PDA

View Full Version : Syväluoma

pirjo
08-10-08, 02:26
I’m assisting a friend in locating her Finnish roots. Her grandmother was Edith Mari Syväluoma b. Oct 14, 1880 Teuva – d. Apr 30, 1947 Port Arthur, Canada. She was first married to unknown Kauranen and later to Otto Ryynänen. She traveled to Canada, date unknown, and returned to Finland around 1904 and finally back to Canada in 1911 (Institute of Migration records show that she was widowed and her home parish as Pyhäjärvi when leaving on her last journey) .
We’re trying to find the name of her first husband, Kauranen, as well as to who her parents were and did she have any siblings. Unfortunately Teuva records for the period are not on line yet. Any information would be helpful and much appreciated.

Terveisin
Pirjo

Karen Norwillo
08-10-08, 22:38
Pirjo,
Here's the 1903 marriage for Edith Maria Luoma and Elias Kaurala in Thunder Bay, Ontario, Canada.
Elias Kaurala, 20 1/2, Port Arthur, Finland, bachelor, laborer, father ?Adam Kaurala, mother Leisa Tika.
Edith Maria Luoma, 21 1/2, finland, Spinster, father Esaias Luoma, mother Leisa Kaine? maybe Kaisa. 29 June 1903. Source:Family History Library, Microfilm MS 932_112.
I couldn't find anything under Syväluoma, so I took a chance she shortened it to Luoma. This is from Ancestry.com. Karen

Karen Norwillo
08-10-08, 23:32
I found a marriage for an Otto Ryyanen, but it's to a Maria Saari. She is listed as a widow. It's the only marriage found for Otto and I found no other marriage for Edith under Luoma or Kaurala or Kauranen. Strange. I'm attaching, but I'm not sure it's the couple you seek. The maiden name of mother of the bride looks like a match, but they have her first name as Anna, but it could be Anna Liisa??? The father does not match. First marriage said Esaias, this one says Matti. But these documents weren't always factual. Karen

pirjo
09-10-08, 02:39
Thank you Karen! I believe you have found the right people. Edith used the name Maria in Canada. Her first child was born in Port Arthur in 1904 after which she returned to Finland. Her next two sons were born in Finland. As I said in my previous post, she came back to Canada in 1911 and married Otto very shortly there after.
I will try to clear up the Luoma/Saari mystery.
Thanks again.
Pirjo

Karen Norwillo
09-10-08, 16:59
Pirjo,
I'm abit confused about the children born in Finland. Did Elias Kaurala/Kauranen return to Finland with her in 1904? If not, who was the father of those 2 children? Did she marry a Saari and be widowed again or did Elias die in Finland? Karen

Karen Norwillo
09-10-08, 17:06
Pirjo,
Here's a 1906 birth of Gust Edward Kaurala to the correct parents, so they were still in Port Arthur in 1906. Read down the left column item #13. Karen

pirjo
10-10-08, 19:15
Hi Karen,
Thank you for your interest and help.
I too am puzzled as to why she used the name Saari and still working on that one. It still appears to be the person we are looking for. This marriage took place a week after she and Otto arrived in Canada April 1911. As I mentioned before, the Migration Institute records show her name as Kauranen and that she was a widow.
From her first marriage she had three children. The first son was born in Port Arthur 1904. The parent’s names on that registration were Edward Kauranen and Maggie Luoma. On this gentleman’s obit it states: “he moved to Finland shortly thereafter with his parents”. Obviously they stayed at least until 1906 as you indicate. The third son was born in 1909, I assume in Finland.
The names certainly make the search more challenging.
Pirjo

Karen Norwillo
11-10-08, 17:14
Pirjo,
Strange that they would have the first names as Edward and Maggie, even an untrained ear shouldn't get that out of Elias and Maria or Marie. I can see the Kauranen or Kaurala. Karen

Karen Norwillo
11-10-08, 18:00
Pirjo,
Here's that 1904 birth for Harold Kauranen. Father listed as Edgar, mother as Maggie.

Karen Norwillo
11-10-08, 21:54
Found the Ryynanen's in the 1911 census for Thunder Bay, Port Arthur. Note it says they both emigrated in 1911. They are with Anna and Agrikola Kotila, who were the witnesses at their wedding. I did see on Migration Institute that an Edit Kauranen emigrated 29.03.1911. I do not see any of the children with her on the 1911 census. I did see a Harald Kauranen born 1904 who emigrated. I wonder if Edith and Otto met in Finland and emigrated at the same time? Still wondering where that Saari came from. Karen

Karen Norwillo
11-10-08, 22:01
Forgot to attach the second page of the marriage record that shows the witnesses at the marriage of Elias and Edith Maria.

Karen Norwillo
11-10-08, 22:18
I checked. Otto Ryynänen left the same day as Edith, 29.03.1911. I did not see a Harald Kauranen emigrate until 1921. He would have been 17. Wonder why he didn't go with his mother in 1911? I don't have full access, so I don't know his destination.

pirjo
12-10-08, 03:28
Hi Karen,
I don't know why the boys didn't come back to Canada with their mother. Unfortunately I have been unable reach my friend today to see if she has any further clues.
The son, Ove, born in 1909 came to Canada in 1930 (according to immigration records)and died in Vancouver in 1984.
Gustav Edvard was killed in Finland during the war in 1940 (information from fallen soldiers in Finland).
Thank you so much for all the information you have found on this family. It has provided some vital clues and produced some intriguing questions.
Pirjo

SusanR
15-10-08, 20:42
These 3 people are listed at the Mountain View Cemetery in Vancouver, BC - could they be related?

KAURANEN, Ahti Mar-01-1979 JONES/*/12/007/0007
KAURANEN, Aino Ester Jun-15-1987 MASONIC/*/*/*/0639
KAURANEN, Ove Adam May-30-1984 MASONIC/*/*/*/0639

The dates listed are the burial dates.

I looked on the BC Archives site and they have the following:

Ove Adam Kauranen - died 1984 5 19 Age 76
Ahti Kauranen - died 1978 4 10 Age 42
Aino Ester Kauranen - died 1987 6 1 Age 84

Then there is one more person on the BC Archives:

Alice Kauranen - died 1979 8 8 - Age 93, died in Coquitlam.

If these are any of the people you are looking for I can try and get some copies of the Death Registration and see if there are headstones at the Cemetery.

pirjo
24-10-08, 03:41
Susan,
Thank you for the information regarding Kauranens. I believe I have all the info that I need on Ove Kauranen and his wife Aino. At this point I'm most interested in the Syväluoma side of the family.
Sorry that it took so long to respond to your post but I was across country visiting my daughter.
Thanks again for your help.
Pirjo