PDA

View Full Version : 權ist / 鶸air farm

budjohnson
12-08-08, 21:16
Does anyone know why the HisKi church records show this farm in Purmo and the Household / Census records show 權ist farm in Ytterjeppo? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Bud

kivinen1
13-08-08, 05:11
sorry error

kivinen1
13-08-08, 05:17
sorry error

kivinen1
13-08-08, 05:19
Bud,

I don't know for sure, but usually that just means that the parish had split at some point. They are next to each other. Do you mean something else?

Nykarleby and Evijärvi or Kortesjärvi split sounds like a language split in the parishes.

June Pelo
13-08-08, 17:53
Bud,

Evidently Jaska is on summer holiday because he hasn't been online lately. He knows a lot about the background of these places. Hopefully he'll be home and checking Finlander mail soon. I recently worked on some research that showed that Ytterjeppo was part of Nykarleby. These places are shown in Nykarleby:
Forsby, Kovjoki, Kyrkoby, Markby, Soklot, Ytterjeppo. Purmo and Jeppo are neighboring parishes of Nykarleby. Ytter means outer, so perhaps parts of Ytterjeppo were included in Purmo in earlier times.

budjohnson
13-08-08, 19:38
Bud,

Evidently Jaska is on summer holiday because he hasn't been online lately. He knows a lot about the background of these places. Hopefully he'll be home and checking Finlander mail soon. I recently worked on some research that showed that Ytterjeppo was part of Nykarleby. These places are shown in Nykarleby:
Forsby, Kovjoki, Kyrkoby, Markby, Soklot, Ytterjeppo. Purmo and Jeppo are neighboring parishes of Nykarleby. Ytter means outer, so perhaps parts of Ytterjeppo were included in Purmo in earlier times.

June
Thanks for that. I should have guessed that they were next to each other because when my grandfather's sister came to America the ships manifest has her listed as from Nykarleby, but she was born on Finnabba farm in OverPurmo and was traveling with a cousin from 權ist farm.
Bud

Jaska Sarell
13-08-08, 19:45
Bud,
Not an expert in this issue, but looking for 權ist situation in the map:
權ist in the center (http://kansalaisen.karttapaikka.fi/karttalinkki/karttalinkki.html?cx=3294543&cy=7039830&scale=200000&tool=siirra&lang=en-GB&clear=true)
It seems to situate in today's Peders顤e very close to the border of Nykarleby (border line shown in green). Few decades ago that has been the border of Purmo and Jeppo.
Earlier the boundaries of church parishes differed here and there a bit from the "earthly" administrative boundaries.
This sounds a plausible explanation in this case.

June,
Staying almost all summer in the country, but sometimes look at the net with very slow cellular connection (also phones work poorly here).

:) Jaska

June Pelo
13-08-08, 22:44
Jaska,

Thanks for the neat map. Someone asked me recently for a map like this and now I can send it. Enjoy the country while you can - cold weather will soon be upon you. :)

budjohnson
14-08-08, 02:25
Jaska
Thanks so very much for the map. It certainly explains a lot. From this I see that Storbacka is nearby also. My great grandmother was on Storbacka farm before her marriage to my great grandfather on Finnabba farm and her step sister married on 權ist farm.
Bud