PDA

View Full Version : Havreflarn

Gunnar Damstrφm
01-12-08, 06:53
While I'm at it, here is a recipe for a cookie I really loved when i was a kid (it's been a while). Since I am allergic to gluten, the old recipe has received a new meaning for me.

Havreflarn (oat coffee cookies)
Ingredients
• 1/3 cup butter
• 1 1/8 cups rolled oats
• 2/3 cup white sugar
• 1 egg
• 5 toasted bitter almonds, ground
• 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour or all-purpose gluten free baking flour.
• 1 teaspoon baking powder
Directions
1. Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F (225 degrees C).
2. Melt the butter, and pour it immediately over the oats. Let the mixture cool.
3. Add sugar, the lightly whipped egg, and the ground bitter almond to the oat mixture. Combine the flour with the baking powder, stir into the dough.
4. Cover baking sheet with parchment paper. Place spoonfuls on parchment paper. The cookies float out, limit to 6 to 8 spoonfuls on each sheet. Bake the cookies in the middle of the oven for about 6 minutes. Remove and let cool.

Karen Norwillo
01-12-08, 14:48
Gunnar,
I'll have to try these. I love oatmeal cookies and these sound abit different. What are bitter almonds? I never heard that term. I use natural roasted almonds alot, but never heard "bitter" before.
Karen

Hasse
01-12-08, 17:21
Here (http://linevictoria.mobilblogg.no/images/mms_op_single_id_440811_name_bilde119_1197885246.j pg) is a picture of a typical "havreflarn"

Trust me - they are good!

Hasse

June Pelo
02-12-08, 00:12
Karen,
Bitter almonds remind me of the inside of a peach or apricot pit. Here is something: The bitter almond is a cousin to the sweet almond and contains traces of lethal prussic acid in its raw state. Although the toxicity is destroyed by heat, the sale of unrefined bitter almonds is prohibited in the United States. Fifty unprocessed bitter almonds can be lethal to a human. Yet, bitter almonds are successfully processed to make almond extract and almond-flavored liqueurs.

June Pelo
02-12-08, 00:13
Karen, They remind me of the seed inside a peach or apricot stone.
The bitter almond is a cousin to the sweet almond and contains traces of lethal prussic acid in its raw state. Although the toxicity is destroyed by heat, the sale of unrefined bitter almonds is prohibited in the United States. Fifty unprocessed bitter almonds can be lethal to a human. Yet, bitter almonds are successfully processed to make almond extract and almond-flavored liqueurs.

kivinen1
02-12-08, 01:52
I guess advise like that is worth giving twice;)
:D

kivinen1
02-12-08, 01:54
This is BY FAR my most favorite cookie.:p

Karen Norwillo
22-12-08, 19:45
I finally made my cookies today. I substituted almond extract for the 5 bitter almonds and they are very good. Very easy to make. I will definitely make them again. Karen