PDA

View Full Version : Rosenqvist Family of Noormarkku Finland

isawilbert
28-06-08, 21:27
My name is Bill Salmi. I live in Pengilly Minnesota, and I am looking for relatives of the Rosenqvist Family. My grandfather was born in Noormarkku on Feb. 11, 1881. His name was Frans Rosenqvist. He came to America in the late 1800/early1900s. He changed his name then to Frank Salmi. He returned to Finnland to marry Sophia Mannelin. I would also like to find some relatives of hers from Noormarkku also. They settled in Virginia Minnesota in the early 1900s. My grandfather had two brothers that came to this country also. I have had contact with both of their familys all of my life. I have read here somewhere that a Herman Rosenqvist had changed his name to Tammi. I am not sure if this is the same Herman Rosenqvist, but my grandfather did have a brother by that name. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Karen Norwillo
29-06-08, 00:51
Bill,
Where in Norrmarkku was your family from. Being part of the Satakunta region, there are at least 13 parishes listed on FFHA. I found 10 Mannelin's on Migration Institute, most of who emigrated in 1905. There are 6 pages of Rosenqvist who emigrated The only Herman I found was a Herman Eemeli Rosenqvist born 23 Jan 1884. He was from Bjornborg and emigrated in 1905. He arrived in the US 21 Jan 1905 on the Campania going to a friend Frank Vesterlund in Rhinelander, MI. By 1917, he was in Kootenai, Idaho. I didn't find anyone named Tammi, first name Herman.
Of all the Mannelin's on Migration, only 3 are listed on the Passport List. Olga Maria 1874, Rosa Josefina 1888 and Saima Hakulina 1892. Those are birth years. They all emigrated in 1905. The other names are Arthur, Arvo, Emma, Juho, Fanny, Martta and Gustaf.
Karen

Karen Norwillo
29-06-08, 01:09
On the emigration lists on Ancestry.com, I found several of the Mannelin's. I am posting those who were going to Virginia, MN. Figured they are probably Sophia's family. You'll notice Saima and Arvo are children, only 11 and 8.
I am also posting the only Herman Rosenqvist I found on Ancestry. It's his WWI Draft Reg.
Karen

Karen Norwillo
29-06-08, 01:23
Here's Olga and Emma and Martta (Martha) Mannelin. All going to MN. Also found Olga's family in the 1910 census. Karen

Karen Norwillo
29-06-08, 01:37
Here's the 1930 census. By now, Emma is married to a Kivisto, Arvid is also married. Strangely, Olga is listed with Emma's family and Manasse is listed below Arvid's. They may all be in the same house, but it looks odd. This is in St Louis county, MN.

Karen Norwillo
29-06-08, 17:10
From the very limited info of Norrmarkku parish on Hiski, I see most Rosenqvist were found in Södermark and Finby village. All Mannelin were in Kläsmark village. There are loads of Rosenqvist in Björnborg/Pori, an adjacent parish. Karen

Kaarina
13-07-08, 20:18
My name is Bill Salmi. I live in Pengilly Minnesota, and I am looking for relatives of the Rosenqvist Family. My grandfather was born in Noormarkku on Feb. 11, 1881. His name was Frans Rosenqvist. He came to America in the late 1800/early1900s. He changed his name then to Frank Salmi. He returned to Finnland to marry Sophia Mannelin. I would also like to find some relatives of hers from Noormarkku also. They settled in Virginia Minnesota in the early 1900s. My grandfather had two brothers that came to this country also. I have had contact with both of their familys all of my life. I have read here somewhere that a Herman Rosenqvist had changed his name to Tammi. I am not sure if this is the same Herman Rosenqvist, but my grandfather did have a brother by that name. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Email to Noormarkku Church office:
noormarkku.taloustoimisto*evl.fi

Kaarina