PDA

View Full Version : What does "upl." / "uppl." stand for?

seele01
19-01-09, 21:34
I have a quick death record abbreviation question...

http://hiski.genealogia.fi/hiski?en+t6242045

What does "upl." stand for? HisKi says "upl.", and my scan of the actual record from the LDS microfilm says his occupation is - "bonde, uppl." My two candidates are "upplyst", meaning enlightened I think, and "upplöst", meaning dissolved I think...but I am no expert, and it could be something else.

If it means enlightened, I am assuming it means he was a fully knowledgeable member of the church? And if it means disolved...what does that mean?

Anyways, thanks for the help!

granskare
06-02-09, 21:21
does the hiski link you show refer to your relative?

http://www.familysearch.org/Eng/Search/rg/frameset_rg.asp?Dest=G1&Aid=&Gid=&Lid=&Sid=&Did=&Juris1=&Event=&Year=&Gloss=&Sub=&Tab=&Entry=&Guide=WLSweden.ASP

edit: url above; this is a nice place for Swedish terms

seele01
06-02-09, 23:30
Hey thanks for the reply!

Yeah, the person on HisKi that I linked to is my great great grandfather, Isak Andersson.

And I appreciate the link, but I couldnt find a word in the "U" section that would fit "upl." or "uppl.". Thanks, though!

granskare
06-02-09, 23:44
then I would believe the term, upl. is a Finnish language abbreviation and not Swedish. Other than the actual text entries, everything is likely to be in modern day Finnish. Then term, HisKi = historiakirjat so try to translation help with Finnish.

somehow my edit didn't take: because you saw it in the original scan, it's got to be swedish so maybe you can scan that portion for ppl here?

an even better place for abbreviations is genline out of Sweden: http://www.genline.com/resources/dictionary_abbreviations.php?page=a

getting a scan of the original is important because you may have misinterpreted the old letter styles of some of these vicars or clerks...I've seen a lot of strange stuff so maybe?

June Pelo
07-02-09, 02:04
Neither my Swedish nor Finnish dictionary has an abbreviation: Upl or Uppl. Frustrating.

granskare
07-02-09, 02:07
Which lends support to my request that the scan be put online here because I have made errors in reading old Swedish...perhaps we shall see that scan shortly...

kivinen1
07-02-09, 08:52
Could it be upplaga?

As in "edition"?

seele01
07-02-09, 16:10
Thanks for the help and support, everyone!

Here is the image, as requested. It isnt the best quality, cause I took a digital picture of my printing of the microfilm of the original (lol).

Isak Andersson is the second from the top.

seele01
19-02-09, 16:51
Anyway, now that you all have seen the image, does anyone have a clue as to what it all means?

Thanks for the help, everyone. Sorry for being persistant, but I am a curious genealogist, lol.

granskare
19-02-09, 17:36
maybe it begins with a different letter? the ppl in Finland should be able to handle this quickly for you.:)

kivinen1
19-02-09, 23:35
Anyway, now that you all have seen the image, does anyone have a clue as to what it all means?

Thanks for the help, everyone. Sorry for being persistant, but I am a curious genealogist, lol.

Now, by looking, I would say that it could be a witness or something like that? i.e., uppleva = experience / witness.

Or could it be a notation as to upplyst = enlightened [as in knew the scripture?]

Just some thoughts.

granskare
20-02-09, 03:25
the 6th person down, Johan Enberg, has a similar term and perhaps the handwriting there is clearer, especially if one increases the size of the scan...perhaps it begins with letter "a" ?

kivinen1
20-02-09, 08:49
The first link is to a thread that I created once upon a time. It is regarding cause of death. The second link should be the page that it brings you to.

http://finlander.genealogia.fi/showpost.php?p=22814&postcount=1

http://www.saunalahti.fi/hirvela/historismi_sivut/deathsivu.html

It appears he died of consumption / tuberculosis.

Perhaps the uppl. = associated with status.

There are those listed there that are "ogift" or un-married.

Jaska Sarell
20-02-09, 10:15
I put the question into Finnish Suku Forum yesterday, and got two propositions, so far anyway. They are the same Rob originally thought of.

1. upplyst = enlightened, used specially for körtti movement, but that active area was and is in the north. Not a likely explanation in Borgå/Porvoo.
2. upplöst = dissolved, meaning that marriage was dissolved when husband or wife died. However, I spotted one such remark for a widow and one for an unmarried woman. Mostly they seem to fit.

If other explanations appear, I'll post them here.

:) Jaska

seele01
22-02-09, 19:24
Thanks for the links, Kivinen, that site is definately great! Its too bad he died of consumption or whatever when he did. Maybe his son (my grt-grandfather) wouldnt have become a counterfeitter lol. But then again, he did become a missionary to the African continent...lol

granskare, that is an interesting idea...but the only word I can find using the above mentioned site is appellation, which means "appeal/complaint", which really doesnt fit the context. Honestly I think it is a "u", not an "a", but then again, I could be wrong!

Jaska, thanks for posting on the Finnish Suku forum. Its interesting that the "enlightened" idea (upplyst) wouldnt apply for a southern Finnish city like Porvoo. That is where asking a native Finn like you and the Suku forum people comes in handy! I am interested in the "dissolved marriage" (upplöst) idea... Isak Andersson was married to (Kri)stina Johansdotter...and she seems to DROP off the records after he dies. I have no clue where she goes, or even when she dies. It would make sense that left and remarried or something...hmm...I am going to have todo some more research here...

Anyway, thank you everyone for your support and help in solving this strange abbreviation! Thanks!

Kaj Granlund
05-03-09, 20:39
All the text is written in Swedish and the parish records were written in Swedish at that time so that is a Swedish abbreviation. I sent an email to a person that should know this. If she knows I'll let you know.
uppl - could also indicate "uppland" or "upplands" (inland or upstreams).

If the wife "disappears" after his death it usually indicates:
a) she remarried (Check marriage records in the same and neighbor parishes)
b) she moved to another farm/village/town maybe where some of their children were living
c) she moved to another parish (check records of people leaving the parish for another)

Jaska Sarell
05-03-09, 21:41
That remark seems to appear in 1840's in many death records in Porvoo/Borgå, except for unmarried or widows. So I think uppl[öst] has been used there like g[ift], i.e. married, in most other places.
Simple explanations are often the best :cool:

:) Jaska

seele01
06-03-09, 16:13
Kaj and Jaska, thank you very much for your continued help and support.

I wish I had more information on Isak Andersson's wife. She is one of the main reasons I need the Adult Communion records from Porvoo, in order to figure out what she did with herself after her husband died. That would help determine if she "dissolved" the marriage and remarried or whatever.

Jaska, you very well may be right. Occam's Razor always works! ;)

seele01
14-03-09, 02:02
Just a heads up, I (finally) found (Kri)Stina Johansdotter's death record, and it states her occupation as a "bonde enka"...so I guess she never remarried or anything. I guess that means that Jaska's upplöst explanation is correct.

Thanks to everyone who helped solve the mystery!! You guys rock.