PDA

View Full Version : Josef Henrik Rosenback

Kaj Granlund
21-08-08, 19:27
Looking for any information about: (This is all I have)

Josef Henrik Wiktorson Rosenback
Born: 26-07-1888 in Dagsmark Lappfjärd Kristinestad Finland
Died: 06-11-1918 France but where???
Cause of death: died during WWI
Resided: 1912 in St Louis MI USA or Hibbing MI
Resided: 1916 in Proctor, VT USA
Father: Viktor Henriksson LILLSJÖ
Mother: Anna Cajsa Gustavsdotter ROSENBACK

He did escape the Russian army to Sweden and further to USA so we do not know when he left Finland but would think that was before 1910, so we have no idea when or which way he left Scandinavia and entered USA. Might have been via Norway.
In a document from 1912 he uses Rosenback but that might just be cause it was needed for the authorities in Finland. So Wiktorson is also possible.

kivinen1
21-08-08, 20:42
Kaj,

Too bad he was killed just 5 days before the end of the war.:(

Karen Norwillo
22-08-08, 21:10
Here are the two manifests for the arrivals in 1906, one to Proctor, VT, the other to Hibbing, MN, as you said. I also found a Viktor Rosenback in VT in the WWI Draft Reg. Maybe a brother?

Karen Norwillo
22-08-08, 21:28
As Josef's father was a Lillsjö, I searched under that name also. I found a 1905 arrival for a Josef Lillsjö and a 1906 for a Viktor Lillsjö with a Janson, going to Proctor, VT. Just a thought. That 1906 Rosenback arrival going to Proctor was going to a Janson.

Karen Norwillo
23-08-08, 03:46
Kaj,
I found a government site that gives a list of all identified WWI dead who are buried in France. I searched all 8, but the one with the highest listing stopped before the letter R. I emailed the site to see if the can look on their list for Josef Rosenback. I did check under Lilljo and Wiktorson/Viktorson also.
I'll keep you updated if I get a reply. Karen

Kaj Granlund
23-08-08, 13:45
wow
You got those right!
Victor is is brother. Didn't know he had a draft card. Interested in him too. Victor was married and had one son, that died just after finishing highschool. I am interested in the wife of Victor too. Her name was Edit and she died in Worchester MA in dec. 1967. But before that she lived in 35 Holt st, Fitchburg MA.
And Josef Henrik did have some contact with a person taht could have used Janson.

Karen Norwillo
23-08-08, 17:50
Here's Victor in 1920 and 1930. Also, Edith Rosenback born 22 Oct 1897 and died Dec 1967 in Worcester, Worcester, MA (SSDI) Unfortunately, the MA Death Index doesn't start until 1970. Looks like son Richard was born abt 1925
He's 5 in 1930. So death would be abt 1943 if he died right out of high school.

Karen Norwillo
23-08-08, 23:45
This looks like Victor Rosenback's arrival 27 Nov 1916 on the Frederik VIII. He was bound for Fitchburg, MA. He's on line 14.
I also found a Mrs Edith Rosenback of Fitchburg listed in the 1930 MA City Directory for Gardner. Listed as clerk for the Childrens Furniture Corp in Gardner.

kivinen1
23-08-08, 23:48
Karen,

Can you please tell me how you are able to capture the images?

When ever I attempt to copy them, I get an error message.

Suggestions? - Thanks, Ilmari

Karen Norwillo
24-08-08, 02:10
Do you have a subscription to Ancestry? I just right click on the 100% image and select "save as" and send them to "my documents" You can't do it with everything, but it works with census records and the WWI Draft Reg Cards.
Karen

kivinen1
24-08-08, 02:14
Thanks Karen.

Karen Norwillo
25-08-08, 16:41
Kaj,
I heard back from the people at that government site. They said he is not among their list of WWI dead buried overseas. If he was killed in France, his body was returned home for burial. This organization has a list of all WWI servicemen KIA and buried on foreign soil.
I also found a naturalization in MN for a Josef Wiktorson Rosenback in Virginia county, MN. This is from the MN Naturalization Index 1854-1957, Vol. 5, Pg. 143, reel 3, code 207. This is from Ancestry.com.

Karen

Kaj Granlund
25-08-08, 17:22
Hello Karen
His body was not returned home to Finland. Cause then he would be burried in the family grave. But his mother(my g grandm) got some money from USA cause of his death. My g-mother had all those documents but after a rebuilding of the house my uncle cannot find them any more.

Karen Norwillo
25-08-08, 17:33
Kaj,
I meant returned to his home in the US, wherever that was.
By the way, even though the Ancestry naturalization is listed Virginia County, MN, I believe it's St Louis County. There is no Virginia County. The town of Virginia is located in St. Louis County, MN.
Also, check the 1920 census for Victor (not Josef as I said in my PM) the line below is an Ida Larson and daughter Edith.

Karen Norwillo
25-08-08, 18:09
Kaj,
Here's your Larson/Holm in 1910 in Fitchburg.

Kaj Granlund
25-08-08, 19:54
Oh so Josef might have returned woonded and died in USA. That might be the reason why we haven't been able to find his grave site in France ;). What would you think - did he return to his departure place or to his brother Victor? Maybe he died in a hospital and was burried there.
And Edith - finally I get some picture of her too. It is hard to believe she was born in USA, cause she writes a perfect swedish still in 1962. Obviously she must have been doing with Swedish speaking people all the life. But still how could she be able to even spell the Swedish words correct if she went to school in USA.

Karen Norwillo
25-08-08, 20:17
Kaj,
It is possible that Josef was killed in France and the body shipped home at the family's request. I just got the records on a cousin who was KIA in France in WWII, interred for 4 years in France and then disinterred and shipped home to MI at his father's request. So it doesn't mean Josef didn't die in France. Maybe Viktor requested his body??? Would seem odd, unless Josef was married here in the states and his wife requested it.

Karen Norwillo
25-08-08, 21:10
Kaj,
I just took a closer look at that 1910 census. Note that Martin Larson, born Sweden, was married twice. Only one year in present marriage. Ida says married once, no children. It would appear Edith is Martin's daughter, not Ida's. I found Ida Holm(es) in the 1900 census, she is single. As Martin was born Swedish, maybe he or his first wife taught Edith Swedish or she attended a Swedish school. I haven't found Martin in 1900 yet.

Karen Norwillo
25-08-08, 21:50
I have someone in Worcester county MA who belongs to RAOGK. She has been very kind in the past. I emailed her and asked if she could look for the marriage license between Victor and Edith. That should show her parents. I caculate between 1923-24 as Richard was born abt 1924-25. Karen

Kaj Granlund
26-08-08, 21:23
I calculate that too. Although Victor according to the census 1920 was living as a roomie in the same house...
It seems strange to me too that Victor that had no education should have been able to pay the costs to bring back the body of Josef. And my grandmother (his sister) always told us he was unmarried. If they had transported the body somewhere it seems it would have been easier and not so expensive to send it to Finland.
And with Edith - she might well be from Martins first marriage. My father says she was from Finland and my uncle she was from Sweden. So either must be wrong!

Karen Norwillo
26-08-08, 22:05
Kaj,
I found an arrival in 1901 for Martin Larson, his first wife Sofia and Edith. They were returning from ?Sweden and going to 56 Goodward St in Fitchburg. Says they were in US, in Fitchburg, before from 1890-1901. This was a 23 Aug 1901 arrival to Boston on SS Commonwealth from Liverpool. So I would guess the S in Edith S is Sofia for her mother. Edith is 3, so she was born in MA. Both Martin and Sofia are 36. Looks like Sofia must have died between 1902 and 1909. Ida and Martin were married 1 year in 1910.

Karen Norwillo
27-08-08, 02:45
That Goodward St must be Goddard St. Couldn't find any Goodward St in Fitchburg. 1910-1920 and 1930 they lived on Goddard St.
On Family Search, LDS, I found Edith Sophie Larson born 22 Oct 1897 Fitchburg, Worcester, MA. Father Martin Larson, mother Sophie Renholm. C010697 film

Karen Norwillo
27-08-08, 18:04
I found Swedish Emigration entry for Martin Larson leaving Göteborg to Fitchburg, MA on 9 Aug 1901. There is an M under travelling companion, but nothing else. They must have sailed from Göteborg to Liverpool and sailed to Boston from there. It does say they originated in Amerika.

Kaj Granlund
27-08-08, 19:50
Wonderful. You are amazing!

Kaj Granlund
11-06-13, 13:38
I now found in my late grandmothers documents a printed document where they say he was Joseph Wilson and that he was in (as it looks to me) Private Coaste Arthillerys Corps (does that bring us closer to what happened to him and where he is burried?

What we know now:
Name in USA: Joseph Wilson
Name in Finland: Josef Henrik Wiktorson Rosenback
naturalization in MN Index 1854-1957, Vol. 5, Pg. 143, reel 3, code 207
Born: 26-07-1888 in Dagsmark Lappfjärd Kristinestad Finland
Died: 06-11-1918 France ( where ?)
Burried :?

Resided: 1912 in St Louis MI USA or Hibbing MI
Resided: 1916 in Proctor, VT USA
Father: Viktor Henriksson LILLSJÖ
Mother: Anna Cajsa Gustavsdotter RO

kathy
13-06-13, 23:21
There is a Hibbing Minnesota (MN) located in St Louis County Minnesota (MN)
Kathy