PDA

View Full Version : Sveaborg Lodge #22 in Seattle

Karen Norwillo
10-09-08, 22:46
Does anyone know where I might find who has the old records of this lodge?
I am looking still for my great-aunt Thilda Andersdotter Långsjö. I found her name on a 1906 membership roster as Thilda Anderson from Esse, Finland.
I thought maybe they would have more info about their members. I have a date of death, 10 Feb 1912, but not where this occured. I know this is a "long shot," but I've tried everything. She was headed for Seattle on her ships manifest. None of the living family know what happened to her. Karen

June Pelo
10-09-08, 23:02
Karen,

SFHS retains records of Runeberg Lodges. I don't know if Sveaborg was a Runeberg Lodge, but if Syrene is reading Finlander mail, perhaps she would know who you could contact.

kivinen1
11-09-08, 20:27
Karen,

I know this isn't what you were looking for, but wanted to show you that "maybe" there is a connection with this man below... her father? brother? uncle?

Just pointing out the anglicized version of the name.

LANGSEA, PETER -- Age 59, born in Finland. Died Sept. 4, 1911, St. Joseph Hospital, Tacoma, Wash. Cause of death: volvulus of intestine. Widowed. Wood turner. Informant: Victor Langsea, Tacoma, Wash. Burial Sept. 7, 1911, Tacoma Cemetery, Tacoma, Wash.

kivinen1
11-09-08, 21:30
Karen,

By the way, IF you're interested in the name above, there are still folks in the area that go by that name. I could send you a link.

Karen Norwillo
11-09-08, 21:57
Thank you. I have all the information on the Langsea/Långsjö branch of the family in WA and have been in touch with living relatives there. Petter Johansson Langsea/Långsjö was Thilda's and my grandmothers uncle, brother to their father Anders. Karen

Hasse
13-09-08, 17:39
Does anyone know where I might find who has the old records of this lodge?
I am looking still for my great-aunt Thilda Andersdotter Långsjö. I found her name on a 1906 membership roster as Thilda Anderson from Esse, Finland.
I thought maybe they would have more info about their members. I have a date of death, 10 Feb 1912, but not where this occured. I know this is a "long shot," but I've tried everything. She was headed for Seattle on her ships manifest. None of the living family know what happened to her. Karen
On SFHS' pages we have one listing from this lodge. The article is within th e "Delphi" -collection and I linked the article to the SFHS web site here.
(http://sfhs.eget.net/portal/index.php?option=com_wrapper&Itemid=75)
Is this your Thilda?

Anderson, Thilda 15-Dec-07 Esse, Finland

Hasse

Karen Norwillo
13-09-08, 19:51
Hasse,
Yes. That's the entry I thought might be her. I don't know what the date means, maybe when her membership would expire?? The list is from 1906.
Her other sister Maria Sofia used Anderson in MI, the other two sisters used Langsjo. Three of them settled in the UP of MI, so I could never figure why Thilda went to Seattle, except her uncle and his family were there.
Karen

budjohnson
14-09-08, 16:47
Karen

Actually I found the marriage of Tilda and Maria Sofia's sister Lena. In her marriage to Thomas Smithson she was also using the name Anderson in 1908.

Bud

Karen Norwillo
14-09-08, 18:17
Hi Cousin Bud,
Yes, I guess that Långsjö name was too hard to pronounce. On my grandma's license, they wrote it as Longshore and the Seattle branch changed it to Langsea. I'm not too sure she got an easier one when she married my grandpa. I got real tired of people "butchering" my name as a kid. Sulasalmi isn't that hard. I think it scared people. Karen

budjohnson
15-09-08, 20:25
Hi Cousin Karen

If I had not found you on Finlander Forum I may be still looking for Mary / Marie Anderson. The only clue I started out with was the cemetary record which had her father listed as Anders Longshore. My mother knew how it was pronounced in Swedish, but probably didn't know how it should have been spelled.
The only clear documention I found later was the Lodge 13 record in Escanaba had her patronym in Finland as Andersdotter and her Surname in Finland as Långsjo

Bud

Karen Norwillo
15-09-08, 21:33
From what I have learned, Sveaborg Lodge #22 was a part of Svenska-Finska Nykterhetsförbundet av Amerika. From a reply to a query, there was no independent lodge #22 registered in Seattle . I'll try pursuing that trail.

Karen Norwillo
17-09-08, 18:40
I believe my cousin Bud has found my great-aunt Thilda. He found a matching death date in Seattle for a Tilda Fiske. She died 10 Feb 1912 at 32 years 5 mos and 7 days. This works out to her birth date of 3 Sep 1880. Father, Andrus Langgos, close enough to Långsjö.
On the 1910 census for Seattle, there is a George and Tilda Fiske, married 1 year, she's from Finland, speaks Swedish. He's from Norway. Her date of emigration is off, but that doesn't mean too much. I am sending for her death certificate from WA. Hooray! Maybe that brick wall has finally come down.
Karen

Karen Norwillo
26-09-08, 18:19
My great-aunt has finally been found. I received her death record today from WA. She died 10 Feb 1912 in the Swedish Hospital in Seattle. She is buried in Mt Pleasant Cemetery in Seattle. There is also another grave there for stillborn twins, a boy and a girl, born and died 2 Apr 1911. Informant on death record was Edward Fiske. So it looks like her husband's name was Edward George or George Edward Fiske. Notation under the babies reads "These two babies were stillborn to Edward and Tilda Anderson Fiske who were born in Finland." The 1910 census says he was from Norway. Tilda's cause of death was Chronic Endocarditis.
So the brick wall is finally down after 8 years of searching. Karen

June Pelo
26-09-08, 21:24
Good job, Karen. I can imagine what a relief it is to finally make a break-through.