PDA

View Full Version : Johan Erik Eklöf

Kuhlberg
23-09-08, 19:08
Hej!

Jag söker information om min mormors bror Johan Erik Eklöf, född 16.3.1886 i Maxmo, Kerklax. Han emigrerade till "Amirika" alldeles i början av 1900-talet varefter hans vidare öden är okända. Det exakta datumet för hans avresa känner jag inte till, men det är möjligt att han är identisk med den person Johan Eklof, som anlände 7 september 1901 till Ellis Island med fartyget Philadelphia. Avgångshamnen i Europa var Southampton. Johan Eklof angavs vid detta tillfälle vara finländare, 23 år gammal och ogift.

Även Johan Eriks syster, Wilhelmina (Mina) Eklöf, född 6.10.1887 i Kerklax, verkar att ha emigrerat till Amerika, men när detta eventuellt skedde är okänt. Information om hennes och broderns öden mottages med tacksamhet!

Slutligen får jag hälsa alla läsare av The Finlander Forum! Då jag är rätt ny vid detta forum vill jag också ta tillfället i akt och presentera mig. Således, jag heter Göran Leonard Kuhlberg, född år 1954 i Borgå lk och numera bosatt i Somero i sydvästra Finland. Jag är agrolog till utbildningen och sedan ett tiotal år verksam som försöksassistent vid ett företag inom växtskyddsbranschen. Mina rötter är dels från Borgå jämte Salotrakten och dels från Maxmo, Karleby och Kalajoki. Se där en grundlig blandning!

Hösthälsningar från Göran

June Pelo
23-09-08, 21:40
Göran, Welcome to Finlander Forum. I noticed you have some roots in Karleby. My farmor came from Karleby and I still have relatives there.

Some of our researchers can't read Swedish, and if you could post something in English perhaps they could help with your Eklöf search.

Kuhlberg
25-09-08, 11:09
Hello to everybody on the Finlander Forum! I am quite new here so I guess I should try to introduce myself! Well, in short, my name is Göran Leonard Kuhlberg, born in 1954 in Borgå and now living in Somero in the southwest of Finland. I have an education in the field of agriculture and now work as a research assistant for a major national company dealing with pesticides. My roots are in Borgå, the region of Salo and in Österbotten (Maxmo, Karleby and Kalajoki).

I repeat my post about Johan Erik and Wilhelmina (Mina) Eklöf, this time in English!

My grandmother´s brother Johan Erik Eklöf was born on the 16th of March, 1886 in the village Kerklax of Maxmo and emigrated to the USA very shortly after the year 1900. It is possible that he is identical to the person Johan Eklof, who arrived at the 9th of September, 1901 to Ellis Island with the s/s Philadelphia. The port of departure in Europe was Southampton. At this occasion Johan Eklof was said to be of Finnish ethnicity, 23 years old and single.

Wilhelmina (Mina) Eklöf, born at 6th of October, 1887 in Kerklax seems also have emigrated to the USA, but the date of when she might have left from Finland is unknown. Any information about Johan Erik and Mina is of interest!

Best wishes to everybody from Göran

Kerstin
28-09-08, 05:33
I think that you can contact www.migrationinstitute.fi/

Kerstin

Kuhlberg
09-08-09, 21:46
Hello again!

It is now obvious that my earlier assumption that my grandmother´s brother Johan Erik Eklöf might have arrived at the 9th of September, 1901 to Ellis Island was not correct. According to the information I have got from the Institute of Migration he left Finland at the 5th of April, 1905. He was 19 years old at that time and it seems very unlikely that a passport would have been issued for him in 1901 when he was only 15 years old. As far as I know he did not travel together with any family members.

I will try to get some more detailed info from the Institute of Migration as soon as their web server problems are fixed.

Best wishes from Göran Kuhlberg

Kerstin
10-08-09, 08:42
There is a Johan Eklof arraving to Boston 21 of april 1905. He is 20 years old and he is going to Eveleth Minnesota to cousin Chas.Öling. on the same trip there is a Isak Oling, and he is also going to cousin Chas Oling in Eveleth. They are arriving on the ship Saxonia.

Kerstin

Denise
10-08-09, 13:35
Hi Göran,
From the Institute of Migration (it is up and working again).

Best Regards,
Denise

Detailed passport information
Last name Eklöf
First names Johan Erik
Other names *
Date of birth . .1886
Marital status 1
Religion Lut.
Occupation Torpp. pka
Home parish Maksamaa
Province VAA
Passport date 30.03.1905
Passport number 2217
Passport valid (year:month) 1:0
Destination Amerikka
Passport issued by VAA
Remarks *

Detailed passenger information
Last name Eklöf
First names Johan
Age or age group 20
Port of departure Hanko
Place of destination Eveleth
State of destination MN
Country of destination USA
Price of ticket FIM 336
Ship from Finland Polaris
Date of departure from Finland 05.04.1905
Ship from England Etruria
Date of departure from England 15.04.1905
Ocean Line Cunard Line
Port of departure in England *
List and page 43/18
Remarks *

Detailed passport information
Last name Oling
First names Isak Erik
Other names *
Date of birth . .1887
Marital status 1
Religion Lut.
Occupation Itsell. pka
Home parish Maksamaa
Province VAA
Passport date 30.03.1905
Passport number 2215
Passport valid (year:month) 2:0
Destination Amerikka
Passport issued by VAA
Remarks *

Detailed passenger information
Last name Oling
First names Isak
Age or age group 18
Port of departure Hanko
Place of destination Eveleth
State of destination MN
Country of destination USA
Price of ticket FIM 336
Ship from Finland Polaris
Date of departure from Finland 05.04.1905
Ship from England Etruria
Date of departure from England 15.04.1905
Ocean Line Cunard Line
Port of departure in England *
List and page 43/18
Remarks *

Kuhlberg
10-08-09, 20:20
Thank you Denise and Kerstin!

Thank you so much for the vital information. It seems now clear to me that Johan Erik and Isak Erik went to Eveleth in Minnesota. Surely a good place for them since they had a relative living there. A general comment: There seems to have been a lot of people with the surnames Eklof and Oling living in Minnesota! I hope I can find out which are the relatives of these two young men starting a new life in the west.

Göran

Kerstin
10-08-09, 22:43
There is a WWI draft card for Isaac Oling born in Maxma Russia Finland august 23 1887. He is single and he is living in Superior Douglas Wisconsin

Kerstin

Kerstin
10-08-09, 23:24
In cencus of 1910 he is living in Solon Springs Douglas Wisconsin . He is a laborer on odd jobs, and he is living as a boarder in the family of Anna Bartell.

In the cencus of 1930 he is living in Barnes Bayfield Wisconsin. He is living as a hired man in Mary Huges house.

Kerstin

Kuhlberg
11-08-09, 21:55
Kerstin,

Can you give me a hint on where and how to search about info about Johan Erik assuming that he really made it to Minnesota and stayed there for at least a while? I have tried to search for example "Eklof Minnesota" and got a lot of hits but haven't really found any useful information. There seems to have been a lot of people named Eklof in that state, or in any state for that matter....

Göran

Kerstin
12-08-09, 11:53
I guess that he chanced his name to John?

You can also turn to the finnish or Minnesota massage board on www.rootsweb.com and ask for him there. Or turn to http://genforum.genealogy.com/

Kerstin

Kuhlberg
15-08-09, 08:41
Hello again!

Most probably he changed his name into John. But did he use the surname Eklof all the time or did he become an 'Oakley' or something like that at some point? We just don't know that...

I will certainly use the sources you pointed out to me. Thank you!

Göran

Kuhlberg
22-08-09, 18:48
Today I found the date of death for Isak Öling (Isaac Oling)! He died on May 9th, 1942 in Eau Claire Lakes, Douglas, Wisconsin : http://www.newspaperabstracts.com/link.php?action=detail&id=60784

But still no traces of Johan Erik...

Göran