PDA

View Full Version : Bethymen

Kerstin
09-11-03, 16:02
Hello!
When my grandfather emigrated to America in 1902 he went to Bethymen, Westport, Clinton County Pennsylvania.
What is/was Bethymen?

Kerstin

Karen Norwillo
10-11-03, 00:08
Westport, Clinton county, PA. is in central PA not too many hours from where I live, but I find nothing on Bethymen. It looks like a spelling error. I'll keep checking. At first I thought it might be Bethlehem, but I found no connection to that area. What is the name of the person in question? I'll check to see if I can find any clues. Karen

syrene
10-11-03, 03:34
Hi,
Try Bitumen. that's sort of what this word sounds like when pronounced aloud. And it's logical considering that we're talking about a coal mining region.
Regards,
Syrene

Kerstin
10-11-03, 15:46
Hi Karen!

My grandfathers name was August Thölix ( spelled Tholix on the passangerlist) and it is written on the passangerlist that he is going to visit his brother Johannes, who also lived in Bethymen at that time.

Kerstin

June Pelo
10-11-03, 17:54
Here is a website for Bitumen, PA:
http://www.tccweb.org/bitumen.htm

June

Karen Norwillo
10-11-03, 20:06
Thanks, June. I live not too far away and I never heard of that town before. The website is very informative. I'm surprised to find Swede-Finns settling in a predominately Slovak town. Karen

June Pelo
10-11-03, 20:23
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Kerstin
[B]Hi Karen!

My grandfathers name was August Thölix ( spelled Tholix on the passangerlist) and it is written on the passangerlist that he is going to visit his brother Johannes, who also lived in Bethymen at that time.

Kerstin,

I just saw a reference in Norden newspaper to Birger Thölix, retired former editor of Vasabladet newspaper. Nothing more was said about him except that he and Allan Blom have established Labyrinth Books in Nykarleby.

June

Kerstin
12-11-03, 16:01
Hello again!
My grandfathers brother Johannes Tolix emigrated to Westport Pennsylvainia in 1900, my grandfather Agust in 1902 and their sister Vendla in 1903. So there were at least 3 persons by the name of Tolix ( or Tholix) in Westport in the early 20th century. As far as I know, none of them stayed there. They went back to Finland. But Vendla died in America in 1920 because she went back to America together with her husband and daughter.

granskare
06-12-03, 03:52
I have learned how to add an image but it can't be done with an edit so here it is and I am going to delete the old message:)

Bitumen town is situated on the western county line of Clinton County, Pennsylvania. This map is scanned from THE WORLD RE-MAPPED NEW OFFICIAL WORLD ATLAS which date is 1921. The population of Bitumen at the time was given at 700. The post office of the town was in operation from 1888 until 1929.
Chuck