PDA

View Full Version : Need translations

June Pelo
14-11-03, 22:51
Can someone tell me what the two following are:

sjöbevakare - is it similar to our Coast Guard?

vapenunderofficer vid Nylands täcktruppsbataljon?

Thanks,

June

Alf Blomqvist
15-11-03, 19:34
Originally posted by June Pelo
sjöbevakare - is it similar to our Coast Guard?
- yes/ja

vapenunderofficer vid Nylands täcktruppsbataljon?
- officer = officer

June Pelo
15-11-03, 22:02
Thanks, Alf. I looked through my letters from Birger to see if he had told me what he did during the war. But all I knew was that he was some kind of a weapons officer in one of Nyland's battalions.

June

Alf Blomqvist
16-11-03, 11:48
weapons officer

I want to add that underofficer is a "lower" officer. When I was in the army (1968) they where: fältväbel, sergeant, undersergeant, korpral

June Pelo
16-11-03, 18:36
Thanks, Alf. Do you know what täcktrupps means? I can't find it in any dictionary.

June

Alf Blomqvist
16-11-03, 18:54
täcktrupps means?

Sorry, I have no idea.

Täcke/täcka = cover (bed quilt...

Alf

Sten-H.Schmidt
16-11-03, 23:13
Originally posted by Alf Blomqvist
Sorry, I have no idea.

Täcke/täcka = cover (bed quilt...

Alf
A guess.
Not beeing a military expert I think täcktrupp is a unit with defence responsibility or rather guarding duty for a certain named area. In this case it seems to be Nyland.

June Pelo
17-11-03, 00:50
Thanks to everyone for your help. If I ever find out the true meaning, I'll let you know. :)

June

sune
17-11-03, 18:33
Hi June

The "lower officers" Alf mentions would be non-commissioned officers in English, e.g. sergeant, master sergeant, sergeant major.

Sune

June Pelo
17-11-03, 19:14
Someone told me that täcktruppsbataljon could refer to rear guard troop battalion. So I'll accept that. I don't know of any military experts in the Finnish army..

June

kpaavola
17-11-03, 19:21
June, I seem to recall Kari Talvitie on Finngen was well versed in Finnish military things. Maybe a posting on Finngen would help.

June Pelo
17-11-03, 20:40
Thanks, Kevin. I'll give it a try. I just remembered that Kalevi Kiesi is also knowledgeable about military matters.

June

June Pelo
19-11-03, 01:55
I said I'd let you know if I received a translation and I did. Here's what Kalevi wrote:

Your relative was a warrant officer or non-commissioned officer who repaired and maintained ammunitions and weapons and worked
in battalion weapon workshop or storage. The täcktrupp means a protection troop. In our doctrine during WWII the first attack was
defended starting from borders by frontier guard troops (battalions and separate companies) and by protection troops, which meant regular troops by constant professional officers and non-commissioned officers (cadres)and soldiers were constcripts serving their national service.
The main army was mobilized by calling in service reservists as well officers, non-commissioned officers as common soldiers. In main army also the highest officers were professional officers trained in the Military Academy Kadettskolan)and the War College (Militärhögskolan). In regular army also non-commisioned officers were trained a special military school after their national service period which included also reserv officer and reserv underofficer schools.

What I could find in the internet was that in the Winter War Nylands täcktruppbataljon took part eg. in very heavy battles in Summa frontier in the Istmus of Karelia in February 1940. The only uncle of my wife died there Feb 13, he was a "undersergeant" in Nylands Dragon Regiment(URR), a cousin of my father also died there as an infantry soldier in the same day... Maybe your relative was at the same time in the same place?

June