PDA

View Full Version : Name verification

kpaavola
16-11-03, 04:55
While searching the Pyhäjoki parish film records today, I ran across a couple of names I'm not sure of. The handwriting was very much old style and somewhat difficult to read. Would someone verify/correct these 3 family names?

Korppila, also spelled Korpilla

Hutälas, could also be Kutälas or Kiitälas

Eiviläs

Korppila is the only one that is somewhat familiar but I thought it was spelled with one p and one l. The first letter of the first two names were very difficult to decipher. The last one just doesn't look right at all. Could someone tell me what the probable names should be?

Thanks,

Jouni Kaleva
16-11-03, 10:02
Originally posted by kpaavola
While searching the Pyhäjoki parish film records today, I ran across a couple of names I'm not sure of. The handwriting was very much old style and somewhat difficult to read. Would someone verify/correct these 3 family names?

Hi

I´m no expert with Pyhäjoki names. Anyhow Korppila sem the correct present day form. It has been a cusstom to only use one p for Korpila and somtimes two l´s for Korpilla. Still it signifies the same. (Korppi = craven)

Eivilä might be Elsilä.

Hutäla etc. beats me ;-))

syrene
16-11-03, 17:42
Hi, Is Korppi a raven or a crow?
Syrene

Gita Wiklund
16-11-03, 18:56
Syrene,

Korppi (in swedish=Korp) is a raven.

Jouni Kaleva
17-11-03, 19:41
Hi

Sorry about my misspelling up there (craven)! Sticky fingers ;-))
Crow = varis in Finnish.

kpaavola
22-11-03, 21:41
I had an opportunity to revisit the films and found the Korppila name spelled as "Korppila".

The Hutälas/Kutälas/Kiitälas name I found more entries and it appeared as Huchtala and Huhtula, so I'm ok with that name. One question though. I noticed the 1st "u" had an accent mark looking like a skinny question mark "?" without the dot. I know there is a "ü" but is it used in Finnish/Swedish?

The last name I'm still having problems with. I found 5 more occurances of the name Eisiläs. At least that's what it seemed. The first letter could have possibly been a "C". There was another last name of "Cuoto" on the same page and the 1st letters looked identical. I've seen Luoto in Liminka but it definitely wasn't an L. The "s" didn't resemble the letter "f" like I usually see, it was a small letter, so I still am baffled by that letter. n? v? Eisilä, Einilä??

I have Elsilä/å in my files from Liminka but the 2nd letter had a dot so I don't think it's an "l".

Would a scanned image of a record help?

Jouni Kaleva
23-11-03, 17:05
Originally posted by kpaavola

Would a scanned image of a record help?

Hi Kevin

It just might! Let´s give it a try.

Jouni