PDA

View Full Version : Herlevi

June Pelo
29-09-08, 00:01
I have a request from Finland for help finding someone and all he knows is the name and date he emigrated. He doesn't know where he went in the US. He writes in Finnish which I can't read, but I could decipher the name - so it sounds impossible to find. His name could be Emmes or Herlevi:

Johan Jakob Abrahamsson Herlevi, b. 11 Oct 1878, Nedervetil. To America 1897. He was the son of Abraham Eriksson Lod- Emmes and Maria Wilhelmina Mattsdotter Emmes.

If anyone has any suggestions, we'd appreciate finding something.

Karen Norwillo
29-09-08, 17:33
June,
I found a John Jacob Herlevi in Ashtabula OH with wife Hilda and large family. His birth is slightly off, but it matches the only Johan Abramsson Herlevi born 1878 on Emigrant Register. He left Finland in 1900.
According to his WWI Draft and WWII, he was born in Nov, not Oct. I tried Emmes, but no hits. If this is the correct man, John Herlevi died 9 Jul 1958 at home in Ashtabula, OH at age 79. Cert# 46258 OH Deaths. Hilda M Herlevi 1884-30 Aug 1964 Ashtabula General Hospital, Ashtabula, OH. Karen

Karen Norwillo
29-09-08, 17:41
Of the children, Albert J Herlevi 22 Aug 1907-22 Jan 2000 Ashtabula, OH
Carl E Herlevi 1905-12 Aug 1980 OH.
Ester O abt 1902, Carl E 1905, Albert J 1907, Edna W abt 1911, Edith J abt 1913 and Eleanor A abt 1918. From the census , it looks like all children born OH.

Karen Norwillo
29-09-08, 17:47
Here's the WWI Draft Reg. The first one was WWII.
There's an entry on Family Search LDS for a John Jacob Herlevi born 10 Nov 1878 in Ullava, Lansi-Sumomen läni, Finland and died 9 Jul 1958 in Ashtabula, OH. His father, Abraham Herlevi, mother, Wilhelmina Ammeren or Animeren. This cold be someone's interpretation of Emmes. I found Herlevi as a farm name in Ullava.

June Pelo
29-09-08, 18:33
Karen,

A thousand thanks for finding all of that. It looks to me like he is the correct person and I'll send it all to Mikko, with credit to you.

June Pelo
29-09-08, 18:43
Karen,

Meant to say that the names of the parents are correct. Emmes is sometimes spelled Ämmes. The family had lived in Nedervetil and Ullava. So I think you have found the correct family. Mikko will probably ask me if there are living relatives, but I wouldn't think any of John's children are still alive - maybe some of his grandchildren, if any.

June Pelo
28-10-08, 22:42
Thanks to Karen, Mikko in Finland has located 3 new relatives in the US. She dug up all kinds of info. in the census, etc. and then found a living relative in Ohio. He had moved around a bit and I had a problem tracking him, but finally got results this week. He wrote to let me know he's happy that I found him, and he has notified his sister and a cousin. Today I heard from them and have forwarded everything to Mikko - and they can all get acquainted now. Needless to say they are delighted to learn about Mikko.

Thanks, again, Karen.

Karen Norwillo
29-10-08, 18:39
You're both very welcome.
Right now I've been helping Niko Tähti from the Suku post with his search. I've found alot for him. We've been corresponding by our private email.

Hasse
29-10-08, 21:04
You're both very welcome.
Right now I've been helping Niko Tähti from the Suku post with his search. I've found alot for him. We've been corresponding by our private email.

As always I hope that the communication could take place under the Forum. Often a message thread that seems to provide the answers to the person who asked the question is a valuable asset for other persons too. I know that many in Finland think that everything should be so very private - but the Forum discussion shouldn't be forgot. Every time one gets the signal "lets go private" one should think whether this is really necessary.

Both the Suku Forum and the Finlander forum can exist only if the message flow is continuous.

Let us all feel the joy when all you Agatha Christies of today find the lost Finns in the archives in USA - and vice versa.:p

Hasse

Karen Norwillo
29-10-08, 23:06
Hasse,
The reason I went that way is, I couldn't figure out how to register for the Suku site. I couldn't read the directions and no English was available that I saw. If someone will tell me how to do that, I will gladly post answers there.
Karen

June Pelo
30-10-08, 21:36
I agree with Karen. I don't pay any attention to requests from Suku because I haven't been able to figure out how to get into it - and can't read Finnish.

Hasse
30-10-08, 21:57
Hasse,
The reason I went that way is, I couldn't figure out how to register for the Suku site. I couldn't read the directions and no English was available that I saw. If someone will tell me how to do that, I will gladly post answers there.
Karen

I beginning to understand the dialemma. Maybe we should remove the write protection of the posted, relayed question here in Finlander. Then it could be easier to reply locally here in Finlander - without creating a new thread.

In principle Suku Forum is defined as being a Finnish/Swedish language discussion forum. Nobody will deny people writing in other languages of course - but topics in for us "foreign languages" probably is best served in Finlander. The exchange subforums on both side is a way of signalling that this kind of a discussion is starting "on the other side".

Btw - Suku Forum of course can be used in the same way as Finlander. The interface language can be changed in exactly the same on Suku Forum as here on the Finlander forum. (in the profile or in the bottom left of each and every displayed page)

I'll open the relayed message topics and we'll see what happens.

Hasse