PDA

View Full Version : genealogy.com

CateG
05-05-08, 10:57
anyone who is good at this? I have made a tree there and so on, but if I look for any names in it or even myself, I can´t find a thing!! and it should be online.. Try the names Spåra, Björkvall, Knuts, Gullback, Pensar..

/Cate

Karen Norwillo
05-05-08, 16:26
Cate,
I don't know about yours, but there's a wealth of information on just one name that I tried, Spåra. I found Eklund, Gruenewald etc. I don't know who's tree it is. It is abit hard to navigate that site. Karen

kivinen1
05-05-08, 16:56
anyone who is good at this? I have made a tree there and so on, but if I look for any names in it or even myself, I can´t find a thing!! and it should be online.. Try the names Spåra, Björkvall, Knuts, Gullback, Pensar..

/Cate
Cate - I can't get a thing. I can get a page full of people with the Spåra surname, but by the looks of it, most of the first names appear Italian.

It seems to be a very strange site to navigate. When I clicked on "Gustave" I got nothing (it was the most scandinavian looking first name on the board).

If you click the link at the bottom of the main page that says "Site Index" it allows you to go to the "Online Help Center" - there you can ask questions.

Karen Norwillo
05-05-08, 21:36
I clicked on Anders and it lead me to much information. Most of it seemed to be from someone connected to the Gruenewald side of the family. You're right about alot of Italian sounding names. There are 117 first names about Knuts, 18 about Pensar. There is a family tree about Pensar going back into the 1600's. Alot of the names require payment to obtain the information. Did you join Genealogy.com? You must be registered and a member to view some of the trees. I have an email address for the Pensar person. He lives in Vasa. I'll PM you. Karen

CateG
06-05-08, 10:52
yes, I joined genealogy.com. Where would you recommend to make a tree? it would be nice, if someone is looking for us here in Finland, that they could easily find us..

CateG
06-05-08, 10:55
at least in my tree there are spåra and eklund..hm, have to try again! i will download brother´s keeper, or is there a better free program to use, now I have everything here in different emails and also on papers and other emails..so it is very confusing..

CateG
06-05-08, 14:44
yes, I found out that gruenewald also is found in my "tree"..who has done that tree..that would be interesting!!

Karen Norwillo
06-05-08, 14:56
Cate,
May I suggest getting a few notebooks, one for each family you're researching, and start organizing all the information you now have. I started with all my absolute "knowns" and then began working outward to my ancestors. Many years later, several thick binders and copious notebooks, I'm still adding to my tree. If you let your bits and pieces lay about, you'll lose them or forget where they belong in the scheme of things. I personally bought Roots Magic which I found the easiest to understand and began entering my info. Don't forget to document sources when you have them. Believe me, if you don't organize, you'll forget what you have and what you still need. I tried to work on one family branch at a time. I have a spiral notebook for each year that I keep in a file cabinet by my computer so if I need to go back and look for something, I know where to find it. Good luck. Karen

CateG
06-05-08, 15:09
thank you very much! yes, I have a notebook. Today I´ll check one of the programs and and also put my information together. I just found a john gruenewald on genealogy who has written a lot of eklund stuff there so I wrote to him. now I have to go home from work! =)

kivinen1
06-05-08, 17:34
thank you very much! yes, I have a notebook. Today I´ll check one of the programs and and also put my information together. I just found a john gruenewald on genealogy who has written a lot of eklund stuff there so I wrote to him. now I have to go home from work! =)

Cate - I use the free software that you can download online from the LDS church. Here is the link to the main page.

http://www.lds.org/ldsorg/v/index.jsp?vgnextoid=e419fb40e21cef00VgnVCM1000001f 5e340aRCRD

Once there, you can use the A-Z index and go to G for genealogy, and then you can see what to do next.

These are easily converted to GEDCOM format for submission to TALKO or to any other database.

Good luck -:)

CateG
06-05-08, 18:33
thank you very much! =)