 1 Jan 6, 1898 to Dec 6, 1918 on film # 9010. Wonder if it would show Palm/Prest marriage about 1907-1908? It was a merger of Duluth and Superior, WI Svenska amerikanska tribunen. Karen

Karen Norwillo
12-04-08, 22:04
June,
I found the 2 daughters on Ancestry through the MN Birth Index, MN Death Index and MN Marriages.Nathalie Waldina Palm married Reino Walfred Tuominen. I found this through the births of their children. I'll send you all that through your home email for privacy. Nathalie W Tuominen born 3 Apr 1909 and died 26 Oct 1990 in Duluth. This is from SSDI and MN Death Index.
Reino W Tuominen 23 Feb 1912-13 Oct 1976 Duluth. Same sources. Reino's parents were John and Minnie Tuominen. He also had a brother Eino J who was a year younger on the 1930 census. Parents born Finland. I found father on the WWI Draft cards. John Tuominen 12 Jan 1885. Found his arrival SS Bavarian 13 May 1905 from Parkano, Finland going to Oscoda. This is from Border Crossings Canada to US. John died 6/2/1967 and Minnie died 1/10/1967. From MN Death Index.
So after that success, I did the same thing with Dolores. Dolores Geraldine Palm married Norman Burl Springstead. Norman born 13 Jun 1920 and died 18 Jan 1996 St Louis County. He served in US Army in WWII. I'll send the rest privately. Karen

June Pelo
12-04-08, 23:21
Thanks, Christian. It was just a wild guess. Hard to find someone when you don't know anything about them..

Karen, thanks a million for all that new information which we didn't have. Look forward to the rest of it and then I'll pass it along. No, haven't seen Chuck Maki's name recently. Maybe he's not well. We miss his willingness to help.

Karen Norwillo
13-04-08, 01:17
June,
Here's Johan Tuominen's arrival in Quebec. Canada's site says 17 May 1905 arrival of the Bavarian, not 12th.