PDA

View Full Version : Kopar Holmes {surnames}

bonita420
01-01-09, 21:33
Mina Kopar and Leander Holmes were my maternal great-grandparents. All I know of them is that Leander Holmes was born in 1852 and there is a notation that says {Frans}
I don't know the birthdate of Mina Kopar but it must have been around 1852. She was from Kokkola Finland.
I am at an impasse trying to find information for my family tree.
Is there anyone that knows of those names?
Thank you in advance of any assistance.
Bonita Anderson

June Pelo
01-01-09, 23:36
I have the birth records for Karleby/Kokkola for years up to 1859. I just looked in 1852, but didn't find a Mina or Wilhelmina. Do you have any specific information?

June Pelo
02-01-09, 00:13
I just took a look in the births for Wilhelmina and found these:

Alexandra Wilhelmina, b. 3 Nov 1853 to Greta Sofia Andersdotter Möller.

Johanna Wilhelmina, b. 13 Apr 1854 to Johan Johansson Wenterjärvi and Maria.

Johannna Wilhelmina, b. 14 Jul 1856 to Jacob Larsson Åsmus and Maja Lisa.

Matilda Wilhelmina, b. 4 Jul 1857 to farm hand Johan Johansson Korpi Kolpan and Brita.

Wilhelmina, b. 4 Dec 1858 to Anders Andersson Loulubacka and Anna Maja.

Wilhelmina, b. 10 Jun 1859 to Eric Johansson Kykyr and Brita.

Sofia Wilhelmina, b. 9 Jul 1849 to Carl Johansson Wentjärvi and Lovisa.

I have never come across the name Kopar - could it be Korpi Kolpan or Kykyr?

bonita420
02-01-09, 02:19
Hi June,
According to the 1905 census record that I have Mina was 45 years old so she must have been born in 1860. I never knew her as she died in 1920. My grandmother never talked about her, just her siblings and they are all gone now. I don't know if the name is different because that is the name my cousin gave me and he doesn't know anymore than that. Mina had six children and my grandmother Winifred was the youngest. The middle names of 3 of Mina's daughter's are Wilhelmina, Josephine and Sofia.
Do you have access to records after 1859? I'll have to keep trying to find something.
Bonita

June Pelo
02-01-09, 03:44
Karleby/Kokkola birth records are online to about 1860. I checked for more Wilhelmina names and found these:

Wilhelmina, b. 11 Jun 1859 in Karleby to Anders Johansson Furubacka and Anna Magdalena.

Mathilda Wilhelmina, b. 28 Aug 1859 in Gamlakarleby to Anders Dahlstedt and Christina Amalia. There were no Wilhelmina names for 1860. But we know from experience that dates can vary by a year or two.

It would help if you had a death cert. or something with her death or birth date on it. We know that emigrants didn't always use their family or farm name when they emigrated. Kopar could be a name she chose, or a variation of another name.

christer
02-01-09, 19:34
Hi Bonita
Have you found Leander and Mina in 1900 census, it usually give their birthdate and year. Do you know where they lived in 1900? I do have access to Kokkola churchrecord, Kokkola is just 80 miles away from where i live.Kopar surname does not sound right to me and Holmes is not a finnish name,probably Holm or Holms.

christer

Karen Norwillo
02-01-09, 21:00
I found the Koppar/Koppare name in Kokkola, but only into the 1700's. None after that on Hiski in Kokkola.
Karen

christer
02-01-09, 22:45
Hi
I found your Holm family in 1900 and 1910 census in Otter Tail ,MN
Leander Holm born Nov 1852
Wife Jemina( Miina)born May 1860
Their son John b.June 1883 in Finland so that will help a lot.
Holm is a common name in Finland but im sure i will find them.Jemina is very unusual so if she really carried that name in Finland it should not be a problem to find her.
Christer

bonita420
03-01-09, 01:11
Hi Christer, Karen and June,
Yes I have the census records for those years. I didn't know John was born in Finland.
June, Jemina could have been Mina's name because my Mother's middle name was Jemina and she was named after her.
Christer, I believe they lived in Ottertail County in 1900. My grandmother Winifred was born there. I haven't found what year Leander and Mina came to this country but it must have been before 1901, my grandmother's birthday.
I imagine since John was born in Finland 3 of the others were probably born there also. Lydia was 5 years younger than John, Hilma was 1 year younger than Lydia and Fannie was 2 years younger than Hilma. I don't know the exact dates but if John was in 1883 they were after that.
Bonita

bonita420
03-01-09, 01:19
Christer,
I know the name could be Holm or Holme but I Have always seen it as Holmes.
Bonita

christer
03-01-09, 17:49
Hi
I did some researching in Kokkola churchrecord today and it looks like eighter Leander or Jemina are born in Kokkola.Might be that they are born in some nearby parish and then moved to Kokkola.Churchrecord for Kokkola ends at 1862 so i was not able to look for their marriage record but i will go to the regional archive in Vasa next week when it open after the Christmas break, looks like they have some records until 1894 and they also have passport records for Vasa parish which inlude Kokkola so that might get something.
If you take a look at the censusrecords 1900 and 1910 you find some interesting facts.
Child Lydia was born in Michigan 1887 and child Hilma in Utah 1893,the rest of the children in Minnesota so they travelled around before they settled in Otter Tail.
1900 and 1910 census give immigration year for Leander 1883,probably ok.
1900 give 1886 for Jemina and 1910 give 1887 but if Lydia is born Aug 1887
Jemina can not possible have immigrated 1887 so 1886 is probably right.
1900 census say that Leander and Jemina married 23 years ago,ab 1877, 1910
census say 32 years ,ab 1878. Anyway, Jemina was born 1860 so she was about 17-18 when they married,and what is the reason for that? A child? So they might have had other children in Finland too.
1910 census say that Leander is naturalized between 1900 and 1910 so there should be a naturalization record for him somewhere in Minnesota.That could also give helpful information about birthplace, age, etc.

Christer

christer
03-01-09, 18:16
Hi again
Seems to be a naturalization record for Jemina Holm too:1920 census say Na 1907.
Naturalization records are hold in Chisholm at Ironworld.

christer

bonita420
03-01-09, 20:16
Hi Christer,
You found a lot of interesting information. I was beginning to wonder if I would ever know about my great-grandparents. I think John was born in Finland, he seems to be the oldest child on the 1905 census record. They may have had other children in Finland. I had no knowledge of their travels before settling in Ottertail.
Thank you once again!
Bonita

christer
04-01-09, 18:08
Hi Bonita
More facts from the census records that i didnt notice yesterday

1900 census say that Jemina was mother of 8 children,6 still living.
there are 5 children mentioned in the census,John,Lydia,Hilma,Fannie and Frans and if two died it get 7 so there must be one child more and lets say her first child was born ab 1877-1878 it will be ab 22-23 years old and probably moved out already in 1900 because i dont think they left it in Finland,age would have been ab 8-9 years in 1886 when Jemina emigrated.
1910 census say she was mother of 9 children,7 still alive.John had moved out in 1910 and Winifred was born so there where 5 children at home + john+ 2 ded children give us 8 children so this confirm that there was one more child alive.So you might have some more relatives in US too.

Christer

bonita420
05-01-09, 19:24
Hi Christer,
I was aware of John, Frans, Lydia, Hilma, Fannie and Winifred, I did not know of anymore. They must have died in Finland?
Is there any way to find the parents and siblings {if any} of Jemina Kopar in Finnish records, and the same for Leander Holm?
I ask because some of the people in my area have the Holm {or Holms, Holme or Holmes or Holm} surnames and could possibly be descendants of a sibling of Leander Holm if he had any. and if they came to this country.
Thank you again for information.
Bonita

christer
05-01-09, 22:21
Hi
I did try to search for Jemina and Leander at the regional archive in Vasa today with no success,they are not found in any Kokkola record.I have to focus on passportrecords 1883-1886, i started to search but run out of time when the archive closed and it will not be open in the evening until next week tuesday so i will do a new try then.A lot of pages to scroll thru.If i find Leander and Jemina we will know about their children and parents too so i just have to find the right tread and thats why i asked you about Leanders and Jeminas naturalization records in Chisholm because they might give us the place of birth etc.
Christer

D J Granlund
06-01-09, 17:27
My aunt Ruth was married to Ted Holmes in Floodwood and I have a lot of relatives from the Prairie Lake area. Is it possible Ted is of that clan?

bonita420
06-01-09, 18:53
Hi
I did try to search for Jemina and Leander at the regional archive in Vasa today with no success,they are not found in any Kokkola record.I have to focus on passportrecords 1883-1886, i started to search but run out of time when the archive closed and it will not be open in the evening until next week tuesday so i will do a new try then.A lot of pages to scroll thru.If i find Leander and Jemina we will know about their children and parents too so i just have to find the right tread and thats why i asked you about Leanders and Jeminas naturalization records in Chisholm because they might give us the place of birth etc.
ChristerHi Christer,
I am having problems getting that info for you, but I will let you know when I get it.
Bonita

bonita420
06-01-09, 23:53
My aunt Ruth was married to Ted Holmes in Floodwood and I have a lot of relatives from the Prairie Lake area. Is it possible Ted is of that clan?
Hi there,
I knew both Ted and Ruth, but I don't know if there is a connection because I don't know if Leander Holmes had siblings and if he did, if they came here. When I find out I will post it.
Interesting,
Bonita

christer
07-01-09, 19:53
Hi Bonita
Attached the Leander Holm naturalization record index for you , seems to be online at Iron Range Research Center.As you see we have a different spelling for Mrs Holm Gemina Kaupa,well it dont help much because there are no people atleast in Kokkola with name Kaupa or Kauppa.

Christer

June Pelo
07-01-09, 20:59
There was a family in Karleby that used the Kauppila name - could that have been shortened to Kaupa? He was Anders Johansson Jubbila-Kauppila, b. 19 Oct 1770 in Karleby married to Elisabeth Andersdotter Fordell. They had a son Anders, b. 1808 in Karleby. Then they probably moved to Lochteå and had a son Jakob born there in 1813 who took the name Niemelä. One of his descendants is Sauli Yli-Kahila in Canada. Kauppila names were found in Kemi and Teuva also. And how about Kauppinen - there were many in Halso and Vetil.

bonita420
08-01-09, 20:53
There was a family in Karleby that used the Kauppila name - could that have been shortened to Kaupa? He was Anders Johansson Jubbila-Kauppila, b. 19 Oct 1770 in Karleby married to Elisabeth Andersdotter Fordell. They had a son Anders, b. 1808 in Karleby. Then they probably moved to Lochteå and had a son Jakob born there in 1813 who took the name Niemelä. One of his descendants is Sauli Yli-Kahila in Canada. Kauppila names were found in Kemi and Teuva also. And how about Kauppinen - there were many in Halso and Vetil.Thank you for that information. It could very well be of my great-grandparents.
Bonita

bonita420
08-01-09, 21:01
Hi Bonita
Attached the Leander Holm naturalization record index for you , seems to be online at Iron Range Research Center.As you see we have a different spelling for Mrs Holm Gemina Kaupa,well it dont help much because there are no people atleast in Kokkola with name Kaupa or Kauppa.

Christer
Hi Christer,
That could explain why I haven't been able to find anything. {the spelling} When I get the records I will post what I find. Maybe June would be able to find more depending on where they were from in Finland.
Thank you,
Bonita

christer
28-01-09, 21:09
Hi Bonita
It took a long time but i did find your greatgrandparents.
Leander Karlsson Holm was born Jan 26 1851 in Kronoby,neighbour parish to Kokkola, he moved to Helsinki , capitol of Finland, dec 28 1876 where he met Gemina Hedvigsdotter born May 2 1860 in Keuruu, in south of Finland.Gemina moved to Helsinki Oct 28 1875 using the surname Kopare.There are farm names Kopare in Keuruu so i think she lived on Kopare farm for a while ,will check this thing.Gemina s mother Hedvig Stina used surname Palomäki.Leander and Gemina got married Aug 4 1877 probably in Helsinki. They seem to have moved to St Petersburg ( Russia) because their daughter Aina Maria is born March 17 1878 in St Petersburg,their son Johan Alfred is born June 4 1883 in Sordavala ( Finnish Karelia, Russia today)
and they returned to Helsinki, and moved again from Helsinki to Kronoby July 18 1883. There is no emigration dates for the family in Kronoby churchbook just a note " in Amerika" so i dont know yet if 1883 and 1886 are correct.There is no notes eighter about any deaths of children so i do think the children emigrated too, will try to figure this out too.Well, i think this is all so far, i do have data on the parents of Leander and Gemina so i will add that later too when i have checked all this info so it will take some time.
Regards Christer

bonita420
29-01-09, 02:07
:) Hi Christer,
I am still waiting for the naturalization papers from Ironworld. They told me they are really busy, but hoped to have them sent to me by the middle of the week. {that was last week when I got an email} How extremely interesting! I am really anticipating the information on Leander's and Gemina's parents.
You are marvelous finding all that for me! Everyone on this site is remarkable! I am forever grateful that I found the Finlander Forum!
Thank you immensely,
Bonita

bonita420
01-02-09, 01:09
Hi Bonita
It took a long time but i did find your greatgrandparents.
Leander Karlsson Holm was born Jan 26 1851 in Kronoby,neighbour parish to Kokkola, he moved to Helsinki , capitol of Finland, dec 28 1876 where he met Gemina Hedvigsdotter born May 2 1860 in Keuruu, in south of Finland.Gemina moved to Helsinki Oct 28 1875 using the surname Kopare.There are farm names Kopare in Keuruu so i think she lived on Kopare farm for a while ,will check this thing.Gemina s mother Hedvig Stina used surname Palomäki.Leander and Gemina got married Aug 4 1877 probably in Helsinki. They seem to have moved to St Petersburg ( Russia) because their daughter Aina Maria is born March 17 1878 in St Petersburg,their son Johan Alfred is born June 4 1883 in Sordavala ( Finnish Karelia, Russia today)
and they returned to Helsinki, and moved again from Helsinki to Kronoby July 18 1883. There is no emigration dates for the family in Kronoby churchbook just a note " in Amerika" so i dont know yet if 1883 and 1886 are correct.There is no notes eighter about any deaths of children so i do think the children emigrated too, will try to figure this out too.Well, i think this is all so far, i do have data on the parents of Leander and Gemina so i will add that later too when i have checked all this info so it will take some time.
Regards Christer
Hi Christer,
I received the documents today from Ironworld about Leander and Gemina. All of the information you provided me is absolutely correct! They came here in 1883 with 2 children. Aina Maria and Johan Fredrick. There are various spellings of Gemina's surname, {Kopar, Kopare, Kauppa and Kaupa.} There is nothing in the documents regarding their parents. They were granted citizenship in November 04, 1907. I got copies of their application and of them renouncing the Russian Czar etc. How very interesting! They came over on the Briemen? ship or something like that. I have to read them some more when I have some quiet time for myself.
Just thought I'd let you know that you are indeed on the right track!
Bonita

christer
21-02-09, 20:49
Hi Bonita
Attached the info i found about Holm and Kopare families starting with son Johan Holm,due to the 100 years limit there is no info after 1900 but you certainly have distant cousins both in Keuruu and Kronoby.It was interesting about the Kopare surname ,i could not get it at first why Gemina used surname Kopare as her mother and grandparents used surname Palomäki.I found out that Gemina's uncle Mooses Lehtonen ( Palomäki) married a lady named Gemina Kopare so there was two Gemina in the family and probably this have something to do with the fact that Gemina b.1860 took the name Kopare just before she moved to Helsinki.Who knows. It will be your job to find out what happened to Leander and Geminas child Aina Maria b.March 17 1878 If you find her you probably get some more cousins.Perhaps some Finlander member can give you some help too.
Best regards
Christer

bonita420
23-02-09, 03:26
Hi Christer,
My goodness did you ever find a lot of information for me!! I will be forever thankful!! It would have taken me a lifetime as I am not so good at research, yet.

I did find out that Aina {daughter of Leander and Gemina} died in Michigan, USA sometime in the 1930's. I remember being at John Holm's funeral, he died in December 1964 in Minnesota, USA one week before my oldest son was born.

Thank you again,
Bonita