PDA

View Full Version : Warshing clothes recipe

June Pelo
15-06-08, 23:02
'Warshing Clothes Recipe' -- imagine having a recipe for this ! ! !
Years ago an Alabama grandmother gave the new bride the following recipe: This is an exact copy as written and found in an old scrapbook - with spelling errors and all.

WARSHING CLOTHES

Build fire in backyard to heat kettle of rain water. Set tubs so smoke wont blow in eyes if wind is pert. Shave one hole cake of lie soap in boilin water.

Sort things, make 3 piles

1 pile white,

1 pile colored,

1 pile work britches and rags.

To make starch, stir flour in cool water to smooth, then thin down with boiling water.

Take white things, rub dirty spots on board, scrub hard, and boil, then rub colored don't boil just wrench and starch.

Take things out of kettle with broom stick handle, then wrench, and starch.

Hang old rags on fence.

Spread tea towels on grass.

Pore wrench water in flower bed. Scrub porch with hot soapy water.

Turn tubs upside down.

Go put on clean dress, smooth hair with hair combs. Brew cup of tea, sit and rock a spell and count your blessings.

================================================

Paste this over your washer and dryer Next time when you think things are bleak, read it again, kiss that washing machine and dryer, and give thanks. First thing each morning you should run and hug your washer and dryer, also your toilet---those two-holers used to get mighty cold!

For you non-southerners - wrench means, rinse ;)

AND WE THOUGHT WE HAVE IT ROUGH

kivinen1
16-06-08, 03:41
Well June,

Believe it or not, the above recipe is almost identical to the way we got the old family home in Nedervetil together for Midsommar / Juhannus. This was on my first visit to Finland, in 1972, but we did it this way even much later at cousins in Terjärv.

We did all of that, plus washed all of the trasmatta / räsymatto in the creek on a big flat rock with smaller round rocks in our hands.

Then we put everything out to dry, some on trees and some on lines, and the ones we needed to dry very quickly were put into the bastu / sauna. The washing took place a good 1/4 mile from the house.
:eek:

June Pelo
16-06-08, 16:55
Here's a picture of my relatives in the 1930s washing clothes in the Pelo River in Nedervetil.

Karen Norwillo
16-06-08, 18:55
June.
Here's the facilities at the Lampivaara Amethyst Mine 2008. You'd better know before climbing those ??? steps, it got used. But then, I was raised with this as a kid in MI. No indoor bathroom until I was about 10.

kivinen1
16-06-08, 20:12
Here's a picture of my relatives in the 1930s washing clothes in the Pelo River in Nedervetil.

June, Thank you so much for posting that photo.

It is really great.

Which direction is this river? I only can think of the Perho (Perhonjoki).

June Pelo
17-06-08, 03:35
Karen,

At least it has a seat on it. The ones my relatives had in Finland didn't have a seat, but otherwise they looked just like your picture.

June Pelo
17-06-08, 03:37
Well, it probably is the Perho river, but when it flows past Pelo village, it is known as the Pelo river! Do you know where Murick is? Or Tast? Or Slotte?

kivinen1
17-06-08, 21:58
Well, it probably is the Perho river, but when it flows past Pelo village, it is known as the Pelo river! Do you know where Murick is? Or Tast? Or Slotte?
Hi June,

Yes, a doctor friend of mine used to live right there in Murick just off the main highway, kind of kitty corner from a little hand work shop, (just toward Nedervetil from Skriko). That is Perhonjoki, the same river that flows through Kaustby and Vetil.

Now my doctor friend lives closer to Slotte - on the road that goes to Kronoby, on the other side of the main highway.

I say friend, but I think we are related as well.

June Pelo
17-06-08, 22:19
When my father was a boy growing up in Pelo, he used to play along the river by the bridge that crosses from the highway to the village. His cousin built the original bridge. Dad went to school in Murick. When he lived there, Pelo village was the largest in Nedervetil. He lived across the road from Gustafsson's tannery. The house is gone now. My father would have inherited the house but he didn't want to go back to Finland to live, so the house was sold. Wish I knew someone who had old pictures of the houses in the village before 1900.

kivinen1
17-06-08, 22:21
Photograph of Amanita muscaria that I took in Murick.

Besides the brightly colored and large fruiting bodies, there is substantial interest in this mushroom because it is poisonous and hallucinogenic. Most fruiting bodies contain two toxins, ibotenic acid and muscimol. Ingestion of these toxins results in "expanded perception," talking to God, macropsia (perceiving objects as enlarged), rapid heartbeat, dry mouth. They are hallucinogenic and psychoactive, acting on the nervous system as neuropeptide receptors. (For those of your interested in neurobiology, muscimol is a substrate analog for GABA [gamma-amino-butyric acid], and ibotenate is a substrate analog for NMDA [N-methyl-D-aspartic acid]). GABA normally acts as a neurotransmitter and NMDA acts as glutamate receptor responsible for learning in a part of the brain known as the amygdala. The amygdala is the part of the brain responsible for fear. Studies in rats have shown that the inactivation of this area of the brain through the use of muscimol and ibotenate will inhibit fear learning and the startle reflex. Eating the mushrooms effective turn off the fear emotion. [Many thanks to Brad Seebach, the neurobiologist in my department, for help with this section]

These mushrooms were effectively used by the Vikings when they were getting ready to invade a land. The Vikings essentially turned off their fear emotions, thus gaining their reputation for their fierceness. The people of many cultures of northern Europe lived in constant fear of invasion. Vikings would enter a village fearlessly, wreak havoc among the people and carry off the women. Before entering battle, the Vikings would go through a religious ritual in which they would dance around the woods and consume Amanita muscaria. So the main reason the Vikings were able to fight without fear is that they were on drugs! For this reason the Vikings were also known as the berserkers.

There are other cultures that used Amanita muscaria for religious or recreational purposes. The shamans in Siberia used this mushroom, called "mukhomor," to speak to their gods. R. Gordon Wasson wrote a book about this mushrooms (Soma-- the divine mushroom of immortality, 1968, NY, Harcourt Brace Jovanovich) and believed Amanita muscaria to be Soma, which played an important role in Hindu culture and which he believed to have had a marked influence on the development of world religions. Further interesting reading on this would be "The Sacred Mushroom and the Cross: A Study of the Nature and Origins of Christianity within the Fertility Cults of the Ancient Near East". --by John M. Allegro, (1970) Garden City, NY: Doubleday & Co.