PDA

View Full Version : Nikko/Holm/Mattson/Laukkanen/Vimpari/Kokko relatives

rrnikko
18-06-08, 23:09
Searching for info on my grandfathers on both sides of the family. Some info I have come across:
Juho Nikko married Sofia Holm probably in the 1880-1890 period and they had one son Jacob Ilmeri Nikko while living in Finland (not sure where in Finland), the family (3) came to the US probably around 1892 and settled in Thompson Township, Carlton County, Minnesota where they had an additional son, Thomas Walter Nikko who is my father. Juho Nikko died at the young age of 31 in Thompson Township. Sofia went on to remarry and had one addtional son.
Peter Robert Mattson (may have been a Laukkanen prior to coming to the US) arrived in the US around 1900; Mary Fredrika Vimpari arrived in the US around 1907, the two of them married around 1907 and raised a large family in Carlton County, Minnesota. Mary had a daughter prior to coming to the US, Sylvia Elizabeth Kokko who is my mother.
Would really appreciate any info on any of these people prior to their arrival in the US.

June Pelo
19-06-08, 02:04
Welcome to Finlander. The have been previous queries about the Kokko name. Go to the Search function above and type Kokko and search the posts. And the Talko database has many Kokko names. If you have submitted a GedCom and received a password, you'll be able to search the database.

solja
24-10-08, 10:51
Hi,

From the emigrant register of Institute of Migration Finland I found

Wimpari Jaakko Pekanp. 20.09.1907 04.12.1886 Muhos Amerikka

Wimpari Maria Fredrika 20.09.1907 27.01.1884 Muhos Amerikka

Wimpari Sylvi Elisabeth 20.09.1907 19.05.1904 Muhos Amerikka

First date is the passport date, second date is the date of birth.
Home parish was Muhos and the destination "Amerikka" USA.

Sylvi Elisabeth was marked on her mother's passport.
Who was this Jaakko Pekanpoika (=Pekka's son) Wimpari - maybe Maria's younger brother?

I will check if I have more information of these people in my database.

Regards,

-Solja

rrnikko
24-10-08, 16:56
Thanks Solja for the info. Yes, Jaakko Wimpari is Maria's brother, there were 10 children in that family; parents: Pekka (Pehr) Wimpari and Maria Haikio. I appreciate the information and anything else that you might come up with. Maria Wimpari is my grandmother, Sylvi Elisabeth is my mother.
Ron.

solja
27-10-08, 19:42
Did not find these Vimparis from my database.

Pekka Vimpari and Maria Häikiö can be found from Muhos parish records:

http://www.digiarkisto.org/sshy/kirjat/Kirkonkirjat/muhos/rippikirja_1862-1871_mko1-5/119.htm

at the bottom of the page. Only five children mentioned.

Looks like Pekka Vimpari's parents are
Drg Henr: Pehrss: Wimbari Bd: Caisa Lisa Gabr:dr Mustonen (married 27.2.1847)

This was not much, sorry :o

-Solja

rrnikko
28-10-08, 02:24
Solja, thanks again for the information; greatly appreciate your efforts. If I might ask a favor, would you check and see if there is anything on a Kalle Kokko, born 25-1-1874 and died 30-12-1963? He and Maria Wimpari were the parents of Sylvi Elisabeth (Wimpari). They were not married and never did marry. Sylvi was born 19-05-1904 Muhos. Kalle would be my biological grandfather; the only thing I have come up with is his birth date and death date. He must have been from the same area as the Wimpari family. Would be interested in knowing who Kalle's parents and other ancestors were and if he married and had a family. Many thanks, you have been a great help.
Ron.

solja
28-10-08, 21:55
Hello again,

I think I found your Petter Robert Laukkanen:

Surname Laukkanen
First names Petter Robert
Birthdate 18.11.1872
Unmarried
Lutheran
Home parish Kiuruvesi, Kuopion lääni
Passport date 04.03.1902
Passport nr 85
One year passport
To Amerikka

His parents were Matts Erland Laukkanen and Mina Remes from Kiuruvesi, Hautajärvi village.

Kokko is very common name in Finland, especially in Ylikiiminki, the neighbour parish of Muhos. Kalle Kokko could have been from there - but could not find him from the emigrant records.
Only this - but he is from Paavola and the birth year does not match. Paavola is not far away from Muhos. This is not even a good guess, but anyway, I put him here:

Surname Kokko
First names Karl Henrik
Birthdate 25.01.1878
Unmarried
Lutheran
Home parish Paavola, Oulun lääni
Passport date 20.04.1910
Passport nr 602
5 years passport
To Amerikka

Regards,

-Solja

rrnikko
29-10-08, 02:51
Thanks again Solja for the information. That confirms what I had found on the Laukkanen side. As for Kokko (Kalle), I don't think he came to the USA, he stayed in Finland. The dates that I gave you for birth and death are the ones engraved on his gravestone in Finland. I don't know exactlly where the cemetery is, but think it must be in the Oulu area somewhere. From what I can gather, the Kokko/Kokkonen relation is a very large one. I had come across the information on the Kalle Kokko you mentioned, but he is not the right one. Appreciate your efforts.
Ron.

solja
29-10-08, 10:02
OK, I did not realize that Kalle Kokko stayed in Finland. If he died in Muhos I may find his data. I happen to have year 1950 Muhos cencus, a copy of it. If he was not from Muhos, the second best assumption is that he was from Ylikiiminki. I'll come back to the question during the weekend.

-Solja

rrnikko
29-10-08, 18:27
That would be great Solja, many thanks.
Ron.

solja
03-11-08, 12:40
Hi,

Checked the 1950 Muhos Census, no Kalle Kokko. Either from the Muhos parish baptized list Kalle Kokko cannot be found. Checked also the Ylikiiminki sources I have, no luck.

But - found Kalle (Karl) Sigfriedson Kokko, born 24. Jan 1874 in Sotkajärvi, Utajärvi. Could he be the one, what do you think? Utajärvi is the neighbour parish of Muhos. You could send me a private message including all information you have of Kalle Kokko. Any piece of information can be useful to verify the person to be the correct one.

Of course the final proof comes from the Utajärvi parish, if this Kalle Kokko has been deceased on 30th Dec 1963, he is the one we are looking for. Do you have the picture of Kalle Kokko's gravestone or how did you received the information of his death date?

Regards,

-Solja (also born in Utajärvi)