PDA

View Full Version : Lindroos

William Glass
07-06-08, 04:35
Hello,

I am searching for any information on my Grandfather, Otto Bernhard Lindroos. According to immigration/naturalization papers, he was born in Abo.

Father: Gustave Lindroos
Mother: Erika Henriksson
Brothers: Gustave, born 1861
Karl, born 1865
Anton, born 1871
Otto, born 1880
Sister: Victoria

He and his brothers immigrated to Cleveland, Ohio. Otto was in Finland for the last time to build a home for his mother in Vestlax, Kimito in 1909. Any information would be very helpful. Thank you, Bill

Hasse
07-06-08, 10:24
William,

There are people with the name Lindroos both in the village Vestlax and in the surrounding villages. I'll try to ask around a little. I have a near friend who is born in the area and still have his Summer cottage over there. He surely can get the information who would be the best contact to your relatives here in Finland.

William Glass
07-06-08, 21:01
Hasse,

Thank you for your quick response, and I appreciate your efforts to contact individuals who may be of help in providing information about the family.
Thanks, Bill

Kerstin
07-06-08, 21:53
Hello William!

Was your grandfather a sailor from the beginning?

Because there is a Otto Lindroos arravng in New York on the ship Majestic on the 19 of may 1904 and he is born abt 1877 in Finlan and he and another finnish sailor are going to friend Henrik Sjöstrom The finnish seamens mission nr 15 in Broadway New York

He is also coming to New York on the 29 of june 1907 on ss Arabic from Liverpool, He is coming from Kimito and are going to friend O Hardvall in Brooklyn New York

And in 1909 he is coming coming from Copenhagen to New York on the 5 of May on the ship Hellig Olav. He is going to Cleveland Ohio and his nearest relative back in Finland is Erika Lindroos in Kimito. He is going to his brother Gustaf Lindroos in Cleveland. he has been living in Clevland 1907-1908

And this is from the cencus of 1920
Otto Lindroos 38
Hilja Lindroos 29
Irene Lindroos 9
Esther Lindroos 8
Walter Lindroos 1
Otto is a carpenter on ship

And in 1930 it looks like this
Otto Lindros 49
Hilja Lindros 39
Irene Lindros 19
Esther Lindros 18
Walter Lindros 12
Dorothy Lindros 8
Arthur Lindros 5

There is also a WW! draft regristration card for Otto Bernhard Lindros, He is born on the 18 of april 1880 and he lives in Cleveland Ohio ad are married to Hilja Lindros

And in cencus of 1900 there is a Gustav Lindros living in Cleveland
Gustav Lindros 38
Anna Lindros 28
Ansel Lindros 8
Clarence Lindros 6
Jennie Lindros 1
Anton Lindros 22 Brother
Anna and Gustav has been maried for 10 years and Anna Has given birth to 5 children and 3 of them ar living.

In 1910 it Looks like this for Gustaf Lindroos. He´s wiffwe has died and he is living together with his children.
Gustave Lindroos 48
Ansel Lindroos 18
Clarence Lindroos 16
Lilian lindroos 11
Leonard Lindroos 8
Mary Tonseth ( Mary Truste) 28 Housekeeper born in Finland

There is a WW! draft regristration card for Ansel G Lindrose born on the 7 of july 1891 He is married and are working as a foreman on the Rubay Co

He also drafted for the WWII . He was then working on the Parker Uppliner Co

And in 1930 he lived in Lakewood Ohio and was married to Mary A Lindrose

Ohio deaths 1908-1932 1938-1944 and 1958-2002 about Ansel G Lindrose
Name Ansel G Lindrose
Birth dateest 1891
Gender Male
Race White
Residence city Cleveland
Residence County Cuyahoga
Residense state Ohio
Residence country United States
Death date 29 juli 1961
Hospital of death Home
City of death Cleveland
County of death Cuyahoga
Certificate 47471
Age at death 70
certifier Physician
Autopsy Yes, used for certifiction
Marital status Married
Cencus tract 7018

And this is from 1920
Gustave Lindrose 52
Clarence Lindrose 25
Lilian Lindrose 20
Leonard Lindrose 18
Jennie Anderson 14 Adopted
Carl Lindrose 10 Nephew

And this is from 1930 about Clarence Lindrose
Clarence Lindrose 36
Veronica Lindrose 30
Clarence W Lindrose 8
Anna Mainey 70 Mother Birthplace ireland

Ohio Military men1917-1918 about Clarence lindrose
Name Clarence Lindrose
Serial number No Serial number
Race W
Residence 1333 W 69 St Cleveland ohio
Entlistment division National Army
Entlistment location Cleveland Ohio
Entlistment date 21 sept 1917
Birth place Cleveland ohio
Birth date / age 23 3/12 years
Assigns comment 33 Co 158 depot Brigade to discharge private Honorable discharge 20 nov 1917.Physical disability
Volume #10

US World War II draft regristraton cards about Clarence William Lindrose
Birth date 9 juli 1894. Name and address to person who will always know yor address Mrs Lilian Werley 1415 West 85

Social security death index about Clarence William Lindrose
SSN 295-10-6104
Last residence 441 22 Beachwood Cuyahoga ohio United States of America
Born 9 july 1894
Last benefit 44107 Lakewood Cuyahoga Ohio united States of America
Died feb 1977
State (Year) SSN Issued Ohio (Before 1951)

Ohio deaths 1908-1932 1938-1944 and 1958-2002 about Clarence Wiliam Lindrose
Name Clarence Lindrose
Birth date Est 1895
Gender Male
Race White
Residence county Cuyahoga
Residence state Ohio
Residence country USA
Death date 21 feb 1977
Hospital of death Long term care facilities
City of death Cuyahoga County
County of death Cuyahoga
Certificate 009355
Age at death 82
Certifier Physician
Marital status divorced
cencus tract 1939

Ohio deaths about Leonard Lindrose
Name Leonard Lindrose
Birth date est 1902
Birh state Ohio
Race White
Gender Male
Residence city Cleceland
Residence county Cuyahoga
Death date 12 mar 1986
Hospital of death Long term care facilities
City of death North Olmsted
Certificate 017883
Age at death 84
Social security number 295-09-8495
Marital status Widowed
Occupation of decendent Millwrights

Social security death index about Leonard Lindrose
SSN 295-09-8495
Last residence 44111 Cleveland Cuyahoga Ohio United states of America
Born 1 of aug 1901
Died mar 1986
State (Year )SSN Issued Ohio (before 1951)

Carl A Lindrose died in Cleveland Ohio on the 12 of august 1966 at the age of 58, He was never married Certificate 59333

And this is from cencus 1900
Reynhold J Werley 31 Birthplace Ohio
Lilian Werley 31
Gustaw A Luidrose 68 Father in law

And this is from cencus 1910 about Anton Lindrose He is also living in Cleveland
Anton Lindrose 32
Sofia Lindrose 30
Selma Lindrose 5
Edward A Lindrose 3
Carl A Lindrose 2
They have been married to each other for 6 years and Anton is working as a carpenter

In the cencus of 1920 there is a Edward Lindrose living in Montville Geagua Ohio as a hired boy in the family of Alex Jackson. Alex and his wife Funa is from Finland

MVH Kerstin

William Glass
09-06-08, 05:49
Hi, Kerstin!

You really did a thorough search of my family! Thanks so much for taking the time to do the research. My grandfather, Otto Lindroos, later became a carpenter for a large ship builder in Cleveland, Ohio. He died tragically when he was struck by an automobile while crossing a street(1941). I never had the opportunity to know him.

I have been able to find most of the information you provided to me. However, I never knew the names of friends my grandfather had in Brooklyn, New York until you gave them to me. My mother mentioned that years ago she remembered friends visiting them in Cleveland from Brooklyn. Thanks for the info. I will follow up on possible leads.

My biggest problem has been locating records in Finland for Otto. I do not know the parish he was born and raised. So far I have had no luck with Hiski. I looked up the location of your town in Sweden. I see it's a coastal town similar in size to Sandusky, Ohio, my hometown, located on Lake Erie.

Thanks again for your time and effort. Take care. Bill

June Pelo
09-06-08, 21:19
There was a Lindroos family living in Nedervetil.

June Pelo
09-06-08, 21:22
I forgot to say that the Lindroos name was also found in Esse and Terjärv.

Karen Norwillo
09-06-08, 22:11
I don't know if any of these are your family you seek, but these are all the Lindroos found in the 1856-1865 Rippikirja for Åbo. There are 2 Gustav that looked interesting. I include some others because they give place of birth. LDS has Otto Bernhard Lindrose born 18 Apr 1880 in Åbo, Turku Pori, Finland to Gustav Lindrose and Erika Hendricksdotter.
I have to back and crop the data as it's two pages and too big.

Karen Norwillo
09-06-08, 22:23
Here's the images. There's one more that won't fit on this page. Karen

Karen Norwillo
09-06-08, 22:26
Here's the last one. These are from FFHA. Hope this helps. There were about 3 more single entries for Lindroos all born in the 1820's. There is only this one time period on FFHA for Åbo, so it doesn't go as far as Otto's birth. Karen

June Pelo
10-06-08, 01:48
I found out that Lindroos is a common name in Ekenäs in the south of Finland.

Jaska Sarell
10-06-08, 09:53
Lindroos is very common name even today, also among the Finnish speaking population, just like Lindholm, Lindström, Lindberg etc.
Is the native language of the queried people known?

:) Jaska

Hasse
10-06-08, 12:45
The location "Vestlax, Kimito" was mentioned in the first posting which is a avery strong indication that the village Vestlax in current Västanfjärd in "Åbo och Björneborgs län" (Turun ja Porin lääni) is the location where Otto Bernhard came from. I have spoken with people from Västanfjärd and will probably get a contact after the weekend to people who are either closely related to the Lindroos people still living in Vestlax or who know the family and area i question.

Vestlax can be found on Google maps here (http://maps.google.se/maps?hl=en&q=Finland&ie=UTF8&ll=60.078693,22.773843&spn=0.010361,0.031114&z=15). Note that all road names ending with -tie are written in a Finnish language form and the Swedish form ends with -vägen.

Karen Norwillo
10-06-08, 21:42
LDS has a Gustaf Adolf Gustafsson born 16 Dec 1861 in Kemio (Kemito), Turku Pori to Gustaf Lindros and Hedda Erika Henriksdotter.

Karen Norwillo
10-06-08, 22:44
Don't know if you have this, but here's Otto in 1910. Surname grossly misspelled as Lindlowa.

William Glass
11-06-08, 07:26
Hello, Jaska

I am not sure which language he spoke. My grandfather married my grandmother in 1909 in Cleveland, Ohio. She was from Finland, born Hilja Niemi. United States census records indicate that he spoke Swedish, but I have no direct knowledge whether he grew up in a Swedish speaking family. Bill

William Glass
11-06-08, 07:44
Hello, Hasse

I found a misplaced document about the dwelling my grandfather, Otto, had built for his mother. It was actually built in 1904 on Fagerkolla in Vestlax, Kimito. The document I have was dated 1961 and concerned giving the land/building to Miss Evi Elmen for caretaker services. Hopefully, the information will help in locating relatives/information on the Lindroos family. Thanks again for your help. Bill

William Glass
11-06-08, 07:53
Hello, Karen

Looks like you hit the nail on the head with that piece of information! Gustav Adolf, who I assume is the oldest of my grandfather's brothers, was born 16 December, 1861, and his parents are the same as my records indicate. Thanks much for your information on this and other posts. Bill

William Glass
11-06-08, 08:02
Don't know if you have this, but here's Otto in 1910. Surname grossly misspelled as Lindlowa.
Hello, Karen

Yes, I do have a copy of this census image. I actually found it by mistake. The previous census image had listed my grandmother, Hilja (Niemi) Lindroos's aunt, Mary Bast and her family. I decided to see who Mary's neighbors were and that's how I discovered my grandparents in the 1910 census. Thanks, Bill

Hasse
11-06-08, 08:54
Hello, Hasse

I found a misplaced document about the dwelling my grandfather, Otto, had built for his mother. It was actually built in 1904 on Fagerkolla in Vestlax, Kimito. The document I have was dated 1961 and concerned giving the land/building to Miss Evi Elmen for caretaker services. Hopefully, the information will help in locating relatives/information on the Lindroos family. Thanks again for your help. Bill

I'm 100% confident that we will have your family pinpointed as soon as my friend has had the chance to contact his father and neighbors in Västanfjärd and figured out the details.

Hasse

Karl Laxell
25-06-08, 20:18
Hello Bill,

I have discussed with Hasse about your roots and I'm quite sure that Otto was born 1880 in Kimito Vestlax. His father was Gustaf Lindroos born 6.6.1836 in Kimito Östermark and his mother Hedvig Erica Henriksdotter b.24.2.1841 probably in Kimito Vestlax Västergård ?? (I have not yet find her in Hiski). Have you more information about Otto's brothers and sisters ? Do you find in the papers of 1961 the name Selma ?? Lindroos? I have still to check out the registers in Kimito to be quite sure about Otto and his family and how many brothers and sisters he really had.
I have also found a person I think will be relative to you. Marianne Lindroos's grandmother was also from Vestlax Västergård. Marianne will later on be in contact with you. I will send you some more information in the middle of July.Best regards from your grandfather's home willage.
Karl

William Glass
27-06-08, 04:00
Greetings Karl,

My family was so excited to read your message about the Lindroos family in Finland! We have so little information about our Finnish heritage, and those relatives who had some knowledge of the family are long gone. My mother, Ruth, is the last surviving child of Otto. She knew very little about her father because he died when she was very young. When my mother read your message, she cried with joy over the possibility of a living relative in Finland.

My mother remembers hearing about her aunt, Selma Lindroos, who apparently lived with her mother Hedvig in Vestlax. She heard that she never married and that she was a teacher. Later in life she developed crippling arthritis. Evi Elmën, her caretaker, was given the home and property owned by Otto after Selma died.

Here is a list of siblings of Otto(born April 18, 1880)

Gustaf Adolf- born December 16, 1861
Karl?- born 1865?
Anton A.- born November 23, 1876?
Selma- born?
Victoria???

Thanks so much, Karl, for taking the time and effort to research my family. My mother even has a renewed interest in visiting Vestlax. I look forward to hearing from Marianne.

Best regards,
Bill

Karl Laxell
14-07-08, 21:56
Hello Bill!

I back with some new information. Now I'm sure that we have found the right family, when you told about Selma.
Hedvig Erika was from Vestlax Vestergård and her mother was Hedvig Gabrielsdotter b.11.8.1796 Vestlax Westergård and her father Henrik Eriksson b. 19.1.1790 Västanfjärd.
Gustav Lindroos died 6.5.1893 and Hedvig Erika 6.10.1923. Till now I have find 10 children, perhaps 11. But no Victoria. Their cildren:

Gustav Adolf b.16.12.1861
Carl August 3.7.1864 , d.13.1.1900
Hilma Erica 4.1.1867 ,
Anders Wilhelm 4.12.1869,d.25.10.1872
Hedda Charlotta 21.3.1872, d.16.10 1872
Mauritz Wilhelm 16.9.1873, d.20.1.1897
Anton Anselm 23.11.1876, d.22.1.1918
Otto Bernhard 18.3.1880
Lydia Irene 5.2.1883 , d.6.6.1894
Selma Lovisa 9.7.1886 , 29.9.1961 And perhaps a girl born 1865, who died as very young.
Some of Otto´s brothers also went to America, have you any information about them? Hilma Erika went to Särkisalo parish 1883, but I don't now if she got married.
I met by the way Marianne Lindroos (married Grönlund) this week. Marianne´s grandmother was second cousin with Otto. I ask her if she will write to your email- or homeadress.

Best regards
Karl

Greetings Karl,

My family was so excited to read your message about the Lindroos family in Finland! We have so little information about our Finnish heritage, and those relatives who had some knowledge of the family are long gone. My mother, Ruth, is the last surviving child of Otto. She knew very little about her father because he died when she was very young. When my mother read your message, she cried with joy over the possibility of a living relative in Finland.

My mother remembers hearing about her aunt, Selma Lindroos, who apparently lived with her mother Hedvig in Vestlax. She heard that she never married and that she was a teacher. Later in life she developed crippling arthritis. Evi Elmën, her caretaker, was given the home and property owned by Otto after Selma died.

Here is a list of siblings of Otto(born April 18, 1880)

Gustaf Adolf- born December 16, 1861
Karl?- born 1865?
Anton A.- born November 23, 1876?
Selma- born?
Victoria???

Thanks so much, Karl, for taking the time and effort to research my family. My mother even has a renewed interest in visiting Vestlax. I look forward to hearing from Marianne.

Best regards,
Bill