PDA

View Full Version : News from Finland

June Pelo
12-04-08, 18:15
Copenhagen and London top the list of most expensive cities in which to live. Stockholm is in 6th place and Helsingfors/Helsinki follows. Talinn is in 42nd place. To live more cheaply you could move to Kuala Lumpur or Buenos Aires. The US dollar has made New York the European shopper's #1 shopping mecca. London is nearly 25% more expensive for people from the euro countries. Highest gross wages were in Copenhagen and Oslo.

On May 23 there will be a new newspaper when Jakobstads Tidning and Österbottningen become Norra Tidningen - to be called Norran on the Internet.

Hasse
13-04-08, 18:44
...On May 23 there will be a new newspaper when Jakobstads Tidning and Österbottningen become Norra Tidningen - to be called Norran on the Internet...

The proposed name "Norra Tidningen" was given thumbs down by most of the people commenting the decision. As a result of this the final solution will be that the newspaper will be called "Österbottens Tidning", ie. the "Newspaper of Ostrobothnia".

Hasse

June Pelo
13-04-08, 19:55
Hasse,

I agree. I like Österbottens Tidning better than the other name. Is Jens Lillsunde still editor of ÖB? He and I are 4th cousins, plus many other links.

Hasse
14-04-08, 08:21
Hasse,

I agree. I like Österbottens Tidning better than the other name. Is Jens Lillsunde still editor of ÖB? He and I are 4th cousins, plus many other links.
Jens, my 2nd cousin, is still at Österbottningen and is the CEO of the "Norra Österbottens Tidningar Ab" -company.

sune
14-04-08, 10:49
The editor-in-chief of ÖB is Börje Hästbacka, but from May 23rd Henrik Othman of Jakobstads Tidning will be editor-in-chief of Österbottens Tidning.

Personally I think they should have had the courage to call the new paper Österbottningen, because that name is old with traditions and it covers what the paper represents. I am myself born in Jakobstad but I have worked as a reporter at ÖB in the late 1970ies.

Sune