PDA

View Full Version : Need translation please

Heather
22-11-03, 03:35
I just received an old postcard with a photo on it the writing is Swedish though.

Can someone translate for me please? Into American?

I don't have Swedish characters on my computer will that make a difference in the translation?

Her ar att li art i frarr (or fran) Sofia sam tags den 17, april i or la var han 70 ar elen lag han mar bra a eh ansleor (or ansleov) lig ach li lina alt val brar Sofia

I may have mispelled some things as the writing is not very clear to me. Can anyone help?

jeanette
22-11-03, 03:55
Hi Heather,
I'm sorry I can't help with the translation but I may be able to help you with the Swedish characters.I understand they are very important.

Hold down the Alt key then type 0246
on the numeric keypad an ö should appear
Alt 0196 = Ä Alt 0228 = ä
Alt 0197 = Å Alt 0229 = å
Alt 0203 = Ë Alt 0235 = ë
Alt 0214 = Ö Alt 0246 = ö
Alt 0220 = Ü Alt 0252 = ü
also Alt 0233 = é

Hope this helps
Jeanette

Heather
22-11-03, 04:46
Her år ett leart i från Sofia sam tags den 17, april i år då var han 70 år den dag han mår bra a ech ånsleov dig ach de dina alt vål brår Sofia

Thank you so much! Hopefully that helps to get a good translation!

Kaj Nyman
22-11-03, 07:30
Hi Heather,

I shall check if I find something about Gabriel born in Bergö but for the moment I am a bit in hurry but probably tomorrow I can have something.

Regards

Kaj Nyman

Alf Blomqvist
22-11-03, 07:34
Originally posted by Heather
Her ar att li art i frarr (or fran) Sofia sam tags den 17, april i or la var han 70 ar elen lag han mar bra a eh ansleor (or ansleov) lig ach li lina alt val brar Sofia

Could scan the text?

I think that the text about a photo of Sofia? taken 17 April this year when she/he ? 70 years old, she/he is at good healt...

Alf in Kronoby, Finland

Gita Wiklund
22-11-03, 13:33
Hi Heather,

"Her år ett leart i från Sofia sam tags den 17, april i år då var han 70 år den dag han mår bra a ech ånsleov dig ach de dina alt vål brår Sofia"

My interpretation of the text:

Här är ett kort ifrån Sofia som togs den 17 april i år då var hon 70 år den dag hon mår bra och önskar dig och de dina allt väl
(brår=från???) Sofia

would translate to something like this:

Here is a photo from Sofia that was taken on april 17 when she was 70 years that day she feels well and wish you and your family all the best
(from?) Sofia

It would be better though if you could scan the text. For instance if it says "han" it means he and not she. Is it a woman or a man on the photo?

Gita

Heather
23-11-03, 03:22
Thank you so much for the translation!

It's definately a woman. It's a postcard type with the photo on one side and the writing on the other.

I have a scanned copy of it but when I tried to post it here it said the file size is too big. It's a jpg and I don't know how to make the file size smaller.

Alf Blomqvist
23-11-03, 09:41
Originally posted by Heather

I have a scanned copy of it but when I tried to post it here it said the file size is too big. It's a jpg and I don't know how to make the file size smaller.

Send the file as private mail: Alf.Blomqvist%40multi.fi