PDA

View Full Version : Ross

June Pelo
25-08-08, 22:11
I have a request for help finding the ancestors of William Ross, b. ca 1598 in Scotland. I think he was the son of Georg Ross. William moved to Åbo 1528. He was married to Margareta Jakobsdotter Wessel. Did he have a brother George whose son Georg Ross signed the Declaration of Independence? Did William become one of the richest men in Finland?

June Pelo
25-08-08, 22:28
Some additional information: William had a great granddaughter Margareta Forsman, b. 1690, Nykarleby, who married Benedictus Granroth, a clergyman in Ostrobothnia. Margareta's grandfather William Ross, b. 1635 in Vasa, was the mayor of Nykarleby. Was her great gfather William a brother of Andrew Ross (of Balblair) who belonged to the branch of Balmachy? "The Earls of Ross" by Francis Nevile Reid (Edinburg, 1894) doesn't mention William Ross. SoB #10 and #33 have some mention of Granroth.

Steven
26-11-08, 04:17
Hello June! It's been quite a while since I've posted anything here on the forum - I've been spending a lot of time on other family branches lately - but since my interest in exploring the Ross connection has been growing, I thought about checking this forum to see if there were any posts and saw this one! My fmfmm was Maria Henricsdotter Granroth b. 1775 to Henric Gustafsson Granroth and Ann Jacobsdotter. Henric was Benedictus Granroth's grandson.

There are some leads that seem to point to George Ross (b. abt 1560) as being one of the Balnagowan Ross clan from the Scottish Highlands. I've seen several records that list George's father as Hugh Ross; if so, it is possible that our William Ross is a descendant of the Ross Earls of Balnagowan, which may be descendants of some of the viking rulers of the 9th and 10 centuries. I don't think he was a brother of Andrew Ross. Another possibility - the one I have been following - was that George Ross was from Kindeis (or Kindels) in the Ross and Cromarty district. His father, Hugh, was born abt. 1526 to Ninian Ross and Elisabeth Ruthwen. Ninian's line goes back to Godfrey Ross, sheriff of Ayr, born abt. 1300, while the Ruthwen family seems to also go back to the vikings! Either way, there seems to be little doubt that we'll find some quite interesting people!

Steve

June Pelo
26-11-08, 21:59
Hi Steven,

Have you had any contact with Vincent Erickson about Ross? He seems to have a lot of info. Recently I put him in contact with someone in Finland who was also searching for info. about Ross. I think it was Tom Sundius. As for Georg Ross, I have the following about him - he was the son of Hugh Ross, b. ca 1532, married to Katherine Macleod. Hugh was the son of Walter of Balmachy, and Walter was the son of Donald of Balmachy.

Georg of Balmachy. Owned Kindeis in Scotland 1560. Took part in rebellion against King James VI Stuart in 1591with his relative Lord Robert Ross. He was youngest son and inherited the property of Kidneys ca 1560. This property always went to the youngest son in the family. Moved to Stockholm 1617 and took son William, b. 1598. CA 1620 William moved to Åbo to work for merchant Jacob Woollen. Had a son Andrew.

Here is a bit more: http://www.kolumbus.fi/bjorn.corander/anor/svardsida/index.html

I was also told:
In Annual Book (?) XXXVII 1957-1959 published by The Genealogical Society in Finland, page 90 ff is given the following on William's roots:

Father: George Ross. Owned Kindeis from 1560. Likely to have participated in the rebellion against Jacob VI in 1591. Borrowed much money and when he could not repay he had in 1617 to leave his fathersland. He moved probably to Scandinavia or Germany.

Grandfather: Hugh Ross.

About William is said that he worked for merchant Jacob Wolle (the older) in Turku/Åbo before 1628.

There is also a picture of the arms which Williams ssss Herman Ross used when he was enobled in 1819. It shows three walking lions.

There is also a reference to an article on Ross by Karl Hedman in number V of the same series. It appears that he also has an article in number 7 and that there is an article in number 1 by A. R. Cederberg.

I also received this information:
Clan Ross may have some help for you. The Clan Ross genealogist's name is Fran Bumann. Her email is fbumann*earthlink.net. She is very helpful and would have information you need, or point you to someone who would.

June Pelo
26-11-08, 22:07
Steven,

I forgot to mention that Maria Henriksdotter Granroth married Anders Johansson Rif - Rif was part of my mother's mother's family, so I am some kind of a cousin to Maria and Anders. Maria and Anders had 13 children and as near as I can determine, only 1 survived: daughter Lisa, b. 1792.

Steven
30-11-08, 02:00
Hi June!

Oh dear, I hope you aren't going chop the biggest limb off of my tree! Well, let's see here; my fm fm was Maria Lena Andersdotter, born in Pedersore 4 Oct. 1804, d. Lassfolk, 7 Dec. 1881, married 30 Apr. 1826 to Jonas Jonasson Lassfolk (this from family records, the focus being on the Lassfolk (Kylanpaa) family going back to Anders Pehrsson b. 1690-1). According to Hiski (rec. # 6020985), the only Maria Lena Andersdotter born on that date (or even year, I think) in Pedersore was the daughter of Anders Johansson Rijf and Maria Henricsdotter Granroth. And, interestingly enough, I have 14 children for Anders and Maria - maybe you're missing mine (I hope!).

Thanks for the info about Ross! I have checked out a bunch of Scottish sites and Clan Ross sites - very fascinating, but they can really spin anyone's head around. I have also looked at the www.columbus.fi/bjorn link, which I ran across a week or so ago. There seems to be a few stumbling blocks with the rootsweb link on his site - Walter apparently died in 1528, well before Hugh was born, for starters.
I'll try to connect with Fran Bumann at the email address you mention. You wouldn't happen to have one for Vincent Eriksson, would you?

Steven

June Pelo
30-11-08, 18:44
Steve,

I think we're talking about 2 different Maja Lena's. The one you mentioned who was born to Rijf and Granroth was born 6 Oct 1804 and she died 13 Dec 1804. The Maria Lena born 4 Oct 1804 in Östensö, Pedersöre, was born to Anders Mattsson Tarvos and his wife Maja Lisa Mattsdotter Kif. Can you access the Talko database? All the data is there. Jaska has more info. about these people than I do. Jonas Lassfolk and Maja Lena had 15 children and Jaska has listed them all on Talko. Which one was your ancestor?

I'll send you Vincent's address via PM. I'm not related to Ross, but somehow I seem to be a go-between among people searching for data.. :)

Steven
30-11-08, 20:01
Hi June!

Uh-oh! Well, I am running on an old i-mac v. 9.2 and am unable to generate gedcom files, so my understanding is that I do not have access to TALKO. In any case, it looks like Hiski is off on this one by a couple of days - I know that isn't all that unusual. There usually are some mistakes with transcription. Still, it's alot easier that with originals. I've been looking up a lot of records from digitalarvet.no, which has put images of a lot of church records from Norway online. It's great, but staying on too long really gives you a headache!
Oh well...won't be spending much time on any Ross research in the near future.....

My farmor was Anna Jakobsdotter b. 31 Dec. 1872 in Lassfolk to Jakob Jonasson Lassfolk, b. 20 Dec. 1835, and Johanna Johansdotter Sandnabba, b. 23 Apr. 1836 in Sandnabba. (I've gotten most of my info on Johanna's line through A. With's Slakten With with a few enhancement from Hiski)

Steven

Steven
30-11-08, 20:02
Hi June!

Uh-oh! Well, I am running on an old i-mac v. 9.2 and am unable to generate gedcom files, so my understanding is that I do not have access to TALKO. In any case, it looks like Hiski is off on this one by a couple of days - I know that isn't all that unusual. There usually are some mistakes with transcription. Still, it's alot easier that with originals. I've been looking up a lot of records from digitalarvet.no, which has put images of a lot of church records from Norway online. It's great, but staying on too long really gives you a headache!
Oh well...won't be spending much time on any Ross research in the near future.....

My farmor was Anna Jakobsdotter b. 31 Dec. 1872 in Lassfolk to Jakob Jonasson Lassfolk, b. 20 Dec. 1835, and Johanna Johansdotter Sandnabba, b. 23 Apr. 1836 in Sandnabba. (I've gotten most of my info on Johanna's line through A. With's Slakten With with a few enhancements from Hiski)

Steven

Steven
30-11-08, 20:06
Oops! Sorry about that - I think I just duplicated a post! Not sure how it happened.

Steven

kivinen1
30-11-08, 23:56
Hi Steven, I too, am in Vancouver.

HisKi date differences are usually the difference between birth and christening.

I'll look to see if I can find anything.

Did you grow up in Clark County?

bert
09-03-09, 21:39
http://www.granroth.fi/granroth.htm
Here´s a link to Granroth släkt site
Bert

Elvstrom
04-09-09, 20:02
Hello, I have 1200 names on myheritage.com with ancestors and decendants of Ross. If all of it is correct then through Katherine MacLeod, married to Williams grandfather Hugh, it goes to many kings and queens as one ancestor is Yaroslav I of Kiev from where it is possible to go down to the King of Sweden, among others.

Request a membership if you are interested.

June Pelo
04-09-09, 23:13
From time to time there have been queries about Ross and I used to have the names and addresses of inquirers, but didn't save them. Nothing much has happened along that line lately. Several interested people didn't belong to Finlander Forum..