PDA

View Full Version : Blåbärsglass (Blueberry ice cream)

June Pelo
07-06-08, 01:01
Someone sent me this recipe and I hope I deciphered it correctly (from Swedish):

3 eggs
6 tbsp sugar
3/4 c. whipping cream
2 tsp vanilla sugar
1/4 c. fresh blueberries (or more if desired)

Whip the eggs and 6 tbsp sugar together. Whip the whipping cream and vanilla sugar together in a separate bowl. Blend the two mixtures together and fold in the blueberries. Freeze. (I don't know what vanilla sugar is but I would use 1 tsp of vanilla in place of it or omit it because there is sugar with the eggs.) Here in the US we don't usually eat anything containing raw eggs - maybe freezing makes them safer to eat. :(

kivinen1
07-06-08, 19:53
Vanilla sugar is easy to make.

All you need is a vanilla bean and sugar. It is a little nicer if you use the turbino sugar, because the crystals are larger.

Just slice the bean in half lengthwise, and scrape the seeds and moist parts into a jar or canister of sugar that can be sealed tight. Take the remaining empty bean and chop it into pieces. Let it sit for a couple of weeks and the sugar will be imparted with the fine aroma and flavor of the vanilla bean.

We would always bring vanilla sugar and cardamom back from Finland in large quantities. I know that Safeway / Vons has the cardamom, but am not certain if they have the vanilla sugar. We can find it at a local German sausage market.:)