PDA

View Full Version : looking for Jaakko (Jacob) Rajala (Kauhajoki? Jurva?)

rajala
15-09-08, 01:50
I'm looking for information on my great grandfathers family. Jaakko (Jacob) Rajala born 1870 in Finland. I think he may have been born or lived in Kauhajoki or maybe Jurva. Jaakko had a brother Heikki Rajala who immigrated to the U.S., settled in Minnesota and changed his name to Henry Johnson. Not sure what year
Jaakko married Johanna Hietamaki b:1959 in Finland I think. They had 2 sons Herman b:1896 and Johan b:1900 born in Finland,had more children in the USA.
They immigrate to the USA Ishpeming Michigan in 1901.
any info or leads please contact me at poyaa*hotmail.com
thanks Randy

Kerstin
15-09-08, 10:42
Hello!

This is from the cencus of 1910
The family lives in Covington; Baraga Michigan
Jacob Rajala 39 Farmer
Johanna E Rajala 40
Herman Rajala 12
John Rajala 10
Martha Rajala 5
Hilma Rajala 4
Henry Rajala 2
Wilja Rajala 4/12

And in 1920 cencus it looks like this
Jacob Rajala 49
Johanna E Rajala 50
Herman Rajala 22
John Rajala 20
Martha Rajala 15
Hilma Rajala 13
Henry Rajala 12
William Rajala 10
Hilda Rajala 8

In the cencus of 1930 it looks like this
Jacob Rajala 59
Johanna E Rajala 60
Henry Rajala 22
William Rajala 20
Hilda Rajala 18
Wilho Rajala 11

There is a Family tree on Ancestry for Herman Rajala. Itīs the Saari-Schreck family tree., and it says that he was born on the 6 of feb 1897 in Finland and died on the 2 of july 1972 in Watton, Baraga, Michigan. His parents were Jacob Rajala and Johanna Hietamaki. He was married to Jenny Amalia Saari born on the 19 of february 1904 in Alavus Finland. She died in Watton Baraga Michigan on the 15 of April 1987. They got 2 children, one of them still living. The other one was Arne Fredrik Rajala born on the 4 of dec 1922. He died in Watton Baraga Michigan on the 20 of june 2005. He was married to Elsie Alexandra Sarrinen. Their children are Gail Ann Rajala, Gary Fredrick Rajala, Melvin William Rajala and Sandra Jean Rajala

In the cencus of 1930 it says that the other childs name is Robert E Rajala and that he is born abt 1925

Here is Arne Fredriks obituary from the Mining Journal, Marquette Michigan the 23 of jun 2005
Arne F Rajala
Marquette- Arne F Rajala 82, of Watton, died Monday evening June 20 2005 at the DJ Jacobetti home for Veterans in Marquette
Arne was born December 4, 1922, in Watton , a son of the late Herman and Jenny (Saari) Rajala and was raised there. He was a WWII veteran, having served in the army in ETO from june 1943 to New Years of 1946 and earned the CIB and Bronze Star.

ON Mars 21, 1947 he married the former Elsie Alexandra Sarrinen in Hancock Michigan and she preceded him in death on June 18,1992.

Arne worked as a self-employed logger/trucker driver before taking a job at the Cliff Shaft in Ishpeming and then with the White Pine Copper Mine where he retired in 1983 after 24 years of employment.

Arne was a resident of Wakefield for 19 years before returning to his hmetown of Watton. He was a charter member of the Covington VFW, henry Henrickson Post 8945

He was survived by his children, Gary (Sandy) Rajala of Marquette;Sandy (Al) DīErrico of Billerica, Mass;Melvin (Sherry) Rajala of Wakefield and Gail rajala of Tampa Fl;Robert (Edith) Rajala of Watton; 6 grandchildren and 2great-grandchildren

A memorial service will be held at a later date

The Jacobson Funeral Home is assisting

Mr Rajala`s obituary may also be viewed at www.jacobsonfuneralhome.com

Kerstin

Kerstin
15-09-08, 11:16
In the cencus of 1930 there is a John Rajala living in Ishpeming Michigan. He+s married to Marie A Rajala born abt 1904. They got the son Ernest J Rajala 5.

Kerstin

rajala
15-09-08, 18:24
My mistake. I know all the USA information What I', looking for is information from finland about Jaakko and Johanna and his parents and siblings. any help there would be great.
Thanks to all for the quick and acurate response.
Randy

June Pelo
15-09-08, 20:54
Birth records for Jurva and Kauhajoki are online only up to 1850. You may have to write to the church for anyone born in 1870.

kivinen1
15-09-08, 22:45
Hi,

If you're successful re: the Jurva Church, I'd be interested in a name or email contact.

My Mother's Father's side was from there, and I only have one document that was created in 1900 from the Dioecess Aboensis wherein they "certify" that my great-grandfather was born at Jurva (in 1864)... I assume this was originally acquired in order for my great-grandfather to become a US citizen.

I've never been able to find more.

June Pelo
16-09-08, 00:07
Here's the address for Jurva parish church:
http://www.evl.fi/sertika/perus/jurvanseurakunta_fi.htm

kivinen1
16-09-08, 19:26
June, Thank you.:)