PDA

View Full Version : Paul Ohman, born 1897, emigrated to U.S.

lamadahu
20-09-08, 09:40
Hi, I just learned that a relative of my grandfather, Hjalmar Ohman, (don't know the exact relation yet) emigrated to the U.S.

His name is Paul Ohman, and he was born in 1897. At the moment, that's all I know. Does anyone have any information about him and his descendants?

Thanks!
Laura

Karen Norwillo
20-09-08, 17:33
Laura,
There are many entries for a Paul Ohman, Paul E Ohman and Paul Eskit Ohman, all who appear to be the same man, I found on many ships manifests arriving to various ports from 1916-1920 on Ancestry. He was a single seaman, at least on the records I found so far. Born 23 Mar 1897 in Pasgas, ? Pargas, Finland. Father Påhl K Ohman of Pasgas, Finland. He is in Brooklyn, NY in 1918 for the WWI Draft Registration. This doesn't mean he served, just that he registered as was required. That's all so far. If this is your Paul, Påhl, Ohman, I will search more. I see Pargas is a town near the sea which might explain him being a sailor.
Karen

lamadahu
20-09-08, 19:36
Hi, Karen, thanks!

I saw those listings, but not being a paying member at Ancestry.com, I can't view them. :(

I know nothing about him, just that he's a distant cousin of my grandfather. (Can't seem to find anyone closer that has emigrated to the States.) I may try a post about my great-grandfather, and perhaps one of his grandchildren emigrated...who knows?

Thanks again,
Laura

Karen Norwillo
20-09-08, 23:06
Here's the 1916 manifest for that Paul Ohman from Pargas. I find no other trace of him except his WWI Draft Reg and those multiple manifests as a sailor. This is the only one that has his Finland info on. You'll notice his destination at this time was New Orleans.

harrysme
21-09-08, 08:50
There is a book about emiration from Korpo to Amerika. It seems to be for sale in internet bookshops.

http://www.abebooks.com/products/isbn/9789519266060/Widen-Bill/Korpobor-I-Amerika/

Korpo was the original home of Ohman family.

Harry

RuneM
12-10-08, 22:49
There is a book about emiration from Korpo to Amerika. It seems to be for sale in internet bookshops.

http://www.abebooks.com/products/isbn/9789519266060/Widen-Bill/Korpobor-I-Amerika/

Korpo was the original home of Ohman family.

Harry

Hi again Laura and Harry :)
Laura, I intended to send you the paper about Paul Eskil but I didn’t reached :D
In Korpobor i Amerika there is only one Öhman listed:
Erna Viola Gunlög, born 1922 and daugter to the pilot Viktor Adolf Öhman
She married a seaman and they moved about 1950 to Canada
Bill Vidén also mentions that there are not so many emigrants from this part of Korpo (the south)
But The Öhmans were sailors, they moved to Nagu, Pargas Houtskär and even longer
A search in the records of Ellis Island for Ohman from Finland or Russia gives a lot of hits, most of them are belonging to the crew, it was this way I first found your grandfather.
Rune

Fol
21-03-11, 21:10
Hi, I just learned that a relative of my grandfather, Hjalmar Ohman, (don't know the exact relation yet) emigrated to the U.S.

His name is Paul Ohman, and he was born in 1897. At the moment, that's all I know. Does anyone have any information about him and his descendants?

Thanks!
Laura

Read Your question about Paul Ohman and I could maybe help You, but more interesting is that Yor grandfather must be the oldest brother of my grandfather Georg! His brother Hjalmar emigrated to USA and as far as I know he also visited his native country sometimes. Would be interesting if You are my relative?
Folke

Hasse
21-03-11, 22:08
I decided to do a quick checking in the Talko database and it seems like your grandfathers are there. Perhaps the attached pictures will help you?

Fol
22-03-11, 21:43
I decided to do a quick checking in the Talko database and it seems like your grandfathers are there. Perhaps the attached pictures will help you?

Yes, there they are the four brothers. They had many sisters too so that there must be many, many relatives on the islands of south Nagu and Korpo and even in the U.S. as I have learned now:).

Folke

lamadahu
23-03-11, 06:17
Folke...of all the siblings, I believe only Hjalmar emigrated to the U.S. I am in contact with some other cousins. One is Ingela Ollas, and she is a translator for the University (at Abo/Turku I think). As well as Rune Mattson in Sweden and Bosse Ohman in Finland. They are both on Facebook. If you are on Facebook too, please connect with us there.

Laura Hudson

RuneM
23-03-11, 06:35
Yes, there they are the four brothers. They had many sisters too so that there must be many, many relatives on the islands of south Nagu and Korpo and even in the U.S. as I have learned now:).

Folke
I have counted to about 100 second cousins around the world after their parents :)

Rune

RuneM
24-03-11, 06:35
I have counted to about 100 second cousins around the world after their parents :)

Rune
Correction:
Johannes Severin & Mathilda got 9 children, 48 grandchildren but “only” about 70 great grandchildren

harrysme
04-04-11, 20:04
I answered to this thread once, but did not realize then that I have Paul Ohman b 1897 is in my database and Hjalmar too. Hasse seems to have sent a copy of my database, which I have copied mainly from Ben-Erik Pahlman. Paul in a second cousin of my father´s and Hjalmar third cousin. You may have allready better connections than me, but I will try to help, if I can. I would be pleased to get information of their decendants. The families of my half-brother and my uncle live in USA too.

Regards, Harry