PDA

View Full Version : translation of frånskilda

Karen Norwillo
28-07-08, 17:15
I need help with the meaning of the word frånskilda as found in a genealogy document It is in reference to a man's first wife. He was married twice and this phrase is found after his first wife's date of birth. Frånskilda 12.8.1974. Can someone help? I see the word skild means divorce. Does this mean date of their divorce? Karen

kivinen1
28-07-08, 19:30
frånskild = divorce
frånskilda = divorced
frånskilden = a divorcee

I'd say it is the date her divorce was final / legal.

Karen Norwillo
28-07-08, 19:47
Thanks so much. I sort of assumed that was it, but you know what they say about assume. Karen

Hasse
28-07-08, 23:26
I need help with the meaning of the word frånskilda as found in a genealogy document It is in reference to a man's first wife. He was married twice and this phrase is found after his first wife's date of birth. Frånskilda 12.8.1974. Can someone help? I see the word skild means divorce. Does this mean date of their divorce? Karen

"Frånskilda" is the plural form of "frånskild" (in some older documents "skild"), in this case simply meaning "they were divorced 12.8.1974". "Divorce" is translated "skilsmässa". The respective translations in Finnish: "eronneet" in plural and "eronnut" in singular, divorce is "avioero".

Hasse

Karen Norwillo
29-07-08, 01:45
Thanks, Hasse. I'm getting better at reading these records, but glad you are all here to help when I need it. Karen