PDA

View Full Version : Charles Wilson, Göteborg, Sweden

June Pelo
29-10-08, 22:24
I'm searching for information about Charles Wilson, b. 23 Mar 1850, Göteborg, Sweden. His granddaughter wrote: He shipped out as a cabin boy at a fairly young age from Sweden. He was a professional seaman, and in the census data in later years, he still listed his occupation as seaman. He sailed "around the Horn" in the days of the sailing ships. I have an envelope addressed to him (unfortunatly empty) at the Swedish Seaman's Home in Boston. So I think it is fairly safe to say that he went to sea. My dad seemed to think that he sailed on a ship owned by an English company and they gave him the name Wilson. Certainly Wilson is more an English surname than Swedish. I have no idea how he finally landed in Ludington, Michigan. I do have a letter, written shortly after my grandmother's marriage, to Charles Wilson, from his brother, who was then living in Glen Arbor, Michigan. In the letter, he mentions that they are the last two living of their family. His name was JOHAN THORIN. But he didn't sign his last name and I don't have an envelope with the letter. But if we could find a family in Goteborg who had two sons with those names that might be helpful!! I haven't checked with the LDS sources, but they may have the church records for the Goteborg churches.

Does anyone have any suggestions how to locate the parents of Charles/Karl and his brother Johan Thorin?

karinh
31-10-08, 20:57
Hello June!
I think i have found some information about Charles brother Johan Thorin at Ancestry. In the 1900 federal cencus i found a John and Lydia Thorin.
Name: John Thorin
[J Thorin]
Home in 1900: Glen Arbor, Leelanau, Michigan
Birth Date: Oct 1836
Birthplace: Sweden
Race: White
Ethnicity: American
Immigration Year: 1880
Relationship to head-of-house: Head
Father's Birthplace: Sweden
Mother's Birthplace: Sweden
Spouse's Name: Lydia
Marriage Year: 1876
Marital Status: Married
Years Married: 24
Residence : South Manitou Island, Leelanau, Michigan

Karinh

June Pelo
31-10-08, 21:17
Karinh,

Yes, I think you have found him. The last known address for him was Glen Arbor, Michigan! We didn't have a birthdate nor wife's name - and now we know he was born 1836 and was married to Lydia. It looks like he was about 14 years older than his brother Charles/Carl, b. 1850. Is there any way to find the names of their parents? Charles/Carl went to sea at an early age, so there probably isn't any record of him in Sweden after ca 1866. This is the first real bit of information we have and we thank you for that. Do you think that Carl was Carl Thorin? Would that be the family name? If you can find anything more about that family, it will be appreciated.

christina
31-10-08, 21:33
On Ancestry.com http://boards.ancestry.com/surnames.thorin/1/mb.ashx
I found this:

"Searching for children or grandchildren to Carl Thorin and his sister Helen Olson from Sweden"
Could it be from the same family?

Hälsningar
Christina Nordback

June Pelo
31-10-08, 22:05
Hi Christina,

At first glance I thought it could be true, but names and dates aren't right, so I don't think this is Carl's family. He did have a brother John Thorin, b. 1836 in Sweden, so maybe Thorin was a family name there. John's wife's name was Lydia and they lived in Glen Arbor, Michigan. As far as I know Carl and his brother John were the only surviving members of their family. Carl was born 23 Mar 1850 in Göteborg and came to the US 1873. He married Augusta/Gustava Swanson/Svenson from Småland, and had 5 children: Frank, Oskar, Arthur, Olga and Hilda. The children were born between 1878 and 1885 in Ludington, Michigan.

I'll pass your information along to the family members to see what they think. Thank you for your help.

karinh
01-11-08, 10:38
June!
I think that Thorin is the family name. Gothenburg is and was a big city. I took a quick look at Genlines birthbooks for Gothenburg but haven´t found anything yet.
karinh

June Pelo
01-11-08, 16:51
Karinh,

Thanks for checking. The grandchildren of Olga and Hilda are still living and we're asking them if they have any further knowledge of the family.
June

Ingemar Ekman
03-11-08, 19:36
Hi June,

I think I found John Thorin on the CD Emibas (copy below) with different spelling:

Torin, Johannes
Arbetare, worker (gift man, married man)
f. 11/10 1836 (born 11 Oct 1836)
Utvandrad 31/8 1882 (emigrated 31 Aug 1882)
from Göteborgs Karl Johan, Göteborgs och Bohus län (Västergötland)
till Amerika
Källa (Source): Husförhörslängd, page 361

Johansson Torin, Lydia Christina
Hustru (gift kvinna , wife, married woman)
f. 11/11 1849 i Kungälv, Göteborgs och Bohus län (Bohuslän)

and their children?: (need to be verified in the birth records)
Torin, Carolina Gustava
Flicka (ogift kvinna)
f. 24/12 1876 i Göteborgs Karl Johan, Göteborgs och Bohus län (Västergötland)
Utvandrad 31/8 1882
från Göteborgs Karl Johan, Göteborgs och Bohus län (Västergötland)
till Amerika
Källa: Husförhörslängd, s. 446

Torin, Ernst Constantin
Gosse (ogift man)
f. 26/5 1879 i Göteborgs Karl Johan, Göteborgs och Bohus län (Västergötland)
Utvandrad 31/8 1882
från Göteborgs Karl Johan, Göteborgs och Bohus län (Västergötland)
till Amerika
Källa: Emibas emigrationsakt: Göteborgs Karl Johan O 1882 126

I tried then to find the family at www.genline.se ( the scanned church records) but unfortunately I did not find them at page 361 and 446 for the year 1882

Best regards,
Ingemar

June Pelo
03-11-08, 20:23
Ingemar,

That certainly sounds promising. Brian is on his way to Japan right now, but I'll send this to him and hope he'll know more about John's wife and children. I believe he married his wife Lydia in 1876 and they came to the US 1880. I don't know anything about their children, but will try to find out. Is there any way to find John Torin's parents to see if they had a son Karl? Looks like the family did live in Göteborg which is where Karl said he was born in 1850 - we hope the date is correct. Thanks for finding this.

June Pelo
03-11-08, 23:58
Just had a thought: Karinh found this about John Thorin and Ingemar found something about the same person. Would the US census for 1900 or later years show children for them? If the children were Caroline Gustava, b. 1876; and Ernst Constantin, b. 1879, then we could assume that the family below and the one Ingemar found are the Thorin family - and John Thorin would be Charles Wilson's brother. Thorin is an unusual name and there can't be many people using that name. Could descendants of the son Ernst Thorin appear in later census records? The family lived in Glen Arbor, MI but the children evidently moved elsewhere later. Relatives of Charles Wilson in the US seem to think this Johannes Thorin could be Charles' brother - and if we could find Johannes Thorin's birth record in Göteborgs Karl Johan, Göteborgs och Bohus län (Västergötland), that would help complete the ancestry of the Wilson family.

Name: John Thorin
[J Thorin]
Home in 1900: Glen Arbor, Leelanau, Michigan
Birth Date: Oct 1836
Birthplace: Sweden
Race: White
Ethnicity: American
Immigration Year: 1880
Relationship to head-of-house: Head
Father's Birthplace: Sweden
Mother's Birthplace: Sweden
Spouse's Name: Lydia
Marriage Year: 1876
Marital Status: Married
Years Married: 24
Residence : South Manitou Island, Leelanau, Michigan

June Pelo
05-11-08, 02:13
I found out that John Thorin emigrated 1880 and his wife Lydia and two children Carolina and Ernest emigrated from Sweden 1882. The 1900 census shows only one child was living. I assume Carolina died, because Ernest was in the Army 1914. Carolina was b. ca 1878 and Ernest, ca 1879. The family was living in Glen Arbor, MI in 1900. Can anyone find a death record for Carolina - she must have died between 1882 and 1900.

budjohnson
05-11-08, 15:49
Hi June

I found a Carolina Yaslig 19 years old, born in Sweden, married and her father is listed as John Thorsin. She died 27 March 1896 in Empire Township, Leelanau County, Michigan. I found the record in FamilySearch. If Karen sees this she could possibly post the image.

Bud

Karen Norwillo
05-11-08, 19:21
Here's the image. I had to change the size, too big. I'll go back and crop the area so it's readable.

Karen Norwillo
05-11-08, 19:31
Here's the cropped image.

Ingemar Ekman
05-11-08, 19:39
In the SCB of birth records for the province "Göteborg and Bohuslän" I found
both Carolina Gustava and Ernst Constantin birth records (avskrift)
See enclosed pictures and this confirm that Johannes Thorin and Lydia Johansson were the parents.
The ´SCB birth records started year 1860
I found also that the parish "Karl Johan" was an annex to Örgryte parish until 1883 and I will try to find the family in Örgryte.
/ Ingemar

June Pelo
05-11-08, 20:36
OOOH - it's like Christmas! Thank you Bud, Karen and Ingemar. The family members here are now getting excited and hopefully Ingemar can find the family in Sweden.

budjohnson
06-11-08, 20:59
Hi June

I found a Carolina Yaslig 19 years old, born in Sweden, married and her father is listed as John Thorsin. She died 27 March 1896 in Empire Township, Leelanau County, Michigan. I found the record in FamilySearch. If Karen sees this she could possibly post the image.

Bud

Hi again June

It appears that the record I quoted was transcribed wrong. It should have been Carolina Fjarlig. I found her marriage when she was 17 to a Norwegian Andrew Fjarlig married November 14, 1893. She also had a son born just 10 days before she died. His name was Carl Alfred Fjarlic born March 17, 1896.

Bud

Karen Norwillo
06-11-08, 21:04
Bud did some more searching and we think maybe he found the correct spelling of the husband's name. He found a birth record for a Carl Alfred Fjarlic 14 Mar 1896 in Empire, MI. This would be just a short time before Carolina died. Also found another marriage for an Andrew Fjarlig 37 to a Josephine Hanson on 12 May 1897. Hope these attach readable. These files are so big.

June Pelo
06-11-08, 21:41
Thanks, Bud and Karen. Lots of new interesting information.

Ingemar Ekman
07-11-08, 18:19
I found the scanned church record "Göteborg Karl Johan D1:2 Övrigt 1828-1886" and the individuals were sorted by the first letter in the surname. On the page 361 (GID 896.48.38900) was Johannes Thorin. I am not able to read all comments about him, maybe he went first to Denmark? and returned. Utf 82, 265 and to Amerika 5/8 80. Please find a copy of the record.
Two more Thorin were recorded= Magdalen b 29 Jan 1834 and Axel Leonard b 19 Aug 1864.
/Ingemar

June Pelo
07-11-08, 18:38
Ingemar,

Thank you for finding that about Johannes. We don't know if Magdalen and Axel were related to him because we don't know much of anything about Johannes' family. We still don't know who his parents were. I'll pass your attachment on to family members.

Ingemar Ekman
08-11-08, 13:42
I have today posted a query in Swedish at "Rötters Anbytarforum " Link to the message
http://aforum.genealogi.se/cgi-bin/discus/show.cgi?tpc=44&post=847110

Best regards,
Ingemar

Ingemar Ekman
04-12-08, 19:29
I got several replies on the query mentioned above and also several direct emails.
From The Regional Archives in Göteborg I got the page numbers where to find information
about Johannes Thorin in 10 different household examination records from 1855 - 1872 but unfortunately
no information where Johannes was born. Johannes had a relation 1860´s and got two sons
Axel Leonard b 1864 and Johan Wilhelm b 1862. See enclosed copy from the church record. (GID 896.95.80900)
The birth records confirm that Johannes was the father.
Johannes Thorin had a sister Magdalena b 1834 and probably another sister Anna Christina b 1839
Axel Leonard b 1864 was engaged and had two daughters b 1885 and 1890.
Eivor Canavo informed me that sailor Axel Leonard died in yellow fever 16 July 1892 in Santos, Brasilia
and his fiance was than married Björlin and Johan Wilhelm b. 1862 still lived 1911 in Göteborg
and Johannes sister Magdalena died 1868. Eivor has also sent me information about Johannes
wife Lydia, her siblings and parents.
Many thanks to Eivor Canova!
/Ingemar

June Pelo
04-12-08, 21:43
Ingemar,

Many thanks for all that information. And thanks to Eivor. It's frustrating that there is so much available about Johannes, but no mention of his parents or sibllings - or even where they were born. So far, no new information has turned up here about the family either. But I'll pass your latest info. on to the family.